Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Another thing with Okami is that every character is based on an extremely loose interpretation of characters from Japanese Mythology, like Issun who in Japanese fables plays a Tom Thumb role, with a leaf as a shield and a pin for a sword. Susanno is a great swordsman who is also Amaterasu's Brother in the original stories and the God of Storm and Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Nioh if you let yourself run out of stamina and then take a hit your character will sit there panting for a second or two, during which enemies can hit you with brutal finishing moves. Kappas will run behind you and kancho you.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can see why people fell in love with the game, but I feel like if more people emphasized the lore and story that there was to unlock behind the unforgiving gameplay, way more people would've ended up into it. It wasn't till I watched a bunch of lore videos that I finally decided to come back and put in the effort to git gud

It's probably due to Dark Souls releasing during the period when developers were making AAA games as easy as possible. It's solidly challenging but I think it owes its weird rep as The Hardest of Hardgames to the environment it was released into.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

this owns incredibly hard (and is obviously canon)

little :darksouls: moments:

I've been learning the quirks of the lock-on system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NstgCN0SoM
:argh:

Too much paranoia can make you too jumpy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zohqPkV0g

feels good man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyiD62u-0t8
it's not cheap if it works

edit: I should note that outside of some gameplay videos and the lore stuff I'm going in blind, I don't know what the strats are for anything and relying on the soapstone messages and in-game text

Seems like you've got the game down pat already. You even learned exactly why no one ever locks on in Dark Souls (because Dark Souls' lock on is rubbish).

Personally, my favorite Taurus demon tactic was that one time he just jumped off the edge and I stood around confused getting shot by archers until I died because I didn't know where the boss went.

Somfin posted:

I picked up Okami and, uh, can I just put down "everything" as the little thing I like in this game? Everything apart from the kinda inconsistent double jump / autojump mechanic and that loving wooden tower thing in the first town? And Issun being a continuous horny jackass is kinda... well, it's a product of a time.

For little things in it that I do like, I am absolutely in love with the NPC animations. The squash-n-stretch head thing would definitely not work with modern graphics, but with the ultra-stylized ink wash thing they're doing it looks loving cute and it makes everything crazy charming. I was not expecting Okami, a game about a sun god trying to save a dying land, rendered in ink and old paper, to have so much physical comedy in it but it's occasionally really loving funny.
It's not just a thing of its time, it's an actual character trait! It'll never go away. It will crop up when you least expect it.

But yes, everything about Okami is amazing. Did you try picking up the dog in the first town? Because you can pick up that dog. You can steal dogs. You can also just run around barking at everyone forever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Dark Souls 3 I perfect-killed Vordt on my third attempt. I...is this what "git gud" feels like? I like it. :getin:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Okami manages to thread the needle of being a beautiful, fulfilling game that is absolutely dedicated to its premise, and is also totally in love with poop and pee.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Secret of Mana updated release: I forgot just how well the game spells out for you where to go next without being obnoxious. It’s also good at inserting sub goals and later goals. You’re told to go to the Underground Palace at Gaia’s Navel, you walk through a town where people are being controlled by an evil witch and you’re told to stay away from the ruins south of town. You get to the palace, find out the witch controls the enterance, go deal with her, and find two NPCs were sent to the ruins, and it just layers in like that.

A lot of other games would be "go to underground palace. Oh no, you can’t get in! Go fight this witch you’ve never heard of yet! Now clear the palace! Now go to these ruins you just found out about!"

I just appreciate the fact you not only know your next step, but have clues about the next several in sequence.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

My favourite little thing in Okami is finding some of the characters little secrets hidden in their houses, like Susano ( he has a little shrine for Kushi :3:)and Issun (behind his proper illustration studies is a big collection of of pervy drawings).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

It's probably due to Dark Souls releasing during the period when developers were making AAA games as easy as possible. It's solidly challenging but I think it owes its weird rep as The Hardest of Hardgames to the environment it was released into.
You know, I've been giving this some thought as I play through it for real for the first time, and I'm not sure. It's entirely possible that AAA devs were making games super easy, and that's been a criticism of them for a long time. But speaking only for myself, I think what I got stuck on was that the games I'd played up until that point had taught me that third-person adventures played a particular way--get in range, attack and do damage, and any button you hit will respond when you hit it. Kind of like an Ocarina of Time, or Dynasty Warriors, or Darksiders style. But DS isn't like that at all; an input commits you to an action and you have to wait for it to end before you do anything else, so timing and patience become paramount. The fair part is that this is true of the enemies as well.

