Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Good example of idpol right here, thanks.

stop making GBS threads up the good thread plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Scent of Worf posted:

everyone who was involved in that gamergate poo poo are the first ones who will flip to full fash if/when things start going in that direction. there's a few gators on leftypol larping as leftists too

How do you know

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Congrats on ruining the best cspam thread idiots

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Congrats on ruining the best cspam thread idiots

Jeb and his friends gamergate discussion lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Jeb and his friends gamergate discussion lol

You were the one who brought up gamergate

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also Powercrazy isn't my friend, I'm on record calling him the worst poster in C-SPAM

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the sucking, when will it end?

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/964223741310963712

funny bc bari is extremely pro identity politics when it comes to israel

Yeah, once again a reminder that Weiss gained national notoriety by campaigning for the firing of a Palestinian professor at Columbia in a way that was so dishonest that a Israeli student who had served in the IDF organized students to defend the professor. And then she attacked the findings of the Columbia investigation that cleared the professor by saying that it was not the professor's individual actions, but how he made Zionist students "feel"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

trump and...who? mcmuffin? the only identity politics i recall from the hillary campaign were the identities of hillary clinton and some make-believe nonexistent moderate republican
Earlier this year, at a union rally in Henderson, Nevada, Hillary Clinton introduced a new theme in her stump speeches.

"If we broke up the big banks tomorrow," Clinton asked, "would that end racism?"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what are the rules of the NYT?

1. The USA never does wrong intentionally
2. Always support war

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the sucking, when will it end?

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/964223741310963712

funny bc bari is extremely pro identity politics when it comes to israel

"hmm, i'm going to read this article about identity politics, posted on the weekly standard, written by an evolutionary psychology advocate who's mostly known for thinking that there are biological differences in intelligence between different races and genders" - a loving idiot and/or racist

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Steven Pinker is just a less self-aggrandizing Jordan Peterson.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

Earlier this year, at a union rally in Henderson, Nevada, Hillary Clinton introduced a new theme in her stump speeches.

"If we broke up the big banks tomorrow," Clinton asked, "would that end racism?"

that line owned so hard

we could legalize weed tomorrow, but would that defeat ISIS?

we could grant amnesty to the dreamers tomorrow, but would that make abortion destigmatized, free, and legal?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, once again a reminder that Weiss gained national notoriety by campaigning for the firing of a Palestinian professor at Columbia in a way that was so dishonest that a Israeli student who had served in the IDF organized students to defend the professor. And then she attacked the findings of the Columbia investigation that cleared the professor by saying that it was not the professor's individual actions, but how he made Zionist students "feel"

it's sad that we can't discuss the threat the Zionist lobby/Jewish idpol has on American discourse, because it's real and it's toxic and it's more of a threat than whatever TPUSA does

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Troy Queef posted:

it's sad that we can't discuss the threat the Zionist lobby/Jewish idpol has on American discourse, because it's real and it's toxic and it's more of a threat than whatever TPUSA does

I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that the Zionist lobby pays people to lose sleep over Jewish American kids hating the IDF.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
it's cool that ppl like identity politics now that a nyt opinion piece is against it

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Main Paineframe posted:

"hmm, i'm going to read this article about identity politics, posted on the weekly standard, written by an evolutionary psychology advocate who's mostly known for thinking that there are biological differences in intelligence between different races and genders" - a loving idiot and/or racist

I know Pinker is a genetic essentialist but I have never heard him advance racial IQ theories. Saying that genetics is an under-appreciated influence on behavior is different than saying that there are genetic differences in racial intelligence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

I know Pinker is a genetic essentialist but I have never heard him advance racial IQ theories. Saying that genetics is an under-appreciated influence on behavior is different than saying that there are genetic differences in racial intelligence.

He doesn't outright say it, no. He just says that intelligence is an inherited, genetic, measurable attribute. He says that IQ tests largely measure genetic differences in intelligence. He says that there are definite genetic and biological differences between different races. And he says that the racial IQ difference can't be explained solely by environmental factors. Then he says "makes you think, huh?" and leaves it to Breitbart and the "highly intelligent people who gravitate to the alt-right" (as he puts it) to fill in the obvious blanks while he goes on an unprompted rant about politically correct anti-intellectual left-wing academia smothering real scientific debates and covering up verifiable truths in order to brainwash students into buying cultural dogma.

Sure, he claims that he doesn't think black-white differences (such as IQ gaps and incarceration rates) are genetic. But he complains when people attempt to attribute them solely to behavioral and environmental factors, and he also claims that the alt-right came about as a result of highly intelligent individuals breaking free of politically-correct left-wing dogma and finding out about the racial differences in crime rates that the anti-intellectual leftists don't want anyone to know about. And although he's unwilling to say that some races are inferior for genetic reasons, he's certainly comfortable with the idea that some races are superior for genetic reasons - and he says that if that becomes widely accepted, then people might be more open to the suggestion that some races are inferior for genetic reasons.

As Kite said, he's a less outspoken Jordan Peterson. He lays out a racist premise, and implies that an academic leftist conspiracy is covering up the truth of that premise, then avoids outright stating the racist conclusion, and if anyone points it out or calls him on it then he accuses the left of trying to use political correctness to shut him down with hysterical accusations. He praises the alt-right (who love him and regularly cite his work) and claims that they're only reacting naturally to the left-wing conspiracy, then he claims he doesn't really agree with them on anything and that the left is dishonestly trying to link him to Nazis to make him look bad. And then he writes self-help books that put him in the role of the comforting father figure trying to convince people to stop hating themselves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/964562405773725696

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/964659577273843712

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Political compass memes are gonna really suck when they're just pro or anti-Trump images.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm the 1,500 word email to my colleagues.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

He doesn't outright say it, no. He just says that intelligence is an inherited, genetic, measurable attribute. He says that IQ tests largely measure genetic differences in intelligence. He says that there are definite genetic and biological differences between different races. And he says that the racial IQ difference can't be explained solely by environmental factors. Then he says "makes you think, huh?" and leaves it to Breitbart and the "highly intelligent people who gravitate to the alt-right" (as he puts it) to fill in the obvious blanks while he goes on an unprompted rant about politically correct anti-intellectual left-wing academia smothering real scientific debates and covering up verifiable truths in order to brainwash students into buying cultural dogma.

