Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Evil Canadian posted:

Jiren does live in a world made of cardboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

I always loving loved that superman speech

it'd have been a lot more badass if he didn't get his poo poo wrecked 5 seconds after that speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

it'd have been a lot more badass if he didn't get his poo poo wrecked 5 seconds after that speech

I always thought it was hilarious that his response to clearly seeing he can’t take on that kind of unrestrained force is to immediately ‘cheat’ with a neuron frying blast to display the supremacy of sadism. Basically used one of them vehicle mounted microwave pain guns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how many actual irl minutes has the top gone on for

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

To be fair, Darkseid pretty much cheated. In a straight fight, he probably would've lost.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man they love reusing that ka ka song
Not complaining though

Edit: they better make 17 the coolest strongest fighter in future Dragonball games

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

Man they love reusing that ka ka song
Not complaining though

Edit: they better make 17 the coolest strongest fighter in future Dragonball games

He's basically indirectly confirmed as a DLC character for Fighterz so. There's a chance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

mycot posted:

He's basically indirectly confirmed as a DLC character for Fighterz so. There's a chance.

I feel like arcsys dropped the ball with some characters here
Teen Gohan, oh :effort:
Two Gokus and two Vegetas with a third of each coming up :effort:
The person everyone wants to play as, Krillin :effort: :effort:
Hope they dropped everything and started working on Kale and Caulifla and Kefla and 17 and the good top characters the second they were revealed

I like how you can tell when they pump up the budget for fights when characters have way more shading and lines on their design all of a sudden

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

I feel like arcsys dropped the ball with some characters here
Teen Gohan, oh :effort:
Two Gokus and two Vegetas with a third of each coming up :effort:
The person everyone wants to play as, Krillin :effort: :effort:
Hope they dropped everything and started working on Kale and Caulifla and Kefla and 17 and the good top characters the second they were revealed

I like how you can tell when they pump up the budget for fights when characters have way more shading and lines on their design all of a sudden

Krillin rules what the gently caress.

Yamcha or Bardock are the sins here, even if some of the Yamcha meme stuff is funny.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I do want to play as KULILIN tho

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I am legit angry at what a waste of time Krillin was in the top
I understand the manga will do things differently than the cartoon while still following the same beats, hopefully Krillin isn't such an incompetent gently caress up there and lasts a bit longer than beats two jobbers thanks to his much cooler wife and then gets taken out with the move children learn on their first week of karate lessons at the local Y to avoid

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Yamcha or Bardock are the sins here, even if some of the Yamcha meme stuff is funny.

Yamcha is at least fun to play with all his Wolf-Fang Mixups.

The real sin is Broly over Kale and Android 17 supposedly getting a slot all to himself despite already being a part of 18's movelist and also I'm not sure what the gently caress he's even supposed to do that he couldn't do as an alternate skin for 18.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DBFZ is a cool-rear end game and all but that DLC roster is Arcsys cutting corners like a motherfucker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yamcha is at least fun to play with all his Wolf-Fang Mixups.

The real sin is Broly over Kale and Android 17 supposedly getting a slot all to himself despite already being a part of 18's movelist and also I'm not sure what the gently caress he's even supposed to do that he couldn't do as an alternate skin for 18.

I assume, based off his ToP showing, that he'll have a lot more barrier-based stuff.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Tournament of Power may have a tragic amount of flaws, but it was all worth it to see 17 rise up in relevance and badassery like he did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
JUSTICE FLASH JUSTICE CRUSH JUSTICE DAB JUSTICE rear end EATING

*starts losing slightly*

loving JUSTICE WHAT DID YOU EVER DO FOR ME JUSTICE CAN EAT MY WHOLE rear end

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dias posted:

DBFZ is a cool-rear end game and all but that DLC roster is Arcsys cutting corners like a motherfucker.

