Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenVulgarity posted:

BIO BROLY loving SUCKS

Not even Broly fans like to talk about Bio Broly. Not even BT3 added Bio Broly as a playable character.

No one likes remembering Bio Broly happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

BIO BROLY loving SUCKS

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Dias posted:

Strength forgives all, but selling yourself to get more strength and LOSING is shameful. That's pride. That's fuckin' Vegeta, for Christ's sake. Jiren has done poo poo his way and he's stronger than the prospective GoD and apparently the actual GoD. You mention angels and UI, but they haven't said "if you train with me you'll unlock this poo poo" ever. Whis has foreshadowed it as the final result of the training but it's not like Goku knew it was coming. So why care? Jiren cares about being the strongest and cleaning up poo poo his way.

That's the same thing I'm arguing but you're taking it backwards; Jiren cares about being the Strongest, and he has been clear when he says 'Strength Forgives all'. He only cares about not losing, because that's shameful. That doesn't mean not training with the Angels; if they make him strong, then that's all the matters. There's no 'that's not my way' because he has no way other then wanting to be 'stronger', because Strength is all that Matters. He says that.

He is similar to Vegeta but unlike Vegeta who gets pride from other things, his only Pride is in his strength. If you're only prideful in your strength and you say 'Strength forgives all' and 'Strength is all that matters', you can't say that doing something is against your pride when the only thing that your pride matters about is being strong.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why is Jiren even a pride trooper if he thinks trust is dumb. It’s not like they can give him even reasonable sparring

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ZenVulgarity posted:

BIO BROLY loving SUCKS

I guess you didn't end up drunk enough in time?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kashuno posted:

Why is Jiren even a pride trooper if he thinks trust is dumb. It’s not like they can give him even reasonable sparring

Possibly association with his GoD?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jiren doesn’t give a poo poo about the celestial beauracracy and is more powerful than the current GoD or next one. If Belmod was the evil dude from the story, Jiren could teach him a thing or two already

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bio broly is so weird. goten, trunks, krillin, and 18 are the main characters? what? did they just pick the supporting cast out of a hat...?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stallion Cabana posted:

That's the same thing I'm arguing but you're taking it backwards; Jiren cares about being the Strongest, and he has been clear when he says 'Strength Forgives all'. He only cares about not losing, because that's shameful. That doesn't mean not training with the Angels; if they make him strong, then that's all the matters. There's no 'that's not my way' because he has no way other then wanting to be 'stronger', because Strength is all that Matters. He says that.

He is similar to Vegeta but unlike Vegeta who gets pride from other things, his only Pride is in his strength. If you're only prideful in your strength and you say 'Strength forgives all' and 'Strength is all that matters', you can't say that doing something is against your pride when the only thing that your pride matters about is being strong.

You basically disagree with the basic core concept of "strength meaning everything" not meaning "you should lie cheat and steal to beat people". Jiren never played that card, so I think it's stupid to argue his obsession with strength is beating people via whichever means. He overcome the Angels' disciples, he FEELS like he's the strongest. His strength is the only one that matters. Vegeta literally went "gently caress UI I'LL DO IT MY WAY" too.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Everything about Bio Broly just sucks. I mean just look at him, he looks like goddamn poo poo.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'd go with his whole "trust is bullshit" angle to explain it; not super conducive to being interested in a teacher

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Jiren being a Pride Trooper is a means to an end. It gives him access to a useful network of informants that lets him fight Strong Guys often so he can become stronger. It's not more complicated than that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe jiren joined because he likes the uniform

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think people are overlooking the more obvious contraction of Jiren saying he was searching for something beyond strength and then being all "nah strength is where it's at" an episode later

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He wants the Super Dragonballs which have nothing to do with strength

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think people are overlooking the more obvious contraction of Jiren saying he was searching for something beyond strength and then being all "nah strength is where it's at" an episode later

That's apparently a fault with the translation rather than the writing, Herms commented soon after the subs came out that Jiren's line in Japanese had a different connotation, something closer to finding strength beyond strength rather than just something entirely different that could only be obtained after gaining strength. Sadly I can't find the tweet itself to quote though.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Raditz got to fight his ghost dad in the "Fateful Brothers" episode of Budokai Tenkaichi 2. I think that is the only interaction they have ever had.

