Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

zamasu also had fun bits, like the evil hug and sitting around in their cabin retreat drinking tea. His huge ego and him just losing it because these god drat mortals keep getting in the way of his plans was great.

He was a smart competent villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Did Jiren get the evil hug?

No, Jiren did not get the evil hug.

Jiren did not even get a justice hug.

Jiren is inferior.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheKingofSprings posted:

We knew that though?

After Super ends we’re getting a movie then another series

I haven't seen anything that confirms we were getting another series after the movie other than "well they'd be stupid not to"

Pureauthor posted:

Did Jiren get the evil hug?

No, Jiren did not get the evil hug.

Jiren did not even get a justice hug.

Jiren is inferior.

Maybe that's why jiren is such an rear end in a top hat, he just wants a hug but everyone who would have hugged him was murdered.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zamasu had a conversation with himself where he acknowledged that he made flowery speeches even when he knew no one was listening, simply because he loved to hear himself talk. And that it was a truly god-like thing to do.

Zamasu was amazing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zamasu is unironically one of my top Dragon Ball villains, he's got way more going for him than Cell and any of Buu's forms.

Jiren has stage presence but his personality and agenda is a wet fart in comparison.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Zamasu arc in general had a lot more character to it, it feels like.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zamasu winning is canon.

Zeno retconning is simultaneously also canon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

The Zamasu arc in general had a lot more character to it, it feels like.

Becasue for all its pacing issues, the Goku Black arc was about Goku and Gang vs Goku Black and his best friend, himself, so all the characters get a lot of focus. (Plus, fair enough, the main antagonists also have way more character)

The ToP has been run as a MotW show where enemies obediently line up to be clowned on by Universe 7 one after the other.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Becasue for all its pacing issues, the Goku Black arc was about Goku and Gang vs Goku Black and his best friend, himself, so all the characters get a lot of focus. (Plus, fair enough, the main antagonists also have way more character)

The ToP has been run as a MotW show where enemies obediently line up to be clowned on by Universe 7 one after the other.

It also had future trunks back. It was fun seeing him interact with the mainline characters again and seeing happier times. The scenes in which he interacts with adult gohan are some of the best character work in the series.

I still like ToP because it has a lot of great moments, but the Zamasu arc seems to have flowed better.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Probably the neatest thing about Zamasu is that he isn't a I'M SO EVIL villain in the anime. He's completely convinced he's the good guy and what he's doing is right and the best thing not only for himself but for all universes.

The manga heavily dials up his evil but in the anime I can fully believe that he's deluded enough to think that total annihilation of mortals and failed gods is for the best. Because he's right, obviously.

Fusions also gives all his forms the Pure Heart skill, they're all immune to the Devilmite Beam.

With Jiren I'm not sure how I'm meant to see him. In the manga he's clearly a hero, but in the anime he's self-centered and his values are all over the place.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the last episode is going to be good because of <spoiler> but also going to absolutely suck

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh, that's interesting to know. Though I am curious if the plot beat that Goku went too far in his punchmans addiction and caused the ToP was also from Toriyama. And whether it was also Toriyama or the anime writers who decided to backpedal on that.

Pureauthor posted:

It also helps that while the arc had pacing issues, every episode either built up on the mystery of Goku Black, moved the plot along, or had character development for the characters.

On the other hand, the ToP is just one long tournament arc and there's really no ongoing plot or even a sub-plot to help mix things up.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Remember when we all thought there was sure to be a Trunks, Marron and Goten filler episode?

:smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair people would have hated it had that happened.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest if it meant the other episodes were paced better, I would have been fine with a two parter of them fighting off poachers.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY
This scene came to my mind while reading this.

Sometimes when Toei consulted Toriyama the chicken landed on "cool girlfriend for Braly", some other times it landed on "stoic with default shonen protagonist backstory".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Writing new characters in suddenly is a Dragonball Z tradition going back to the Android arc.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair people would have hated it had that happened.

wrong

well, I suppose there are some broke brained people that would have, so sort of correct but mostly wrong

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
the thing isn't gonna have enough time to wrap up as it is, let alone if it had filler like that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

the thing isn't gonna have enough time to wrap up as it is, let alone if it had filler like that

What if they cut out the Tien and U4 episodes and replaced them with poacher punching?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not getting this thread's poacher fetish to be honest, the premise overstayed its welcome in 17's two-parter. How many more poachers do we need?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 9, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Probably the neatest thing about Zamasu is that he isn't a I'M SO EVIL villain in the anime. He's completely convinced he's the good guy and what he's doing is right and the best thing not only for himself but for all universes.

