Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

PenBBS Cranberry came in today, the seller included a pretty neat PenBBS Kimono. Canada Customs held on to this thing for a full week and never bothered to open the package. Thanks guys, real great. At least I didn't get hit with a Customs charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zenostein posted:

:confused:
How else are you going to get any decent amount of flex out of a nib? Cutting bits out of it is sorta how that works, isn't it?

Nah not necessarily. Most vintage fountain pen flex nibs and even most current dip pen flex nibs flex just fine without any side cutouts. Those seem to be used to get a nib flexible without spending time on more advanced metalworking :effort:. Pilot have apparently managed to minmax this properly and their Fa nibs (which look almost the same as the Conklin/DIY flex nibs but in gold) can at least credibly compete with vintage flex nibs IMO, especially the smaller sized ones used on the 912. By the way, the 912 is the one true pen and you should own one one of every nib type.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 24, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Daily Update: USPS is insisting that they are unable to open an investigation according to the sender. Canada Post is insisting that they are unable to investigate without a request from USPS. The facility that the package was sent to continues to not pick up their phone, however a guy I spoke to this morning said if I call Monday that a supervisor might be able to get them to pick up.

The postal system is great when it works, but drat if it isn't a poo poo show when it doesn't.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Well if we're talking about pleb non-leather, I use that Lihit too (for Leuchtturms, mostly), and like it a lot. However, I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming, rad, expensive-rear end A5 Seed from Nock.

(The A6 version is currently out.)

You haven’t seen expensive-rear end covers until you’ve seen what we’re cooking up.

(basically what I’m saying is prepare your wallet. it’s gonna be dope)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

The postal system is great when it works

Does not compute

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

PILOT HAS FLEX NIBS?? Whereee

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

suck my woke dick posted:

Nah not necessarily. Most vintage fountain pen flex nibs and even most current dip pen flex nibs flex just fine without any side cutouts. Those seem to be used to get a nib flexible without spending time on more advanced metalworking :effort:. Pilot have apparently managed to minmax this properly and their Fa nibs (which look almost the same as the Conklin/DIY flex nibs but in gold) can at least credibly compete with vintage flex nibs IMO, especially the smaller sized ones used on the 912. By the way, the 912 is the one true pen and you should own one one of every nib type.

Well, yes. But there's no way that making a nib flexible like that would be worthwhile for any manufacturer today. Plus, that would almost definitely lead to a bunch of people destroying nibs in various ways, which would probably just end in bad PR for the company no matter what. So you do the sensible thing and use cutouts. Hell, even most flexible dip nibs do that, don't they?

Xun posted:

PILOT HAS FLEX NIBS?? Whereee

You can get the FA[lcon] nib on the Falcon/(they have some other name that starts with an E elsewhere), and the triple-digit Custom pens, I believe. It's not technically a flex nib, it's just incredibly flexible. There's also the SF and SM nibs, which are also "sorta flexible." I have one, it's pretty nice. The soft- ones are roughly comparable to a semi-flex, so far as I'm concerned. So, easier than any of the steel "flex" nibs, but with maybe less variation.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grack posted:

Does not compute

Eh, this is the only problem I've ever had in ~15 years of buying things online. I really hope it gets resolved!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

You can get the FA[lcon] nib on the Falcon/(they have some other name that starts with an E elsewhere), and the triple-digit Custom pens, I believe.

No, the Falcon/Elabo only has the SEF/SF/SM/SB soft nibs, which are distinct from the FA nibs. FA nibs come in size 10 (Custom 742, Custom Heritage 912) and size 15 (Custom 743, and the special order Custom 823 from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill). It's generally accepted that the size 10 flexes more than the size 15 FA, and both flex more than the Falcon/Elabo nibs. SEF should have the thinnest hairlines.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
TIL there's a "Goulet Nation" Facebook group for Goulet fanbois :lol: :wtf:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Dad Hominem posted:

No, the Falcon/Elabo only has the SEF/SF/SM/SB soft nibs, which are distinct from the FA nibs. FA nibs come in size 10 (Custom 742, Custom Heritage 912) and size 15 (Custom 743, and the special order Custom 823 from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill). It's generally accepted that the size 10 flexes more than the size 15 FA, and both flex more than the Falcon/Elabo nibs. SEF should have the thinnest hairlines.

