Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
fantasy artist makes bad art for cover of bad fantasy writer's bad book, film at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I'm sure that the publisher just told the guy what they wanted on the cover and he delivered. If I were an artist trying to make a buck, I'm not going to tell a publisher, "No, I'm sorry, ~*~my art~*~ will not allow me to stoop to that." I'm going to say, "Sooooo ... for this slice of pizza that you want to be delivering the death-blow to a dragon made of Cheetos, should the battleaxe have blades made of pepperoni?"

Unless Tor has changed practices, major authors like Goodkind definitely get a role in approving / disapproving artwork; publisher would probably be the one with final say but it's entirely possible, depending on Goodkind's contract, that he had some degree of approval over it.

This is just incredibly unprofessional poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Isn't Terry Goodkind the guy who had the hero murder a bunch of peaceful protesters in cold blood because Iraq

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isn't Terry Goodkind the guy who had the hero murder a bunch of peaceful protesters in cold blood because Iraq

Even better, because Ayn Rand

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
All criticism of Goodkind repeats the same few points. Evil chicken lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All criticism of Goodkind repeats the same few points. Evil chicken lol

to be fair, its hard to focus on the problems with carburetor when the engine runs on farts

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
More like terry badunkind, imho.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd go as far as to say Terry Badmean.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

challenge

find a photo of terry goodkind where he doesn't look like a total tool

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Terry's very sorry the illustrator took offense and grabbed at an opportunity for shameless self-promotion, something he, of course, would never do. Obviously he meant that his publisher is terrible, not the illustrator.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/26/terry-goodkind-book-cover-shroud-of-eternity

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

challenge

find a photo of terry goodkind where he doesn't look like a total tool

I was curious so I tried

challenge failed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was curious so I tried

challenge failed

second challenge

find a non-embarrassing picture of Ernest Cline

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

second challenge

This is the closest I could get:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

This is the closest I could get:

Ceci n'est pas une Cline

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

second challenge

DO you mean a photo for which Cline *should* feel embarrassment or one for which he *would*

trick question: rich white males never feel embarassment

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DO you mean a photo for which Cline *should* feel embarrassment or one for which he *would*

trick question: rich white males never feel embarassment

one in which you as the subjective viewer feel embarrassment on his behalf

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This one is my favorite

Get in Marty, we're going 20 years in the future when Winds of Winter comes out

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

one in which you as the subjective viewer feel embarrassment on his behalf

How about embarrassment at my own relative lack of success? It's not possible for me to look at a photo of this dude without thinking "this loving dude made zillions of dollars writing a litrpg"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How about embarrassment at my own relative lack of success? It's not possible for me to look at a photo of this dude without thinking "this loving dude made zillions of dollars writing a litrpg"

Admit it, the discovery of LitRPG as a genre in general kind of broke your spirit a little

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Admit it, the discovery of LitRPG as a genre in general kind of broke your spirit a little

Why you gotta make me say it

I try so hard! *Drinks*

Need to get the new BotM thread up don't i

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just thought it was funny is that you had a long and firm rule of "don't poo poo on the genre threads" and then you found out about LitRPG and were like "No, no, feel free to poo poo all over this"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I feel your pain: if trash that's just fanfic with the names reskinned like 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight can sell and get movie deals, why... why do I even write....

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just thought it was funny is that you had a long and firm rule of "don't poo poo on the genre threads" and then you found out about LitRPG and were like "No, no, feel free to poo poo all over this"

Here's the thing:

*sways drunkenly*

Normally, my attitude towards almost anything is "hell, at least they're reading a book"

*gestures with margarita glass like a baton, the contents swirling dramatically*

but

*drinks, empties glass*

those things aren't even books they're just video games but somehow even worse

*throws glass dramatically against wall*
*glorious smashing glass*
*collapse to floor*

*snore*

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

roll a D12. 0-3 turn to page 15, 4-8 turn to page 75, 9-12 turn to page 30

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
can't wait for the movie tie-in edition of Ready Player One to come out so i can buy this dweeb Rambo edition and and put in face-out on my bookshelf

