Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

If You Think About It, The Divine Comedy Is The World's First Thinkpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

J_RBG posted:

If You Think About It, The Divine Comedy Is The World's First Fan fic

fixed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nah first fan fic is the Aeneid

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

nah first fan fic is the Aeneid

Nah that's the first studio reboot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also never understood why Austens novels are considered feminist since they explicitly deal with wealthy landed gentry finding husbands.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not because it advocates or promotes gender equality, but because it explores the nature of gender, feminity, their relation to society and politics, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's not because it advocates or promotes gender equality, but because it explores the nature of gender, feminity, their relation to society and politics, etc.

Well sure I get it as a historical antecedent but I don't get why people read it as feminist now. Like, there lacks any sort of transgression or analysis in both the plotting and writing. The stories typically end happily with the heroines returned to the status quo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Who's the first literary feminist? Anything before Euripides?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well sure I get it as a historical antecedent but I don't get why people read it as feminist now. Like, there lacks any sort of transgression or analysis in both the plotting and writing. The stories typically end happily with the heroines returned to the status quo.

A few arguments:

1) clear consistent strong female voices and characterization which is something that is relatively rare even today

2) 1st wave feminism is still feminism;

3) Austen's heroines are transgressive within the context of their society -- rebellious, seeking place "above their station," being intelligent and getting rewarded for it, etc. -- which upholds transgressiveness as an ideal generally even in other contexts

4) Austen also spends a lot of time deconstructing the ideals of the patriarchal system her heroines are caught in; shows unhappy marriages, women smarter than their husbands, illustrates toxic implications of gender roles, etc.

see e g https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A few arguments:

1) clear consistent strong female voices and characterization which is something that is relatively rare even today

3) Austen's heroines are transgressive within the context of their society -- rebellious, seeking place "above their station," being intelligent and getting rewarded for it, etc. -- which upholds transgressiveness as an ideal generally even in other contexts

4) Austen also spends a lot of time deconstructing the ideals of the patriarchal system her heroines are caught in; shows unhappy marriages, women smarter than their husbands, illustrates toxic implications of gender roles, etc.

I just wanted you to know I've been reading Pride & Prejudice and have been referring to that thread for extra reading. I know it's a few years past, but you put in a lot of good work in that thread, which I really appreciate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

I just wanted you to know I've been reading Pride & Prejudice and have been referring to that thread for extra reading. I know it's a few years past, but you put in a lot of good work in that thread, which I really appreciate.

Not finishing it out was one of my biggest regrets on this forum >_< I think there's enough there to get people over the hurdle into reading the book though. Thanks!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A few arguments:

Yeah that's fair. I guess my problem is that it's so total in it's ignorance of all other privilege I struggle to give it credit for where it's actually biting.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
writer born in 18th century not intersectional enough for me

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Officer Sandvich posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah that's fair. I guess my problem is that it's so total in it's ignorance of all other privilege I struggle to give it credit for where it's actually biting.

I think the counterpoint there is she's setting up a model for every other later satire of privilege. Sure she's writing within a limited perspective but

quote:

You could not shock her more than she shocks me;
Besides her Joyce seems innocent as grass.
It makes me uncomfortable to see
An English spinster of the middle class
Describe the amorous effects of `brass',
Reveal so frankly and with such sobriety
The economic basis of society.

She's breaking it down to the basics that matter, seventy years before Marx. It's always the most relatively privileged among the disadvantaged who lead the revolutions.

It's not just coincidence that Piketty cites Austen so often in his book. There's a reason.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 26, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

Doesn't matter when the author was born, 0nly the reader

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

gorbonic posted:

And as far as literary genre goes, Jane Austen was recently called a dystopian writer in an author interview with Chandler Klang Smith and it makes a certain sense: "I think that Austen’s novels are among the most dystopian I’ve ever read, in terms of showing characters (especially women) chewed up by a human-made system that slots them into narrow roles."

Why even use the term dystopia? Depicting systems of class and gender doesn't make your novel dystopic.

Ras Het posted:

I'm sure someone would term Sapho feminist.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hmmm

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 25, 2022

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

stop this mel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will not stop speaking truth to power

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 25, 2022

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Some real poo poo right here but this is exactly why I loathe activists and their 'movements' these days. All these little white kids don't feel financially secure for the first time and now they're fighting for blacks but still hate poor whites, and then call for revolution over a meme. Lmao

Dunno what the gently caress you are talking about. I mean even in an American context this is dumb.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All American things are dumb.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

"Besides her Joyce seems as innocent as grass"

Grass isn't innocent at all, it likes to get shat on, much like Joyce.

now they're fighting for blacks but still hate poor whites, and then call for revolution over a meme. Lmao

thank you for posting once again in this, the literature thread

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Some real poo poo right here but this is exactly why I loathe activists and their 'movements' these days. All these little white kids don't feel financially secure for the first time and now they're fighting for blacks but still hate poor whites, and then call for revolution over a meme. Lmao

its definitely the wealthy white kids who are in charge of *gestures hand vaguely* activism

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Actually I think you will find it is not a cabal, but the ideology itself which is in control.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i appreciate pleasecallmechrist's bad posts, he's like derp before the thread tamed him

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Northanger Abbey is p. good and funny. I think that’s the only Austen novel I’ve read.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

WatermelonGun posted:

Northanger Abbey is p. good and funny. I think that’s the only Austen novel I’ve read.

Fix that. Northanger Abbey is awfully good, but it was my least favorite out of all of Austen's novels. (note: I haven't read Emma.)

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 27, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ras Het posted:

Serious post, but its been said that "everything is in the prologue to The Second Sex" by Simone de Beauvoir so yeah not the "first" but perhaps one of the first literary feminists in a modern sense.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Related, I am reading belle hook's Talking Back right now and if you are at all interested in how race, class, and sex (book is dated to the 80s so perhaps predates the term "intersectionality") interact in a person's education and personal growth its a hard one to beat.

Have never read any Jane Austin but if we have a group read I'd be keen I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Passion According to G.H. is the best piece of feminist writing.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

At least your posts are one movement the activists have yet to get their hands on

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Fix that. Northanger Abbey is awfully good, but it was my least favorite out of all of Austen's novels. (note: I haven't read Emma.)

Emma is cool, unlike Emma.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has anyone ever collected Widow Wadman's drawn onto Tristram Shandy's blank page?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has anyone ever collected Widow Wadman's drawn onto Tristram Shandy's blank page?

When I lived in York I went to an exhibition of this in Leeds: https://blankpage147.wordpress.com/

Shandy Hall is a short drive away and Laurence Sterne worked at York Minster. So anyway it's been done though obviously it should be done more often

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

J_RBG posted:

When I lived in York I went to an exhibition of this in Leeds: https://blankpage147.wordpress.com/

holy poo poo this owns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

NA becomes exponentially funnier the more other gothic fiction you've read, I think.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

I might do that next. I’m almost done with Kadare’s The Siege and I need something with more estates and long walks and less sectarian violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

quit reading this thread and read some real literature