Do people here in this thread not understand that Broly and Bardock are like, incredibly popular

is this a minecraft thing

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
But Broly is bad and they should replace him for no monetary reason, with a character who only acts like him very briefly.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

People need to realize that they may like Kale, but Broly has been around for twenty-five years and is probably going to remain more popular than she'll ever be despite such atrocities as Bio-Broly.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

For some reason some people think this very expensive and in depth game isn't going to use the most obvious and popular of the characters of the huge 30 year roster, saving the new and more outre ones for future DLC after initial cash and gameplay reports sling in, with the first few DLC hits meant to keep everyone raving mad and wanting as much as prerelease (thus Broly + Bardock)

Like come the gently caress on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Do people here in this thread not understand that Broly and Bardock are like, incredibly popular

I understand that Broly is popular. I just also understand that he's fuckin' lame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I understand that Broly is popular. I just also understand that he's fuckin' lame.

hes badass

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Countblanc posted:

hes badass

His power is maximum.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

is this a minecraft thing

dude

please read

the leaked roster (which has a pretty big chance of being legit by now) has a goku, another goku, another vegeta and another 18

sure those characters are popular but they just so happen to reuse quite a bit of assets

edit: oh and there's also vegito, I guess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Geetz has some massive balls being able to finally take down Toppo after a clutch effect from him, Frieza and 18
Almost feels like the first Vegeta battle way back when, if only the participants were as beat up and hosed up as the original group was at the end of it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not sure entirely but the Namekians from U6 seem like real heroes. Their people on learning of their Universe's risk willingly sacrificed themselves to fuse into those two. That's pretty a high price, and those two did well.

I want Vegito, Mr. Satan, Yajirobe, pervert Roshi, Broly, Bulma, Kefla, in the next update.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I am rewatching the original DB and man, I had forgotten that Roshi had a loving baby Gamera. Is anything that man doesn't have? :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am rewatching the original DB and man, I had forgotten that Roshi had a loving baby Gamera. Is anything that man doesn't have? :allears:

Respect for women, a clear understanding of what “no” means

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gatts posted:

Not sure entirely but the Namekians from U6 seem like real heroes. Their people on learning of their Universe's risk willingly sacrificed themselves to fuse into those two. That's pretty a high price, and those two did well.

As per usual, Universe 6 is the Good Universe and the underdog universe (hell, they're called the Universe of Challengers in side material) that is by far the easiest to root for.

Like, this is obvious with the Saiyans since Caulifla and Kale are Good and Goku is Not (Vegeta is, of course, great, but Vegeta would totally root for his son Cabba anyways) and with the team's respective assassins (Hit vs Tenshinhan is not even a challenge), and to an extent with Frost and Freeza only the latter is still better, but even a character like Piccolo, Best Dad and moral compass of the team as he is, feels like the bad guy fighting against the U6 Namekian duo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zore posted:

What the gently caress.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hair on his head.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Broly is a lame character, but he'll probably be fun from a gameplay perspective.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

Broly is a lame character, but he'll probably be fun from a gameplay perspective.

I feel the same. I dislike Broly intensely but his fighting style is very unique for the franchise, focusing entirely on single, powerful blows instead of the usual machine gun strikes of the rest of the cast. He'll make for a good slow-but-strong character, a place that isn't really filled by anyone since 16 is Zangief and Nappa is not what you'd expect him to be.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

esperterra posted:

Yeah, but if we're going to bitch about shounen series not having enough good female characters/etc in them (which I honestly don't think Dragonball has ever been that bad for. Bulma is the smartest character in the series and has been one of the leads from the beginning. Sure she was squandered post Namek/Androids in the anime, but she's as much the face of the series as Goku for a lot of people imo) then should we not also be complaining that the male characters in shoujo are flat af and just there for eye candy 90% of the time?

Seems silly to me people always clamour for one to change and not the other. Especially when it comes to stuff like shounen/shoujo where the material is more or less tailor made for one gender or the other. In media not so explicitely marketed toward either boys or girls I can see the complaints holding more water, personally.

fwiw when I was a little girl I had zero problem looking up to the male characters in shows I watched. In my experience, kids usually don't give two fucks about gender so long as they get a cool role model. I still don't care. All I care about is if the characters are cool and good. And for a shounen series imo Dragonball has some pretty awesome female characters in it, considering the style of punchman it is.

