Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I've been listening to the Horus Heresy books in order during my commute, and just finished Fulgrim. I've been enjoying them so far, and I know that the OP mentions that the rest vary in quality, then lists the good/decent books. Are the rest not worth getting, or are they just mediocre but readable? Are there any that should be skipped and are just plain bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
[Insert Battle for the Abyss joke here]

Everything by Aaron Dembski Bowden and Dan Abnett is good, the rest vary from agressively mediocre to decent, ask here in a case-by-case basis.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

[Insert Battle for the Abyss joke here]

Everything by Aaron Dembski Bowden and Dan Abnett is good, the rest vary from agressively mediocre to decent, ask here in a case-by-case basis.

I guess I'm interested most in the Dark Angels books and whether after the first three novels I'm able to skip books/read things out of order without losing continuity in the story. Would I be able to just read the DA books plus those listed in the OP without losing anything, or do are they set up by other books?

Related, how is Legacy of Caliban?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I finished Tallarn recently and on reflection I think I like it. It's a little weird at first since the first two sections aren't a continuous story with the third or each other, but they provide a look at what's going on with different people in the battle. The third section is really good and I liked the ~4 different narratives going on and being interwoven to an extent with each other. The Assassin section was the best of each chapter in my opinion, and there were a number of neat turns.

Recently got in Dan Abnett's Fell Cargo, so looking forward to reading that next. I paused for a second when I picked up the package because it seemed freakin' tiny, but it's still 251 pages - it's just that it was printed in 2006 and is one of those small books, small text things rather than the huge BL books we have now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

I finished Tallarn recently and on reflection I think I like it. It's a little weird at first since the first two sections aren't a continuous story with the third or each other, but they provide a look at what's going on with different people in the battle. The third section is really good and I liked the ~4 different narratives going on and being interwoven to an extent with each other. The Assassin section was the best of each chapter in my opinion, and there were a number of neat turns.

Recently got in Dan Abnett's Fell Cargo, so looking forward to reading that next. I paused for a second when I picked up the package because it seemed freakin' tiny, but it's still 251 pages - it's just that it was printed in 2006 and is one of those small books, small text things rather than the huge BL books we have now.

Hamhandbooks for Hamhandhavers.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The DA heresy books suck but if you like DA not bad as one shots

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Missed out on Titanicus over the years so when I saw it today in the Hachette hardbacks I grabbed the gently caress out of it. Abnett collection complete :getin:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Rereading Pariah hot on the heels of actually finishing the Ravenor series, and goddamn there's a ton of stuff I missed when I first picked it up.

is the maze undue on a chaos planet, or is it just all hosed up and warpy because of the webway portal?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Finished up the Beast Arises series and now enjoying Talon of Horus. I like to spread out ADB and Abnett books between some of the lesser books I read. Also finished Reiksguard (starting on Iron Company) and it was a well written fantasy piece. I’ve only read a few of the fantasy staples (Sword of Justice/Vengeance), but it’s cool to see characters that span across multiple storylines and I know the geography thanks to Total War.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Immanentized posted:

Rereading Pariah hot on the heels of actually finishing the Ravenor series, and goddamn there's a ton of stuff I missed when I first picked it up.

is the maze undue on a chaos planet, or is it just all hosed up and warpy because of the webway portal?

"Steampunk Jane Austen with better guns" is kinda Abnett's idiom.

:shrug:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey gang. When last I asked, we worked out that Carcharodons Astra were Raven Guard exiled by Corax for savagery back in the day, but now I've gotten in argument on facebook, where people says Red Tithe by a guy named Robbie Macniven reveal them to be Night Lords.

Confirm/deny?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

Hey gang. When last I asked, we worked out that Carcharodons Astra were Raven Guard exiled by Corax for savagery back in the day, but now I've gotten in argument on facebook, where people says Red Tithe by a guy named Robbie Macniven reveal them to be Night Lords.

Confirm/deny?

They're pretty firmly Raven Guard these days. There was a big expose in the fw black books that covers it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Confirm/deny?

Having read that book I’d be curious to hear what this person thinks made such a clear revelation about their origins.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Tias posted:

Confirm/deny?

Robbie Macniven has been stirring the pot on this on facebook and that his trilogy will explore there origins when people bring up the raven guard stuff he says if thats the case its not the whole story.

Actual sources that are not facebook posts
1. The original imperial army books that covered the badab war said they were either raven guard or night lords descendants.

2. Sevetar's crazy shark dreams where he decides he has to become an avatar of justice and seek out the enemies of man where they live.

