Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Sounds perfect, thanks guys.

EDIT oh my god what an awful page snipe.

I'll improve it (marginally) by saying that I recently took a closer look at the components and decided I needed a better solution for storing the monster decks, standins, and cards. Onto amazon I go, and fast-forward two days and my wife calls me at work to ask if I'm opening a DVD bootlegging business or something. Hopefully these little envelopes do the job well :).

SnowDog fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
The monster decks are easily stored by just using the GloomyCompanion page found here: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Or maybe the class has more build options than people would like to pretend? Just a thought.

It doesn't. I hope any potential new mindthief players out there reading this aren't tricked into playing badly.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

tekz posted:

It doesn't. I hope any potential new mindthief players out there reading this aren't tricked into playing badly.

Sometimes I will discard it when I rest so that I get an extra card out of it. And sometimes when I do that, I'll play another augment first if I want a heal or something. But there is never any reason to go more than a round or two without it up.

The mindthief is cool but the fact that the other augments are not worth it and the summons are also not worth it results in having very little real choice in building.

Making enemies run into traps never gets old, though, and having lots of stuns and dealing consistent good damage is always valuable to any team.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there ever a scenario where you fight multiple bosses? I made special standees that fit 4 dice instead of 2 for bosses because they generally don't need the debuff rail anyway, just not sure if I need to print more than one.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Jimbozig posted:

The mindthief is cool but the fact that the other augments are not worth it and the summons are also not worth it results in having very little real choice in building.

The summons are tough to use effectively and involve an element of risk, but can definitely be worthwhile on maps where a big fracas develops. If you can manage to squeeze even two attacks out of the rat swarm before it dies, you've done 4 damage, two applications of poison, and soaked at least 6 incoming damage, which is pretty reasonable for a level one loss card; it's nearly a straight upgrade over the tinkerer's decoy summon, and those numbers compare favorably with the top half of brain leech at level3.

If anything, I think it's questionable that rat swarm is marked as a "1" and not an "X" card, I imagine many mindthief players drop their summon in the first room of black barrow, watch it nibble on a bandit then immediately either die or get left behind, and then write it off as a worthless card forevermore.

Nephzinho posted:

Is there ever a scenario where you fight multiple bosses? I made special standees that fit 4 dice instead of 2 for bosses because they generally don't need the debuff rail anyway, just not sure if I need to print more than one.

_____Yes, #8 has a double-boss_____

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 27, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Sometimes I will discard it when I rest so that I get an extra card out of it. And sometimes when I do that, I'll play another augment first if I want a heal or something. But there is never any reason to go more than a round or two without it up.

Making enemies run into traps never gets old, though, and having lots of stuns and dealing consistent good damage is always valuable to any team.

Wait, what? Summons are Bad? Huh?

3/4 of our party members have summons and we love them.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've had okay luck with summons that don't come from a loss action. At this point, though, if I have to blow a card to use the summon, I'm probably never going to do it. That's also the consensus on the internet so far as I can tell.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Did a scenario with musical note (me) and concentric circles (some idiot) yesterday and it was kinda funny. kind of a hosed up combination if you ask me.

I'm not sure whether i want to stick with the music note class or rush retirement to unlock bart simpson's skull (or i guess people call it "angry face"?!)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

My group is on the side of the summons being fairly useless outside of a couple niche circumstances.

At first, though, we thought they owned, because we were treating them like player-controlled characters. Once you start properly making them follow the monster movement rules, they almost never go where you need them to go and usually just end up getting in the way, especially if you're in anything other than a tight hallway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elephant Ambush posted:

With very few exception, yes. Summons have weak and limited hit points, and often weak attacks, and their AI is monster AI so they're basically suicidal.

There are SOME good ones (particularly, the Spellweaver's ranged ones, especially the later one that makes Fire every time it attacks) but mostly they're :mediocre: at best.

The unlock classes that rely on them do have some better options though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Aerox posted:

Once you start properly making them follow the monster movement rules, they almost never go where you need them to go and usually just end up getting in the way, especially if you're in anything other than a tight hallway.

