Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Kai ri
To ma
U mika

Kei ichiro
Sa kuya
Tsu kasa

Heh. Wonder if the surnames have something hidden too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mimir posted:

It's definitely that but I think it's much more a "we're grappling with militarism as a culture but we can't have Kamen Riders invade Korea and China" situation.

This makes a bit more sense as I don't really see any kind of philosophy for each of the countries. Just exaggerated characteristics. Especially considering the situation in Hokuto is that of a famished country that still seems to have a large military.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The first 6 minutes of Lupin vs. Pat 02 made me feel exactly the same way I did as a kid when I had my action figures fight each other and it's honestly kind of beautiful.

I can't believe it looks like only one of them can have a Megazord at a time because mecha-on-mecha combat is the perfect way to spice up what is by far the most stale part of the franchise.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The first 6 minutes of Lupin vs. Pat 02 made me feel exactly the same way I did as a kid when I had my action figures fight each other and it's honestly kind of beautiful.

I can't believe it looks like only one of them can have a Megazord at a time because mecha-on-mecha combat is the perfect way to spice up what is by far the most stale part of the franchise.

Wait till they get the Lupin Collection thing that splits the megazord body (controlled by Japanese Guy Smiley?) into two. Or just a second one with a different gimmick.

Robots are gonna punch robots, friend. This is Japan.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

Wait till they get the Lupin Collection thing that splits the megazord body (controlled by Japanese Guy Smiley?) into two. Or just a second one with a different gimmick.

I haven't kept that close an eye on the toy catalogues so I have no idea if this will happen but your reasoning is sound.
Other note: so like, am I misunderstanding the Lupinranger's backstory, or are these three the only ones interested in vengeance after what looks to be a rather widespread ice monster attack? And could the mentor be any more obviously a traitor?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel I genuinely missed something by having no idea about Heisei Generations beyond what I could get online but it's probably nothing, some guy probably modified the Transteam Gun and made his own pseudo-Fullbottles and now that tech is being used by Seito or something, I guess!

I know pretty much nothing about Heisei Generations but that was pretty much my assumption was "Oh Seito/Stalk modified the Transteam gun and made it stronger" so I just accepted it the same as I accepted Rogue. I guess it's cool to know that I'll get some backstory on the FUNKY guys once it gets subbed.

Anyway I'm really enjoying Lupin Vs Pato and it's nice to see Lupin Red is a big dork who has a soft spot for Keiichiro.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Maybe it will merge the two zords together instead of split into two.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Based on the clips in the ep I assume FINAL has something about Katsuragi being involved with the bad guy of that at some point, so presumably that tech would just be floating around with Faust or Stalk.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I haven't kept that close an eye on the toy catalogues so I have no idea if this will happen but your reasoning is sound.
Other note: so like, am I misunderstanding the Lupinranger's backstory, or are these three the only ones interested in vengeance after what looks to be a rather widespread ice monster attack? And could the mentor be any more obviously a traitor?

I'm sure there were others concerned about it, but these three were specifically chosen to be Lupinranger by whatever hand is behind the butler.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Maybe it will merge the two zords together instead of split into two.

But then they won't be able to fight?????????

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure there were others concerned about it, but these three were specifically chosen to be Lupinranger by whatever hand is behind the butler.

"Butler, the Lupin Collection has been stolen! Recruit a team of young adults with attitude!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't understand how that makes any sense.

Rent-a-Bot posted:

"Butler, the Lupin Collection has been stolen! Recruit a team of young adults with attitude!"
I understand completely.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LuPat #2 may have the most individual mecha component combat since Go-Busters.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know how many times I've watched Keiichiro ramp his car off that highway now. A true supercop.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The coprangers literally destroy a highway to chase thiefranger.

This Sentai is woke.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Watching it with a friend and this is basically his first Sentai. He's watched a couple seasons of Rider and is used to the down-to-earth nature of that show. His memories of Power Rangers is like MMPR and the first half of Zeo.

So we had to have the talk on how any car-based zord is freakin' huge and takes up all the lanes and normal people's cars are all conveniently parked by the side of the road and there's absolutely no chaos, and yes this is weird but it's been this way since like six months after you stopped watching, man.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Now that I have a computer that won't crash when I play videos, I'm gonna watch Lupin vs Patranger as it comes out, after bowing out since midway through TQG. The OP is a banger and I love that it's a duet :allears:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got caught up on Build, and dang that's a good show. I've always been a fan of the more gothic early Heisei stuff like Kabuto or Kiva, so Build is 100% up my alley

I'm also super happy that I managed to avoid casting spoilers, because that was a trip. "Lol that dude looks like the guy from Kiva" -> "That dude looks exactly like the guy from Kiva" -> "Why hasn't he aged?!?!"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Solaris Knight posted:

Now that I have a computer that won't crash when I play videos, I'm gonna watch Lupin vs Patranger as it comes out, after bowing out since midway through TQG. The OP is a banger and I love that it's a duet :allears:

duet nothing it's the opening to two different shows at the same time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/966482448065298432

They gonna buy it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also that sounds like a euphemism

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

like everything else Trump, its pointless. Ex-Aid can defend itself.