Raditz also said he missed his dad which is pretty sentimental for a Saiyan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Okay I keep seeing this but I'll go ahead and answer, because either people are forgetting what was said by the show or they are stringently ignoring it- or have come up with their own reasonings that they aren't sharing-, and it's really annoying to act like the show has been consistent when it hasn't been. I know that you are just going to ignore me, but whatever.

Why is Jiren, who is obsessed with Strength over everything, believes that Strength is Absolute, and that if you're Strong you are forgiven of everything, not the God of Destruction of his Universe, or the God of Destruction in Training at the very least? He is stronger then Belmond, it is specifically said, and is specifically said to be stronger then Toppo, the actual God of Destruction candidate.

The title of God of Destruction is on at least some level merit based; Champa and Beerus are brothers, which means that at least one of them is the God of Destruction of a Universe they were not born into, and the fact that Toppo is being trained to be a GoD means that mortals can be assigned as Gods of Destruction.

The God of Destruction is supposed to be the strongest thing in the universe, because their job is to eliminate threats and destroy bad planets so the universe flourishes and grows in mortal level.

Why is Jiren not the God of Destruction of Universe 11, or at least in training to be one, when he is already stronger then the God of Destruction, and he is stronger then the candidate? Either it wasn't offered to him, or he refused it.

If it wasn't offered to him, why was it chosen to be Toppo and not him? Toppo cares more about Justice and doing the right thing then Jiren does, something that the show goes out of it's way to say is arguably incompatible with being a God of Destruction, because Toppo giving up on Justice allows him to reach the GoD level, and then he loses because he gave up on his ideals (A bag of worms I'm not getting into because this is about Jiren). Why, then, would they not offer to Jiren, a person who is both stronger then Belmond, and a person who is perfectly compatible in his beliefs with the job of God of Destruction.

If it was offered to Jiren and he refused it, why did he refuse it? Why would a man who only cares about being stronger, who believes that Strength is the only thing that matters, turn down the ability to become even stronger? That doesn't fit with his characterization given, because he has been *extremely* clear in a way that you can't argue; he has said 'Strength is all that matters. Strength Forgives all.' This has nothing in it, nothing in his worldview, that explains why Jiren would turn down such a position, because it offers him the absolute epitome of his ideals; if he trains and becomes a GoD, then he is in charge of destruction, he is the most powerful thing in his universe, and that means all of his actions are justified, because Strength Forgives all.

Both of these actions are incompatible with Jiren's current portrayal, full stop. They only make sense if there's a reason why Jiren would not want to be a God of Destruction, and as of right now, with his current characterization, there is no reason for him to not want to be one.

I don’t see how being disinterested in being GOD has to do with inconsistent characterization?

I get it’s a path you want to see him go down but those are two different things. Like they make a huge deal about how he is stronger than GOd so that obviously doesn’t work.

I also don’t see why I would ignore you other than the fact your post doesn’t seem to have much to do with mine.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just realized that hit is universe 6's tien

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see how being disinterested in being GOD has to do with inconsistent characterization?

I get it’s a path you want to see him go down but those are two different things. Like they make a huge deal about how he is stronger than GOd so that obviously doesn’t work.

I also don’t see why I would ignore you other than the fact your post doesn’t seem to have much to do with mine.

It's an inconsistent characterization because a character who only wants to be strong looks at a clear path to be strong and goes 'no thank you'. That doesn't make sense, at all. It's just how it is. Nothing changes that it doesn't make sense.

It's not a path I want him to go down at all. I want a path where the character of Jiren is consistent. I want a show where the antagonist actually feels consistent, because despite arguments otherwise, Jiren really does feel like they completely rewrote his character like 4 episodes ago.

As for the last one, ehhh, that's not really true but meta discussions on posting habits aren't exactly interesting either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But there is no inconsistency outside a scenario you made up whole cloth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
He is STRONGER than the goddamn next GoD and apparently the current GoD. He's also proud/arrogant as gently caress, and that's been consistent. Why would he look for help from weaker people? You're also pretending UI was common knowledge AND that he didn't match Goku punch for punch when he first unlocked it AND that Whis actively said "stick with me and i'll teach you in two months how to react instantly">

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Yes it is inconsistent that a guy who literally only cares about strength and getting stronger would ignore a teacher like an Angel, who is the strongest person in a universe.