Yeah, I feel like the majority of players have done the same thing. I don't think that summons are nearly as bad as people think, the problem is that even after learning the proper rules, most players continue to try to use summons with the same mindset they had before they learned that they can't control them. Our mindthief has a bad habit of summoning his rat swarm when there's nothing else he can do i.e. if we are moving through a hallway without any mobs in it to get to the next room. That's the most ineffectual use of a slow moving mob you can't control.

You can't play a summon with the intention of trying to direct it to any individual mob and you usually shouldn't use one late into a fight. They are still great for blocking doors, acting as a decoy when you summon one next to a melee monster who hasn't had their turn yet, or just to add to the fray in a big room where your party is outnumbered.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 27, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The mindthief level 1 rat summon is pretty good.

By which I mean "a Move 4 is really good at the early levels, and then you can get some mileage out of dropping the summon in the last room".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Please spoiler stuff like this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

whalestory posted:

Did a scenario with musical note (me) and concentric circles (some idiot) yesterday and it was kinda funny. kind of a hosed up combination if you ask me.

I'm not sure whether i want to stick with the music note class or rush retirement to unlock bart simpson's skull (or i guess people call it "angry face"?!)

Angry gritty helmet is hysterically good, if that helps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Summons are good at soaking a few hits and distracting an enemy for a few turns given the way their initiative works.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

thespaceinvader posted:

With very few exception, yes. Summons have weak and limited hit points, and often weak attacks, and their AI is monster AI so they're basically suicidal.

There are SOME good ones (particularly, the Spellweaver's ranged ones, especially the later one that makes Fire every time it attacks) but mostly they're :mediocre: at best.

Basically ranged ones are good (particularly if you can enhance their range or movement so they get left behind less) but melee ones are almost always trash, particularly at higher level where they just creamed in one turn, probably without attacking

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

The mindthief level 1 rat summon is pretty good.

By which I mean "a Move 4 is really good at the early levels, and then you can get some mileage out of dropping the summon in the last room".

This is exactly what I did in the last room of scenario 1. I intentionally saved the rat swarm so that I could move 4 through the door and drop the swarm right in front of the archers. It wasn't a perfect plan but it helped soak some damage. 1 or more of us may have died if I hadn't.

Apparently our group is wrong about summons because we're still new and learning but we're all still at level 1, we have neither of the 10 hp classes, and we're really happy to have the damage sponges, especially if they can occasionally do some damage and mess with enemy movement. At least for now.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Two mini class: the bear really drives home the problems of summons. Its stats are great, you have limited control over it, it gets extra attacks, and yet I still feel like I'm playing The Last Guardian over here. Go over there, Daisy. No, there, you dumb goddamned animal. Daisy I swear to god.

silvergoose posted:

Angry gritty helmet is hysterically good, if that helps.

I just unlocked this and I'm so pumped to retire someone for it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is exactly what I did in the last room of scenario 1. I intentionally saved the rat swarm so that I could move 4 through the door and drop the swarm right in front of the archers. It wasn't a perfect plan but it helped soak some damage. 1 or more of us may have died if I hadn't.

Apparently our group is wrong about summons because we're still new and learning but we're all still at level 1, we have neither of the 10 hp classes, and we're really happy to have the damage sponges, especially if they can occasionally do some damage and mess with enemy movement. At least for now.

A big issue you'll run into in later scenarios is how often you're expected to just constantly be moving forward, and summons are just usually very bad at this. They tend to fall behind and never really catch up. Ranged summons are better about this but by no means immune.

That all said, my group's tinkerer has been using both of her summons and one of them is Bad and the other is Uh, Fine I Guess, and we've still been doing fine on Normal difficulty. If you aren't pushing the difficulty up and everyone else is playing pretty well it's not really like 1-2 mediocre cards are going to be the reason for failure.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the decoy has a lot of hp for taking hits with two players its quite helpful if you're getting swamped

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I started with the mindtheif's summon and thought it was great, until I found out that it followed the monster ai rules. The thing that really kills it is the fact that it won't move at all if it doesn't have a valid target, so if you are spending a turn or two opening the next door your summon is literally doing nothing and will likely never meaningfully catch up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well I'm considering removing the rat swarm from my starting hand for Scenario 2 but the bottom half is a move 4 and that seems really good especially since the boss teleports around so I might keep that specific card for the speed. There's also the fact that if I summon the rat swarm in the main large room it might be able to help screw with the living corpses and keep them off us while we bum rush the boss. I'm not really concerned about it killing anything but since this scenario seems like it's kind of a speedrun bum rush on the boss it feels like a good thing to do to handle the living corpses.