Sure, he claims that he doesn't think black-white differences (such as IQ gaps and incarceration rates) are genetic. But he complains when people attempt to attribute them solely to behavioral and environmental factors, and he also claims that the alt-right came about as a result of highly intelligent individuals breaking free of politically-correct left-wing dogma and finding out about the racial differences in crime rates that the anti-intellectual leftists don't want anyone to know about. And although he's unwilling to say that some races are inferior for genetic reasons, he's certainly comfortable with the idea that some races are superior for genetic reasons - and he says that if that becomes widely accepted, then people might be more open to the suggestion that some races are inferior for genetic reasons.

As Kite said, he's a less outspoken Jordan Peterson. He lays out a racist premise, and implies that an academic leftist conspiracy is covering up the truth of that premise, then avoids outright stating the racist conclusion, and if anyone points it out or calls him on it then he accuses the left of trying to use political correctness to shut him down with hysterical accusations. He praises the alt-right (who love him and regularly cite his work) and claims that they're only reacting naturally to the left-wing conspiracy, then he claims he doesn't really agree with them on anything and that the left is dishonestly trying to link him to Nazis to make him look bad. And then he writes self-help books that put him in the role of the comforting father figure trying to convince people to stop hating themselves.

The fact that you don't have any factual objections but still dismiss him as an intellectual because of his (badly) perceived political leanings kinda proves his point doesn't it? You are right about saying it is wrong to think there are measurable genetic differences in intelligence between populations without solid evidence. He doesn't indicate that he does. He is right in that it is also wrong to do the opposite, at least as a scientist.

I liked Hans Rosling. I think I'm gonna read Pinker's books.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercrom posted:

The fact that you don't have any factual objections but still dismiss him as an intellectual because of his (badly) perceived political leanings kinda proves his point doesn't it? You are right about saying it is wrong to think there are measurable genetic differences in intelligence between populations without solid evidence. He doesn't indicate that he does. He is right in that it is also wrong to do the opposite, at least as a scientist.

I liked Hans Rosling. I think I'm gonna read Pinker's books.

if that's what you got from my post, you should probably go learn to read

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

if that's what you got from my post, you should probably go learn to read

you don't outright say it, no

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Pinker's research on decreasing violence and linking it to the rise of the rule of law and hierarchical states also has massive issues, because if I recall, though correct me if I am wrong, his statistics used exclude violence carried out by the state outside war, as these are "legal" and part of the "rule of law" and therefore different than revenge killings.

His examples of past violent societies are also all drawn from Europe, with exceptions from China, Japan and poorly understood by Pinker bits about the Aztecs. Also the usual appeal to Amazonian rates of violence as indicative of "lower' societies being more violent (Amazonia once had massive chiefdoms and likely laws and poo poo, but is essentially post-apocalyptic to a degree that no where else was after the Spanish/Portuguese). He makes a stupid jump to "Western" values of the individual and "rule of law" being the primary driver of decreasing violence, as well as capitalism which is just ridiculous.

No one serious in anthropology entertains his nonsense. It's worthless if you have even an undergraduate education in any of the five branches.

Edit: There are also gigantic methodological issues involved in finding rates of violent death archaeologically that I don't believe Pinker explores in "Better Angels" and he ignores complex, large-scale societies that don't fit his thesis (like the Hohokam of Southern Arizona).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
also, 95% of evopsych is horseshit in the first place

the field is overrun with cranks desperate to prove that their favorite cultural behaviors are :biotruths:

Pinker's just very aware of that perception and is very careful to avoid putting it into a soundbite that the media can take and run with

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plus, Pinker looks like a crank. I mean look at him.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Eh, he looks like an aging social sciences academic. I worked under tons of guys who looked like that and weren't idiots.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Plus, Pinker looks like a crank. I mean look at him.

i hate that we live in the timeline where doc brown works in scientific racism instead of time travel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KiteAuraan posted:

Eh, he looks like an aging social sciences academic. I worked under tons of guys who looked like that and weren't idiots.

social sciences should do more research into telling :thejoke:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i hate that we live in the timeline where doc brown works in scientific racism instead of time travel

this is what happens when we stop nuclear proliferation!!! where is an enterprising scientist supposed to come by plutonium nowadays?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If they remade Back to the Future then Doc Brown would just buy nuclear material from the North Koreans.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

juche saves the day

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If they remade Back to the Future then Doc Brown would just buy nuclear material from the North Koreans.

That would be pretty cool. Also he would go back to 1929 and short the market and turn the US in into Full communism now powered by worker Co-ops.

quote:

Although the Rockefeller family and other large families tried to demonstrate confidence in the market to the general population by purchasing large quantities of stock, nothing mattered.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Feb 17, 2018

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

All Harvard Professors are scum (see "The Bell Curve" and Rogoff/Reinhart).

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good lord this people suck

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/964946281079689217
https://twitter.com/jeffreygoldberg/status/964858012115578881

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
that Atlantic piece is such garbage, Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005