This isn't that difficult. There's no inconsistency that I made up 'whole cloth', I'm literally just talking about the last few episodes where him not being a GoD Candidate makes no sense when all he cares about is getting stronger. There's larger inconsistencies then that but I'm literally just focusing on that single part, which isn't one that doesn't make sense.

Jiren believes only strength matters. There is someone stronger then him. Rather then attempting to become stronger and learn from them, he decides it's not worth his time, despite the fact that through learning with this person he could unlock strength far greater then anything simply like 'punching' someone, a strength that does more then make you great at punching, but instead gives you the power to straight up delete things, a great power beyond anything learned by just punching people. You could almost call it 'A Strength beyond Strength.'

He either was not offered this, or did not take it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if you want to believe that than you do you.

As obviously this is going nowhere as I find your argument unconvincing.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 24, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yes it is inconsistent that a guy who literally only cares about strength and getting stronger would ignore a teacher like an Angel, who is the strongest person in a universe.

This isn't that difficult. There's no inconsistency that I made up 'whole cloth', I'm literally just talking about the last few episodes where him not being a GoD Candidate makes no sense when all he cares about is getting stronger. There's larger inconsistencies then that but I'm literally just focusing on that single part, which isn't one that doesn't make sense.

Jiren believes only strength matters. There is someone stronger then him. Rather then attempting to become stronger and learn from them, he decides it's not worth his time, despite the fact that through learning with this person he could unlock strength far greater then anything simply like 'punching' someone, a strength that does more then make you great at punching, but instead gives you the power to straight up delete things, a great power beyond anything learned by just punching people. You could almost call it 'A Strength beyond Strength.'

He either was not offered this, or did not take it.

nice merton

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When Jiren says he wants something beyond strength, he means that he wants to gently caress good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sockser posted:

When Jiren says he wants something beyond strength, he means that he wants to gently caress good

Sadly he gets confused on how that works and just wishes for panties.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sockser posted:

So, Goku had that which was beyond strength this whole time.

How ironic.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Goku had that which was beyond strength this whole time.

How ironic.

I said gently caress good

Goku is totally an awful lay

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He's not otherwise chichi would have divorced him a long time ago

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Stairmaster posted:

Hit v Jiren does kinda remind me of Tien vs Tamborine, now that you mention it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Stairmaster posted:

He's not otherwise chichi would have divorced him a long time ago

He's a great kisser. He just never learned you can kiss mouths, too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Whether or not Jiren is consistent, I think the far bigger issue is that Jiren is really, really boring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He’s fine but I think it would be helpful if we got what his wish would be.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
We don't even know if all the Angels are like Whis and are willing to train other people like Goku and Vegeta.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

BurningDance posted:

We don't even know if all the Angels are like Whis and are willing to train other people like Goku and Vegeta.

that's part of my argument; it seems to be a thing that only Whis does, given the quality of other universes. But Angels are the trainers of Gods of Destruction, and thus by that logic, their students. If you wanted to train with an Angel and you aren't Goku and Vegeta, it seems like you need to be a GoD or a GoD in training.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

u7 is on the bottom end of the quality scale tho so I'm not sure what you mean

aren't they like second to last?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Stairmaster posted:

No wonder he owns so much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seems to me that, if Jiren is indeed a Superman-esque dude who refuses to kill to the point he doesn't want to ring people out even this deep into the competition (continually telling and asking Vegeta to ring himself out, for instance, until it's clear he has no choice but do it himself), that he probably doesn't want to be GoD, whether it gives him power or something beyond power or not. Their whole schtick is killing to keep balance. I don't think that's Jiren's style at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

that's part of my argument; it seems to be a thing that only Whis does, given the quality of other universes. But Angels are the trainers of Gods of Destruction, and thus by that logic, their students. If you wanted to train with an Angel and you aren't Goku and Vegeta, it seems like you need to be a GoD or a GoD in training.

Yeah and Vegeta wants strength and he actively refused poo poo because he doesn't want to copy Goku.