Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Dentists have told me that the sweetened iced tea you buy in bottles at the supermarket are super acidic to the point that they are considerably worse for your teeth than drinking coke.

Sugar is the devil far, far more so than fat - and it’s worse for you guys in the US because everything is made with corn syrup which is worse for you than cane sugar.

If you want an energy hit just drink a cup of coffee or (real) tea. There’s nothing wrong with getting a latte made on 2% and skipping the sugar. Most adults don’t eat enough dairy anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Coffe black, no cream no sugar, for the win.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Coffee as black as my heart

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Volmarias posted:

Coffee as black as my heart

Thread's inspired me, making a cup right now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The Lord Bude posted:

Sugar is the devil far, far more so than fat - and it’s worse for you guys in the US because everything is made with corn syrup which is worse for you than cane sugar.

I happen to agree with this, but it's not exactly a point that's been settled conclusively in the scientific literature.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I happen to agree with this, but it's not exactly a point that's been settled conclusively in the scientific literature.

What a suspicious username/post combo :thunk:

fake e: I only worked in a customer facing job for one summer, but I have nothing but love for you poor goons who slave away in retail jobs way below your skill level :sympathy:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Chemically they are both very similar, about half fructose and half sucrose.

Pentaghastly posted:

Anyway I've been training myself on taking my coffee without any sugar and just a little 2% in the morning. Water is a given at work and iced teas are good unsweetened but sometimes I need a kick. I'm just going to start ordering a doppio with an ice cube and throwing it back before I clock in.

How do you feel about sweeteners, or diet soft drinks?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Work since the year started: Too many man hours, too many man hours, too many man hours. You get 3 days off and you get 3 days off and YOU get 3 days off!

Work this week: You all get one day off next week

Have I mentioned how much I hate how my job's schedules are done? You literally do not know what your schedule is next week until 2 days before. Its frustrating to plan anything cause I wont know whats going on next week until Friday.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Leal posted:

Have I mentioned how much I hate how my job's schedules are done? You literally do not know what your schedule is next week until 2 days before. Its frustrating to plan anything cause I wont know whats going on next week until Friday.

They do that on purpose to prevent you from making any plans, thus making it more likely they can call you in when they feel like it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Lord Bude posted:

Dentists have told me that the sweetened iced tea you buy in bottles at the supermarket are super acidic to the point that they are considerably worse for your teeth than drinking coke.

If you want an energy hit just drink a cup of coffee or (real) tea. There’s nothing wrong with getting a latte made on 2% and skipping the sugar. Most adults don’t eat enough dairy anyway.

parachutes into thread

Corn syrup is not nutritively or chemically different from cane sugar. Studies on these subjects must be parsed closely and with a degree of cynicism, as there's been a proxy research war going on between cane and corn refiners on these subjects for at least 20 years now. Sugar and sweetener research is pretty much the single biggest cesspit in the sciences these days.

Most sugars you consume in your diet are about the same, unless you're getting into the really obscure stuff, like ~~*agave nectar*~~, and then the primary differences are glycemic impact.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Guess who got a full pallet of fluids (oil, antifreeze, washer fluid, etc) from the DC that was supposed to go to another store instead of the correct pallet of fluids for his store? If you said the dude who spent 3 1/2 correcting all that poo poo because we have inventory monday morning, you'd be right.

Guess whose store's inventory is getting audited by our local loss prevention agent because we are consistently spot on with our inventory and audits and therefore are the easiest to do? This dude.

Guess whose store is expected to have a 98% on their audit, which would be a perfect score for us (district average is mid 80s, our last 2 were 92% and 94.5%) and a sub $250 variance on $750,000+ of merchandise? Please dear god end it already.

I've been pushing flat out for the last month to help have everything ready while dealing with an insane spike in sales due to tax returns. The store manager is going to be nearing 70 hours this week helping prep everything as well. Being the model store for the district (except in sales, lololol) is overrated. :shepicide:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Guess who got a full pallet of fluids (oil, antifreeze, washer fluid, etc) from the DC that was supposed to go to another store instead of the correct pallet of fluids for his store? If you said the dude who spent 3 1/2 correcting all that poo poo because we have inventory monday morning, you'd be right.

Guess whose store's inventory is getting audited by our local loss prevention agent because we are consistently spot on with our inventory and audits and therefore are the easiest to do? This dude.

Guess whose store is expected to have a 98% on their audit, which would be a perfect score for us (district average is mid 80s, our last 2 were 92% and 94.5%) and a sub $250 variance on $750,000+ of merchandise? Please dear god end it already.

I've been pushing flat out for the last month to help have everything ready while dealing with an insane spike in sales due to tax returns. The store manager is going to be nearing 70 hours this week helping prep everything as well. Being the model store for the district (except in sales, lololol) is overrated. :shepicide:

I was just quipping jokes at work the other day on how achieving is a bad idea, because the reward is “great job, now here’s more work to do since we know you actually get poo poo done.”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There needs to be some kind of cross-company, cross-industry union for low wage retail workers who actually get poo poo done, to protect them from their own tendency to let their employers and lazy co-workers take advantage of them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

There needs to be some kind of cross-company, cross-industry union for low wage retail workers who actually get poo poo done, to protect them from their own tendency to let their employers and lazy co-workers take advantage of them.

