Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Our group is approaching our first retirement, but it will open an envelope and not a character box, so that kinda stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I also have an envelope goal right now. The problem is that because of where I am in the story I don't have any scenarios that let me fulfill that condition for quite a while. So I guess my question is, without getting into too many spoilers, is whatever is in this envelope worth going out of my way to open it?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Wait, some of the personal goal cards open envelopes instead of new characters? Is this an alternate way to opening envelopes besides the conditions set in the rule book?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ross Perowned posted:

Wait, some of the personal goal cards open envelopes instead of new characters? Is this an alternate way to opening envelopes besides the conditions set in the rule book?

No, they are different envelopes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ross Perowned posted:

I thought it says something in the retiring character part of the rulebook that you will always unlock a new character box when you retired a character unless that character was already unlocked then you pick a random scenario or something. I haven't looked at all the personal quest cards though.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Kiranamos posted:

No, they are different envelopes.

oh wait, really? I was only familiar with A, B, X, and the one hidden under the tray .

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Ross Perowned posted:

oh wait, really? I was only familiar with A, B, X, and the one hidden under the tray .

Two of them have conditions, the other one has a personal goal that opens it. Also I'm wondering if I should go back and spoiler that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm wondering if opening those personal quest related envelopes may lead to side quests that unlock new classes or something like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of envelopes, Isaac has a comment about B

Isaac Childres posted:

Because the number of players can fluctuate from game to game, certain elements of the campaign couldn't be balanced for all player counts. This includes envelope B unfortunately, as well as a couple of the personal quests. If you are playing exclusively with 2 players, I would say that it is okay to house-rule it so that progress is doubled for envelope B. This just can't be an official rule because it is too easy to game the system or run into confusing situations if you fluctuate the player count.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlocked Cthulhu and played two scenarios with it.

First time around I tried to go the Poison route and it just didn't work out, partially because I didn't realize most of their big movement cards are also their bread and butter nukes, partially because the templates never really lined up for me to do a whole lot, partially because those moves are just kind of weaker than the Curse ones.

Second time I pretty much went full Curse and that felt much better. Not very impressive in terms of AOE - it mostly seems to be a bunch of Target 2 or reasonably strong single hits - but the damage is good and it felt much more effective with my party. I don't really get why the class guides have a bunch of crying over its nerfs, I was still reasonably able to kill things with only a little in the way of opportunistic sniping.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

Also I'm wondering if I should go back and spoiler that.

I think it's okay. The conditions for A and B are listed in the manual, and personal quests aren't hidden information and aren't in a sealed packet; you could find them out before you've even played a card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just did the Moon solo quest. Incredibly easy - invisibility is completely absurd when it means "the monsters do nothing" instead of just "they focus someone else". And with Night being generated for you a lot of the time... I literally only took two attacks, and one of them was on the final turn of the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really enjoy randomly generated scenarios.

So far, this game has been played with just myself (as brute) and my wife (as spellweaver). We hope to have some of our friends over soon to play a larger group game but timing hasn't lined up for that yet so we've just been playing duos up to this point. We probably should have been playing at level 0 difficulty for some of the scenarios because this is the first time ever playing a game like this for my wife so she is still getting a grasp on the rules.

Tonight was our 6th game. Up to now, we did scenario 1 (failure), scenario 1 again (success), scenario 2 (failure), scenario 66 (failure), scenario 66 (failure), randomly generated scenario (success).

Scenario 66 presents extra difficulty when playing with only two players because due to the nature of the pressure plates, if one character is exhausted, the scenario is essentially over..

Our first scenario 1 failure was due to us just learning the rules. The first scenario 2 failure was due to us getting destroyed by the enemies just getting amazing draws repeatedly.

Tonight we decided to take it easy and just do a randomly scenario scenario and I think that this was the most fun we have had with the game yet. Due to it just being a completely no stakes scenario dropped any of the stress we have. Also, these feel a LOT better balanced. I feel like these scenarios are a far better introduction to the game than scenarios 1 & 2. For any games in the future when we are introducing new players to the game, I definitely think we will use the random scenarios. Also, since we actually were able to beat it, the experience reward was nice (we're both finally almost level 2). Also, we lucked out with our draw and got a poo poo ton of money (one chest with 10 gold, one chest with 5 gold).

Overall, the pacing just felt a lot loving better than the scenarios we played so far and playing at the base difficulty of 1 made for a fun experience rather than a stressful one. A++ would play again.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I almost wish I had space to do a full 3d print/resin cast version of the game as some have done. It just has so much depth and replayability that having such a display piece of it would be worth it.

Our campaign had our first loss yesterday, entirely due to a road event starting us with 4 discard + 4 damage on a scenario with a hard first room and a first turn scenario effect. Cleared it easily (and retired a character to unlock sun) on the second try, but drat if that road event didn't just set us up to fail.

