Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
For the Brute lvl 1 ability "Eye for an Eye" there is Heal 2, Range 1. Can that be used on self or does that have to be on the enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Mordiceius posted:

For the Brute lvl 1 ability "Eye for an Eye" there is Heal 2, Range 1. Can that be used on self or does that have to be on the enemy?

Self or adjacent ally.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

El_Molestadore posted:

Self or adjacent ally.

Okay good. I had been using it on myself and then started to worry that it was for others only.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Okay good. I had been using it on myself and then started to worry that it was for others only.

Yeah, others only will say "all allies" as a specifier.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Welp, as a brute/spellweaver, we got wrecked in scenario 2.

I just did that same scenario last week with the same team + mindthief.I got really lucky with some nulls on the enemy attacks which allowed us to unload all our attacks (with some better attack modifiers) on the boss and take him down just after he only opened 1 door! And I also realised that the living corpses look scary but are dumber than you think, in terms of their actions.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Big McHuge posted:

I loved that scenario.

I kept telling my GF that even though it wasn't explicitly stated, that this was a moral choice and she finally relented and sacrificed one of the items.

I threw the items in the volcano because they both loving sucked, even though i'm playing a party of massive baddies

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Brute retired and now I'm wondering whether to switch to the Tinkerer or the Cthulhu. Choice is hard (someone else has plans to Spellweaver so I don't want to steal it from under them). Also we're one prosperity off 3. Boooo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh definitely take new unlocks unless it looks really really not your thing. I did that once, because the thing I unlocked was much more suited to my wife, so I grabbed a starter to quickly retire, but other than that, we've always done new ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeCrotch posted:

I threw the items in the volcano because they both loving sucked, even though i'm playing a party of massive baddies

We found the weapon has been pretty good because we're still early on in the campaign and have got much better.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Oh definitely take new unlocks unless it looks really really not your thing. I did that once, because the thing I unlocked was much more suited to my wife, so I grabbed a starter to quickly retire, but other than that, we've always done new ones.

The only thing is that (Cthulhu) we've got a Ranged Cragheart and a Scoundrel - a frontliner would be nice.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Stelas posted:

The only thing is that (Cthulhu) we've got a Ranged Cragheart and a Scoundrel - a frontliner would be nice.

Tinkerer isn't a frontliner though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

My main thought was 'without a frontliner, maybe we're gonna need those heals'.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stelas posted:

My main thought was 'without a frontliner, maybe we're gonna need those heals'.

Pssh, who needs frontliners, just dodge/stun/stay at range.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

KPC_Mammon posted:

She was in our last game!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Pssh, who needs frontliners, just dodge/stun/stay at range.

Or heavily curse!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I play scoundrel, and kept the hammer. I also have the ring of skulls, so I'm a necromancer scoundrel haha. makes getting my damage bonuses a lot easier.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm getting more and more into my brute as I level and gear him up. Currently only level 3, but through a combination of perks and a sweet treasure find in scenario 6 - the Second Skin chest piece which adds two +1 modifiers to your deck I've now removed three -1 modifier cards and added five +1 modifiers to my deck. He's shaping up to be pretty good at dealing decent damage in aoe with burst single target damage when I need it. :feelsgood: The rest of the party is currently a mindthief, tinkerer and scoundrel, so a beefy guy who can aoe while the mindthief and scoundrel pick off single targets and the tinkerer heals and crowd controls works pretty well.

As far as perks go for the brute - what do you guys prioritize after removing negative modifiers? I was considering ignore negative item effects, but there's nothing I want in the shop right now that comes with a negative effect. Thinking I might go with some pierce rolling modifiers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The perks for the Saw are pretty cool: I've currently got both of the *remove two -1s*, both of the *replace a 0 with a +2* and one of the *add a +2 and draw another card*. So currently my deck has a single -1, 3 +2s (and the +2 with extra card draw) and I'm currently planning to get the *remove four 0s* perk when I level up, which will mean my only negative cards will be a -2, a -1 and the miss card.

In terms of strategy, you can really gear the sawbones up to be a really good brawler and he's actually much better once he's stuck in rather than on the periphery: I like combat medic archetypes rather than "heal from afar" healers. His bottom 1 damage + stun + poison paired with a 4 attack + condition card means he can do really nice spike damage while shutting down one particular opponent. His bottom card that allows him to AoE any card is extremely nice as well, and he's a monster against high shield/low HP monsters due to easy access to wound. You can also make him get in rather easily, since you can do the AoE non-loss disarm, which is an amazing card. Finally, the medpacks are okay for healing, but are incredible in that they can potentially give low-hand size characters a couple more turns. I was really hesitant that I would like the sawbones when I first saw his kit but after a couple of level he just becomes a combat beast if you play him right.

tl;dr if you have a chance to unlock saw, go for it, he's a lot of fun and there's loads of ways to build him.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Mikey Purp posted:

As far as perks go for the brute - what do you guys prioritize after removing negative modifiers? I was considering ignore negative item effects, but there's nothing I want in the shop right now that comes with a negative effect. Thinking I might go with some pierce rolling modifiers.

