Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Today I learned Adrian Barba, the guy who did a couple of Dragon Ball openings on the Mexican dub and also a shitload of other animes, did his own covers of the newer dragon ball songs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClg3m4du98ZfbyDanpV0cYg
And they are loving fantastic

This dude’s version of the Dragonball OP is loving phenomenal, Latin America was lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Bardock is somehow even dumber than Broly. Nobody ever gives a poo poo about Jor-el or Pa Kent, and nobody should ever give a poo poo about Bardock.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though even HXH falls into the pitfalls of power levels deciding fights like in the Chimera ant arc.

Even if power levels weren’t the end all of that arc.

not true. mereum only won against netero because he had a really good brain, by the end of the fight he was starting to get injured just from being hit so many times over and over.If he hadn't figured out neteros way of thinking there was a very real chance he would have actually gotten to the point where hand zero actually mortally wounded him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why'd they give Krillin a new mega-powerful solar flare before the tournament and then not have him use it during the tournament?

Come to think of it, why didn't they give it to Tien and have him use it on the sniper?

A move is only effective if it is revealed during the tournament, not before. Showing off your move in a sparring match and saying it's so much stronger than your other moves is basically just telegraphing that it will be useless garbage.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Does anime have some weird concept of a reverse Chekov's Gun or something?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kild posted:

That's why HXH is so sick when the mentor character explains that a guy labeled say "50" could beat a guy labelled "75" or "90" because he had an excellent day or they had an off day or a variety of factors; you're not always at your peak and neither is your opponent.

e:

Ultra-quantifying shonen battles into literal graphs and bar charts seems incredibly lame and the end point of that particularly pedantic power level fan mindset. Does the show do anything to subvert this premise or is it genuinely how fight scenes play out in HxH?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

It's not just anime, it's everywhere. It's like when Fred lays out how the trap works. Of COURSE Shaggy and Scooby are gonna gently caress it up: otherwise Fred just spoiled the ending of the episode.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Slightly Absurd posted:

You've described a red herring

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a cartoon duck posted:

A move is only effective if it is revealed during the tournament, not before. Showing off your move in a sparring match and saying it's so much stronger than your other moves is basically just telegraphing that it will be useless garbage.

ui goku will steal it and use vs jiren

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

Ultra-quantifying shonen battles into literal graphs and bar charts seems incredibly lame and the end point of that particularly pedantic power level fan mindset. Does the show do anything to subvert this premise or is it genuinely how fight scenes play out in HxH?

Yes. HxH is basically all about subverting it. You should watch it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. HxH is basically all about subverting it. You should watch it.

Oh, okay then. Guess I have something to watch during the hiatus then.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stairmaster posted:

not true. mereum only won against netero because he had a really good brain, by the end of the fight he was starting to get injured just from being hit so many times over and over.If he hadn't figured out neteros way of thinking there was a very real chance he would have actually gotten to the point where hand zero actually mortally wounded him.

maybe if netero wailed on meruem for a whole day or so, but by the end of the fight he was barely scratched. Netero never stood a chance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Last Celebration posted:

This dude’s version of the Dragonball OP is loving phenomenal, Latin America was lucky.

He didn't do the original Dragonball opening, but it was still really good
Dude did the second dbz opening and ending which were top notch and if they continue dubbing dbs I hope they use him again

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Dude did the second dbz opening and ending which were top notch and if they continue dubbing dbs I hope they use him again

Even if they don't, he'll keep dubbing songs on his own and they'll keep being better than the official dubs.

His versions of the Super endings are so good, much better than the officials.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestonJew posted:

maybe if netero wailed on meruem for a whole day or so, but by the end of the fight he was barely scratched. Netero never stood a chance.

I have always thought that fight was kind of lame because of that, much like Meurem was a lame antagonist. Then they go on to say he was just a B class threat, making the exact same mistake they did in Yu Yu Hakusho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Momomo posted:

I have always thought that fight was kind of lame because of that, much like Meurem was a lame antagonist. Then they go on to say he was just a B class threat, making the exact same mistake they did in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Meurem was great antagonist, he had an arc and was sympathetic even if you still wanted him to fail. Even if he was the most DBZ villian in HXH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

That's the point of the entire arc though. Meurem was insanely powerful but they have nuclear weapons and can just kill him. He's a threat because it takes a big weapon to take him out but he can be taken out by mass production weapons.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I do enjoy the idea of a shounen world that doesn't entirely, 100% revolve around fistfights. They can establish a villain and be like "Oh he's so good at punching" and the answer is "did you consider dropping a bomb on him? Watch him punch that."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

multijoe posted:

Oh, okay then. Guess I have something to watch during the hiatus then.

