Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Droyer posted:

There's a preorder up for Bandai's super minipla gaogaigar for 11 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/King-of-Braves-Gaogaigar/dp/B01M32LIUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8

Is that a kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is that a kit?

Yes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Awesome, the Megazord one was a really cool little model so I’m definitely grabbing that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finished my first Master Grade! :woop:

Bad phone pictures but he looks fantastic in person - and yes, he is incredibly tippy. That stand can't come soon enough!

Thoughts on the build:

- Too many loose bits? The shoulders like to shift around weirdly and I'm not sure I like it. Also one of the head prongs will fall off if you breath on it funny.
- The head is not poseable at all which is a bummer.
- Otherwise I loved all of the detail and how nicely stuff fit together, with only a few bits where I had to figure out what to do.
- The stickers wanted to make him orange and that would've looked terrible so I ditched them.

All in all I had a lot of fun, but also I'm not sure the extra complexity and size added to the experience. In the future I'll want to buy RGs and a lot of HGs so I have kits to work on, and I'll only buy MGs if I really love the design, as the price difference is just not worth it, imho. (20-30$ vs 50-60$)

Next up: HG Ghirarga, or he was like 12$ and has a cute tail and I want a breather after that monster of a MG. He arrived weeks ago, too, which is excellent. I'll probably blow through him in a day or two, then get to deciding on my next RG.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Some of the old MGs like the shining gundam are fantastic value, about $25 AUD so roughly the same as a pricey HG kit, if you ever feel like doing another.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

What sort of prices do you get in Paris? Was thinking of going anyway.

HG/RG kits seem to be 25-35 EUR, MGs were hovering around 55 EUR. Certainly cheaper than international ordering. Manga Story on Blvd. Voltaire (just between Republique and Oberkampf metro) was where we got these.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Are those 1/72 HMM or 1/100 pre built action figures?

Either way, glad to see new zoids in the year 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serenade posted:

Are those 1/72 HMM or 1/100 pre built action figures?

Either way, glad to see new zoids in the year 2018

model kit. But I guess with the parts coming already separated in a plastic bag like Legos? Either way, the internal skeleton is actually a skeleton, and that's great.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Guy Goodbody posted:

model kit. But I guess with the parts coming already separated in a plastic bag like Legos? Either way, the internal skeleton is actually a skeleton, and that's great.

That’s both a good middle ground and an ideal set up for quick paint set ups, nice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

Some of the old MGs like the shining gundam are fantastic value, about $25 AUD so roughly the same as a pricey HG kit, if you ever feel like doing another.

oh wow, you're right! That is ridiculously cheap for a MG - how is it to build? Finicky? Requires glue?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh wow, you're right! That is ridiculously cheap for a MG - how is it to build? Finicky? Requires glue?

Obviously not as good as a modern kit, but generally I've not heard anything terrible or requiring glue or anything. The Dalong page makes it look pretty reasonable - http://dalong.net/review/mg/m49/mg49_i.htm

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a 16 year old kit with funky proportions and an incredibly simple core design. It would take Bandai until about 2007 to really shake up their MG game, and a few years further to really go above and beyond. It's just a victim of being old and the only version there is.

Honestly, based on what you said with the Dark Matter, if you're not really interested in the extra detail (for panel lining and/or painting), larger size, general gimmicks, and out-of-box parts/color separation matching the art, I'm not sure MGs are gonna be your thing.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, it's really solid. I was worried about the little things stuck on the side of the face like sideburns but they seem reasonably secure. The only thing I'd consider gluing is the red part of the shoulder, because its the natural part to hold when you're sliding up the shoulders to show the gold part. It's got soft rubber soles and two sets of rubber hands, one set of green glowy hands. Has stickers instead of dry transfer decals. The frame has some screws. On the plus side it's got a detachable core ship that looks a bit like a blade runner spinner, a large pilot figurine that's I think 1/12 and, most importantly, the chest vulcans are part of the yellow chunk in the chest rather than moulded on directly, so they're an absolute cinch to paint (you still have to do the head one the hard way).

It's really fantastic value.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

One real head scratcher is, other than the usual "here use this instead of painting a black stripe" and eye stickers, the manual only tells you where to place one thing, leaving you with a bunch of mystery stickers. I guess weird stuff is part of the fun of old kits tho.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Droyer posted:

There's a preorder up for Bandai's super minipla gaogaigar for 11 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/King-of-Braves-Gaogaigar/dp/B01M32LIUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8

As an FYI, the MSRP on this is close to 40 bucks so this is a steal and/or a price error that may get cancelled.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That zoid crocogator looks rad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So when's that Woundwort actually coming out? Daddy needs his fix.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Sincere question and not trolling: what is the appeal of the woundwort. I'm asking so I can better appreciate the thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Sincere question and not trolling: what is the appeal of the woundwort. I'm asking so I can better appreciate the thing.

It's a really weird out-there design, it's a very feminine suit used by both the protagonist and the antagonist, it's basically a litmus test for some of the more out-there AoZ suits, and it's got a strong theme (rabbit, and its name is a Watership Down reference)

Also its got big bepis

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Personally, I love it because it's a very 'out there' suit that takes a lot of liberties with the design, but still looks very Gundam even if it shares very little of the classic features.

That's more than I can say about the flagship gundams of some series tbh.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It just oozes futurism compared to most other 'advanced' Gundam suits which are still just the basic Gundam shape with some extras bolted on or edges rounded down.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mordja posted:

So when's that Woundwort actually coming out? Daddy needs his fix.