Finally caught ep2 of LuPatRanger and those action sequences are just gorgeous. I'm a sucker for those 360 degree pan shots. The mecha stuff was pretty neat too because I wasn't expecting the CGI mixed in with the hardsuit. At first I was kinda bummed because I wanted to see the suit stomp around but it made much more sense for the mobility to use graphics.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

coconono posted:

Finally caught ep2 of LuPatRanger and those action sequences are just gorgeous. I'm a sucker for those 360 degree pan shots. The mecha stuff was pretty neat too because I wasn't expecting the CGI mixed in with the hardsuit. At first I was kinda bummed because I wanted to see the suit stomp around but it made much more sense for the mobility to use graphics.

I forgot to mention the 360 shots. Looks like Bandai got a drone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

my biggest problem with lupat is that i want both series to be seperate

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elfgames posted:

my biggest problem with lupat is that i want both series to be seperate

them fighting each other is fun but I hope doesn't become a reoccurring episode plot bit. I feel like it could get pretty contrived real quick. Maybe switch off episodes or something, who knows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So as I've been watching Sentai the past few seasons, something stuck in the back of my head for most of them. A lot of the mecha fights were just "Summon mecha, combine, use finisher, done." Like they don't even want to do the giant fights but "well we gotta sell the toys." And the whole time I watched them I went "Weren't the mecha fights in earlier seasons way more important and longer?" I thought maybe it was just me not remembering them as well so maybe they were the same, but since I was newer to toku I didn't realize how short they were.

Well, as I'm rewatching Go-Onger, it turns out...I was right. The mecha fights in Go-Onger actually have quite a bit of action and none of them have been "Summon and use finisher." Maybe this is due to the fact that the Engines are actually characters in their own right, and since they don't get to do a lot in the normal battles, they decided the mecha fights were their time to do cool things as characters and actually have fight scenes. It probably doesn't hurt that Engine-Oh looks like a pretty easy suit to move around in. And to be fair, I'm only on episode 8 and there's plenty of time for the fights to turn into the short barely there scenes that they are in later seasons. I'm pretty sure that happens when G-12 gets introduced at least since that suit looks like it's impossible to do anything in, so there isn't much else they can do.

And to tie it in to the current series, I was surprised at how little actual suit footage there was in the last episode of LvP. There was what, a second and a half of it? When they first form LupinKaiser and it poses, and about half a second of a face shot during the running around. The rest was all CG. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, and it didn't bother me, but it was something that stood out to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a reoccurring thing across Sentai history.

I think Bioman is the first Sentai to REALLY use the Mecha in a big way, since all of the MOTW are giant enemies, and from there it mostly petered back down to blase uses until Liveman which is just the WORST mecha stuff in Sentai history

And then you have the shining beacon of ZyuRanger, which unarguably has some of the best and most involved giant robot action in the entire franchise

Followed immediately by DaiRanger that

Did not

Have that.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Build has had a hell of a lot of plot happen for a toku only about halfway through its run. I have no idea where they're going to end up.

Also, any bets on how long Akaba has until his own "passing of the color-coded dog tag" scene? I'll say four eps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing that has impressed me about Rider is that there's so little filler episodes. Every episode seems to have at least a small contribution to the ongoing story arc, with usually only crossover movies feeling unnecessary. I've watched Ex-Aid, Build up to this point, and am going to finish Gaim tomorrow and it's been a blast. Will be going to Blade next, and I've heard that though the story is of a lower quality it similarly makes good use of it's episodes.

Sentai seems to have quite a bit of filler in comparison, I'm hoping LuPat keeps it low given that it's segregating it's characters and should have plenty of time to focus on each group. It's not a modern thing either, because what I've seen of showa-era Sentai is the same way. 35 episodes of blowing up the monster and going back to square one, five episodes of character development, and ten episodes of "gotta wrap this show up and finish everything before we run out of time".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Showa Era Sentai basically has no real continuity between episodes.

More of an emphasis is put on individual, often monster based, plots that get solved in a single episode.

Some times two parters, though those could be rare.

Kamen Rider was mostly the same way with the notable exception of Stronger and half of Black.

Seriously if you want to shotgun Kamen Rider Black, I have a whole list written up of the Non Filler Episodes VS the Filler Episodes. I think I wrote a similar thing for RX, as best as one can for RX, but the show isn't as story driven as Black could be.