Does anyone know if there are plans to sell more mini packs or was that kickstarter only? I am going to try to get the minis scanned and try to scale them up a little bit for 3d printing otherwise.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Did anyone play the original kickstarter mini-campaign? I was wondering if it'd be another way to introduce players to the game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Had our first retirement last night. My Brute packed it in and I unlocked the Sun. My wife, playing the Spellweaver, opted to set her aside for a bit because she decided that after all the Brute and the Weaver had been through they were bros and she'd want to keep hanging out with her buddy :3:

So now we're rocking Cragheart and Sun and it feels like a very powerful pair. She's loving the larger hand size of the Cragheart and the Sun seems to have some cool tricks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm super excited to see what Sun is; we're well on our way to getting it open on reputation.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My group of three just popped four Prosperity ticks in a single session, and are two off Prosperity 4. That felt cool. (Two retires, one City event, and we (envelope unlock) hit the church religiously.)

I think we've been gaining it pretty hard - we've had 16 sessions, I think, maybe 18 if you account for false starts and rules bumps, which probably gave us a tick or two extra from event cards.

We just about managed scenario 81 last night. Real cool to have a mission where you absolutely cannot use any element except light or dark. Good job we didn't bring the cragheart.. Going straight from a string of three not-very-fun side missions to another one has soured me on that one guest designer.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 25, 2018

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My friend has a retirement goal that is simply "Kill 3 of X, kill 3 of Y, and kill 3 of Z". We've interpreted that as meaning that he himself has to land the killing blow on all 9 creatures, but should we be counting it if anyone in our group kills those things as long as he's present?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Big McHuge posted:

My friend has a retirement goal that is simply "Kill 3 of X, kill 3 of Y, and kill 3 of Z". We've interpreted that as meaning that he himself has to land the killing blow on all 9 creatures, but should we be counting it if anyone in our group kills those things as long as he's present?

He must directly cause the death of the creature. His summons count. Forcing a creature onto a trap counts. A creature stepping on a trap he created doesn't. Being mind controlled into killing a creature counts. Mind controlling someone into killing a creature doesn't. A creature dying of a Wound doesn't count for anyone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Our group ran Scenario 1 for the second time last night and we did much better. We only had 1 player exhausted and it was because he tried way too hard for his battle goal, but nobody blamed him for it and of course there's no penalty for exhaustion anyway so it's all good.

It was still down to the wire though. Our group is a Mindthief (me), Tinkerer (my wife), and 2 friends playing the Scoundrel and the Spellweaver. Even though the Spellweaver maxed out the value of his card that gets all lost cards back, he was still almost exhausted when we killed the final enemy. My wife was down to 1hp as well and I was only a couple turns from exhaustion and I had taken some damage myself. We played really well overall though compared to our first outing and we learned a lot. We also had some really memorable moments like when I mind controlled an elite to attack the mook next to him and he critted for the kill. :laugh:

I was really surprised at how much XP the Mindthief generates. I had 14 XP at the end and I was really conservative on my loss cards until the last room. That must make up for the fact that I didn't end up with much loot. I'm fine with that.

For me personally the best part was completing my battle goal which was getting 2 check marks for not using any of my items. Honestly it wasn't that big of a deal because I went with the recommended starting items from the scenario book and didn't really need either of them. I actually feel like the poison dagger is a bad recommendation because the X augment card that gives all your melee attacks muddle and poison is strictly better in every way. And since the Mindthief role is primarily that of a debuffer I feel like that was a poor recommendation in the book. I used that X augment on my first turn and never replaced it. I'm seriously considering selling the dagger back to the item shop and putting the money towards another better item or donating it to the Sanctuary for a couple blessings if we fail scenario 2 the first time.

So for Scenario 2, any non-spoilery tips for our party comp? We briefly discussed it and the only thing that makes any sense to us is literally just a big stupid bum rush on the boss while ignoring the living corpses as much as possible. Pull the archers into the traps in the starting room, kill them as fast as possible, then kick down the door and go in as hard as we can. It sucks that he's immune to stun and immobilize so I altered my starting hand based on that and I added in the X card that makes an adjacent ally perform a 6 damage attack. I'm also going to make sure to poison him ASAP and muddle whenever I can. We have intentionally avoided looking at the boss deck so we don't know what he does other than Boss Special 1 and 2.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2018

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Does Retaliate count for kill count?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So far the bosses we faced felt kinda weak, for example the last one we faced was the Elder Drake, which had a total of 30 HP. His damage output wasn't all that, and we just burned him down really quickly before he could get too many zephyrs up..

