Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spoon daddy posted:

I've been playing a campaign at a friend's place but I was jonesing for some Gloomhaven and played on TTS. I got the pdf for Into the Unknown but it's unclear how to make choices for road events. The campaign seem like it meant to be played on Rails. Am I missing something?

That was a campaign that was run during the Kickstarter for the reprint. People voted on what choice to pick, then the designer wrote some plot and created a scenario based on that outcome.

It's basically an on-rails set of scenarios now, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Jabor posted:

That was a campaign that was run during the Kickstarter for the reprint. People voted on what choice to pick, then the designer wrote some plot and created a scenario based on that outcome.

It's basically an on-rails set of scenarios now, yeah.

That makes much more sense. Thanks!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Question about setting up Scenario 2 since we're running it Saturday:

The special rules say to shuffle 3 curses into each player's attack deck. I was just re-reading the rulebook to brush up on some things and it says that there are only 10 total curse cards for player decks. We have 4 players in our group. Do we add curses from the monster deck to fulfill the curse requirements for each player deck or do we randomize 2 players to get only 2 curses?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Question about setting up Scenario 2 since we're running it Saturday:

The special rules say to shuffle 3 curses into each player's attack deck. I was just re-reading the rulebook to brush up on some things and it says that there are only 10 total curse cards for player decks. We have 4 players in our group. Do we add curses from the monster deck to fulfill the curse requirements for each player deck or do we randomize 2 players to get only 2 curses?
The latter.

Rulebook page 23:
Note that there are two separate curse decks: 10 cards with a * in the lower left corner and 10 cards with an M. M cards can only be placed in the monster attack deck (when a monster is cursed), and * cards can only be placed in a character's attack deck (when a character or character summon is cursed).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

The latter.

Rulebook page 23:
Note that there are two separate curse decks: 10 cards with a * in the lower left corner and 10 cards with an M. M cards can only be placed in the monster attack deck (when a monster is cursed), and * cards can only be placed in a character's attack deck (when a character or character summon is cursed).

Yeah that's the exact paragraph that sparked the question. Thanks for the answer. That will make things slightly less painful. The scenario special rule must have been an editing oversight.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

The monster decks are easily stored by just using the GloomyCompanion page found here: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

I agree; it looks like it would make it easier. I was thinking I wanted to make it feel less electronic and more cardboard (after all, if we wanted to play a video game, we'd play a video game, right?) but ... these CD envelopes, once you pack them with the monster card, the deck, and the standees, look like a great way to bend all your monster cards (how much that matters is unclear, I guess, but goddamn I spent a fair chunk of change on this game, I don't want to ruin it by storing it stupidly).

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
I found a pretty good alternative for out-of-the-box monster storage. It works great if you've already got a binder for items, etc with room to spare.

The decks will fit into the smaller pouches on the top and bottom, but there are only 2 per page so it doesn't quite work without putting the third deck in with its card, or maybe limiting each page to 2 monsters. I'm considering getting a pack of the mini-card/business card storage pages and using those (probably the best way to do it because of how flimsy the cd pages are).

Another bonus for me is that the little pouches in the middle can be used for initiative tokens. I made a set of tokens for all the monsters, and I can store them along with everything else.

It may or may not be useful but I thought these pages in particular were good because they'd fit into a normal sized binder with 8 1/2 x 11 pages. You could easily pop in some construction paper squares to block the cards if you're concerned about spoilers.

Nevermind. Don't do this, It is bad.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 9, 2018

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We played Scenario 18 last night, it was a doozy. Playing as two-mini, eclipse and saw, Eclipse (me) stayed invisible most of the time, but Saw and Bear got continuously poisoned enough that the two-mini had to discard like 6 cards to not die, so they exhausted almost as soon as we opened the final room. The most harrowing mission yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just started playing. Was messing around with the Mind Thief but wasn't having much luck. I looked up a guide that encouraged building him as a burst damage assassin, but I'd prefer a version that wreaks havoc behind the enemy lines with hypnosis, invisibility, and elusiveness. Is that a viable build, through abilities, items, what have you?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PantsBandit posted:

Just started playing. Was messing around with the Mind Thief but wasn't having much luck. I looked up a guide that encouraged building him as a burst damage assassin, but I'd prefer a version that wreaks havoc behind the enemy lines with hypnosis, invisibility, and elusiveness. Is that a viable build, through abilities, items, what have you?

i say this as someone who has had someone playing a scoundrel like that in nearly all their games since November - if you play on easy, anything is viable

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

There's kind of two problems, at least on normal.

One, you're severely limited in how many turns you've got to do your goal. You do have to go pretty fast in some scenarios, and too much messing around will mean you lose due to sheer attrition, even if the enemy isn't actually hitting you.

