Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got some $12 presumably faux leather band for being fancy. It honestly looks fantastic.

But yeah, sportloop otherwise. gently caress those small holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gently caress those small holes.

🙅‍♀️

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Sportloop is the best band. Cash in Apple gift cards. Get all the colors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yep, sportsloop has become my favorite band since I got it.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you on the latest OS? I've had zero issues since updating.

Yes, issue is still here. When the workout app launches the sensor lights go on but I have to go in/out a few times before the “thinking circle” appears and then it looks like the app reloads.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Have you tried unpairing or resetting the watch? I've had zero problems since updating.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How bad are third party silicon sports bands off Amazon? I kinda want some alternate colors to mix things up every now and then, but I wonder how a $10-15 band will differ from Apple's.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pants Donkey posted:

How bad are third party silicon sports bands off Amazon? I kinda want some alternate colors to mix things up every now and then, but I wonder how a $10-15 band will differ from Apple's.

They're fine. Hell, all of my bands except the one that came with the watch are knockoffs (Milanese, link, silicon, and woven nylon).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I bought a few and the quality kinda varies.

2 of them started cracking after about a month but besides that the others were ok.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sportloop is the best band. Cash in Apple gift cards. Get all the colors.

Just lol if you pay $50 for a sport loop.

Amazon knockoffs all day. Get all of the colors.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Did they get the width right yet? I got one early on and they seemed to be using the 38mm width straps for both sizes. Still works fine, but is noticeably thinner for the 42mm ones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine is like... maybe 1mm thinner than my OEM sport loop that came with the watch. It's honestly not a big deal. Now, how repeatable that is across multiple orders and sources, who knows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:jerry: I had $150 in Apple gift cards to burn and didn’t want first gen AirPods. How do the knockoffs compare to OEM?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They don't

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I assume he was talking about sport loops because I don't think anyone would expect knockoff AirPods to be at all good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sport loop is a velcro thing? Is the farbic (or whatever they're made of) soft at least?

Can anyone rec a good sport loop knockoff that they can vouch for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got a knock off velcro one and it’s ok I guess. It feels nice but I’m just not sure how it’s gonna hold up over time.

I mean it was only $7 but still.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The sport loop is a velcro thing? Is the farbic (or whatever they're made of) soft at least?

It’s def a soft fabric. I have always been a big fan of the sport band, but I got the new Apple Watch with the sport loop to have options, and I do have to say it fits really nice. The only complaint I think I have is I think it gets a bit soggy in water and takes time to dry. I don’t think I would wear it for swimming.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Electric Bugaloo posted:

didn’t want first gen AirPods.

:frogout:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't want any AirPods unless they make a drastic design change to use silicone bud tips. If they did that I'd buy them day one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

No way there’s gonna be a 2018 update with wireless charging, water resistance, better sound, etc.

That I prolly also won’t buy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No way there’s gonna be a 2018 update with wireless charging, water resistance, better sound, etc.

That I prolly also won’t buy.

2019 and you better believe that wireless case will be an extra purchase $$

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried pairing my Wahoo Tickr chest strap heart rate monitor with my Watch. I checked it several times during my jog to see if it was working right and each time the Bluetooth said it wasn’t connected. But when I checked my stats after the run it says the Tickr was the device providing the heart rate information. So I guess it works and the Watch isn’t correctly reporting that it’s connected?

I usually pair the strap to my phone but wanted to try without it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It’s softer and less noticeable to wear than the strap that comes with the watch. I really like mine thus far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/28/apple-watch-skiing-snowboarding-tracking

quote:

Apple has announced that skiers and snowboarders can use Apple Watch Series 3 to track their activities starting today. Apple Watch apps snoww, Slopes, Squaw Alpine, Snocru, and Ski Tracks have each been updated to take advantage of custom workout APIs released in watchOS 4.2 that enable tracking of specialized metrics:
Total vertical descent and horizontal distance
Number of runs
Average and maximum speeds
Total time spent
Calories burned

Neat! Anyone use any of these apps and want to tell me which one is the best?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I used SNOCRU last weekend and it was pretty good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Looks like the Watch now (finally) respects voice feedback settings. I have voice feedback turned off so it was super annoying that every time I asked Siri to do something she would reply with what felt like 5 second quip when she shouldn't have. >:( I don't know if it was from a recent update, something pushed down via the server, or something finally fixed itself on my setup but I'm happy.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Violator posted:

Looks like the Watch now (finally) respects voice feedback settings. I have voice feedback turned off so it was super annoying that every time I asked Siri to do something she would reply with what felt like 5 second quip when she shouldn't have. >:( I don't know if it was from a recent update, something pushed down via the server, or something finally fixed itself on my setup but I'm happy.

I noticed this too and thought maybe they finally fixed it! I use Siri for some home automation and nothing is more jarring that turning off a reading lamp and having it shout full blast at you as you're dozing off. I think its server since it started a few days ago and it's been a while since I installed the last update.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Are there any sleep pattern trackers for the watch?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

nervana posted:

Are there any sleep pattern trackers for the watch?

I use AutoSleep, has always felt pretty accurate to me.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Froist posted:

I use AutoSleep, has always felt pretty accurate to me.

I like AutoSleep a lot.

Including when my watch falls off and I get a notification the next day saying "you slept 1h40!"

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Autosleep just makes me Sad at how poorly I sleep.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Autosleep just makes me Sad at how poorly I sleep.

This is me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any good solution to listen to podcasts from the LTE watch while running without a phone?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

smackfu posted:

Is there any good solution to listen to podcasts from the LTE watch while running without a phone?

Here ya go - Outcast. 99 cents.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outcast-for-apple-watch/id1326693810?mt=8

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just got the watch 3, it’s good. Real good.

Any way for me to get hue to turn the lights off and my led back strip on in one tap?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You’d have to set up a scene in homekit to do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why the heck are my reminders lists not showing up on my watch? They’re all in iCloud and a few are shared with my wife.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So if I want to put podcasts on my Watch (Rev. 2, no wireless) and listen to them through my AirPods without my phone, how do I do that? I use Overcast because the Apple Podcasts program is loving terrible. But if that's the only way to do it, I suppose I have no choice.

Is it easy to load music from Apple Music locally onto the watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

beergod posted:

So if I want to put podcasts on my Watch (Rev. 2, no wireless) and listen to them through my AirPods without my phone, how do I do that? I use Overcast because the Apple Podcasts program is loving terrible. But if that's the only way to do it, I suppose I have no choice.

Is it easy to load music from Apple Music locally onto the watch?

Someone up thread recommended Outcast for watch podcasts. There is also Minicast, which is a little more fiddly. Neither Apple Podcast or Overcast support playback from the watch right now (overcast did, but it was dropped)

I think you can only sync playlists with Apple Music.