The summons just seem really good in that scenario for that specific purpose but I guess I'll find out if I'm wrong this Saturday night!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

whalestory posted:

Those circles aren't concentric and you will unlock the Pumas UNAM class. I'm the only person in the world who calls it that, but I'm definitely correct in doing so.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In general, your best cards are going to be ones where at least one half is a good repeatable ability. It almost doesn't matter what the other side is if you're basically always playing the good half.

When putting together your hand, you're also going to want to look at how many "good top halves" and "good bottom halves" you have, to make sure that you don't end up stuck with a bunch of great top halves in hand but you have to use a crappy bottom half of one of them (or vice versa). At low levels, you're going to be playing at least a few cards where one half is pretty bad (or at least, pretty conditional), because the other half is a really good repeatable card that you need to balance out your hand.

For scenario 2 specifically, summons are probably better than normal because of the way the mission is set up. But even when that's not the case, you'll be taking the rat a lot anyway and just playing the bottom half over and over.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

My group had a question about how Add Target works. I'm playing a Cragheart and I usually have Backup Ammunition activated (ranged attacks gain Add Target). I know it simply adds one more target to AoE ranged attacks like Dirt Tornado (as opposed to doublecasting), but for splash damage attacks (Massive Boulder) does the second attack splash?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

Those circles aren't concentric and you will unlock the Pumas UNAM class. I'm the only person in the world who calls it that, but I'm definitely correct in doing so.

It’s the Ubisoft class.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cliff posted:

My group had a question about how Add Target works. I'm playing a Cragheart and I usually have Backup Ammunition activated (ranged attacks gain Add Target). I know it simply adds one more target to AoE ranged attacks like Dirt Tornado (as opposed to doublecasting), but for splash damage attacks (Massive Boulder) does the second attack splash?

Massive Boulder will splash damage twice with Backup Ammo, yes.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Wow #81 is incredibly nasty, my group just got dumpstered by it after cake-walking through #5 and #8.
We reached The Colorless piecemeal and in pretty rough shape from the preceding hallway, and he proceeded to drown us in elite demons every single turn while remaining basically untouchable via heals and invisibility. I'm guessing the trick is mainly just to bum-rush him asap?

It definitely did not help that our scoundrel opened the first door way early for a battle goal and immediately ate 20 damage from stone golems and artillery, losing 3 cards in a single round.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I always know a scenario is going to take a few tries when there's only in one room.

King of Bleh posted:

Wow #81 is incredibly nasty, my group just got dumpstered by it after cake-walking through #5 and #8.
We reached The Colorless piecemeal and in pretty rough shape from the preceding hallway, and he proceeded to drown us in elite demons every single turn while remaining basically untouchable via heals and invisibility. I'm guessing the trick is mainly just to bum-rush him asap?

It definitely did not help that our scoundrel opened the first door way early for a battle goal and immediately ate 20 damage from stone golems and artillery, losing 3 cards in a single round.

What got me through this one was ignoring the enemies that can't chase, yeah. Taking advantage of the free elements is nice too if you can manage it.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 28, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We unlocked #81 and #82 about the same time and from everything I've read I'm glad we put #81 on the backburner.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Ragnar34 posted:

[/spoiler]Taking advantage of the free elements is nice too if you can manage it.[/spoiler]

Yup, Triforce is good here, Sun and Moon will help too.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Does anyone have scans of the contents of Envelope X? My party member that started the game with that goal card seems to have lost the envelope. 😑

