Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, my brain tells me that yeah, it was a bit of a nothing episode with a cool Vegeta speech about how "lol you really think goku isn't gonna do some bs and beat the alien?", but my heart saw the last five minutes and Beerus going "ah gently caress he did it didn't he" so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Super is worth it just for Beerus and Whis

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The shot of Beerus's reaction was loving great because you see his grin at first and you're like "hell yeah beerus is proud of his stupid monkey boy" and then it zooms up to his eyes and you see that while he's happy for Goku he's also grinding his loving teeth and biting his tongue that Goku managed to do this while he hasn't yet.

Basically

Alan_Shore posted:

Super is worth it just for Beerus and Whis

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would be so much more excited about all this if it wasn't in service to beating a gigantic wall of grey bricks known as Jiren.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I would be so much more excited about all this if it wasn't in service to beating a gigantic wall of grey bricks known as Jiren.

I don't know. I actually think Jiren works for this. He's such a giant wall of never flinching that every time someone actually does land a solid hit on him it becomes hype.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How much time is left?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Just five more minutes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can they really fit that much time in one episode?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's amazing that the last few episodes are both incredibly rushed and simultaneously spin their wheels.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rhonne posted:

Can they really fit that much time in one episode?

Five minutes was four hours when it was frieza vs goku, so i'm sure they got plenty of time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't worry the 5 minute mark was actually a few episodes ago

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am very berry hype right now. That was retarded tense and awesome. And I have no idea why I felt that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd love to see this series under a standard 13-episode cour. Seems like it'd benefit from the snappiness and inability to just spin its wheels for episodes upon episodes. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when rewatching it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kanos posted:

The shot of Beerus's reaction was loving great because you see his grin at first and you're like "hell yeah beerus is proud of his stupid monkey boy" and then it zooms up to his eyes and you see that while he's happy for Goku he's also grinding his loving teeth and biting his tongue that Goku managed to do this while he hasn't yet.

Yeah, the thing that makes it great is that Goku clearly had to drag every inch of this praise out of Beerus and that Beerus doesn't really want to give it but he has to admit that Goku's really done it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
"Nothing happened except a bunch of yelling and powering-up."

I agree, this was a dope as hell episode of Dragonball. A+

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I'd love to see this series under a standard 13-episode cour. Seems like it'd benefit from the snappiness and inability to just spin its wheels for episodes upon episodes. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when rewatching it.

Just wait for dragon ball super kai in like 10 years.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

"Nothing happened except a bunch of yelling and powering-up."

I agree, this was a dope as hell episode of Dragonball. A+

I think people are being a little harsh, it was clear that throughout the episode Goku's UI was getting stronger with each clash with Jiren and it really sold me on Goku actually mastering it through experience and practice rather than getting really mad, which was nice to see as UI isn't meant to be just another SSJ transformation. I guess it helped I expected the episode to end on Blanco because Toei have been filthy teases this entire arc.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Kanos posted:

Basically

I read it as him being excited that he finally got his rival

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

I read it as him being excited that he finally got his rival

lol Goku is way past being his rival

Vegeta's probably on a similar level though, given (with great effort) he was able to defeat an GoD

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Vegeta's probably on a similar level though, given (with great effort) he was able to defeat an GoD

Vegeta's victory over Toppo is not the same thing as beating an actual GoD.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a dude who was a GoD for five minutes is not on the level of Beerus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Vegeta's victory over Toppo is not the same thing as beating an actual GoD.

Yeah my mistake, I meant to say 'amateur GoD'. I'd guess Beerus would still win but he'd probably have to put his back into it at this point.

It'd be a cool fight to do at the very least and it'd be fun to see Beerus actually fight again

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

multijoe posted:

Nah they haven't had their rematch yet and belmod losing to jiren doesn't say anything about Beerus

Also beerus not having complete UI is a perfect hook for him to compete with goku

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Other than UI I don't get the impression that Goku is 'stronger' than Beerus anyway. He'd win thanks to white hair hacks but otherwise I doubt it.

I miss Beerus being somewhat intimidating. It's a shame they made him 'one of the guys' so quickly.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Other than UI I don't get the impression that Goku is 'stronger' than Beerus anyway. He'd win thanks to white hair hacks but otherwise I doubt it.

I miss Beerus being somewhat intimidating. It's a shame they made him 'one of the guys' so quickly.

That's funny because I think super went too far in him randomly threatening people

Like he walked into bulma's party and started breakdancing to entertain the guests in BoG

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wellwinds posted:

That's funny because I think super went too far in him randomly threatening people

Like he walked into bulma's party and started breakdancing to entertain the guests in BoG

Yeah, Super never handled him all that well. In BoG he was a fun doofus, but you always had the impression that he could (and would) end all life on a whim if the gang stopped being entertaining. Kind of like Fat Buu but way more sentient and threatening.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I see him kind of like Piccolo, except instead of Baby Pan it's Goku he's taking care of.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Goku is probably stronger than Beerus at this point, because of UI. Based on UI Goku punching Jiren and actually having him recoil, we can assume with proper UI that Goku is stronger than Jiren who is stronger than a GoD. That’s said, Beerus does have the advantage of fullblown mastery of hakai on his side, so if Beerus could land a single hakai blow on Goku it would be over.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Yeah my mistake, I meant to say 'amateur GoD'. I'd guess Beerus would still win but he'd probably have to put his back into it at this point.

It'd be a cool fight to do at the very least and it'd be fun to see Beerus actually fight again

Which is all that Vegeta really wants. He still deeply values strength and growing stronger but now he is finally growing into a true leader where his people and their success/survival matter more then his own individual strength.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

multijoe posted:

It was a clutch effort between 17, Frieza and Vegeta and Geetz still barely pulled through

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It was a clutch effort between 17, Frieza and Vegeta and Geetz still barely pulled through

Vegeta did 100% of the work in that fight, once Toppo went GoD Frieza and 17's attacks were literally plinking off

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, Super never handled him all that well. In BoG he was a fun doofus, but you always had the impression that he could (and would) end all life on a whim if the gang stopped being entertaining. Kind of like Fat Buu but way more sentient and threatening.

It's been a while since I've watched BoG but I feel like a lot of that landed on virtue of vegeta making GBS threads himself in the background which may be why super did it the way it did; you can have people exposit on him or have him threaten them and the former works less well when they're friends, but the latter's kind of poo poo because petulant-probably-empty threats can work but they throw out most of beerus being sociable with anyone other than whis

And they're perfectly capable of making him menacing when they need to; End of U6 tourney, Erasing Zamasu, actually threatening to erase goku to stop him talking to zeno

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah 17 and Freeza did approximately gently caress all in that fight except not die

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/970327653587865600

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Goku has transcended his physical form. He's now a floating orange sphere. He's really, really loving strong now, trust us."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Steve2911 posted:

"Goku has transcended his physical form. He's now a floating orange sphere. He's really, really loving strong now, trust us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyRpIqApaFM

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I may not like the Buu saga that much but Candy Vegito was the best. A loving small chocolate ball kicking Super Buu's rear end.

LOVE it.

I can just repeat that one scene of Vegito punching Super Buu in the face over and over.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You know, I have to wonder what Vegito would've done if Buu DID surrender.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Goku is now an entity of sound and you cannot stop him. Can you not hear him powering up? I hope you know how to block his attack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Goku is the alpha and the omega, and he’s become one with the world of the void