And maybe then Lord Apollo can take aim from high Olympus and shoot lovely customers through the eye with his blinding arrows.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah. Not saying unions are necessarily bad, but my experience being in one (CWA) is they tend to really just favor employees of seniority and none of the rules tend to factor in job performance at all.

So I agree with what you are saying, but I don’t think it quite exists even within one union, sadly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That would be great too, yeah.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I was just quipping jokes at work the other day on how achieving is a bad idea, because the reward is “great job, now here’s more work to do since we know you actually get poo poo done.”

I have unironically heard the management advice "if you really want to get something done, give it your busiest worker"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Totally unironic post: Knowing which two or three of your employees actually do work and making them do all the work is like page 2 of the retail management manual

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
It really did suck when I was a part timer fighting for hours with someone with more seniority but did way less. I kept trucking though and eventually got my full time because most management respected my work ethic. Only shithead that didn't was a store manager that "retired" when he got caught fraudulently using training hours for his store. gently caress that guy.

As a leader of the department now, I make sure to compliment the hard workers. It does suck being in a position where you got a real lovely worker, in the union, with more seniority, with a good attitude, and actually tries to work, but still sucks rear end. It's not like I can pressure her to get another retail job considering she's been with the company for over 30 years. Everybody told me when I got transferred to the store, including herself, that our department was her last chance of keeping her job.

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with her? Store management refuses to put her in a less physical department.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Thanks to the snowpocalypse happening in the UK, we had no deliveries for 2 full days. The store's never looked so tidy despite the massive gaps everywhere.

Edit: ijii: document, document, document. Eventually the managers will have to sit down with her again to review her work. Maybe they'll convince her to reduce her hours or something.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ijii posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with her? Store management refuses to put her in a less physical department.

What department is it and how often is she the only person in her department?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Zenithe posted:

Chemically they are both very similar, about half fructose and half sucrose.

How do you feel about sweeteners, or diet soft drinks?

Coke zero is the only tolerable diet drink, but only in the summer because it has a thinner and less sticky mouthfeel to me

Otherwise artificial sweeteners taste like poison to me

We have been non-stop busy since I clocked in. I hate Saturdays

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pentaghastly posted:

Opposite here. Then again the majority of our sales are to businesses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

Coke zero is the only tolerable diet drink, but only in the summer because it has a thinner and less sticky mouthfeel to me

Can confirm, this afternoon I had 20 minutes to kill before I had to be somewhere nearby so I walked into the local Starbucks, saw the long line and every chair in the place filled, and noped right out of there. Drivethrough line was like 9 cars deep too.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What department is it and how often is she the only person in her department?

Meat, generally twice a week she's by herself from 2-4 hours starting 3am-5am (store opens 6 am). Next person comes in at 7 am. Specifically she stocks cold cuts when she has a early shift: lunchables, bacon, sausage, sandwich meat. Or she stocks the other meats if she has a mid shift.

I've seen older people work better than her. I've seen people less healthier than her keep up the work better. I've seen people with less than a year in our department work better than her, she's been in our department for five years.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pentaghastly posted:

Oddly enough that's why I pretty much only like sugar free drinks now (the mouthfeel, not the poison taste). Maybe try drinking cold water with a bit of lemon or lime juice?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ijii posted:

Meat, generally twice a week she's by herself from 2-4 hours starting 3am-5am (store opens 6 am). Next person comes in at 7 am. Specifically she stocks cold cuts when she has a early shift: lunchables, bacon, sausage, sandwich meat. Or she stocks the other meats if she has a mid shift.

I've seen older people work better than her. I've seen people less healthier than her keep up the work better. I've seen people with less than a year in our department work better than her, she's been in our department for five years.

Anything you do is going to involve other people's time, and at least some of your own.

The first thing I would try doing is just sort of watching her, talking to her, trying to figure out why she's slow. Is she slow at everything? Is she good at some things? Is she better early in the day? Later in the day? If you can observe her without her noticing, all the better. Hopefully, she isn't lovely at every time of day, in every situation, under every circumstance.

The secondary options all boil down to, "How much do you want to help this person?" If she's dragging rear end because she can't handle 3am, you could see if anyone else wants it, and assign her another shift. You could try arranging her shifts so that she's never working alone and assign her the tasks that she's best at, or the tasks that are a lower priority. You could think about if there's any kind of prep you can do to help her get her job done faster.

At the end of the day it might not be a problem you can solve tho.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Anything you do is going to involve other people's time, and at least some of your own.

The first thing I would try doing is just sort of watching her, talking to her, trying to figure out why she's slow. Is she slow at everything? Is she good at some things? Is she better early in the day? Later in the day? If you can observe her without her noticing, all the better. Hopefully, she isn't lovely at every time of day, in every situation, under every circumstance.

