Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's been almost two years since Dying Light: The Following came out and they're still doing fun little community events every now and then, like their current Valentine's day one, where they encourage people to hit certain milestones (in this case completing a collective 1,000,000 co-op quests) in exchange for new items.

They also keep doing small free content releases for the game, though some of the cosmetic stuff in them is gated behind their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So Bungie had a shitstorm with their horribly-managed Christmas-New Years event in Destiny 2. They over-focused on microtransactions, enabling you to only obtain a pitiful amount of the cosmetic gear that was specially made for the holiday season without buying a bunch of MT currency and then buying the special lootboxes that contained holiday kit.

The community let them know they hosed up for a solid month. So their current holiday event, Crimson Days, works in the exact opposite direction: Every time you level up or would have levelled up past 20 or 25 (expansion dependent), you get your regular level-up loot pack, plus a Crimson Days pack. You also get Crimson Days packs for completing matches in the special PvP event, completing weekly and daily milestones, and when completing sets of bonus challenges.

The one way you absolutely can not get loot packs for Crimson Days is by purchasing them directly. The ingame currency "bright dust" can be used to buy some of the special items from the cosmetics vendor, but there's no options to buy Crimson Engrams from her. You have to play the game to get Crimson Engrams, and there are plenty of ways to get them. It's nice when developers actually listen to their communities.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Exit Strategy posted:

So Bungie had a shitstorm with their horribly-managed Christmas-New Years event in Destiny 2. They over-focused on microtransactions, enabling you to only obtain a pitiful amount of the cosmetic gear that was specially made for the holiday season without buying a bunch of MT currency and then buying the special lootboxes that contained holiday kit.

The community let them know they hosed up for a solid month. So their current holiday event, Crimson Days, works in the exact opposite direction: Every time you level up or would have levelled up past 20 or 25 (expansion dependent), you get your regular level-up loot pack, plus a Crimson Days pack. You also get Crimson Days packs for completing matches in the special PvP event, completing weekly and daily milestones, and when completing sets of bonus challenges.

The one way you absolutely can not get loot packs for Crimson Days is by purchasing them directly. The ingame currency "bright dust" can be used to buy some of the special items from the cosmetics vendor, but there's no options to buy Crimson Engrams from her. You have to play the game to get Crimson Engrams, and there are plenty of ways to get them. It's nice when developers actually listen to their communities.

It's a nice change. It just sucks that the actual gameplay is still just as mediocre as ever and limiting PVP to two people is the exact opposite of the primary feedback which was people wanting more players. I kind of want some of the new valentines poo poo, but I feel zero desire to play the exact same content I've played so much already because there's nothing left to do in that game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

I kind of want some of the new valentines poo poo, but I feel zero desire to play the exact same content I've played so much already because there's nothing left to do in that game.

Destiny 2 doesn't have monthly fees or anything, so you can beat the story and do all the things you think are fun and then put it down and play a different game, because you beat Destiny 2.

I don't really understand people that complain about 'no endgame' in a game that doesn't demand your attention. The game isn't a grind, you can spend a reasonably amount of time on it and you're done!

(the PvP is still boring and the random events are too)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jehde posted:

Perfect Dark was a better game. However GoldenEye tickles the nostalgia bone more readily since it was my introduction to multiplayer FPS and to 007 in general. GoldenEye was a much bigger phenomenon.

If there's one thing that really drags down PD in my opinion, it's the story. Or at least the tone. Deus Ex filtered through Rare's goofy sense of humor doesn't come out the other end very appealing and the whole game just feels off once you get past the first couple of levels.

Also you couldn't use the Goldeneye guns in multiplayer in the original version.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Is Perfect Dark for 360 the exact same game as the N64 original, just with improved graphics? I have the remaster but from my fuzzy memories of the N64 version the 360 one feels more of a sequel-lite sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jojoinnit posted:

Is Perfect Dark for 360 the exact same game as the N64 original, just with improved graphics? I have the remaster but from my fuzzy memories of the N64 version the 360 one feels more of a sequel-lite sort of thing.