Since we're on the topic, though, I'm curious-- how many of the people who complain about this stuff in this thread are actually chicks? I know there's laydees in here who were hype af for Kale and Cauli but the majority of people I see complaining about this kind of stuff in other shows/etc are usually men, which I find kind of hilarious. Most chicks I know aren't bothered by this.

idk I just think it's silly to complain about it after the show has gone out of its way to showcase more female characters than they used to, and have those female characters be more active in fighting/etc. If the show comes back from hiatus (if it comes back at all) and nothing comes of the new batch of ladies we have, maybe then the complaining won't seem so silly to me.

e: oh and to clarify I'm not trying to make some kind of AH-HA! point or anything by asking how many people complaining about this are actually girls or not, I'm genuinely just curious b/c in my experience it sways in the opposite direction one would expect

I think this is a kind of tedious attitude to take, for one the existence of shoujo or similar things with their own problems is wholly separate issue and basically turns the whole argument into an exercise in whataboutism, which never really goes anywhere. Truthfully, I can't say I really know anything about them since I don't watch shoujo or really any other Anime so Dragonball is my sole point of reference, I'm not in a position to make any comments on anything else but I know DB well enough that I feel like I can point this stuff out when it annoys me.

I'll take you're word for it that those series have similar issues from the other side of the aisle and that Dragonball might be a bit better than most Shonen stuff. But then, we also know Japanese (and other) society are pretty drat sexist, generally against women so I don't think they're really equivalent problems.

With regards to the question about the gender of the people who comment on this stuff, well I am a guy, but the thing is I know a lot of girls who are super into Anime to a degree I can barely comprehend, but they don't really have any opinion on Dragonball because they just don't watch it, and they don't watch it because (their words paraphrased) it's not really for them, as in it's built to be enjoyed by boys first and foremost so most of the characters are male and female characters don't play as big a role. Obviously it's different for you but for my friends at least that kind of stuff legitimately does alienate them from the series and when I watch I don't think it really needs to be there for the show to work as well as it does.

Having said all that, Dragonball is certainly better than it used to be, even leaving aside Caulifla and Kale, Bulma, Mai and 18 play larger roles than before and I think it's gender representation is just generally better than it ever has been, shame about Videl though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Videl actually trained which made her better than any of the new alien savant characters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Videl trained exactly as much as the Saiyan trio did, they only got Super Saiyan because they would be completely irrelevant without it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That argument is tedious because it always ends up being people sharing anedoctal evidence. "Well, my girl friends don't care if there's a girl or not", "well my girl friends do", "well I'm a girl and I don't so", so on and so forth. My anedoctal evidence is that girls that were into anime when I was younger tended to like Sakura Card Captors and Sailor Moon better, or Saint Seiya, but it's just that, anedoctal. Plus you have stuff like Gundam with a predominantly male cast being very popular with women so it's not like it's impossible for you to relate to a character of the opposite gender. I played Nina in Tekken 3 because I thought she was badass.

What I will say, however, is that it's cool to have some representation and it does matter to a degree to the people being represented. I always have to laugh at my Brazilian male friends that bitch and moan whenever people bring up race/gender representation in games but also mark out for Blanka and Eddy Gordo because "they are Brazilian" (even though Eddy isn't but). Those same people remember Captain Tsubasa because of Rivaul, who is just Rivaldo.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
One can argue that gender and whatnot don't matter as long as they write good characters, and to a degree that is true. But media doesn't exist in a bubble. Even genre specific ones meant to appeal to little boys. You don't get to cater a show to a specific focus group and then blame the people who you don't cater to for not watching. It's less that girls are incapable of enjoying this stuff, and more a media and society that is constantly saying that it's not for them, it's for the boys.

And it doesn't really matter if it's boys or girls who want to see more girls or whatever. There is literally zero detriment to any form of media or entertainment by adding more diversity and representation does matter and people far more educated and knowledgeable than I have gone to great lengths to establish that multiple times over. And the idea that it's just pandering is kind of flaccid when the mere addition of diversity makes the omission all the more notable. That many people's argument against something is "we've never had one before" is in itself kind of revelatory as to how little anyone ever bothered to consider it.

Not to mention that asking for more female fighting girls does not inherently mean you can't ask for less meathead alien savant guys and more guys who fill other roles. It's not a zero sum game. And that's without going into the fact that men power fantasies are not the same as what women consider eye candy. And what many men consider eye candy is not the same as what many women consider their power fantasy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Put 21 into Super like she was there all along next episode

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kale and Caulifla and 21 are all great

Ribrianne kinda sucks and that ship has sailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda enjoyed Ribrianne's schtick of being the main character of her own little anime during the ToP, but she was very one-note and didn't do much until her last episode (I still think that fight is up there with Kefla and Jiren as one of the best moments in the series tho).

She was kind of a character that people had expectations for because of her prominence in the OP and she ended up just being a joke repeated a hundred times, unfortunately.