Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Any recommendations for "historical" crime novels? I'm thinking mostly pre-industrial. So far I've read some Ruusuvuori, Van Gulik (one of my favourites but only because they're hell of fast reads), Eco's Il nome della rosa, Christie's Death Comes as the End (which wasn't very good), and one of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels but I can't remember the title.

In English, Finnish, or Swedish (as long as it's pretty much standard Swedish).

e: a few things some writers of historical fiction seem to love that I do not love: awkward foot sex scenes on the smithy floor, detailed descriptions of nautical manoeuvres, info dumps.

Bruce Holsinger's A Burnable Book and The Invention of Fire are about Geoffrey Chaucer and John Gower teaming up to solve mysteries in late-14th century England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Bruce Holsinger's A Burnable Book and The Invention of Fire are about Geoffrey Chaucer and John Gower teaming up to solve mysteries in late-14th century England

Man, I was trying to remember and recommend those, so, yeah, seconding this. The author is a pretty cool dude, too!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Any particular version of The Conquest of Gaul that I should seek out? I care more about readability than scholarship.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I recently finished Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson and I'm interested in reading more "hard sci-fi" in that style, specifically with space exploration/colony ships. I've previously read 2312 and The Mars Trilogy by Robinson so those are already checked off.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Bloopsy posted:

I recently finished Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson and I'm interested in reading more "hard sci-fi" in that style, specifically with space exploration/colony ships. I've previously read 2312 and The Mars Trilogy by Robinson so those are already checked off.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds is the first thing that comes to mind.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Reynolds’ Blue Remembered Earth and the rest of that trilogy comes to mind as being pretty much what you’re looking for. But nothing in sci-fi is nearly as good as Aurora

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
I want to read something like "The dark tower" by Stephen King. What can you recommend?)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Similar in what regard? What did you like about it?

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
Amazing post-apocalyptic world, weird fantastic creations, cool outstanding heroes, exciting adventures..these are the things I really liked)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

unstucker posted:

Amazing post-apocalyptic world, weird fantastic creations, cool outstanding heroes, exciting adventures..these are the things I really liked)

China Mieville's Bas Lag Books

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Is there any modern fantasy that has the folksiness and coziness of early WOT? It seems like we're in a post-GOT/Malazan world where everything is grim, dark, political, dire, etc. Give me the village green, ample descriptions of food, folklore, family poo poo, etc. in with my epic high fantasy. Anything?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Is there any modern fantasy that has the folksiness and coziness of early WOT? It seems like we're in a post-GOT/Malazan world where everything is grim, dark, political, dire, etc. Give me the village green, ample descriptions of food, folklore, family poo poo, etc. in with my epic high fantasy. Anything?

Stardust

Also, Lord of the Rings

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Belgariad and Lois McMaster Bujold's "Sharing Knife" series might do you.

unstucker posted:

Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World is a rather different take on fantasy gunslinging but good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

unstucker posted:

Viriconium. Seconding Miéville too. And you might like City of Stairs.

Not sure if it's what your looking for, but one of the coziest fantasy books in years was The Goblin Emperor.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Uprooted is pretty folksy.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
Thank you, guys!)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I realized the other day I've never read a really well-written biography (or autobiography) of anyone. I know I've read a few biographies that were poorly written and mostly just a collection of dates, back in school. What are some really fantastic biographies? I'm actually not picky about the subject, though I'm mostly interested in figures from the last century or so. I know that's a really broad question, but I'm open to reading anything, and figure there's probably a good biography or two of people I wouldn't necessarily seek out from my own knowledge of history, which is... well, spotty and American.

On the fiction end of the spectrum, I'm looking for something along the lines of Universal Harvester or The Grip of It, something literary and well-written with either subtle or overt horror elements. I guess I'd throw The Haunting of Hill House in the mix too, as it's probably one of my favorite books.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

On the fiction end of the spectrum, I'm looking for something along the lines of Universal Harvester or The Grip of It, something literary and well-written with either subtle or overt horror elements. I guess I'd throw The Haunting of Hill House in the mix too, as it's probably one of my favorite books.