You're thinking of Perfect Dark Zero, which was a prequel. There is indeed also a port of Perfect Dark with improved graphics though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Farsight was great. And the Laptop Gun, and the Dragon. And the Mauler and the Reaper. gently caress Perfect Dark had some of the most fun FPS weapons ever. It even had the Klobb and some ridiculous submachine gun with the ability to empty the entire ammo with one press.

And all the sim personalities.

Ugh, just get some old devs in to make Imperfect Twilight and bang it on the Switch already

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

The Farsight was great. And the Laptop Gun, and the Dragon. And the Mauler and the Reaper. gently caress Perfect Dark had some of the most fun FPS weapons ever. It even had the Klobb and some ridiculous submachine gun with the ability to empty the entire ammo with one press.

And all the sim personalities.

Ugh, just get some old devs in to make Imperfect Twilight and bang it on the Switch already

The Cyclone is the SMG you're thinking of. Using it with infinite ammo is insanely fun, because the clip never ends :supaburn:.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The only thing Perfect Dark on 360 seems to be missing is Shigeru Miyamoto’s head as an option in multiplayer. :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're thinking of Perfect Dark Zero, which was a prequel. There is indeed also a port of Perfect Dark with improved graphics though.

Oh drat there are two PD games for 360? :dance:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

Oh drat there are two PD games for 360? :dance:

Not so fast there, jojoinnit. Perfect Dark was one of my favorite games during my childhood and Perfect Dark Zero was a huge disappointment to me. Can't speak for the PD re-master though, never played that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Imagine if PD was a ~totally kEwL~ Saturday morning 3D animated show from the mid-2000s and you've got a pretty good picture of PDZ. I'm pretty sure aside from a few names and winks to the original game it has basically nothing to do Perfect Dark at all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cyclone is the SMG you're thinking of. Using it with infinite ammo is insanely fun, because the clip never ends :supaburn:.

That's the one. Man, even the names were good.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

John Murdoch posted:

Imagine if PD was a ~totally kEwL~ Saturday morning 3D animated show from the mid-2000s and you've got a pretty good picture of PDZ. I'm pretty sure aside from a few names and winks to the original game it has basically nothing to do Perfect Dark at all.

The biggest problem with PDZ was it felt half complete. Like they literally used half of everything that was supposed to be in the game.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

When I played Perfect Dark Zero as a teen I liked the combat rolls you could do, and despite everyone hating on it I liked how everything looked like claymation dipped in oil.

When you get a game for Christmas, you play it, and I played the gently caress out of PD:Z.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Secret of Mana remake is a bunch of fun. The dialog seems mostly unchanged, and it's now voice acted, and I'm loving hearing that cheesy poo poo said out loud, by real people.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

The Secret of Mana remake is a bunch of fun. The dialog seems mostly unchanged, and it's now voice acted, and I'm loving hearing that cheesy poo poo said out loud, by real people.

I don't myself, which is why I'm glad I can mute the voice overs. Appreciate the extra work for those who do enjoy them though!

e: but really I only bought it in hopes of a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake/port/whatever for PC

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
The first wave of reviews does not look flattering, though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol

"Nothing like the original."

later in the same review

"the beginning story beats are just as bad too. They banish the main character for dooming their town because the Sword of Mana protected it. NEWSFLASH, your town is still doomed! The people have lived with this kid since he was a baby!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think it's definitely a remake for people who love the game. It seems pretty close to the original, so if you're just coming into it, or unreceptive to an old RPG, I don't think you'd like it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Carmen Sandiego: Secret of the Stolen Drums.

It was pretty fun overall, despite a frustrating moment in the final level with some tricky platforming. Carmen's a charming character and the game has a cute ending despite a final boss who was somewhat lame, although all the bosses aren't too interesting.

The most climactic one was the second boss. They're all just bigger variants on the Mystic Enemies with gimmicks based on how you fight them, so the boss of the Air Elements (which are best dispatched with the blowgun), has three targets to blowgun on it's body to hurt it, the Earth Element boss (which are large gorilla type enemies to attack when they aren't) is best to dodge it's attacks and hit it in the face when it roars, and the Fire Element boss (which need to have their fireballs hit back at them) needs to be stunned with the environment before you can hit him.