I mean, sort of. He sincerely believes in what he's doing. It's just that he also believes that he is the best and the coolest and the only person who really has any business existing in the first place.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

multijoe posted:

I'm getting getting this thread's poacher fetish to be honest, the premise overstayed its welcome in 17's two-parter. How many more poachers do we need?

I'm pretty sure we're all just yearning for something other than a straight up tournament for 30 episodes and that's the most obvious thing that comes to mind. We'd probably all be happy with anything else just as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want Krillin and Yamcha as crime fighters, while keeping Yamcha as a professional baseball player on the side.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did toryiama think it was a good idea not to give toei a description of the antagonists personality....

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

multijoe posted:

I'm not getting this thread's poacher fetish to be honest, the premise overstayed its welcome in 17's two-parter. How many more poachers do we need?

I just want to see if Marron is secretly a Combat Monster like the rest of them because she inherited 18's nanomachine horseshit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure we're all just yearning for something other than a straight up tournament for 30 episodes and that's the most obvious thing that comes to mind. We'd probably all be happy with anything else just as well.

Yeah a 'Meanwhile, Yamcha' episode or something would have been a good breather but I'd rather take a mediocre mainline episode over mediocre filler given the choice, god knows we had enough of those between the Exhibition Match mini-arc and actual start of the ToP.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

slice of life episodes are some of the best. so Marron punching a poacher into a fine mist could've been awesome

edit: speaking of, Marron should be like, crazy strong by dbz standards, right? Krillin is the strongest human, and 18 is above SSJ levels, using lamarckian dbz bullshit, that's gotta result in a crazy strong little girl. Chi-chi, Bulma, and Videl aren't that strong, so Marron should be on course for like, GoD+ level strong

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 9, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stairmaster posted:

why did toryiama think it was a good idea not to give toei a description of the antagonists personality....

He did in the case of Jiren, it’s just not a personality the fans wanted.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Slightly Absurd posted:

slice of life episodes are some of the best. so Marron punching a poacher into a fine mist could've been awesome

edit: speaking of, Marron should be like, crazy strong by dbz standards, right? Krillin is the strongest human, and 18 is above SSJ levels, using lamarckian dbz bullshit, that's gotta result in a crazy strong little girl. Chi-chi, Bulma, and Videl aren't that strong, so Marron should be on course for like, GoD+ level strong

she's never trained and not a saiyan, and she's already grown a few years without showing any interest at all in fighting, so she's likely not got any strength at all, just potential. Also, 18's limitless energy is a function of her cybernetic modification, so it's likely not hereditary.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CharlestheHammer posted:

He did in the case of Jiren, it’s just it’s not a personality the fans wanted.

tbf he did it after the fact. But yeah he eventually gave them some semblence of backstory, at least.

I still think Jiren works the way the anime has had him, but now I'm curious what ToP would like if he had Toppo's personality like Toei originally planned. I wonder what Toppo's personality as prospective GoD would be without the justice and posing boner.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

esperterra posted:

tbf he did it after the fact. But yeah he eventually gave them some semblence of backstory, at least.

I still think Jiren works the way the anime has had him, but now I'm curious what ToP would like if he had Toppo's personality like Toei originally planned. I wonder what Toppo's personality as prospective GoD would be without the justice and posing boner.

I meant stoic.

That’s a personality, not a terribly interesting one but it still counts.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CharlestheHammer posted:

I meant stoic.

That’s a personality, not a terribly interesting one but it still counts.

I know what you meant, I'm just saying he told them he wasn't a talker AFTER they had gotten his design with no personality and came up with one on their own. He told 'em, but he waited a bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh I thought you were talking about his backstory.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah I just worded it like an idiot lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Absurd posted:

she doesn't have s-cells so lamarckian dbz bullshit does not apply

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

she's never trained and not a saiyan, and she's already grown a few years without showing any interest at all in fighting, so she's likely not got any strength at all, just potential. Also, 18's limitless energy is a function of her cybernetic modification, so it's likely not hereditary.

Kild posted:

she doesn't have s-cells so lamarckian dbz bullshit does not apply

Fair points. Plus ultimately, I doubt Toriyama/Toei give a poo poo about her, so that really snuffs out any chance of her being as cool as she should be

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kashuno posted:

looking forward to the last episode basically moving at double speed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
last episode is gonna be like 1/4 the final fight, 1/4 people reacting from the stands, 1/4 twist, then 1/4 showing everyone back on earth having a jolly good time but Goku is probably not there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJE2pWeydTo

Goku doesn't understand money. Chi Chi is excited "Sure, go away Goku and train, just stop by every now and then. Now I can afford to send Goten to the best schools." So Chi Chi is resigned to Goku being an absentee father and Goku doesn't get it.

Vegeta is a better family man. Mr. Satan is legit stand up dude helping Gohan and Videl and giving the money to Goku.