I personally would advice against getting the pierce rolling modifiers. Unless you're playing a scenario which only has monsters with shields, there's a big chance you never draw the modifier when you need it.
Can't go wrong with the ignore item effect one, since it gives you a +1 card as well. Especially as more gear options open up later on.
I'd suggest getting the two status effect rolling modifiers and then the +3 or extra +1 perks. More consistent damage is always good!

Tekopo posted:

Saw business

The scoundrel player in my party recently unlocked the saw but isn't sure if he wants to play the class yet. I'll be sure to pass along these tips as he isn't too hot on the idea of playing a support class.

Perkwise I had a lot of fun with lightning bolt.
Nothing funner than drawing a rolling 2, two rolling 1's followed by a crit card and almost one-shotting a boss with Glass Hammer. :black101:
I'm probably gonna play lightning bolt again after finishing the quest on my three arrows. Throwing axes everywhere and hitting things REALLY HARD is just loads of fun!

Autodrop Monteur fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 23, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MG42 posted:

The scoundrel player in my party recently unlocked the saw but isn't sure if he wants to play the class yet. I'll be sure to pass along these tips as he isn't too hot on the idea of playing a support class.
My first character was the Brute and it was a definite change in pace, but you can really build saw as a character that can take on really tough enemies, thanks to stun/poison/wound/immobilise on his cards, along with a kill elite/normal card at level 4. He can still heal with him if you play him combat-oriented, but you can build him to just shut-down elites/big monsters if you want as well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah, might unlock Cthulhu symbol tomorrow as our first retirement/unlock. I'd be retiring my Brute, but hes had a good run at level 6.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heck yeah, might unlock Cthulhu symbol tomorrow as our first retirement/unlock. I'd be retiring my Brute, but hes had a good run at level 6.
The Brute got much more interesting once he had a couple of level-ups, I feel. His starting kit is kind of limited but once you get a few options, he has a lot of scope for different builds/strategies. It's true for all characters but I feel that some of the other ones have more scope at lower levels when compared to the Brute.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tekopo posted:

The Brute got much more interesting once he had a couple of level-ups, I feel. His starting kit is kind of limited but once you get a few options, he has a lot of scope for different builds/strategies. It's true for all characters but I feel that some of the other ones have more scope at lower levels when compared to the Brute.

I definitely had a similar experience. I slanted towards a tank role because I play in a group of 4 with 3 other squishy characters (scoundrel, mindthief, tinkerer) but honestly now I am a pretty fun jack of all trades who also can tank the most in the group.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

I definitely had a similar experience. I slanted towards a tank role because I play in a group of 4 with 3 other squishy characters (scoundrel, mindthief, tinkerer) but honestly now I am a pretty fun jack of all trades who also can tank the most in the group.

Yep, it's a credit to the game that I play in the same party make-up as you, but have veered totally away from tanking and we are still succeeding. It's a really clever design that allows players so many different play styles from a relatively small pool of cards.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'm under the impression that items have a lot to do with that as well. We're not even Prosperity 2 yet, and there's already enough items (not necessarily good ones, mind you) to differentiate play styles drastically. And there are over 100 different items. This game has so much stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My campaign seems to be progressing radically differently from normal; we hit Prosperity 3 right before our first retirement and my compatriots are now level 7 without having retired.

Our Tinkerer literally can't retire until we hit Prosperity 4 and our Spellweaver's been super cagey about how he retires, beyond "it hasn't come up yet."

Stelas posted:

Brute retired and now I'm wondering whether to switch to the Tinkerer or the Cthulhu. Choice is hard (someone else has plans to Spellweaver so I don't want to steal it from under them). Also we're one prosperity off 3. Boooo.

Does that include the tick you get for retiring the character?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

OmegaGoo posted:

there's already enough items (not necessarily good ones, mind you)

Be careful with initial assumptions on item value. I resisted picking up a piercing bow for my spellweaver for a long time because it looked kinda awful but it ended up being amazing. My play group was underestimating loss items like the battleaxe for a long time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Some Numbers posted:

My campaign seems to be progressing radically differently from normal; we hit Prosperity 3 right before our first retirement and my compatriots are now level 7 without having retired.