The Hike, Southern Reach Trilogy, Hex, Head full of ghosts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MockingQuantum, I tend not to read biographies, but my mother does, and she highly recommends An Autobiography by Agatha Christie. My mom's words were "it's not like the others that go nan-nan-nan but it delves into the war, the way things were" - so give it a go!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Hike, Southern Reach Trilogy, Hex, Head full of ghosts

Weird, I've never heard of The Hike, but I've read the other three (and should have mentioned them, along with Hill House they also top my list of favorites). I'll check it out, thanks!

StrixNebulosa posted:

MockingQuantum, I tend not to read biographies, but my mother does, and she highly recommends An Autobiography by Agatha Christie. My mom's words were "it's not like the others that go nan-nan-nan but it delves into the war, the way things were" - so give it a go!

I will indeed give it a go, I've read a ton of her fiction so it'd be interesting to hear about her life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

The Vegetarian by Han Kang (it was a BOTM)
Blackwater by Michael McDowell (it was also a BOTM)
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
Slade House by David Mitchell
The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue
A Good Man Is Hard To Find and other stories by Flannery O'Conner (or her complete short story collection) Not overtly horror, but certainly well-written Southern Gothic with dark themes and plots, similar to Shirley Jackson
North American Lake Monsters: Stories by Nathan Ballingrud
Books of Blood by Clive Barker is pretty much essential for any horror fans.

I assume you've read Wolf In White Van? It's not really horror, but it has a sinister feel throughout.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

A Good Man Is Hard To Find and other stories by Flannery O'Conner (or her complete short story collection) Not overtly horror, but certainly well-written Southern Gothic with dark themes and plots, similar to Shirley Jackson

I assume you've read Wolf In White Van? It's not really horror, but it has a sinister feel throughout.

Thank you for this list! I've read a few but lots here that I haven't. I actually have not read Wolf In White Van. I only just finished Universal Harvester a week or so ago, and Darnielle wasn't really on my radar before that (as a novelist anyway.) Also I love A Good Man Is Hard To Find, I think I might need to reread it and dig into more O'Conner. How's Wise Blood?

As a side note for anyone unfamiliar with it, Blackwater was not at all what I expected, but really hit home for me. An excellent read, though also more Southern Gothic than out-and-out horror.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Thank you for this list! I've read a few but lots here that I haven't. I actually have not read Wolf In White Van. I only just finished Universal Harvester a week or so ago, and Darnielle wasn't really on my radar before that (as a novelist anyway.) Also I love A Good Man Is Hard To Find, I think I might need to reread it and dig into more O'Conner. How's Wise Blood?

As a side note for anyone unfamiliar with it, Blackwater was not at all what I expected, but really hit home for me. An excellent read, though also more Southern Gothic than out-and-out horror.

I haven't read Wise Blood yet. I've heard that it's excellent, though. With O'Conner, I'd get her Complete Short Stories collection. It's organized by the original collections the stories were released in. You may also like The Ballad of the Sad Cafe & Other Stories by Carson McCullers. Again, dark southern gothic literature with heavy themes and a sinister tone throughout, though never explicitly horror.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I'd second Slade House but also suggest you should read The Bone Clocks first.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I realized the other day I've never read a really well-written biography (or autobiography) of anyone. I know I've read a few biographies that were poorly written and mostly just a collection of dates, back in school. What are some really fantastic biographies? I'm actually not picky about the subject, though I'm mostly interested in figures from the last century or so. I know that's a really broad question, but I'm open to reading anything, and figure there's probably a good biography or two of people I wouldn't necessarily seek out from my own knowledge of history, which is... well, spotty and American.

- Robert Graves: Good-Bye to All That
- Vera Brittain: Testament of Youth

Pete Maravich has always fascinated me, so two on him:
- Pete Maravich: Heir to a Dream
- Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich (Mark Kriegel)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

Weird, I've never heard of The Hike, but I've read the other three (and should have mentioned them, along with Hill House they also top my list of favorites). I'll check it out, thanks!

I will indeed give it a go, I've read a ton of her fiction so it'd be interesting to hear about her life.

The Southern Reach Trilogy is not in any way like Hill House and is also not literary. Head full of Ghosts is good, though.

Franchescanado's list is excellent. I'd also recommend:

- anything by Robert Aickman
- William Gay's Little Sister Death for Southern Gothic with outright horror elements
- Andrew Michael Hurley's The Loney
- iris Murdoch's The Unicorn, maybe

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Southern Reach Trilogy is not in any way like Hill House and is also not literary. Head full of Ghosts is good, though.