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Happy Birthday Gabriel García Márquez

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Didn't he die several years ago?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cloudchamber posted:

I don't think that necessarily disqualifies him from having a birthday.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

cloudchamber posted:

yes and he was born 91 years ago

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

Yeah but he still came to Macondo next summer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I made a thing for Firefox and Chrome if any of the rest of y'all are really loving tired of Ready Player One and want its existence to at least be more entertaining

Ready Player One Remover for Firefox

Ready Player One Remover for Chrome

it's basically Millenials to Snake People or Cloud to Butt, but it changes "Ready Player One" to "poo poo Garbage for Idiot Babies" and has a few other related wordfilters

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Wonder how many posters only know me as buttchamber.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I didn't see a thread for it, so can I ask here or is there a better place? I read a short work of fiction that was probably online and I can't find it anywhere and was hoping for help

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, so can I ask here or is there a better place? I read a short work of fiction that was probably online and I can't find it anywhere and was hoping for help

There is an identify this book/story thread around these parts

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jazz Marimba posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Thank you!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question about a point of trivia that's been nagging me lately; perhaps someone will have an idea. Philip José Farmer wrote Tarzan Alive! in 1972 and the premise of that book was that it was a non-fiction biography of the Earl of Greystoke, the real person on whom Edgar Rice Burroughs based his stories.

Something I've persistently heard in relation to this is that some readers were so convinced by it that they actually believed there was a real Tarzan and Farmer had met and interviewed him, and that some bookshops even shelved the book in the non-fiction or biography section. Is that true? Did that ever actually happen?

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had a Boy Scout leader back in the Seventies who told us about that book and said it proved that Tarzan was real. This was the same Scout leader who taught us how to shoot Lugers he had 'picked up' during the Second World War.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

to be fair, i think litrpg authors are more successful than cline in terms of sales. they say that RP1 is more properly termed 'gamelit', i think, along with all the other non-explicit-stats precursors like Killobyte.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question about a point of trivia that's been nagging me lately; perhaps someone will have an idea. Philip José Farmer wrote Tarzan Alive! in 1972 and the premise of that book was that it was a non-fiction biography of the Earl of Greystoke, the real person on whom Edgar Rice Burroughs based his stories.

Something I've persistently heard in relation to this is that some readers were so convinced by it that they actually believed there was a real Tarzan and Farmer had met and interviewed him, and that some bookshops even shelved the book in the non-fiction or biography section. Is that true? Did that ever actually happen?

I heard the same rumours, and although I don't know if they're true or not, this is the same guy who wrote a series of novels about richard burton and also made Kurt Vonnegut's fictional author Kilgore Trout publish a real book. So it would certainly be in character for him to encourage that sort of thing.. but it also sounds like the kind of thing that publishers used to like to dream up as PR stunts.

He did do exhaustive research in order to write that book, so I can see how it might be taken seriously by some, but I can't find anything that suggests a lot of people weren't in on the joke.

Orikaeshigitae fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right. With Tarzan Alive you pretend it's real because that's part of the fun. But I have a very hard time imaging anyone not being in on the joke, because of course everybody knows Tarzan is a fictional character. For what it's worth, I think Tarzan Alive is much better at it than Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life, because you can't exactly pretend Doc Savage was renting an entire floor of the Empire State Building for decades and then drop in a reference like (paraphrase), "Regrettably, Doc was out of the country when the Empire State Building was scaled by King Kong in 1933, and the Man of Bronze would ultimately never encounter the Eighth Wonder of the World," and still maintain this painstaking aura of verisimilitude you've cultivated.

I really enjoy that whole idea of shared universes like that; I like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Anno Dracula a lot. But the Wold Newton one is by far my least favourite of the three. I have a sort of nerdy appreciation for how the guys who have written on it have put a huge amount of work into these pseudo-academic articles explaining how Hannibal Smith from The A-Team is actually a distant relative of Sherlock Holmes, but at the same time, it ends up feeling even more contrived than a lot of that stuff usually is. Maybe it just ties everything together too neatly.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2018