3. The FW black books that link the exiled terran raven guard to the space sharks via ship names and some titles.

4. Red tithe has a demon saying that the space sharks are the long lost brothers of the night lords legion and that there is some link between the librarian in the book and the chaos sorcerer. (lol listening to demons) The 3rd Captain is also referred to as having some kinda genetic history that was different than the others whether thats the previous owner of his geneseed or that the whole of the space sharks is several different kinds of geneseed is for sure hinted at.

5. Raven Guard and Night Lords have weirdly overlapping features and its not clear whats from geneseed and whats from growing up on nostromo neither Kurze nor Corax seemed to have pupils and were deathly pale and so were the marines that came from them.

6. They have Ursas Claws on their ships so that someone always pops up and says that they are just world eaters who have been out in the depths of space too long and it was angron that sent them away for not taking the butchers nails despite even less lore being there to support this than the night lords theory. (this is the minotaurs whole deal anyway)

7. This one is kinda a reach but the imperial army books also state that the space sharks gene seed is incredibly pure of which the raven guard gene seed is most definitely not (post corax loving around with it atleast), The lore is always pushing that the night lords gene seed for whatever reason is up there in purity and stability with the ultramarines despite being traitors.

TLDR right now they are pretty clear cut raven guard descendants but not everyone was on the same page with that message over the years i think.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 11, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It’s better if they’re both. Some Loyalist Night Lords and some renegade Ravenguard go AWOL because they’d rather gently caress up some xenos than fight each other would make a good story.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think the latest theory was that they were Raven Guard who stole a bunch of Night Lords geneseed because they didn't have much of their own on account of both Istvaan V and being a weird exiled splinter company.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VanSandman posted:

It’s better if they’re both. Some Loyalist Night Lords and some renegade Ravenguard go AWOL because they’d rather gently caress up some xenos than fight each other would make a good story.

A forbidden love story between a Night Lord battle brother on the run, and an exiled Raven Guard Captain tod one brutally tortured civilian at a time!

Watch as they fight against Imperials, a decadent 3rd Legion, and even a few xenos scum! All while they try and build a new chapter, new home, and perhaps... a new family?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I think the latest theory was that they were Raven Guard who stole a bunch of Night Lords geneseed because they didn't have much of their own on account of both Istvaan V and being a weird exiled splinter company.

The Carcharodon Astra are specifically known for stealing everything that wasn't nailed down when they're leaving a system (Red Tithe for personnel, Grey Tithe for materiel), so it would almost be surprising if they hadn't snagged some Gene Seed over the.years to supplement their numbers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are the Death Korps of Krieg actually created through cloning, or is that just how people refer to the "Born and bred specifically to kill" mindset that they tend to be portrayed with? And if they're actually clones, have there been any Space Marine chapters that used similar technology to keep their numbers up?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randalor posted:

Are the Death Korps of Krieg actually created through cloning, or is that just how people refer to the "Born and bred specifically to kill" mindset that they tend to be portrayed with? And if they're actually clones, have there been any Space Marine chapters that used similar technology to keep their numbers up?

I don't think it's ever made super clear, but I think it's more like artificial wombs.

And they are literally born only to kill, Kreig is all hosed up because the leader of the planet declared it independent and a local Guard commander fired all the Atomic weapons on the planet on the principle that Krieg would belong to the Emperor or no one. As punishment for that whole mess the Imperium decided that Krieg only exists to supply troops. They take as many people as possible. If it weren't for the mass production of humans Krieg does there wouldn't be anyone left.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Randalor posted:

As far as I remember, full on cloning (as in creating actual people) is verboten. Cloning tissue, or essentially brain dead clones for making servitors and such is okay.
Krieg is exempt from this (maybe. It's always just sort of implied) because producing incredibly zealous guardsmen is the only thing that irradiated mudball is good for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randalor posted:

The Kriegers are kind of vague. They are referred to as being born in Vitae-Wombs (I think that's what they're called?), but it is unclear if these are like 40K Cloning facilities ala Star Wars, or if they are closer to Honsou's rape baby factory Daemonculaba. Personally I see them as being vat babies grown by taking eggs and sperm from men and women and putting them into the vitae-womb which will grow the child without putting half the potential military personnel out of action to bring a child to term.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Kriegers are kind of vague. They are referred to as being born in Vitae-Wombs (I think that's what they're called?), but it is unclear if these are like 40K Cloning facilities ala Star Wars, or if they are closer to Honsou's rape baby factory Daemonculaba. Personally I see them as being vat babies grown by taking eggs and sperm from men and women and putting them into the vitae-womb which will grow the child without putting half the potential military personnel out of action to bring a child to term.