It didn't click for me the first time because of how games had trained me leading up to it, but now I feel like I at least grok the basic concept.

Nuebot posted:

Seems like you've got the game down pat already. You even learned exactly why no one ever locks on in Dark Souls (because Dark Souls' lock on is rubbish).
Thanks! It really doesn't feel like I've got it down pat though, considering each new area takes me at least a couple deaths before I figure out what I'm supposed to do (and then another half-dozen deaths at least until I actually pull it off for the first time, only to die in the next area, rinse and repeat).

The real tragedy behind the lock-on fail is that I was trying to get back to the Undead Parish, where I had died to the big armored boar and left close to 8000 souls :smith:

Nuebot posted:

Personally, my favorite Taurus demon tactic was that one time he just jumped off the edge and I stood around confused getting shot by archers until I died because I didn't know where the boss went.
That would've confused the hell out of me too. Did he die or was his health bar still active?

The first time I tried the plunging attack strategy on the Taurus demon, I dilly-dallied on top of the tower for too long, thinking I was safe to take a few moments and visualize my next steps after I jumped. Then he leapt up, I yelled "OH gently caress" irl and scrambled to get away, and then he pasted me against the floor.
:darksouls:

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Feb 18, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The first time I tried the plunging attack strategy on the Taurus demon, I dilly-dallied on top of the tower for too long, thinking I was safe to take a few moments and visualize my next steps after I jumped. Then he leapt up, I yelled "OH gently caress" irl and scrambled to get away, and then he pasted me against the floor.

My favorite moment like this is in the Undead Asylum, actually. You get to the top of the ruins, to the downward stab tutorial, where the boss is waiting for you under you, to jump off and stab him in the head.

But not for too long.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HenryEx posted:

My favorite moment like this is in the Undead Asylum, actually. You get to the top of the ruins, to the downward stab tutorial, where the boss is waiting for you under you, to jump off and stab him in the head.

But not for too long.

And in both cases it's quietly foreshadowed that this could happen. They both start off their fights in the high ground; did you really think they couldn't get back up there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That would've confused the hell out of me too. Did he die or was his health bar still active?

He dies, but it takes a few seconds. Then you get his souls and the homeward bone. It's still very confusing if you've never seen it happen before. Taurus demon being able to jump is great. Once you figure out the ledge is there you tend to assume it's like the asylum demon and you're just supposed to smash him. But then he'll just smash you if you're not quick.

Thanks! It really doesn't feel like I've got it down pat though, considering each new area takes me at least a couple deaths before I figure out what I'm supposed to do (and then another half-dozen deaths at least until I actually pull it off for the first time, only to die in the next area, rinse and repeat).

The real tragedy behind the lock-on fail is that I was trying to get back to the Undead Parish, where I had died to the big armored boar and left close to 8000 souls :smith:
Dark Souls really is all about learning, I'd be hard pressed to believe many people who made it through an area their first time without dying at all. I'm sure some people have, but even if you're being slow and observant there are tricks and traps you don't always expect and enemies that can catch you off guard. There's stuff that helps make progression easier though, like the weapon upgrade system.

