Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

No, he isn't right. The default assumption should be that difference in behavior are due to environmental causes, absent any evidence that they can be attributed to genetics/biology. This is because genetic differences between populations are far too minor to have any sort of noticeable effect on phenotypes as ridiculously complex as intelligence or behavior (barring "catastrophic" things like having some sort of genetic disorder or something, but that wouldn't be relevant to discussing entire ethnic groups). On the other hand, we do know that environment has a huge impact on behavior and intelligence. So basically you have a situation where you have two possible causes; one that has been shown time and time again to have a huge impact on behavior/intelligence, and the other where there's no clear evidence that the set of traits that differ between populations impacts them. It makes sense to assume the former is the case unless you can specifically point to a consistent genetic difference between ethnic groups and show a causal relationship between it and some behavioral trait.

Basically, the idea of intelligence/behavior differing between ethnic groups is the sort of thing that seems to make sense if you're a layperson who is ignorant about genetics. But if you understand anything about the topic, you quickly realize the absurdity of complex traits influenced by countless genes (+ environmental factors and gene/environment interaction) varying to any measurable degree due to the extremely minor genetic differences between ethnic groups. It isn't accurate to compare stuff like intelligence/behavior with something like disease susceptibility (which is a common comparison people making this argument use), because the latter is often determined by just a single gene (or a small number).

Yeah I don't think lay people should try to question the findings of scientists. That's what peer review is for. What you are describing is mostly a mathematical problem and is something that should be able to be put into a hypothesis, tested and peer reviewed. If that's been done, he is indeed wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

In a session Lawson attended, a Trump supporter acknowledged that the GOP has had a spotty record on racial matters, but it's important to him that Blues know that's not why he holds his opinions.

Doherty says that the Reds feel shamed by the Blues to a much greater degree than the Blues realize. Reds are very reluctant to enter into a conversation with Blues for fear of further shaming, but they often come to the table when they are told that this will be a chance to "de-monsterize" themselves.

this might have been true before trump made it so all their terrible opinions they felt shamed out of voicing were perfectly acceptable

also in an extra level of funny for trump himself the only thing he wants is approval of fancy new york elites

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

this might have been true before trump made it so all their terrible opinions they felt shamed out of voicing were perfectly acceptable

also in an extra level of funny for trump himself the only thing he wants is approval of fancy new york elites

actually, I posted that because it boils down to "sure, I voted for racists, but I think it's important that you realize that I didn't vote for them because they were racist, and it's terrible of you to shame me for voting for racists"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol david brooks basically plagiarizing the big lebowski

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/966015273001213953

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

actually, I posted that because it boils down to "sure, I voted for racists, but I think it's important that you realize that I didn't vote for them because they were racist, and it's terrible of you to shame me for voting for racists"

its still true that pre-escalator, fringe ideas like limiting legal migration and building the wall werent ok to say in polite conversation and now they are

the normalization of those things is also why people are now claiming that they support them but not for any racist reasons

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

its still true that pre-escalator, fringe ideas like limiting legal migration and building the wall werent ok to say in polite conversation and now they are

the normalization of those things is also why people are now claiming that they support them but not for any racist reasons

Enforcing/dictating limits on immigration is one of the fundamental things a nation is supposed to do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Enforcing/dictating limits on immigration is one of the fundamental things a nation is supposed to do.

Woooooooooooooooooosh

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Woooooooooooooooooosh

Sorry I'm too many levels of irony deep.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sorry I'm too many levels of irony deep.

Shear Modulus is saying that pre-escalator, immigration policy people never ever talked about "build a giant fuckoff wall" as a possible solution. Now they do.

Don't counter that by going "but but but a country can't just let unlimited people in!"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's worse? The New York Times or The Economist?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol david brooks basically plagiarizing the big lebowski

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/966015273001213953

lmao david brooks really leaning into bein a piece of poo poo

just rolling around in it

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's worse? The New York Times or The Economist?

has the economist tried to hire actual nazis?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

GoluboiOgon posted:

has the economist tried to hire actual nazis?

they did give mcardle her first job writing for a publication iirc, if you don’t count her work with the kochs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Shear Modulus is saying that pre-escalator, immigration policy people never ever talked about "build a giant fuckoff wall" as a possible solution. Now they do.

Don't counter that by going "but but but a country can't just let unlimited people in!"