Well they've put the Galbaldy in for the June release so July at the very earliest, if it doesn't go to P-Bandai.

Thinking about it though, it's been quite a while since AoZ was 'relevant' and the fancy new MG Hazels went straight to PB, so I wouldn't keep my hopes too high for a general release.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Well they've put the Galbaldy in for the June release so July at the very earliest, if it doesn't go to P-Bandai.

Thinking about it though, it's been quite a while since AoZ was 'relevant' and the fancy new MG Hazels went straight to PB, so I wouldn't keep my hopes too high for a general release.

Complete new molds are pretty rare picks for P-Bandai. Figuring the Woundwart might get a full release, counting on "What's that? Looks neat." buyers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Derringer on /m/'s gunpla thread confirmed that the woundwort it was a p-bandai release. Guess they're doing that for all AoZ stuff.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!

punchymcpunch posted:

No, it's really solid. I was worried about the little things stuck on the side of the face like sideburns but they seem reasonably secure. The only thing I'd consider gluing is the red part of the shoulder, because its the natural part to hold when you're sliding up the shoulders to show the gold part. It's got soft rubber soles and two sets of rubber hands, one set of green glowy hands. Has stickers instead of dry transfer decals. The frame has some screws. On the plus side it's got a detachable core ship that looks a bit like a blade runner spinner, a large pilot figurine that's I think 1/12 and, most importantly, the chest vulcans are part of the yellow chunk in the chest rather than moulded on directly, so they're an absolute cinch to paint (you still have to do the head one the hard way).

It's really fantastic value.

Thanks for the description, grabbed a God Gundam and Master Gundam. I've been wary of old MGs (I love the ez-8 MG so much but drat is it a mess) but I love the design of God Gundam and someone finally bought the one @ like $49 on prime so the price dropped, the Master looks like a robot clown and both were like $25 so why not :shrug:

It looks like Amazon has all 4 of the G Gundam series MGs at about this price fwiw, the other two don't really grab me as much tho, and my backlog has approached shameful heights

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
OK I didn't know the Woundwort had an MA mode, it looks loving badass. Now I'm enthusiastic about the kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Derringer on /m/'s gunpla thread confirmed that the woundwort it was a p-bandai release. Guess they're doing that for all AoZ stuff.

Huh.

Weird.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Just finished this bad boi.

Not super happy with the panel lining, but the colors came out great I feel. I especially love the Gunmetal, though it lost some of its cool look with the dull coat. It still looks pretty cool, and I don't think the photos really capture it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

Just finished this bad boi.

Not super happy with the panel lining, but the colors came out great I feel. I especially love the Gunmetal, though it lost some of its cool look with the dull coat. It still looks pretty cool, and I don't think the photos really capture it.

Looks awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Haven't built a model in over a decade but decided to jump back in and, for the first time, actually topcoat it. Don't really have the time to start yet till the summer but what's a good place to let your models dry? Don't exactly have a single place at home that can be considered dust free. Would it be alright to just stick the pieces in a box with a solid seal and just let it dry that way?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If your not painting then no need for boxing them up. They're glue free and won't need fixing together.

If you are painting and don't have a dust free environment then I guess if you can find one big enough maybe something like a big cheese board with a clear dome lid may cover it.

I'd probably prop up the lid so it's not air tight to get a bit of airflow though it.

Or maybe a box with some really fine mesh draped over the top to catch any dust?

If you want a practice run the Iron Blooded Orphans and Origin high grade lines are cheap and fun to build.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone used Badger's Spectra-Tex paints for gunpla before? They're airbrush ready acrylics, and there's at least a few colors I'd like to try out that I haven't found Tamiya or Vallejo equivalents for. I suspect they're require priming, but otherwise I imagine they'd be pretty much like any other airbrush acrylic, right?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Argas posted:

Haven't built a model in over a decade but decided to jump back in and, for the first time, actually topcoat it. Don't really have the time to start yet till the summer but what's a good place to let your models dry? Don't exactly have a single place at home that can be considered dust free. Would it be alright to just stick the pieces in a box with a solid seal and just let it dry that way?

Flat topcoats generally dry to the touch in minutes/seconds as long as you're spraying multiple light coats a few minutes apart, so I don't think you really need to do any dust mitigation there. I mostly use Testors and Krylon UV resist acrylic. Glosses/heavier coats can take forever so I just stick them in a tupperware box with the lid loosely on top so the gasses can vent a bit, and fully air them out occasionally. Also a decent indicator of when paint is fully cured, it doesn't stink up the box even after a few weeks of stewing inside.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

As an FYI, the MSRP on this is close to 40 bucks so this is a steal and/or a price error that may get cancelled.

Price is still the same a few days later, so I don't think it's a price error.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Runners for the SDCS RX-78-2 - http://bandaihobby.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/03/01/183000

It looks like all the colors (at least on this kit) are distinct plastic pieces. That is really, really cool.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is the visor plastic parts or sticker? I can't really tell from those pictures. I'm guessing based on being able to swap between SD eyes and regular visor it's a sticker.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Probably sticker, but as far as stickers go the SD visor/eyes are some of the least intrusive.

I imagine 3d color accurate eyes + replacement visor would stretch the SD budget too much.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

That Gobbo posted:

Is the visor plastic parts or sticker? I can't really tell from those pictures. I'm guessing based on being able to swap between SD eyes and regular visor it's a sticker.

At least one form of eyes is plastic.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those new SD kits look real good and they’re still cheap as hell so I’m probably going to start a new scale collection