Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

This doesn't work, though, because at that point, Beerus would probably just recruit Frieza and his army's members. Plus maybe Babidi's two non-Dabura alien lackeys. Not even Vegeta and Nappa would make the cut; they were weak compared to the rest of the army.

It would be Frieza, the Ginyu Force, Zarbon, Dodoria, and Babidi's lackeys.

Don't force time and canon into it, Freiza didn't even exist at that point, it's a what-if story where you follow the cool idea of "Wow the God of Destruction says that defeating Piccolo as a mere child means he could be the Legend, and he needs that for this true Strongest Under The Heavens tournament! Nevermind that he was there to RECRUIT Piccolo, just gank the kid."

And of course Freiza still shows up, but just him. Then you have the earth team as well and can make a lower-stakes tournament drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont desire a lower stakes tournament as all. seeing goku be pushed into nirvana and jiren finding SOME way to fight back through sheer Love Of Justice And Desire To Change The Past is incredible to me

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It'd be the same tournament. By lower stakes, I mean half the fighters can't nuke planets, and more focus on OG DB style of martial arts. Saiyan Saga levels of intensity under the backdrop of universal erasure.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
ah my mistake.

i will say tho i really like the absurd, past-cosmic level of ability that the later fighters have gotten to. they're brutalizing in divine realms now which is so fun for me to think about compared to where we've come from

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Webbeh posted:

I'm glad they reused that awesome fighting animation? :confused:

im not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Same

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Black August posted:

Don't force time and canon into it, Freiza didn't even exist at that point,

And of course Freiza still shows up,

You wanna try that again?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why would you go with post king piccolo and not post piccolo jr instead anyways? All of gokus buddies have their fight man potential more actualized

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Beerus and Whis show up during the Tree of Might (ToM™) and need some dudes for the ToP™

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Rhonne posted:

What DC hero should Mr. Satan fight? I'm thinking Booster Gold.

Mr. Satan will bribe Booster to throw the fight. Then, they should have drinks and talk about how sweet it is being fake heroes.

Mr. Satan against Ted Kord Blue Beetle?

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tbp posted:

jirens VA is incredible

and belmod's

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

an alternate history where Mr. Satan discovers ki and really becomes the strongest human

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Apparently the mayor of my hometown, based on the amount of people who have asked for it, is seriously considering setting up a giant screen downtown to play the next episode

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alternate history where planet vegeta doesn't blow up and beerus recruits goku, bardock, and turles

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

alternate history where planet vegeta doesn't blow up and beerus recruits goku, bardock, and turles

But not Raditz.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

But in this case, wouldn't Beerus also have...you know...the buff guy with no pupils?

Also, you know. Vegeta(s).

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Saiyans, according to Toriyama, have three ranks strength-wise. Low class, which Goku belongs to, which encompasses something like 99.999999% of the race. Mid class, which Nappa belongs to, of which there are ten or so at a time. High class, which consists entirely of King Vegeta and Prince Vegeta. Apparently if you power up enough you can move between classes, but those ranks are initially set at birth, suggesting that Vegeta should have a bunch more potential. What's the difference between him and Goku, that lets Goku catch up? Goku got trained by Master Roshi and King Kai.

So, AU where somehow, Master Roshi gets taken to Planet Vegeta before it gets blown up, and teaches them all the Turtle School style. Also I dunno, King Kai somehow too.

I just want to imagine an entire loving planet of Gokus, Super Gokus, and two Ultra Gokus. I find this idea completely hilarious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think you'll get your wish if Super keeps going cause Vegeta is gonna be king of all U6 Sayins pretty soon*

*If Bulma lets him

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurui Reiten posted:

Saiyans, according to Toriyama, have three ranks strength-wise. Low class, which Goku belongs to, which encompasses something like 99.999999% of the race. Mid class, which Nappa belongs to, of which there are ten or so at a time. High class, which consists entirely of King Vegeta and Prince Vegeta. Apparently if you power up enough you can move between classes, but those ranks are initially set at birth, suggesting that Vegeta should have a bunch more potential. What's the difference between him and Goku, that lets Goku catch up? Goku got trained by Master Roshi and King Kai.