Is that why generally those videos full of insane-flexing flacons are all "custom" falcons?

Hm. Looking at their site, they really do have some insane options in the triple-digit models. Like all of their options. They don't even offer the SFM on the Elabo (thanks for that, by the way)

Trustworthy posted:

TIL there's a "Goulet Nation" Facebook group for Goulet fanbois :lol: :wtf:

How bad is it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

How bad is it?

You've been deputized to find out and report back. Go make a post calling out Brian for lying through his teeth about the Monza/Jinhao 992 thing and tell us what the replies are like. I suggest you bring whiskey.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

You've been deputized to find out and report back.

Yeah, this.

If I'm going to join a rabid cult following, it's going to be for something badass, not for the squeakiest couple at Sunday School and their warehouse/shipping business

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

grack posted:

You've been deputized to find out and report back. Go make a post calling out Brian for lying through his teeth about the Monza/Jinhao 992 thing and tell us what the replies are like. I suggest you bring whiskey.

Somehow, this does not seem like worth the effort to figure out how to restore my facebook account or whatever.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

Is that why generally those videos full of insane-flexing flacons are all "custom" falcons?

Yes. The first such video to go viral was pretty much an ad for John Mottishaw's Spencerian modification for Falcons. I suppose it's a testament to his work that the stock pens don't come anywhere near to the performance of the modified ones. I had him add more flow to my 743 FA and have been very happy with it since then - it railroaded lots before.

By the way, I finally found a source for the oft-repeated statement that the Falcon is designed expressly for writing Japanese: http://www.pilot.co.jp/library/015/ (use Google translate)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

grack posted:

It's a bunch of people posting what inks and pens and such they like, plus a post about someone who's having trouble with USPS

Basically this thread, sorry to disappoint if you were looking for something spicier

edit: I should mention that I mean both of them are good, not criticizing here

Tochiazuma fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 25, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zenostein posted:

Well, yes. But there's no way that making a nib flexible like that would be worthwhile for any manufacturer today. Plus, that would almost definitely lead to a bunch of people destroying nibs in various ways, which would probably just end in bad PR for the company no matter what. So you do the sensible thing and use cutouts.
Yeah it would be expensive per unit, but on the other hand :shepspends: collectors edition handmade monstrosities exist and I’m sure that people who own $15k in different-year Montblanc 149s and 25 slightly differently flexy Waterman 52s would buy the modern interpretation too. The main limitation might be that nobody does it anymore so the first company to reintroduce them will have to tool up a new production line and do a little metallurgy r&d to do it in thick gold instead of just thin dip nib steel properly :retrogames:.

As far as breaking nibs goes, that’s probably same for Pilot Fa nibs.

quote:

Hell, even most flexible dip nibs do that, don't they?
Off the top of my head (and looking into my dip nib tin) I can’t think of many that do?

quote:

You can get the FA[lcon] nib on the Falcon/(they have some other name that starts with an E elsewhere), and the triple-digit Custom pens, I believe. It's not technically a flex nib, it's just incredibly flexible. There's also the SF and SM nibs, which are also "sorta flexible." I have one, it's pretty nice. The soft- ones are roughly comparable to a semi-flex, so far as I'm concerned. So, easier than any of the steel "flex" nibs, but with maybe less variation.

Yeah the FA and SF/M nibs are pretty nice. Notably they’re much less flexy on Platinum, you’re not supposed to actually flex their SF at all (it’s just nicely bouncy when writing) because it’ll bend away from the feed after a few tries.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

It's a bunch of people posting what inks and pens and such they like, plus a post about someone who's having trouble with USPS

That's no damned fun at all.

Also I bought another PenBBS pen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A bit of an update: I contacted Canada Post and complained that no one seemed willing to help me and that I was starting to worry that an employee had taken my package. That turned out to be the magic phrase- right away she moved to Escalations and created a ticket for me. Apparently someone will contact me tomorrow and I heard her mumbling the address of the last post office the pen should have been processed at.