The current arc right now is loving tense
The 'fights' if you can even call them that last for like 5-6 pages and end just as abruptly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Glagha posted:

I do enjoy the idea of a shounen world that doesn't entirely, 100% revolve around fistfights. They can establish a villain and be like "Oh he's so good at punching" and the answer is "did you consider dropping a bomb on him? Watch him punch that."

Tbf,

The blast doesn’t even kill him and he only goes down from the radiation poisoning, Meruem was a tank.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Flytrap posted:

It's not just anime, it's everywhere. It's like when Fred lays out how the trap works. Of COURSE Shaggy and Scooby are gonna gently caress it up: otherwise Fred just spoiled the ending of the episode.

I like the ones where the trap works and Fred gets very confused because that's not how that's supposed to work.

Like the one episode in the new series where the monster never chased Shaggy and everyone was completely flabbergasted

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Typically the rule is that if the audience knows about a plan in advance it'll fail. And vice versa.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tbf,

The blast doesn’t even kill him and he only goes down from the radiation poisoning, Meruem was a tank.

[spoiler] He was dying when his bodyguards found him. The only reason he lived for so long is because they gave him their bodies to feed on.[/s]

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slightly Absurd posted:

Bardock is somehow even dumber than Broly. Nobody ever gives a poo poo about Jor-el or Pa Kent, and nobody should ever give a poo poo about Bardock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yii1u2Lz-II

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Pa Kent never went down trying to kill Braniac or Doomsday.

And if he had, I'd probably care more about him too.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm ashamed to admit as much as I love HunterXHunter the fights confuse the poo poo out of me. I've never gotten a good handle on how Nen works. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention when it was first introduced and I'm like the kid in algebra class that falls behind and is hopelessly lost the rest of the time. I just watch a lion guy use his iphone to summon a tidal wave and think it's cool and don't think much beyond that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flubby posted:

I'm ashamed to admit as much as I love HunterXHunter the fights confuse the poo poo out of me. I've never gotten a good handle on how Nen works. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention when it was first introduced and I'm like the kid in algebra class that falls behind and is hopelessly lost the rest of the time. I just watch a lion guy use his iphone to summon a tidal wave and think it's cool and don't think much beyond that.

It’s magic.

That’s it, nen is just magic, not complicated.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Pa Kent never went down trying to kill Braniac or Doomsday.

And if he had, I'd probably care more about him too.

Pa Kent never went down fighting Doomsday because he kicked Doomsday's rear end.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Pa Kent never went down fighting Doomsday because he kicked Doomsday's rear end.

I love it when this kind of poo poo happens. Reminds me of when Alfred beat the poo poo out of Superman.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

TrilliontonNixon posted:

So Pa Kent doesn't die/get sent to the past and become the Legendary Superman of ancient myth by picking a fight with one of Doomsday's ancestors?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nen is a system that pretended to be really intricate and numbers based early on, but by Chimera Ant it's clearly just powers that say "this character feels very strongly about x" which is much better from a story telling perspective.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only show that should be watched after super goes on hiatus is vento aureo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

STONE COLD 64 posted:

season 3 of my hero academia, dude

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
GeGeGe Kitaro looks pretty fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gintama

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's established later in Hunter the A Class threats are stuff that like Diseases and strange dangerous beings that just can't be killed. (Plus Chimera Ants in general are considered a B ranked threat. Not Meruem)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Calaveron posted:

If I had to pick my top 5 Dragon Ball Latin Dub OP/Ending it would be:

5- El Poder Nuestro Es (Adrian Barba)
4- Fantastica Aventura (Luis de Lille)
3- Limit Break x Survivor (Adrian Barba)
2- Angeles Fuimos (Adrian Barba)
1- Mi Corazon Encantado (Aaron Montalvo) <- This one in particular to the point I think it's even better than the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJr8am6pZco

poo poo this video reminded me that Chi Chi used to have a personality a lifetime ago

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 22, 2018

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

STONE COLD 64 posted:

How dare you get my hopes up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just watch dragon ball super again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lezard_valeth posted:

poo poo this video reminded me that Chi Chi used to have a personality a lifetime ago

Independent from the series' issues regarding Milk's character, I hated the way Super turned Goku into someone that barely understands the concept of marriage and romance just to make some gags.