The levels are well laid out, initially seeming big and daunting but there is just one path that you take to navigate it. It's just very circuitous, but it feels interesting because part of the puzzle is figuring out how to get to the next part of the level. Stealth combat is OK with normal combat being wonky but functional.

Overall, a good PS2 game that I bought for £1.50.

Edit: According to the manual the new game plus means a different ending. May replay in the future to see that. Neat, although I have other things I wanna play right now.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Feb 15, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

Imagine if PD was a ~totally kEwL~ Saturday morning 3D animated show from the mid-2000s and you've got a pretty good picture of PDZ.

Ah so it's Overwatch with slightly less pandering lesbianism?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy's real mad about a webcomic.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

bewilderment posted:

Destiny 2 doesn't have monthly fees or anything, so you can beat the story and do all the things you think are fun and then put it down and play a different game, because you beat Destiny 2.

I don't really understand people that complain about 'no endgame' in a game that doesn't demand your attention. The game isn't a grind, you can spend a reasonably amount of time on it and you're done!

Eh, I think the thing about Destiny is that Bungie's been marketing it for years as a game that you'll never stop playing because there's always something new to do. When the "something new" is "do this mission that you've done 100 times before, but this time the enemies have blue shields instead of red!", the complaint is valid.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Exactly. They even tried to promote the term "lifestyle" game to suit it, but even the most casual players run through the content pretty quickly. I don't think anyone is realistically expecting new campaigns every fortnight, but the game still feels anaemic even after an expansion pack.

If it had lots more missions, or lots more loot, it wouldn't feel as bad...but it has a limited pool of missions and even more restricted loot. In any game about collecting gear, that's terrible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the big differences with D2 is that unlike D1 the loot has fixed perk sets. In the first game every drop of a particular gun you got was slightly different and potentially a step up over what you already had; in 2 they're indistinguishable. This removes a lot of the motivation to grind because it's pretty easy to assemble the objectively best loadout in the game, or to get every single gun you have even a passing interest in, and then you're done. All that's left is grinding lootboxes for cosmetics.

This theoretically makes it easier to balance PVP, but they also ruined the PVP in a bunch of unrelated ways.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bewilderment posted:

Because in the first game there was always something to do, even after you beat it. Shaders to unlock by doing various tasks. Cool cosmetic poo poo to find like the raid ships and sparrows. Random perks and stats on weapons and armor meant if you wanted to look cool and have idealized stats you'd have to keep hunting. There were even strike-specific items that could roll good perks, or just looked excellent. Even the PVP was fun, even if you weren't great at it. I never managed to clear a full card of trials but me and my friend still tried every weekend and had a blast doing it.

In Destiny 2 there's loving nothing. Almost all of the cosmetics are just locked behind the eververse. You never feel rewarded for actually playing the game. PVP is a slow lovely slog with no quality matchmaking. There's no reason to do strikes any more because they just churn out the same items you get doing public events. The same poo poo you get opening random chests. The same poo poo you already have because there's nothing interesting to find in the game anywhere. It's all just tokens and by now everyone has thousands of tokens because there's no reason to spend them. Items drop with fixed stats and fixed rolls so every gun is the same, every bit of armor is the same. There's no customizing your skills beyond picking one of two perk trees. There's nothing to engage with Destiny 2. It feels like they released a demo and forgot to include the rest of the game on release.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Leavemywife posted:

Something I find adorable is they now use singular "they" as pronoun for Popoi, the Sprite. The original translation on the SNES used "he" a couple of times, but that was inaccurate as the japanese version intentionally never specified a gender. Popoi was always my favorite character in SoM, I love gender-neutral characters in general, so this change warms my heart to see. :3:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I miss the grimoire. Or the ingame version of my dreams.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

Ah so it's Overwatch with slightly less pandering lesbianism?

What? Explain how it's pandering when it's never mentioned or referenced outside of a comic.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What? Explain how it's pandering when it's never mentioned or referenced outside of a comic.