On a different topic, a relative of my partner died a few weeks ago. Her husband knew I liked art and pens and stuff, so he gave me her easel-box containing paints and a few pen things. While it was mostly calligraphy nibs that didn't have a pen to put in them, I was able to use on of them with an old plastic dip pen (it's wet because I just washed it off):

A close up to show the out of alignment:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

A close up to show the out of alignment:

Those bend fairly easily, you could probably tweak that just right in a couple of minutes. Pretty sure you adjust flow the same way (but away/towards the nib), for your five-word problem.

suck my woke dick posted:

Off the top of my head (and looking into my dip nib tin) I can’t think of many that do?

Yeah the FA and SF/M nibs are pretty nice. Notably they’re much less flexy on Platinum, you’re not supposed to actually flex their SF at all (it’s just nicely bouncy when writing) because it’ll bend away from the feed after a few tries.

I said cutout, but I meant slits, for dip pens. At least I've seen a fair few with extra slits cut in to increase flexibility.

Platinum's softs aren't meant to flex? I've got a [probably] M Platinum that is really springy… I'd assume if they labelled something soft it would be even springier.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Where does one go to find a replacement nib for a Sheaffer 300? Mine's in M, I want F.

Also, after getting a custom turned pen, I'm curious to see how bad it'd be if I was to turn my own. Anyone ever try it? I last took woodshop in high school so I at least know how to operate a chopsaw, drill press, and lathe. There are makerspaces near me but they require taking a course to certify I know what I'm doing or have a monthly membership fee that eclipses the cost of getting a pen or two done by a turner each month.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MJP posted:

Where does one go to find a replacement nib for a Sheaffer 300? Mine's in M, I want F.

Buying another Sheaffer pen. That's really about it. You could try a vintage nib on eBay, but there's no guarantee that it will fit.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Put some J. Herbin Stormy Grey in my (new!) Pilot Kakuno with medium nib and it jams up something fierce. I'm going to guess that I should save any shimmery shiny inks for my Preppy medium?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The shimmer inks need a fat nib to bring out their true potential.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Put some J. Herbin Stormy Grey in my (new!) Pilot Kakuno with medium nib and it jams up something fierce. I'm going to guess that I should save any shimmery shiny inks for my Preppy medium?

I have a lot of trouble with 1670 and shimertastic inks in pens that don't have fat ebonite feeds. My pilots and platinums both struggle to flow with the sediment clogging the feed channel, regardless of what nib I'm using.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I cannot get shimmer inks to cooperate with Pilot feeds and nibs.

Jowo nibs and feeds have worked fine, though, as long as they have been tuned wet.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

I have a lot of trouble with 1670 and shimertastic inks in pens that don't have fat ebonite feeds. My pilots and platinums both struggle to flow with the sediment clogging the feed channel, regardless of what nib I'm using.

I've had zero problems (beyond trying to capture the effect with a phone camera) with Emerald of Chivor in the Preppy medium, which is also a really shiny ink:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Got my second PenBBS 308 today, in transparent absinthe. Eyedroppered it (my first time eyedroppering anything) and put in a spare #6 Goulet nib.

Here are some thoughts and questions...

1.) The color's a bit lighter than I was hoping for. I figured with dark ink in it, it would give off a "sexy subtle wine bottle" vibe. Instead, the color is more from the "Aunt Becky's X-mas decorations" palette. I'll probably warm up to it, though.

2.) The next time I've had a few beers, maybe I'll try to convince myself that it's an Omas Ogiva Vision.

3.) I've heard that inner cap clearance has been an issue for nip-swappers, and I can definitely see how that could be an issue. I want to put a broad nib into this thing, but the only good #6 I had lying around was a Goulet extra fine. There's, like, just shy of a millimeter of clearance between the tip and the metal ring at the end of the inner cap. If I had a broad #6 with a lot of tipping, I could definitely imagine it kissing that metal.

4.) There's only supposed to be one O-ring in the 308, right? After I finished eyedroppering this 308 and messing around with a couple other pens, I somehow ended up with a spare O-ring sitting on my desk. I'm at a loss as to where it came from; everything seems to be in place inside all my pens. Maybe it stowed away aboard my grease bottle or something...