The secondary options all boil down to, "How much do you want to help this person?" If she's dragging rear end because she can't handle 3am, you could see if anyone else wants it, and assign her another shift. You could try arranging her shifts so that she's never working alone and assign her the tasks that she's best at, or the tasks that are a lower priority. You could think about if there's any kind of prep you can do to help her get her job done faster.
She's terrible at everything at any part of the day. There are 0 type of tasks, or shifts that she would be better fitted to do, whatever I have her do, those things aren't going to get done.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At the end of the day it might not be a problem you can solve tho.
This is where I'm currently at with her.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Oddly enough that's why I pretty much only like sugar free drinks now (the mouthfeel, not the poison taste). Maybe try drinking cold water with a bit of lemon or lime juice?

I've recently discovered that diet dr pepper and faygo are actually better than their hfcs counterparts, at least to my taste. Turns out all I have to do is check the ingredients and, if something contains aspartame, it's delicious.
But if it contains sucralose it's unpalatable. I've actually dumped sucralose sodas rather than finishing them, and I hate wasting things I paid for.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cephalopods posted:

I've recently discovered that diet dr pepper and faygo are actually better than their hfcs counterparts, at least to my taste. Turns out all I have to do is check the ingredients and, if something contains aspartame, it's delicious.
But if it contains sucralose it's unpalatable. I've actually dumped sucralose sodas rather than finishing them, and I hate wasting things I paid for.

Have you tried soft drinks made with sugar rather than HFCS? I'm told there's a radical difference in taste and mouthfeel between coke et al sold in the US and coke products sold here (which all use cane sugar). It's harder to find sugar based soft drinks in the states but I believe mexican stuff like jarritos use sugar. You generally don't see HFCS in Australia unless it's in something imported from the US. The most common item that you'd be likely to encounter with HFCS here is Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, and although I don't know whether it's entirely the fault of the corn syrup but it tastes absolutely disgusting to me - it has this weird artificial taste to it. Definitely isn't worth the $14 a pint that supermarkets sell it for.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried soft drinks made with sugar rather than HFCS? I'm told there's a radical difference in taste and mouthfeel between coke et al sold in the US and coke products sold here (which all use cane sugar). It's harder to find sugar based soft drinks in the states but I believe mexican stuff like jarritos use sugar. You generally don't see HFCS in Australia unless it's in something imported from the US. The most common item that you'd be likely to encounter with HFCS here is Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, and although I don't know whether it's entirely the fault of the corn syrup but it tastes absolutely disgusting to me - it has this weird artificial taste to it. Definitely isn't worth the $14 a pint that supermarkets sell it for.

Jarritos is a pro soda. They're absolutely delicious; nobody makes a better orange soda and the Tamarindo is amazing.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2018

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Standard hfcs soda has a faint undertone of dish soap to me, and I'm pretty sure it fucks up my skin. Luckily my store carries mountain dew throwback, the cane sugar version.
My intake of that went crazy for a while but I'm cutting back lately.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
It really sucks to say to someone "Man this dude has gotten like nothing done today, he's had his phone out near constantly today" and the response to be "Yeah he's probably going to get fired, but that'll really suck cause who will get their work done?"

Like, who exactly is getting the work done now? It's not them, hence the problem?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vonnie posted:

It really sucks to say to someone "Man this dude has gotten like nothing done today, he's had his phone out near constantly today" and the response to be "Yeah he's probably going to get fired, but that'll really suck cause who will get their work done?"

Like, who exactly is getting the work done now? It's not them, hence the problem?

the answer they’re really saying is “man that’ll be a lot of work to actually try and hire a replacement.”

Or “crap I can’t blame lack of work done on this dude anymore.” (Not saying that’s what you are doing, just what the other person is probably thinking).”

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

cephalopods posted:

God honestly, I've always thought Diet Dr. Pepper tastes way better than the original. I actually have a medical reason to avoid HFCS (it triggers my IBS) and seeing as it contains like a million calories I guess that's actually a helpful condition to have.

Anyway, my Target is a shitshow right now, spring payroll means we don't have enough hours to get anything done and everything is just completely on fire. :(

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

the answer they’re really saying is “man that’ll be a lot of work to actually try and hire a replacement.”

Or “crap I can’t blame lack of work done on this dude anymore.” (Not saying that’s what you are doing, just what the other person is probably thinking).”

That would make more sense if the person was a manager, dudes just weird.

The guy who doesn't get things done is, from what I've been told, on his last chance before he's gone as of today.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
So one of the associates that I know came up to me and asked, "Do you want my job?" He's a full-timer, and he's leaving. The only other guy in his department that could take it can't because of scheduling issues. My managers have given me the thumbs up, but I need to apply.

It's in a department I know nothing about.

Either I get the first full-time job of my loving life, or I don't have to work a full-time retail job. I can't lose.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Take it, work it, bank some money and use it as an opportunity to get out after a while. Full team means a slightly or totally more consistent schedule.

You could do a lot with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

It isn't even difficult to find the cane sugar versions of popular soft drinks in the US. I can go to pretty much any local grocer and get a variety of cane sugar versions of big brands. Almost any grocer will carry the Mexican cane sugar stuff, too. The high end grocers will also carry all sorts of local cane sugar sodas. Most people just don't care and want to swill as much garbage as they can fit in their undiscerning, gaping maws, though.