So, AU where somehow, Master Roshi gets taken to Planet Vegeta before it gets blown up, and teaches them all the Turtle School style. Also I dunno, King Kai somehow too.

I just want to imagine an entire loving planet of Gokus, Super Gokus, and two Ultra Gokus. I find this idea completely hilarious.

It's not only that. Goku being trained by increasingly strong masters helped, sure, but there's also a fact that's pointed out by the series itself (by Whis right now): Goku knows how to train, Vegeta doesn't. Rather, Goku knows when to stop: he takes regular breaks instead of pushing himself when it would give no further results. Vegeta constantly tries too hard and ends up loving himself over.

Basically, it's a double thing: Goku had great masters, but even beyond punching better, Master Roshi taught him to rest (I tried searching for the Turtle School motto but couldn't find it, but you know, train well, sleep well, etc.). Vegeta trains alone until he meets Whis, and thanks to that, his training discipline is all kinds of hosed up.

Also this is completely disconnected from that but I had to share it because it is cute:

https://twitter.com/db_kansou/status/971227404793507841

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's not only that. Goku being trained by increasingly strong masters helped, sure, but there's also a fact that's pointed out by the series itself (by Whis right now): Goku knows how to train, Vegeta doesn't. Rather, Goku knows when to stop: he takes regular breaks instead of pushing himself when it would give no further results. Vegeta constantly tries too hard and ends up loving himself over.

Basically, it's a double thing: Goku had great masters, but even beyond punching better, Master Roshi taught him to rest (I tried searching for the Turtle School motto but couldn't find it, but you know, train well, sleep well, etc.). Vegeta trains alone until he meets Whis, and thanks to that, his training discipline is all kinds of hosed up.

the cell saga probably illustrates this best, goku and gohan got a lot more out of the time chamber than vegeta did

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, the instant Vegeta actually gets a teacher, he's actually keeping pace with Goku for the rest of the story. (Until Ultra Instinct anyway)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think Whis did a clean job of a retroactive but supported motion as to why that is. Vegeta trains himself to the exhaustion point, and then doesn't take proper time to R&R. While this gives him incredible gains, he also keeps capping his limits earlier than he should, making him always boost ahead and then lag behind. Goku's most true advantage over all things is the teachings of Roshi, which he repeated for the universes to all hear and see, and it has allowed Goku to flourish to divine heights. Like holy gently caress Roshi can stand in a commemorative picture with King Kai and go "We taught this fucker" and open an All Universe Divine Turtle School together. Is it any wonder that Vegeta has managed to keep stride just a step behind Goku now, beaten out only by trumps like the Kaioken, since Super started? He's finally learned R&R, and along with Whis' teachings and the understanding of more universes and Saiyan life have practically given Vegeta a divine King's myth of origin.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the best things about Dragon Ball is that Goku is the strongest not just because he's the biggest most buff dude, but because he's able to figure stuff out that the others can't. Out of the four super saiyans that trained in the time chamber, he was the only one to realize that simply bulking up wasn't the way to go. And as much as people give him poo poo for stealing other characters moves, it's pretty drat impressive for him to see a new technique, quickly figure out how it works, and then accommodate it into his fighting style.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think Goku is stronger because he is good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if there was a Dragonball era ToP would we see Kid Vegito

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

You wanna try that again?

Nah nah, come on, think. This is just a fanfic idea pieced together from Dragonball stuff to make its own apocrypha of a timeline setting. Instead of a vs Piccolo Tenkaichi, I liked the idea of keeping Kid Goku around to make it distinct. Like you reach the point in the story where Goku slays King Piccolo, and he horfs up Junior. Instead of cutting ahead to him being an adult, you take the chance to act like he really was a DEMON King Piccolo, and him being defeated is a big deal. Shrink the scale down for the story elements used - the story acts that this is big enough a deal to attract Beerus, who is suddenly gently caress-scary as a dude who can blow up massive swathes of solar systems. Bullshit a new tournament excuse - Beerus needs 10 and he's looking, he intended to get King Piccolo, oh look he's dead, hey kid are you a Saiyan? If as a kid you're powerful enough to kill him, then maybe you're the Legend I Dreamed Of, either way you're in, who are the ones you fought with, they must be strong too, oh by the way there are Super Dragon Balls.