5.) Does anybody know when the PenBBS plunger fillers and vac-fillers (reported on by FrankUnderwater and confirmed by PenBBS in December) are due to hit the market? Like, by summer, hopefully...? I'm dying to get my hands on one of the plungers; they look so. loving. sexy.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 26, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trustworthy posted:

4.) There's only supposed to be one O-ring in the 308, right? After I finished eyedroppering this 308 and messing around with a couple other pens, I somehow ended up with a spare O-ring sitting on my desk. I'm at a loss as to where it came from; everything seems to be in place inside all my pens. Maybe it stowed away aboard my grease bottle or something...
I had one around the thread of the section. On one of the pens, it tried to come down the threads as I loosened it, but the others stay up beyond the threads towards the top of the cap.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cross Posting:

Professor Shark posted:

So I went True Detective/ crazy person today and went into the last place my package SHOULD have arrived. I say SHOULD because it appears that it got on a truck at the Distribution Center, but the Canada Post it would have arrived at does not scan their parcels before they go out of delivery. So it's possible that a) the package is still on the truck or b) the package got off the truck and piled with other mail going to my area.

They person I spoke to checked out back and could not find it. The paper I showed him listed the Escalations Ticket #, which he noted. I asked him if it were possible that the package went with the wrong driver, which he didn't seem to eager to agree with me on, but he did take 1) a copy of the pictures of the package/customs form/ sender receipt, the tracking info showing it stopped at the truck/ their office, and my number so that his supervisor could call me tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will stop at each of the post offices along the delivery route for the driver and show them a picture of the package.

The sender has asked me to hold off until March 5th, one month after sending the package, before we talk refunds/replacements. Is there any risk in this? Does Paypal have a deadline of some sort that I could miss by waiting?

Edit: I don't think I mentioned it, but this is a Signature Required delivery, if that makes any difference in how they are tracked.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

1.) The color's a bit lighter than I was hoping for. I figured with dark ink in it, it would give off a "sexy subtle wine bottle" vibe. Instead, the color is more from the "Aunt Becky's X-mas decorations" palette. I'll probably warm up to it, though.

2.) The next time I've had a few beers, maybe I'll try to convince myself that it's an Omas Ogiva Vision.

I like all the PenBBS pics posted so far and you're not alone with the Omas lookalike search :sigh:

They're not even that great FP but I love the OMAS Paragon Arco ever since I saw it yrs ago. So it goes.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Professor Shark posted:

Cross Posting:

Dude at this point just file for a refund. Or was this a rare / hard to find pen? I thought it was just a production TWSBI?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Dude at this point just file for a refund. Or was this a rare / hard to find pen? I thought it was just a production TWSBI?

TWSBI 580AL Lava, so I guess sort of hard to find?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
The J. Herbin shimmer inks use much smaller granules than the diamine shimmer inks. I've only gotten really satisfactory results from the diamine using a glass dip pen where there's no feed to clog because it's clogged everything else I've tried.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Professor Shark posted:

TWSBI 580AL Lava, so I guess sort of hard to find?

Oh bummer dude. And yes I think there is a limit on the timeline you can claim. You should think about at least opening up the formal process with PayPal or whoever. You still have a chance to rectify things but if you wait too long and THEN open a claim, you might SOL.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Alder posted:

I like all the PenBBS pics posted so far and you're not alone with the Omas lookalike search :sigh:

They're not even that great FP but I love the OMAS Paragon Arco ever since I saw it yrs ago. So it goes.

My Omas Ogiva Cocktail was a nightmare. The nib was hosed, so I got a replacement, and then the piston froze -- ink and water were getting behind the piston, so of course it did -- so it went back and I got it back with a new body, and then the piston on THAT one froze in exactly the same way. I returned it for store credit and got a celluloid 3776 instead.

Somewhere in there Omas closed. Appointments had a London Smoke Paragon in-stock for the longest time, and I really liked the way it looked, but there was no way I was going to chance it after the Ogiva.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Alder posted:

I like all the PenBBS pics posted so far

Well alright, here’s my new one with my greenest pens. Well ones more blueish but I don’t got much green.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The one on the right looks like an ebonite finish. What is that one?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

It’s from Asa Pens, I think it’s called Genius, but it’s their smallest thing cuz I like small pens and yeah it’s ebonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh bummer dude. And yes I think there is a limit on the timeline you can claim. You should think about at least opening up the formal process with PayPal or whoever. You still have a chance to rectify things but if you wait too long and THEN open a claim, you might SOL.

I checked it out, apparently it's 180 days