That boar sucks though. I -think- it's supposed to be an introduction to weapon types? Like most people would be using a sword but blunt weapons and magic damage do way more damage to it. But it it still has stupid amounts of HP and hits like a truck with tusks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I just stab it in the butt

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The boar is an introduction to casting away your pride and fisting an animal to death.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I have to keep thinking two or three steps ahead and it's really addictive, it's like real-time chess almost. Bad analogy but it's the best I can come up with right now

I think this is a pretty good analogy, actually. Dark Souls really clicked for me when I stopped thinking of each enemy encounter as a typical action/adventure fight and started thinking of them as puzzle battles. Everything from relative enemy threat levels to positioning to speed, stamina, and defense come into play. The only potential problem comes up with people who learn that they can safely block most attacks and end up turtling their way through the whole game. It works, but it's super boring. I'm glad that Bloodborne at least threw shields out the window and forced players to use a more dynamic strategy. It's just way more fun when your strategy asks "how can I wreck everyone's poo poo as quickly as possible before they gently caress me up?" rather than "how can I avoid risk completely?"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The boar is a stupid and badly designed roadblock. I just ignore it or murder it as cheaply as possible. It's jarring proof of how carefully these games are designed in that it's the exception and is... so bad

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nuebot posted:

That boar sucks though. I -think- it's supposed to be an introduction to weapon types? Like most people would be using a sword but blunt weapons and magic damage do way more damage to it. But it it still has stupid amounts of HP and hits like a truck with tusks.

The boar is a pretty good intro to finding creative approaches to combat. If you go around the boar and end up on the bridge above it, you find Alluring Skulls. You can use those to lure it into plunging attack range. You can do the classic video game approach of tricking it into charging into the big fire that's near it. You can fight it head on, and find out that its rear has no armor. Or, and this is a great tactic, you can just run right past it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The boar is a stupid and badly designed roadblock. I just ignore it or murder it as cheaply as possible.

Congrats, it taught you a valuable and important lesson about fighting mobs that give you trouble. That's good game design by any metric.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ariong posted:

Or, and this is a great tactic, you can just run right past it.

But it's alive and I'm the only thing allowed to be alive in Dark Souls!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It's not just a thing of its time, it's an actual character trait! It'll never go away. It will crop up when you least expect it.

But yes, everything about Okami is amazing. Did you try picking up the dog in the first town? Because you can pick up that dog. You can steal dogs. You can also just run around barking at everyone forever.

Amaterasu is really well-characterized as a deity that's unwaveringly good and pure but also kind of a petty screwball.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nuebot posted:

But it's alive and I'm the only thing allowed to be alive in Dark Souls!

I mean, technically

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My only issue with the boar is that, as goofy as this will sound, it's a little too unwieldy. There's a number of decent options for dealing with it, but enacting any of them (besides just ignoring it) is cumbersome for a new player. It's also placed in close proximity to the very tricky puzzle of the double archers and their undead buddies.

I think I tried to use the lures and backstab it, and then for no good reason I didn't get the sweet spot so instead my sword bounced off the armor and did 2 points of damage and then it turned around, bowled me over, and then thrashed its way into the fire and died. :confuoot:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What even is the strategy for the boars in the Archive? Their arses are covered up so the only options are to cherry-tap them to death or just run past them.

A minor thing I hope they change in the Remaster is that when you warp TO a bonfire, that bonfire becomes your checkpoint, so you don't die in Lost Izalith and wake up in Firelink. Also they could change the complete second-half of the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I should clarify that I don't think the boar is super successful at teaching stuff to the player, but I do get what they were going for.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A minor thing I hope they change in the Remaster is that when you warp TO a bonfire, that bonfire becomes your checkpoint, so you don't die in Lost Izalith and wake up in Firelink. Also they could change the complete second-half of the game.

That's the way it works in DS3, so I have to imagine they'll bring it to the remaster. That's a little thing I like.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought lightning bolts were good for dealing with the boars? I remember getting thru the halls to the archives without too mich trouble. i seem to remember farming the area to get the boars head helmet

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Blind Sally posted:

I thought lightning bolts were good for dealing with the boars? I remember getting thru the halls to the archives without too mich trouble. i seem to remember farming the area to get the boars head helmet

The boars don't respawn, but the last one always drops the helmet if you haven't gotten one before. Musta been a short farming session ;).

Fire works okay against them, and every build can pyromance. The enemies after are also resistant to physical and weak to fire, so maybe it's meant to teach you something. However, two-handing a big weapon also works well, so I keep learning the wrong lesson!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

What even is the strategy for the boars in the Archive? Their arses are covered up so the only options are to cherry-tap them to death or just run past them.