Two, generally speaking the best mitigation is having the enemies Just Be Dead. You can't take a lot of hits in Gloomhaven and creature control is more about immobilizing melee enemies, stunning particularly nasty ones, and just killing poo poo before it can move in general. Invis is great but Muddle is more of a 'this is nice to have' rather than 'I can rely on this do to all my cc for me'.

Generally, the best thing to do is try to strike a balance. Items like Stun Powder or Weighted Net can be used to give your big beefy attacks extra status effects, and that's probably the most feasible way to go about it in the long run. Or, play on easy and chill out!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stelas posted:

creature control is more about immobilizing melee enemies, stunning particularly nasty ones, and just killing poo poo before it can move in general.
Mind Thief is at least pretty good at this.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I definitely would not recommend having your Mindthief behind enemy lines, at least with an intent to then mix it up, even with access to invisibility on a temporary basis. Being away from friendly support and, with many of the Mindthief's cards being very fast, a high priority target for multiple monsters to focus on is a good way to get banged up pretty good.

You can pull some fun tricks with mind control and invis and suchlike, though.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
There's definitely an element of risk involved but I'd argue that using feedback loop to flank or break through when a big enemy mosh pit develops is pretty core to good mindthief play, though that might be more of a factor with specifically 4-person teams where the majority of characters are melee focused.

PantsBandit posted:

Is that a viable build, through abilities, items, what have you?

Echoing what's been mentioned above, it won't work super great right out of the box, because the level one control abilities are kind of garbage (the bottom of submissive affliction seems super cool at first blush, but from a numbers perspective It's Real Bad) but you can definitely build in that direction as you level and gear up.

You probably don't want to build towards control if your party has so little damage that fights won't end, or else so much damage that everything melts in a round, but anywhere in the middle and you're fine.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Spike Face is absurd. He practically soloed scenario 51 for me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"Behind enemy lines" is doable, but you probably want the invisibility cloak item and "Into the night" cards so you don't just get pounded to a thin smear.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

malkav11 posted:

I definitely would not recommend having your Mindthief behind enemy lines, at least with an intent to then mix it up, even with access to invisibility on a temporary basis. Being away from friendly support and, with many of the Mindthief's cards being very fast, a high priority target for multiple monsters to focus on is a good way to get banged up pretty good.

You can pull some fun tricks with mind control and invis and suchlike, though.

Cloak of Invisibility is definitely the best chest option for me for Mindthief. MT isn't planning on getting hit very often, but when it does look like they will be hit you will probably want to be dodging absolutely everything because all the enemy attacks are probably coming your way.

I would said that I usually saved Feedback Loop to get out of dodgy situations because its one of the lowest initiative cards, so maximises your invisibility when you do use it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I want removable stickers before I gloom the havens. Fuckers are selling them for $50 on eBay for vinyl stickers.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bum the Sad posted:

I want removable stickers before I gloom the havens. Fuckers are selling them for $50 on eBay for vinyl stickers.

You can play without stickering anything for a bit if you did want to start but wait for your weird removable stickers.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
They're 35 on Amazon :shrug:

I got a set direct from Sinister Fish for about $18 including shipping, so don't expect them any cheaper than that.

You can also use the Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker app in the meantime until you get a set.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 2, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bum the Sad posted:

I have a set I didn’t end up using. If I can find them, I’d be happy to undercut eBay and Amazon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You can also buy some reusable sticker paper, print the things onto that, cut em out yourself. My wife did that.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Anybody else going to the game day in Indiana that Isaac is having on the 31st?

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28422455

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Servoret posted:

Anybody else going to the game day in Indiana that Isaac is having on the 31st?

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28422455

Yeah wow I'm going to this if I can. That's only a couple hours by car from me. Thanks for posting this.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
We pulled a City event last night which gave us all deja-vu - turns out we'd had an almost identically worded city event the session before. The outcome was completely different and completely worth the 10gold we paid, though, and I somehow convinced the group to give me the item we got as a result, which works toward my retirement goal :smugdog:

Then went and did Scenario 8 but not before I convinced everyone to donate to the church for the first time ("Wait, you get TWO Bless cards? Sign me up!!"). Pretty much everyone drew them too which kinda owned, should have that envelope open soon.

Got through Scenario 8 fairly quickly, almost too quickly as we just ended up using our loss cards early to finish it fast, and I was 4 xp short of leveling up to 3 :negative:. Also my looting efforts only got me 10 gold.

It's so much more fun when you remove all the negative poo poo from your attack modifier deck, however.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I taught 4 people who have never played Gloomhaven before, and who have limited board game experiecne, to play Gloomhaven and complete a home brew three-room custom scenario in 1:50.

Gonna have fun running this scenario 4 times at the con in June!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Some Numbers posted:

I have a set I didn’t end up using. If I can find them, I’d be happy to undercut eBay and Amazon.