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

#81 is pretty rear end if only because it completely shuts down anyone who relies on elements. That guest designer seems to love designing scenarios that null part of the Gloomhaven experience and they invariably suffer for it. He's the same guy that came up with #52 where everyone is split into separate lanes and have to fight their way to a chest, sometimes through oozes or very strong spitters. What do you mean you're a support class? Oh well, lol!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I keep losing to #48, I'm going to drop it down to base difficulty just so I don't have to look at it anymore :argh:

Or I'll bench two-mini for now. Maybe the issue here is that I'm terrible with this one. Does Spiky Face combo with Two-mini? I was planning on mixing Spiky Face with (spoilers for multiple characters) someone meatier, maybe Three Spears, or even using Triforce just because it's starting to look like a lot of fun, but getting rid of one or both of my current team would be nice regardless. I don't like leaving someone unfinished, but I'm not loving either of them right now.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ragnar34 posted:

If I keep losing to #48, I'm going to drop it down to base difficulty just so I don't have to look at it anymore :argh:

Or I'll bench two-mini for now. Maybe the issue here is that I'm terrible with this one. Does Spiky Face combo with Two-mini? I was planning on mixing Spiky Face with (spoilers for multiple characters) someone meatier, maybe Three Spears, or even using Triforce just because it's starting to look like a lot of fun, but getting rid of one or both of my current team would be nice regardless. I don't like leaving someone unfinished, but I'm not loving either of them right now.
I was playing two mini when we did that one. You have to be more careful with your vermling placement than usual, on the very first round I ended up having to lose a card because the boss appeared behind me and smacked my exposed face for more than my max hp. Unfortunately there's not really a safe space for you to move into for the first few turns, and the imps hitting both you and your bear with curses is real unpleasant. If you can survive until you've cleared out the imps and harrowers you're in pretty good shape. This is a great scenario for the monolith, although it does make the cursing even less pleasant
e: oh right now I remember what happened, I played a sensible turn in the first round while my two 'teammates' made a beeline for the chest. Thanks, guys.

Other class spoilers: I feel like triforce and spiky face would be awful. Triforce is the class that most needs a tank to stand in front of them, imo.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 1, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've played it enough that I think I've gotten tyrant placement down; the damage mostly piles onto other targets instead. The trick seems to be living long enough for the horsefucker to hold still for a sec, two or three times. God drat do I wish this dude would just stay on the board, maybe even start the first round sitting around instead of nonexistent. Or let me disarm/stun/immobilize the loving thing. Or how rad would it be if I could spirit swap the horse with the Elite? Maybe that's allowed. There's no rule saying a dog can't play basketball.

e: Two damage short of a win. The salt rises.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 1, 2018

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

My mindthief has had the summons in their deck for precisely one mission. And it was really useful for trying to hold a horde of demons back for ten turns and I'd put it in if my Mindthief wasn't consistently one of the faster members of the party (no Scoundrel but no Cragheart either). But for a move action card until the final room it lacks panache. My first two bottom move cards are a move four jump and a move two heal two bless - and I've just got a move five that kicks gnawing horde right out. Also an ice generating ranged stun and an attack 1 melee that strengthens me ready for bigger attacks.

And I'm another one who thinks poison+muddle in no way matches +2 damage. That said, poison dagger would be my third choice of 20GP items behind Boots of Striding and Invisibility Cloak. Not that it's bad - just that the other two are better (and the cloak pretty much lets you drop Into The Night entirely).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

And I'm another one who thinks poison+muddle in no way matches +2 damage. That said, poison dagger would be my third choice of 20GP items behind Boots of Striding and Invisibility Cloak. Not that it's bad - just that the other two are better (and the cloak pretty much lets you drop Into The Night entirely).

Oh, the poison+muddle one is definitely nowhere near as good as +2 damage. There are those couple of attacks that give bonus damage based on the number of negative statuses on the target but that takes a lot of setup and it usually wasn't worth it in my opinion. Maybe against bosses, but the problem is they're all immune to a bunch of statuses. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
I've been playing a campaign at a friend's place but I was jonesing for some Gloomhaven and played on TTS. I got the pdf for Into the Unknown but it's unclear how to make choices for road events. The campaign seem like it meant to be played on Rails. Am I missing something?