Ultraman Max is the ABSOLUTE WORST though

It's basically got negative continuity, negative characters- just a collection of archetypes that get shoved into a new Ultraman shaped plotline week to week

This isn't really a BAD thing, but it makes trying to marathon watch Max a chore unlike any other (besides Gavan, which is just a whole thing)

The main issue you'll run into with early Heisei Rider is a lot of spinning of the wheels. Blade I don't think does that but the Inoue shows absolutely do.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, Blade is going to be my last Rider show for a bit. I need to watch Sentai shows people like that I missed after that.

My current plan, current stuff excluded, is:
Gaim (Nearly complete) -> Blade -> Gokaiger -> Go-Busters -> Something weird (maybe ToQger, maybe Kabuto dub) -> Double -> OOOs -> Fourze -> Feel content not watching this stuff again for some years, or until I decide that I should really watch at least one Ultraman.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade is pretty good. I'm watching it now thanks to Excite's new translations and it's definitely faster paced than I remembered, plus the characterization is pretty good.

That said some of the fighting choreography is laughably bad and I can easily see why this series is a meme in Japan, the actors ham the hell out of every scene, Tachibana's especially. Not a bad thing for me though, some cheesiness is good for this kind of show.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/asunar5zng/status/966608212299415552

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Burkion posted:

Showa Era Sentai basically has no real continuity between episodes.

More of an emphasis is put on individual, often monster based, plots that get solved in a single episode.

Some times two parters, though those could be rare.

Kamen Rider was mostly the same way with the notable exception of Stronger and half of Black.

Seriously if you want to shotgun Kamen Rider Black, I have a whole list written up of the Non Filler Episodes VS the Filler Episodes. I think I wrote a similar thing for RX, as best as one can for RX, but the show isn't as story driven as Black could be.

Ultraman Max is the ABSOLUTE WORST though

It's basically got negative continuity, negative characters- just a collection of archetypes that get shoved into a new Ultraman shaped plotline week to week

This isn't really a BAD thing, but it makes trying to marathon watch Max a chore unlike any other (besides Gavan, which is just a whole thing)

The main issue you'll run into with early Heisei Rider is a lot of spinning of the wheels. Blade I don't think does that but the Inoue shows absolutely do.

I liked Max but you could have jumbled up most of the episodes and got the same series. The hind end of the show was just batshit weirdness, some serious episodes and then "cya we're going to space!"

And I refuse to believe that Gavan wasn't written produced and shot without bales of marijuana being consumed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

I liked Max but you could have jumbled up most of the episodes and got the same series. The hind end of the show was just batshit weirdness, some serious episodes and then "cya we're going to space!"

And I refuse to believe that Gavan wasn't written produced and shot without bales of marijuana being consumed.

Make no mistake, Max is a great show

Just yeah, it's pretty much The Simpsons of Toku. With the one exception of Max getting a different finisher that he some times uses later on, it's basically a madlibs show.

Also Gavan was absolutely made on some kind of drugs. The actor who played Gavan would talk about how, during his days as a Sentai stuntman not too much earlier, he and the rest of the stunt team would get pretty goddamn drunk before filming and barely remember anything that happened

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As I understand it, Ultraman Max was intentionally made as an anthology show, with different writers getting a go on it. It's not supposed to be coherent at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, Ultraman Max was intentionally made as an anthology show, with different writers getting a go on it. It's not supposed to be coherent at all.

Oh absolutely. Different writers, directors, whoever wanted to take a shot.

That's why Miike directed two episodes, beyond him being a fan of the franchise because Ultraman is iconic over in Japan to a degree that you just do not understand if you aren't there.

It doesn't make the Ultraman franchise better, but it does give it a lot more weight than Kamen Rider is afforded.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Make no mistake, Max is a great show

Just yeah, it's pretty much The Simpsons of Toku. With the one exception of Max getting a different finisher that he some times uses later on, it's basically a madlibs show.

Also Gavan was absolutely made on some kind of drugs. The actor who played Gavan would talk about how, during his days as a Sentai stuntman not too much earlier, he and the rest of the stunt team would get pretty goddamn drunk before filming and barely remember anything that happened

Yeah, if you just watched all the plot relevant stuff from Max wouldn't the show be about 5 episodes long at most (though to be fair you could probably say the same about some of the Showa Ultras)? I still liked it well enough, it had a good cast and there was an episode that was basically one big homage to the original Ultra Q series, complete with some of the cast members returning.

Honestly there were only a handful of Ultra shows I didn't care that much for: Taro (I liked how they ended it though), Cosmos (though some of the cast was decent), and Ginga (Ginga S is a little better but not by much).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, if you just watched all the plot relevant stuff from Max wouldn't the show be about 5 episodes long at most (though to be fair you could probably say the same about some of the Showa Ultras)? I still liked it well enough, it had a good cast and there was an episode that was basically one big homage to the original Ultra Q series, complete with some of the cast members returning.

Yep. Ultra Seven is essentially Twilight Zone crossed with Star Trek and kaiju fights. It's got, like, two plot relevant eps. Which is fine!