That does sound the most likely.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Groetgaffel posted:

That does sound the most likely.

Yeah I don't see GW going all-in on a Bene Tleilax analogue these days.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zasze posted:

TLDR right now they are pretty clear cut raven guard descendants but not everyone was on the same page with that message over the years i think.

The Badab War books also said the Carchies did have impurities in their gene seed, so either not everyone got the message or that changed.

But it's a plot point in the Horus Heresy stuff that the Night Lords and the pre-Corax Raven Guard (then known as the Pale Nomads) were shockingly similar. Corax himself admitted that it was all too easy to imagine Curze staying loyal and Corax turning traitor, and that realization is what made Corax work so hard to save the soul of his legion.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks for the answers! A bunch of chuds on the Imperial Fists facebook group says they read red tithe and that says explicitly that they're night lord, but maybe they just can't read or something.

Groetgaffel posted:

As far as I remember, full on cloning (as in creating actual people) is verboten. Cloning tissue, or essentially brain dead clones for making servitors and such is okay.
Krieg is exempt from this (maybe. It's always just sort of implied) because producing incredibly zealous guardsmen is the only thing that irradiated mudball is good for.

It's a canon conflict nowadays, but I'm pretty sure servitors used to be only mindwiped criminals who then became increasingly more zombie-like because they were just bioniced back together when they were destroyed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tias posted:

Thanks for the answers! A bunch of chuds on the Imperial Fists facebook group says they read red tithe and that says explicitly that they're night lord, but maybe they just can't read or something.

It's a canon conflict nowadays, but I'm pretty sure servitors used to be only mindwiped criminals who then became increasingly more zombie-like because they were just bioniced back together when they were destroyed.

in Carrion Throne they explicitly say servitors are mindwiped criminals.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Biplane posted:

It's supposedly the same in 41K, but some writers have suggested they can be created as well( especially praetorians and the like).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

I think its one of the Ciaphas Cain novels where it heavily implies that Imperial Guardsmen who are too badly injured or mentally scarred can also be turned into servitors. There's a comment about how one of the largest hospitals for imperial guardsmen is also one of the largest producers of servitors.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Randalor posted:

I think its one of the Ciaphas Cain novels where it heavily implies that Imperial Guardsmen who are too badly injured or mentally scarred can also be turned into servitors. There's a comment about how one of the largest hospitals for imperial guardsmen is also one of the largest producers of servitors.

I remember that. I also remember an older ham novel where I think its said that guardsmen/civilians exposed to chaos can be servitored. I guess in an empire of a million+ star systems anything can (and probably will) happen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Biplane posted:

I remember that. I also remember an older ham novel where I think its said that guardsmen/civilians exposed to chaos can be servitored. I guess in an empire of a million+ star systems anything can (and probably will) happen.

Heresy and Tek-heresy are the crimes most often punished with servitordom.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does the fluff still say that some worlds are uncorrupted paradises that have no idea there is a 10,000 year long war going on?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Depends on your definition. There are pleasure worlds so opulent that they're kept around solely for making high-ranking dignitaries happy, and while they surely know how bad it is out there( they get a lot of tourists after all), they can't really relate - a lot like living in the west today on Earth, outside of military service.

Also, there are still worlds completely cut off by the inquisition, cordoned off from the outside world. While most are dead worlds or solely populated by the infected and insane, they could in principle be called untouched.

I guess Eldar maiden worlds count as well, but in this case the blissfully ignorant are exodite eldar.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tias posted:

Imperial Fists facebook group

Problem found?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Tias posted:

Imperial Fists facebook group

It better be well-secured.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone remember the name of any Inquisitors confirmed dead during the Thracian Atrocity?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone remember the name of any Inquisitors confirmed dead during the Thracian Atrocity?

I've been re-reading it so I've just checked that part. The only named inquisitor to die is Roban and it's in the aftermath, not during the atrocity itself.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

a lovely king posted:

I've been re-reading it so I've just checked that part. The only named inquisitor to die is Roban and it's in the aftermath, not during the atrocity itself.

:cheers:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

a lovely king posted:

Eisenhorn shot Volke didn't he? Or does that not count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Immanentized posted:

Eisenhorn shot Volke didn't he? Or does that not count?

No. He nearly shoots himself and Voke saves him but he doesn't shoot anyone else.