We just hit prosperity 3 are a mix of level 5-6, and are still a few scenarios from retiring anyone. But we'll also retire three simultaneously so that's neat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Does that include the tick you get for retiring the character?

Sadly, yeah. Maybe I should have waited a little bit, but we were going 'the sooner we clear career goals, the more stuff we have open'.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Prosperity is something that the game handles for you pretty much automatically, right? Just want to make sure that there's nothing I should be tracking with regard to prosperity outside of whenever a quest reward tells us to add a check or whatever. The main reason I ask is because the other day I was flipping through the rule book and noticed the list of party achievements which I somehow completely missed the first time around.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some Numbers posted:

Our Tinkerer literally can't retire until we hit Prosperity 4 and our Spellweaver's been super cagey about how he retires, beyond "it hasn't come up yet."
If this is the goal I think it is this isn't quite true, the prosperity cap is on enhanced cards, so you can enhance one card four times if you have the gold and want to retire at prosperity 1

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

The main reason I ask is because the other day I was flipping through the rule book and noticed the list of party achievements which I somehow completely missed the first time around.

More or less, but you should probably try to remember how many times you've used the church, if you've been playing a while. The unlock for it is a prosperity tick, plus a means to get a lot more prosperity over time from further donations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

We ran scenario 66 last night. Very weird scenario, a lot more fun than scenario 2. We decided to go work on 66 instead of 2. We unlocked 66 from the chest in scenario 1.

We didn't complete the scenario but it was still a lot more fun than Scenario 2. Scenario 66 seems like it would be a LOT easier with more than 2 people. You have to open doors by standing on pressure plates. Doors only stay open so long as someone is standing on a pressure plate. So with only two of us, it basically meant that one of us would open the door, then the other had to go stand on the pressure plate in the next room to keep the door open so the first person could come through. It really limited our movement and available actions. With 3-4 players, there would be much greater options.

We didn't finish the scenario, but we got a chest with the Rocket Boots item design (though, we're both still at level 1, so this 80 gold item is a ways off for us).

tldr: Scenario 66 is fun as heck.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That one was loving hard 2 player, yeah. Took us at least two tries.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

misguided rage posted:

If this is the goal I think it is this isn't quite true, the prosperity cap is on enhanced cards, so you can enhance one card four times if you have the gold and want to retire at prosperity 1

...huh. I definitely remember us reading that differently. In that case, he's gated by his available gold, which will still take a while to accumulate, especially since there's a huge tax on the second enhancement

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

We ran scenario 66 last night. Very weird scenario, a lot more fun than scenario 2. We decided to go work on 66 instead of 2. We unlocked 66 from the chest in scenario 1.

We didn't complete the scenario but it was still a lot more fun than Scenario 2. Scenario 66 seems like it would be a LOT easier with more than 2 people. You have to open doors by standing on pressure plates. Doors only stay open so long as someone is standing on a pressure plate. So with only two of us, it basically meant that one of us would open the door, then the other had to go stand on the pressure plate in the next room to keep the door open so the first person could come through. It really limited our movement and available actions. With 3-4 players, there would be much greater options.

We didn't finish the scenario, but we got a chest with the Rocket Boots item design (though, we're both still at level 1, so this 80 gold item is a ways off for us).

tldr: Scenario 66 is fun as heck.

We did it two player with no problems. Just open the door and let the golem come to you. We even slammed the door on his face once or twice.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some Numbers posted:

...huh. I definitely remember us reading that differently. In that case, he's gated by his available gold, which will still take a while to accumulate, especially since there's a huge tax on the second enhancement
You can get around that, the extra cost is only for additional enhancements on the same action, so you can do the top/bottom of one card for no extra cost. It's probably more satisfying to wait until you can afford to enhance things you actually want enhanced though, instead of just jamming on the cheapest ones you can manage

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just hit level 6 as Moon, that stuff's getting crazy. One of our other characters can generate Night + another element in a single turn pretty easily - turns out deleting an elite enemy right off the bat makes a *lot* of first rooms quite a bit easier.

Going to be retiring next session, but I'm glad I got to see that in action first.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So it's impossible to complete scenario 82 in casual mode, right?

Jabor posted:

Just hit level 6 as Moon, that stuff's getting crazy. One of our other characters can generate Night + another element in a single turn pretty easily - turns out deleting an elite enemy right off the bat makes a *lot* of first rooms quite a bit easier.

Going to be retiring next session, but I'm glad I got to see that in action first.

I kept moon around for much longer than I had to just because that move is so satisfying. Do it twice and most scenarios fall over like a Jenga tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I loving love this game.