PM sent. Thanks for the offer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Had our first loss last night, on Scenario #25. Turns out losing a bunch of movement cards really hurts on scenario where you have to get across the map quickly. Also we need to think about how we handle packs of weak enemies, because as a Scoundrel and Mindthief we don't have a lot of options at this stage.

Got it on the second go though. I hit level 3 as a result, and my girlfriend got a third of her personal quest done.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why are there so many curse cards if conditions are only applied once

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Relin posted:

why are there so many curse cards if conditions are only applied once

Being Cursed isn't really a condition in the way being Poisoned or Muddled is - you just add a curse card to your attack deck every time an attack hits you (or the enemy) that inflicts Curse.

e: same with Bless/Blessing cards

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Retired my Brute last night and unlocked the Cthulhu class. Spoilers ahead!

The set of scenarios to unlock Cthulhu were thematically cool but not our favorite. The final one we played with 3 instead of our normal 4 and STEAMROLLED it. That is even with the Harrowers only being able to be damaged by my brute and having retaliate. Oh well, still very cool story/theme to them.
Plagueherald? SO COOL. Only got to play 1 side mission with him (starting at level 2) and I loved it. It felt like an awesome debuffer semi-damage class. I ended up stacking tons of curses in the monster deck and probably saving ~3-4 cards worth of discards because of the damage mitigation. I hear it was nerfed a lot between v1 and v2 but whatever still seems cool. I am really looking forward to playing more of this guy.

My good ole Brute retired a tank who also was very good at damage when setup correctly. Despite being one of the most straight forward classes he was still very fun to play.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I think that you actually want to play one of the locked classes, one that is notorious for its invisibility. And it will take a little damage to do what you want - start by getting the cloak of invisibility and boots of striding - and stunning monsters you want to control. I know my mindthief occasionally makes solo raids starting off with jumping six hexes, stunning someone, and using the cloak of invisibility. And possibly the invisibility-causing card next turn.

But Mindthieves are very brittle (lowest hp in the game) so you have to be very careful when you pull this sort of stunt. And the best way of wreaking havoc is to kill people.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Some scenario 4 talk. We lost this one after breezing through 1 and 2. Should we have gone to 3 first? I've read scenario number doesn't denote difficulty, but maybe 4 was tuned around people having their first level 2 cards since we were all on track to level after beating three scenarios. We have started 4 again (with -3hp since we went to town and had a tough road card) and the first room got cleared in two rounds instead of three this time. Room two isn't going that well since both draws so far had the cultists raising bones.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Scenario number isn't correlated with difficulty. You can play them in any unlocked order. At one point around there you kind of get a few questlines going.

Cultists in general are wildly variable in difficulty depending largely on how many bones you spawn. Sometimes it just happens that they spawn too many too fast and you get rolled.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

imo scenario 4 is also the first scenario which gets vastly more difficult if you screw up monster movement rules. Remember, if there's no way a monster could ever get focus to someone given infinite movement, it doesn't move. So if you're blocking a door with two people, and a monster's stood in the door, nothing behind that monster is going to move. First time we tried 4 we hosed that rule up and they just built an impenetrable wall at the doorway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Stelas posted:

So if you're blocking a door with two people, and a monster's stood in the door, nothing behind that monster is going to move.

Unless they have range :v:

As for scenarios i've found that generally speaking the side scenarios are way harder than the plot scenarios, but that might be because they tend to have wackier gimmicks and are often made by guests with...interesting ideas about balance.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Unless they have range :v:

Not if you have a completely blocked doorway.

code:
 \
H M . . R
 . \
If setup like this, the ranged monster will move because it can move through its friend, but

code:
 \
H M . . R
 H \
If setup like this, there's no space anywhere on the map where the ranged monster can draw line of sight - since it can't move through heroes - so it doesn't move. At least, as I understand it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Stelas posted:

code:
 \
H M . . R
 H \
If setup like this, there's no space anywhere on the map where the ranged monster can draw line of sight - since it can't move through heroes - so it doesn't move. At least, as I understand it.

Monsters don't block each other's line of sight, so that ranged one will move closer until it's in range, then shoot the player "over the head" of the monster in the doorway. What's worse, line of sight can be drawn from any part of the source hex to any part of the target hex, so in many cases both of the players in your example can be shot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My party tried the doorway trick with two tanky characters for a mission where the monsters didn't have ranged attacks on their stat cards.

Turns out their ai cards included a bunch of nasty ranged attacks. Party was nearly destroyed in two turns from over a dozen attacks. Luckily I was invisible and killed the boss on my lonesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So if that was a melee guy instead of range, he wouldn't move?

We thought it was weird that a flying monster can fly over a pillar. If they specifically tell us to put down a pillar wouldn't that go floor to ceiling?