It's not. There are, however, the usual suspects in regards the fan community. It's understandable that one could conflate the two, given that as superheroes the character designs tend to try for extreme physical attractiveness on one scale or another.

e: Subsurface Circular has really good mechanical design for its characters.

Exit Strategy has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Feb 16, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Biplane posted:

I dont agree with your opinion but i will defend your right to have it with my life. COMRADE

:wal: Good, because I've had it with your life, too!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It exists at all, which is clearly the homosexual agenda pushing its throbbing hard cock straight down Guy's throat.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
God, it feels like while games have figured out what direct incentives are. But they have no idea of how to encourage a social community in any competitive idea that actually isn't a piranha solution of spite towards anyone that isn't on the ball. I guess this varies depending on the game. Even the ones that manage, place the player on the treadmill and obscure their standing towards other players.

Like it can subsist if you have a large enough player base. But if you do not then it gets toxic for the anyone new coming in and stagnant because new people have no want to play a game where you need to lose for however long before you can win and you're playing against people that have been doing it for a decade.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Zanzibar Ham posted:

lol

"Nothing like the original."

later in the same review

"the beginning story beats are just as bad too. They banish the main character for dooming their town because the Sword of Mana protected it. NEWSFLASH, your town is still doomed! The people have lived with this kid since he was a baby!"

Legitimate question here. As I recall from the SNES version, the reason why the boy got banished from his hometown was not because the sword was protecting the town. Rather, the sword's presence was inevitably going to attract more monsters that would be seeking to either destroy or steal the sword. This is the reason why you had to fight the Mantis Ant, and indeed later there are other boss fights that come basically out of nowhere. It is subverting the cliche of the hero's doomed hometown without actually breaking the fourth wall. You are the chosen one? Get out before we become collateral damage.

Did the remake mess up this bit of writing, or was that reviewer just terrible at reading?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

maou shoujo posted:

Legitimate question here. As I recall from the SNES version, the reason why the boy got banished from his hometown was not because the sword was protecting the town. Rather, the sword's presence was inevitably going to attract more monsters that would be seeking to either destroy or steal the sword. This is the reason why you had to fight the Mantis Ant, and indeed later there are other boss fights that come basically out of nowhere. It is subverting the cliche of the hero's doomed hometown without actually breaking the fourth wall. You are the chosen one? Get out before we become collateral damage.

Did the remake mess up this bit of writing, or was that reviewer just terrible at reading?

The only difference I noticed at the start was that the spirit that talks to you when you pick up the sword is a lot less snarky, otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Otherwise I'd say the remake is too faithful to the original for a new audience. The battle system hasn't really aged well IMO, though maybe the magic system will be different? Also no way (that I could see) to check new equipment stats before buying, only who can equip them :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's pretty well spot-on. It's definitely a remake for those who loved the original game. I can see new players not getting into it, or giving it poo poo, because it's a 1993 game, prettied up, and released today.

I love the game and I'm enjoying my time with it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it to someone who didn't like the original.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I wonder if the remake removes the ability to multicast every spell forever if you tell the AI to do it, so that the boss never gets a turn if you do it correctly.

Because I stumbled upon that as a kid playing the game and cheesed every boss forever, so I'd be tempted to try the remake just on the basis of it not letting me do that even if I'm tempted...

Also, I'm super curious if it is therefore confirmed as a bug, or if they don't remove it, if it always was a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I wonder if the remake removes the ability to multicast every spell forever if you tell the AI to do it, so that the boss never gets a turn if you do it correctly.

Because I stumbled upon that as a kid playing the game and cheesed every boss forever, so I'd be tempted to try the remake just on the basis of it not letting me do that even if I'm tempted...

Also, I'm super curious if it is therefore confirmed as a bug, or if they don't remove it, if it always was a feature.

I don't think you can do that. It seems like I haven't been able to get the magic menu back up quick enough, but I haven't actually tried yet.

Though, a great improvement is that you can shortcut spells, items, or weapons to L1 and R1, which makes it much easier to blast boss weaknesses. A lot of the boss arenas also seem much bigger, making it easier to dodge their attacks.