The remaster is being farmed out to a different company so any genuine upgrades to the game are off the table, sadly. We'll never know what an actially finished Izalith would look like.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acute Grill posted:

The remaster is being farmed out to a different company so any genuine upgrades to the game are off the table, sadly. We'll never know what an actially finished Izalith would look like.

A second Bed of Chaos. :v:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Come on down to Mattress Store of Chaos

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I didn't really have a strategy with the archive boars. I just hit them with whatever weapon I had and by that point my hits were strong enough that it didn't really matter much how armored it was. Then again I might have had a lightning weapon so who knows

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's the end of the game and you either have a sword big enough to kill them, magic or fire. Who needs strategy at that point?

Acute Grill posted:

Maybe we'll get a glitch that just removes izalith from the game.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Simply Simon posted:

The boars don't respawn, but the last one always drops the helmet if you haven't gotten one before. Musta been a short farming session ;).

Fire works okay against them, and every build can pyromance. The enemies after are also resistant to physical and weak to fire, so maybe it's meant to teach you something. However, two-handing a big weapon also works well, so I keep learning the wrong lesson!

The boat helmet is the most metal loving thing in a very metal game. Its stats are sub optimal but I will always wear it no matter what.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Acute Grill posted:

Come on down to Mattress Store of Chaos

Big Y'golonac's Bedframes of Disorder is having its fifth solid decade of "end of the world" sales and prices have gone completely entropic!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Novum posted:

The boat helmet is the most metal loving thing in a very metal game. Its stats are sub optimal but I will always wear it no matter what.

I wish there was a boat helmet.

In 2 there's a bell helmet. If someone shoots you in the head with an arrow it makes a bell sound.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nuebot posted:

I wish there was a boat helmet.

In 2 there's a bell helmet. If someone shoots you in the head with an arrow it makes a bell sound.

I want obscure webcomic character Boatface in Dark Souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They didn't change a thing about the completely unfinished co-op zones from the dark souls 2 DLCs for scholar, so I wouldn't expect a thing to change about Butt Lake except maybe more bloom to obscure the butts, prompting new 40-minute lore videos about how our understanding of butts changes when we can't clearly see them for what they truly are

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

My only issue with the boar is that, as goofy as this will sound, it's a little too unwieldy. There's a number of decent options for dealing with it, but enacting any of them (besides just ignoring it) is cumbersome for a new player. It's also placed in close proximity to the very tricky puzzle of the double archers and their undead buddies.

I think I tried to use the lures and backstab it, and then for no good reason I didn't get the sweet spot so instead my sword bounced off the armor and did 2 points of damage and then it turned around, bowled me over, and then thrashed its way into the fire and died. :confuoot:

Yeah, I think the issue with the boar is that it's surrounded by archers so it's a pain in the rear end to experiment with ways to beat it. If you took the underground route to get to it like I'm guessing most players do it's also a decently long run from a bonfire.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

This is my one of my favorite things about Dark Souls: Seeing new players get into the game. It's legit tied for my favorite video game ever and I've played it about a million times, so I get to relive playing it for the first time through other people.

I quoted this in particular because I thought "Only 8000?" and had to remind myself that is a big deal on your first time through when you don't know what's coming next.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Novum posted:

One of my favorite builds was a caveman; boar helm, smallest loincloth, biggest club, disembodied head instead of a shield. I used to hang out and help people get Kalameet's tail with that build, so much fun.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
My friend and I would have competitions to see who could lose more souls at one time. He lost the last time by only losing 32 million in like NG4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just started Watch Dogs 2 and I'm already having more fun than GTA5.
Maybe the game becomes lovely but there is so much characterization already that I'm impressed.
One of your friends is autistic and, so far, it's not played as a joke. He has the most raw talent of the group and is highly respected. They tease him a bit but then he will throw it back in a really dry way that takes you a second to get that he's joking.

The driving is just alright but everything else is pretty awesome.