Then you can have Goku round the whole gang, and give them whatever bullshitted amount of time you want. Maybe Beerus gives them just one day. Or a month to prepare. No more than a year. Then you can train, introduce the 10, put in a little space to make it its own thing. Then you go to the ToP, and the idea is that Freiza is there as one of the ten and the Strongest In The Universe as chosen by Beerus. Let him do his whole Namek thing but all over the ToP. Everyone is horrified, limits pushed, sacrifices, trasnsformations, instead of MUI you just get Super Saiyan but it's Kid Goku and you can make it the same nth degree jump in insanity, he bee he baw etc etc that get the idea across?

Thinking of the era, team I'd want in this alt-ToP would be Piccolo (ready to murder Goku but then falls under some degree of the Gohan Effect as the ToP goes on, and you can say he's just absurdly powerful as a reborn Daimao and stick him one under Freiza), Goku, Krillin, Roshi, Freiza, Yamcha, Tien, Chi Chi, Grandpa Gohan, and I guess last slot I keep as a wildcard. Teen Prince Vegeta would be best. But I'd want Bulma in there too maybe. She can swap for Chi Chi.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Black August posted:

Like holy gently caress Roshi can stand in a commemorative picture with King Kai and go "We taught this fucker" and open an All Universe Divine Turtle School together.

Have those two ever met, by the way? It feels like one of those things that should happen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Have those two ever met, by the way? It feels like one of those things that should happen.

Nope. Don't think Roshi's ever even been within spirit-earshot of Goku when King Kai starts talking to him.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Addendum to my idea above - to provoke the potential of the Legend, Beerus just outright one-hit kills Goku in a challenge fight right after telling him to go see King Kai, and that he'd be wished back before the ToP begins. Just for the excuse and Kaioken.

But no, they haven't, and I wished they had as I wrote that post.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

But in this case, wouldn't Beerus also have...you know...the buff guy with no pupils?

Also, you know. Vegeta(s).

the joke was that there'd be 3 goku's

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this is completely disconnected from that but I had to share it because it is cute:

poo poo, any excuse to post it, I guess

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sockser posted:

poo poo, any excuse to post it, I guess

Roshi knows exactly what he is doing. That's his style for you if you're 2 or 2,000,000 old. Or strong. I bet Beerus would actually really enjoy his style.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Black August posted:

I think Whis did a clean job of a retroactive but supported motion as to why that is. Vegeta trains himself to the exhaustion point, and then doesn't take proper time to R&R. While this gives him incredible gains, he also keeps capping his limits earlier than he should, making him always boost ahead and then lag behind. Goku's most true advantage over all things is the teachings of Roshi, which he repeated for the universes to all hear and see, and it has allowed Goku to flourish to divine heights. Like holy gently caress Roshi can stand in a commemorative picture with King Kai and go "We taught this fucker" and open an All Universe Divine Turtle School together. Is it any wonder that Vegeta has managed to keep stride just a step behind Goku now, beaten out only by trumps like the Kaioken, since Super started? He's finally learned R&R, and along with Whis' teachings and the understanding of more universes and Saiyan life have practically given Vegeta a divine King's myth of origin.

vegeta learned the most powerful martial arts technique: having some chill

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

The camera pans around to show a row of universes being obliterated.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Yinlock posted:

vegeta learned the most powerful martial arts technique:

Do as the woman says.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kurui Reiten posted:

Class is clearly a social construct.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I really want any of the games to have an alternate story where Dr. Gero never joins Red Ribbon and dedicates his life to the progress of mankind.

He fends off Frieza and Majin Buu with his androids. Beerus comes to have a fight with a good Cell that kept getting more cells spliced into him.

The arc culminates with them getting invited to watch the ToP, but not participate in it cause due to Dr. Gero's inventions improving everyone's quality of life they moved up to the universe with the highest mortal level.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/herms98/status/971356938880471041?s=21

ADTRW > Dragon Ball Super Thread: A Farewell to Kamehamehas

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Wow can't believe Freeza is going to kill Goku in the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Goku transcends mortality and goes odd with the gods or something