Franchescanado's list is excellent. I'd also recommend:

- anything by Robert Aickman
- William Gay's Little Sister Death for Southern Gothic with outright horror elements
- Andrew Michael Hurley's The Loney
- iris Murdoch's The Unicorn, maybe

It isn't, though it strikes some of the same "subtle, creeping unease" notes that I enjoy in books.

Thanks for these recs! I read my first Aickman collection late last year and it was fantastic.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm sorry i just really hate jeff vandermeer. he is my enemy

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

i'm sorry i just really hate jeff vandermeer. he is my enemy

I won't hold it against you, I loved Southern Reach but it's certainly the sort of thing I could see people hating with a passion.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I loved The Power Broker. It's a biography of Robert Moses, but also goes over New York's history a bit.

Potemkin: Catherine the Great's Imperial Partner is similar in that it's a biography of Potemkin, but also gives a lot of background info on Russia. It also goes into Catherine's and Potemkin's relationship, which I really enjoyed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

kalthir posted:

I loved The Power Broker. It's a biography of Robert Moses, but also goes over New York's history a bit.

The Power Broker is very good. Some other biographies I've enjoyed have been P. T. Barnum: The Legend and the Man by A. H. Saxon and Ricky Jay's Matthias Buchinger: The Greatest German Living. (Buchinger was born in the 17th century with no legs or hands, and only grew 29" tall -- but he still managed to become a famous magician, artist, and performer, not to mention having four wives and fourteen kids. The book is a mix of a straight biography and Jay's own adventures in researching and collecting Buchinger's art.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 22, 2018

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons. I'm looking for educational works on the fundamentals of journalism. I'm specifically after anything focusing on interview technique and research methodologies. I think I'm a pretty good researcher already, but a buddy and I are working on a podcast that will require a lot of people finding and interviewing, so any foundational texts that might help me self teach would be real helpful. Bonus points for both educational and entertaining, but I'm not real picky. Thanks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

You may also like The Ballad of the Sad Cafe & Other Stories by Carson McCullers. Again, dark southern gothic literature with heavy themes and a sinister tone throughout, though never explicitly horror.

Seconding this. Franchescanado was my Santa this year and gave me a copy and I LOVED it.

(thanks again!)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

I realized the other day I've never read a really well-written biography (or autobiography) of anyone. I know I've read a few biographies that were poorly written and mostly just a collection of dates, back in school. What are some really fantastic biographies?

I was going to recommend Albert Manfred's biography of Robespierre but couldn't find an English edition.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a habit of browsing the threads and writing down names of books that sound interesting or that people recommend but I'm realising I now have a gigantic list of stuff and I got no idea where to start, so I'd appreciate a second opinion on the following:

The Black sun's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover
The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters
Shadow Police by Paul Cornell
Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin
The Khaavren Romances Series by Steven Brust
The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson

That should keep me busy for a while I guess. Thanks in advance.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Shadow Police 1, Locke Lamora 1, Demon Cycle then Last Policeman.

Demon Cycle is consistent enough (if pulpy) all the way through. the second parts of SP and Locke Lamora were a bit of a letdown (but still entertaining enough). I read Last Policeman in a bundle of post-apoc stuff and it was the best written of the lot, but was a little maudlin after that many worlds ending.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a habit of browsing the threads and writing down names of books that sound interesting or that people recommend but I'm realising I now have a gigantic list of stuff and I got no idea where to start, so I'd appreciate a second opinion on the following:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Locke Lamora were a bit of a letdown (but still entertaining enough).

I found Locke Lamora to be captivating and exhilarating the whole way through. Good luck on your reading. I have literal thousands of book recs collected and I'm only mostly sure how to deal with them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Solitair posted:

I found Locke Lamora to be captivating and exhilarating the whole way through. Good luck on your reading. I have literal thousands of book recs collected and I'm only mostly sure how to deal with them.

Oh no, Locke Lamora was fine. The boat one and the third (casino heist?) one were just less good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I've read this, and it's bad.

I've read the first book all the way through, and it's bad.

I've read other books by the author, and he's really bad

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Demon cycle: really bad. Also sexist as gently caress IIRC.
Khaavren and Locke Lamora series are enjoyble pulp fantasy.