Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It would make sense that Goku has some insane metabolism given that he's basically exercising all the time. It's like high intensity interval training, without the intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

You should check out his DBS analysis/reviews on YouTube. Now that's grating.

My favorite part about his videos is that he neither reviews nor analyses anything. He just summarises and whoops the video is over already, thanks for watching.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite part about his videos is that he neither reviews nor analyses anything. He just summarises and whoops the video is over already, thanks for watching.

His camera is too good. I don't need to see that much of his facial detail.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

seiferguy posted:

It would make sense that Goku has some insane metabolism given that he's basically exercising all the time. It's like high intensity interval training, without the intervals.

Nah that's Vegeta, Goku is often shown doing lighter more chill training.

Vegeta on the other hand is always on 500x gravity with weights punch kicking and dodging ki blasts.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Momomo posted:

It is so utterly bizarre how Gohan-centered this is considering what the Buu saga turns into. Goku is only in like three shots total of this whole thing.

I only watched the Buu saga when I was a kid, but from what I recall, the beginning heavily emphasized on Gohan's university/Saiyaman days, then the tournament begins but the focus is still on him what with his girlfriend getting beat into thin paste and him getting his energy drained...and then the next thing I recall is Vegeta berating Goku for how Gohan has soften up and then the focus goes completely back to Goku.

What happened behind the scenes? Did a popularity poll came out and Gohan ranked low?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Toriyama is a very fickle writer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Raserys posted:

They should make a new season of super and the twist is gohan actually gets his amazing power from chichi

Chichi made it to the quarterfinals of the tenkaichi budokai and is legitimately one of the strongest humans on the planet.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

P-Mack posted:

Chichi made it to the quarterfinals of the tenkaichi budokai and is legitimately one of the strongest humans on the planet.
Maybe back in Dragon Ball, but she hasn't trained for like, twenty years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Neither did Freeza.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Chi chi is going to put the Zen-ohs in their place by forcing them to study instead of playing games all day.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Are you telling me that smacking around Goku and chasing after two Super Saiyan kids doesn't count as training?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't she also help train Goten for a while?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Didn't she also help train Goten for a while?

Yeah, Goten went Super Saiyan while fighting her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I'm definitely ok with not having to listen to Masako trying to sound like a grown up.

They actually announced that they were planning to have Justin Briner voice older Gohan. You know, the guy who plays Deku in the dub of MHA.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

I only watched the Buu saga when I was a kid, but from what I recall, the beginning heavily emphasized on Gohan's university/Saiyaman days, then the tournament begins but the focus is still on him what with his girlfriend getting beat into thin paste and him getting his energy drained...and then the next thing I recall is Vegeta berating Goku for how Gohan has soften up and then the focus goes completely back to Goku.

What happened behind the scenes? Did a popularity poll came out and Gohan ranked low?

Toriyama couldn't write gohan like goku so he said gently caress it and brought goku back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think putting DBZA to bed with the end of the Cell saga is the best call. There's clearly behind the scenes strife and production issues which has made the release schedule downright painful, the series has already peaked creatively with the Frieza saga and the Buu saga is by far the worst saga in DBZ in any case. Best to end at a clear story break on a high.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah for God’s sake let go, recognize when a thing is at its peak and going out strong, and let it end

Doing the Buu Saga would be a tremendous mistake

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DBZA will end with Gohan surpassing his father and taking his place as the hero of the story and then nothing else ever happened!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Buu Saga is my favorite and the more I think about it the less I want them to do it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm fine with them not doing Buu, but I am crossing my fingers for abridged versions of the other movies

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

DBZA will end with Gohan surpassing his father and taking his place as the hero of the story and then nothing else ever happened!

what about that girl who said he's cute on tv??

wHAT ABOUT THE BOJACK MOVIE YAAAR

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm fine with them not doing Buu, but I am crossing my fingers for abridged versions of the other movies

I'm sure they'll at least do Bojack considering they've made so many jokes about it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure they'll at least do Bojack considering they've made so many jokes about it.

Unless the payoff to that joke is "Cell killed Bojack when he blew up King Kai's planet"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rhonne posted:

Unless the payoff to that joke is "Cell killed Bojack when he blew up King Kai's planet"

Bojack wasn't inside the planet, the planet itself acted as one of the seals iirc and that weakened his prison enough to escape.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

dr.acula posted:

Bojack wasn't inside the planet, the planet itself acted as one of the seals iirc and that weakened his prison enough to escape.

No I'm pretty sure he's inside the planet and King Kai tells him to shut up multiple times

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

seiferguy posted:

That just made me think of something. Shouldn't Future Trunks have insane metabolism as well?