He said both walls and limiting immigration. So I'm saying people have been talking about limiting immigration in private AND public for a long time, well before Trump invented it out of thin-air. Even The Wall was talked about (and implemented) in border states long before trump.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
conservatives used to have the fig leaf of "only wanting to prevent illegal immigration"

that's dropped off entirely because of course it has

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He said both walls and limiting immigration.

Limiting LEGAL migration, which was never a major point of contention before.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

conservatives used to have the fig leaf of "only wanting to prevent illegal immigration"

that's dropped off entirely because of course it has

WampaLord posted:

Limiting LEGAL migration, which was never a major point of contention before.

yeah this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao david brooks really leaning into bein a piece of poo poo

just rolling around in it

Wait till you see what he said about the Iraq War.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Yeah I don't think lay people should try to question the findings of scientists. That's what peer review is for. What you are describing is mostly a mathematical problem and is something that should be able to be put into a hypothesis, tested and peer reviewed. If that's been done, he is indeed wrong.

lmao "I'm just a simple poster but I trust steven Pinker and I think he is right, there's a great burden of proof in science and since you're a layman, well I'm just gonna go on and keep trusting pinker until some science types do their science and disprove him

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lmao "I'm just a simple poster but I trust steven Pinker and I think he is right, there's a great burden of proof in science and since you're a layman, well I'm just gonna go on and keep trusting pinker until some science types do their science and disprove him

disprove what

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mercrom posted:

disprove what

that's what I'm saying, you're calling for peer review as if loose opinions or really, differing schools of thought are resolved like that. or as if peer review would exclude studies which contradict previous ones. it's nonsensical, and its double nonsensical for a layman to avoid responding to another layman while falsely appealing to scientific authority. just post bitch

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
are you sure you are following the conversation. i was defending what Pinker had said according to Main Paineframe regarding scepticism on the issue. Ytlaya suggested the matter is settled and i asked for evidence

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercrom posted:

are you sure you are following the conversation. i was defending what Pinker had said according to Main Paineframe regarding scepticism on the issue. Ytlaya suggested the matter is settled and i asked for evidence

pinker is a shithead who tries to avoid being called a racist while quietly reinventing race science

you're an idiot who came into C-SPAM for the sole purpose of defending racist pop scientists

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mercrom posted:

you were doing it like a moron and I called you a moron for it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

pinker is a shithead who tries to avoid being called a racist while quietly reinventing race science

you're an idiot who came into C-SPAM for the sole purpose of defending racist pop scientists
your post was bad and nothing in it actually indicated he was a racist pop scientist which is why i defended him. i actually know nothing about Pinker as a psychologist

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

you were doing it like a moron and I called you a moron for it.
thats fair. its also my preferred style of posting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

lol 700 miles of fence passed the senate with a ridic majority in 06

a wall is a difference of degree not kind

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tunicate posted:

lol 700 miles of fence passed the senate with a ridic majority in 06

a wall is a difference of degree not kind

As an aside:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00262

quote:

Biden (D-DE), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll446.xml

quote:

NOES

Sanders

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/966179145070841856

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nytmedia/status/966179438433132544

what the gently caress is wrong with the NYT

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
When you let algorithms do the programming

https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes/status/966335459789066240

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

the FAILING new york times

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LOL
in a couple of months they'll be welcoming alex jones to their op-ed page

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
alex jones would never stoop to being employed by nyc elites

he's clearly a shoo in for wapo's opinion page alongside mcmegan

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Open your eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1oyK5lvqQ&t=301s

you cant tell me this video doesnt have 'actors' mugging for the camera as they drive by ( at 5:01 if the link doesntw ork)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

that particular columnist has already written two "Fox News Said A Thing" articles in 2018, and a couple more commenting on right-wing media in general. seems to be his go-to for material

also, they're feeling their usual compulsion for both sides-ism, since they're driving the story so hard in the first place. i'm already sick of seeing "gee, why why is the school shooting story still getting headlines" stories from the same loving people who write the headlines

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

This seems to have been deleted, what was it?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Misogynice Job! posted:

This seems to have been deleted, what was it?

NYT posted:

"The conspiracy theories about the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School seem far-fetched. But they are finding a broad and prominent audience online. http://nyti.ms/2okgCEU"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the NYT wrote a piece about the right calling the kids crisis actors and how its gaining traction

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Seem? SEEM??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Was the nyt always this bad? Like they've been around forever, were there op eds in the 40s about how actually maybe the Jews deserved it?