The only scenario which lately really pushed us to play efficiently was one with Harrower Infester (also sunburst and saw light spoilers): the fact that the elites have so much life and that they retaliate 3 meant that it was really hardgoing for us since both the sawbones and sunkeeper have very limited range capabilities. Thankfully in the scenario we played, by the end I could just burn out my card that allows me to kill an elite outright.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Your plan is pretty much spot on. The Living Corpses are typical zombies, slow and not terribly difficult to avoid. Have fun.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

OmegaGoo posted:

Does Retaliate count for kill count?
I assume so, I was just listing off all the scenarios the FAQ addresses.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Your plan is pretty much spot on. The Living Corpses are typical zombies, slow and not terribly difficult to avoid. Have fun.
Also, they generally just kill themselves thanks to self damage

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

From the tiny bit I've seen of the Mindthief, I think he actually gets more value out of the +2 attack augment than the double debuff, but I could easily be wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

From the tiny bit I've seen of the Mindthief, I think he actually gets more value out of the +2 attack augment than the double debuff, but I could easily be wrong.

Yeah that's the standard approach.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Yeah The Mind's Weakness augment gives Attack 2 to all melee attacks and is definitely the best. I didn't take the dagger, I took the invisibility cloak.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Invis Cloak is so good with Mindthief. Run up, shank something for a billion, go invis and then go super slow the next turn to milk an extra turn out of being an obstacle.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Invis cloak/stamina pot/boots of striding combo'd with his invis ability + the jump movement ability is super good on the mindthief and have enabled me to do some scenario saving poo poo with him.

Also yes, except maybe in some super niche situation (I haven't had one yet), there's no reason to play any augment other than the +2 to melee.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 26, 2018

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I keep seeing people say that but I didn't feel like there were many situations in the first four levels worth of my mindthief when I could afford to run the +2 damage mod. Once I got my level 5 card, well, that was a whole new ballgame...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You couldn't find an opportunity to give yourself a flat +2 to all of your attacks for the entire scenario?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure how mindthief is tenable while all your attacks do 1 and 2 damage. You need mind's weakness, surely? What's the alternative, withering claw? The healing one?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Did anyone play the original kickstarter mini-campaign? I was wondering if it'd be another way to introduce players to the game.

Yeah, my brother and I played it. It's not a terrible crash course and we're thinking of using it to demo the game to some of our other friends, but it doesn't pull any punches, if that's what you're wondering. The biggest problem is if they don't have tabletop simulator. I guess you could set it up with the real game, but you probably don't want to waste a character sheet if someone isn't sure they're going to play.

If I recall right the objective of the first mission is (spoiler just in case) kill a certain number of enemies which you'd think would be easy, but is made much more difficult because it's a free for all and they're all trying to kill each other, so you can't really focus enemies down or you'll miss getting those last hits and lose anyway. The other missions are similarly well done and a showcase of some interesting mechanics, but it doesn't pull any punches, so you'd accomplish the same with random scenarios.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got a slight situation here. I retired someone and now I've got a two-mini in need of a partner, and I'm not sure who to pick. Classes I haven't used yet include Saw, Triforce, Three Spears, Tikerer, and Scoundrel. Triforce is supposed to be interesting, but it looks annoyingly complicated, which I figure would be an issue because my other guy gives me plenty to think about already. Suggestions?

e: I have to do Scoundrel sooner or later, so I guess I'll go with that.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 26, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd go for saw but I'm incredibly biased, but I've been having so much fun with the class: I've now tooled him up with a poison dagger and the jagged sword, I can basically put statuses on enemies at will now. Currently I run him with like 3 healing cards and the rest are just damage, and thanks to his perks he's got pretty reliable damage, especially with the advantage goggles

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd say Triforce doesn't go that well with Two Minis, Triforce needs elements badly, and 2M isn't gonna provide many. Of those, the most likely to find interesting combos is probably Three Spears, I'd say.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Ragnar34 posted:

Got a slight situation here. I retired someone and now I've got a two-mini in need of a partner, and I'm not sure who to pick. Classes I haven't used yet include Saw, Triforce, Three Spears, Tikerer, and Scoundrel. Triforce is supposed to be interesting, but it looks annoyingly complicated, which I figure would be an issue because my other guy gives me plenty to think about already. Suggestions?

e: I have to do Scoundrel sooner or later, so I guess I'll go with that.

I played the two-mini class to retirement. Your bear is a homing missile which moves on its own and does really good consistent damage. It had some issues staying alive in the 4 player games that I played since you can only use a command card to heal the bear and you don't really have a lot of options mitigating damage. Armor and weapons don't work on the bear either. It's good to have a character that stays close to the bear and is able to heal it. Saw and Three Spears would be ideal for that.
As a general tip, in case you haven't done so already, I would suggest you to read the official FAQ since there's some rules to the bear what it can and what it can't do: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1897763/official-faq-game-revs-1-and-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm not sure how mindthief is tenable while all your attacks do 1 and 2 damage. You need mind's weakness, surely? What's the alternative, withering claw? The healing one?

I used the healing one when I started a scenario on roughly 50% health thanks to a road event, but that's about it.

Might change at higher levels though.