If he grew up in a world that suffered from constant attacks from the Androids, wouldn't food be kind of scarce? And from that small scene at the start of the Goku Black saga, it seemed like canned goods were considered a luxury. So did Future Trunks grew up not having much to eat? :(

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah I agree with this since there's way more to make fun of in the remaining movies then in the Buu saga.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

yea the whole beginning is about gohan and even after goku and vegeta's fight, gohan's being set up by supreme kai as their one hope. goku's adamant about not fighting their fights too

that's obviously not how it ended up but there's a ton of setup and characterization for gohan in the buu saga

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
There was a real missed opportunity to have Great Saiyaman be the actual savior of mankind.

I still refuse to believe that given the choice he would actually choose to dress like absentee father all of a sudden.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

There was a real missed opportunity to have Great Saiyaman be the actual savior of mankind.
I mean let's not pretend Gohan hasn't gone full Batman. Husband by day, vigilante by night.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo I choked on my own laughter. Why?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

they only said they would be ending DBZ Abridged

get ready for GT Abridged

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

lezard_valeth posted:

I went back and counted. It's just like 9 chapters that are slightly more Gohan centric in the comic before Goku returns in the Buu saga. The tournament initially focuses on Trunks, Goten and Mr Satan for almost as long as Gohans solo run went on. And Gohan has never been anywhere near as popular as Goku. If the anime stretches out those chapters to multiple hours, to the point where people assume he's the new protagonist, then it's an adaptation issue, but just browsing through it, it goes by pretty quick.

I don't think this is Toriyama being fickle, and doing whatever. It's just the start of a new thing after a time skip before Toriyama hones in on something.
How many episodes did they squeeze out of this in the anime back in the day?
I only ever read the manga because I couldn't stand the pacing of the anime.
Is there some place where you can look up an episode guide for the original series (not Kai)?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

I went back and counted. It's just like 9 chapters that are slightly more Gohan centric in the comic before Goku returns in the Buu saga. The tournament initially focuses on Trunks, Goten and Mr Satan for almost as long as Gohans solo run went on. And Gohan has never been anywhere near as popular as Goku. If the anime stretches out those chapters to multiple hours, to the point where people assume he's the new protagonist, then it's an adaptation issue, but just browsing through it, it goes by pretty quick.

I don't think this is Toriyama being fickle, and doing whatever. It's just the start of a new thing after a time skip before Toriyama hones in on something.
How many episodes did they squeeze out of this in the anime back in the day?
I only ever read the manga because I couldn't stand the pacing of the anime.
Is there some place where you can look up an episode guide for the original series (not Kai)?

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Saiyaman_Saga

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I watched a video where someone did the research and it turns out that Toriyama just decided Gohan was better as a scholar. He didn't feel like him being protag was right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

it's not just how long the high school stuff lasts (and if you're looking at the manga, everything moves way faster than the anime). even after goku shows up, the kids are being pushed as the saviors with goku himself taking the backseat and training them to take over for him. it culminates in gohan's showdown with super buu that doesn't go anywhere but they do keep the concept of people taking over goku's job as the defender of earth for a long time

maybe toriyama was playing a long con the whole time with the kids but you can't deny that most of the buu saga is telling you that goku's not gonna be the one to save the day at the end. with every other arc, even cell, the implication (both implied and stated directly by the cast) is that goku will save the day so that at least is a departure

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

amigolupus posted:

That just made me think of something. Shouldn't Future Trunks have insane metabolism as well?

If he grew up in a world that suffered from constant attacks from the Androids, wouldn't food be kind of scarce? And from that small scene at the start of the Goku Black saga, it seemed like canned goods were considered a luxury. So did Future Trunks grew up not having much to eat? :(

He should since their insane metabolism is a Saiyan thing not a training thing I think being half saiyan might temper it a bit since Gohan and Goten can keep it in check.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I still refuse to believe that given the choice he would actually choose to dress like absentee father all of a sudden.

Jokes aside Gohan actually does like Goku. The whole fandom/DBZA joke only works from a wow Gohan has like every reason not to like Goku.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean let's not pretend Gohan hasn't gone full Batman. Husband by day, vigilante by night.

Videl would get called by the police to bust up robberies we're way past that point.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zwiebel posted:

And Gohan has never been anywhere near as popular as Goku.

Popularity poll from the end of the Cell Saga

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh wow Trunks was 3rd? Hah least he was one thing over his dad :v:

Also wow this is the first time I actually saw the poll. I honestly thought it was an American thing about Gohans popularity. Glad I was wrong

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Popularity poll from the end of the Cell Saga

Ha, Mr. Satan is higher than Cell on that poll.

Not sure how Dende ended up at number 10 though.