Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah but i don't understand why the humour invalidates any of that. i think the humour forms a crucial part of the pathos that makes the book so good. just like ~~~ulysses~~~ or ~~~gravity's rainbow~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well sure, but at the same time its about a family with an estranged father who commits to a pilgrimage in the belief that grief has finally redeemed him. Taking Addie's body is as much a tribute to Addie as it is an expression of faith that Anse might be changed by the weight of his loss. Due to their own ignorance, each character by the end is destroyed except for Anse, who reveals to his new ruined family that he still remained the selfish person he always was.

It feels dehumanizing to look at the book and go "look at the zany misadventures these crazy hillbillies get into"

I don't think that it has to be one or the other. I think it's possible to acknowledge a character's tragic flaws and empathizing with their plight, while also being able to laugh with them and at them. I agree with your distinction that it shouldn't be considered a "comedy", like say Confederacy of Dunces, but to say that it can't have darkly comic moments because it explores dark/heavy themes seems to limit the entire experience and ignores how subjective humor is, especially to a modern audience, and to an extent the writer's abilities.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah but i don't understand why the humour invalidates any of that. i think the humour forms a crucial part of the pathos that makes the book so good. just like ~~~ulysses~~~ or ~~~gravity's rainbow~~~

These also came to mind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Foul Fowl posted:

Well yeah, but there is a fundamental difference between approaching a book while acknowledging moments of humor and declaring the optimal reading of the book is one in which humor is primary outcome

Franchescanado posted:

I agree with your distinction that it shouldn't be considered a "comedy", like say Confederacy of Dunces, but to say that it can't have darkly comic moments because it explores dark/heavy themes

I never said that though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't understand, the difference between a comedy and a tragedy isn't laughs, it's whether or not everyone is dead at the end

Also tragic protagonists are usually royalty, that's a rule

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't understand, the difference between a comedy and a tragedy isn't laughs, it's whether or not everyone is dead at the end

Also tragic protagonists are usually royalty, that's a rule

don't you have a 6th century folk tale to be pedantic about somewhere else fucker

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a copy of The Recognitions and im gonna read it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't you have a 6th century folk tale to be pedantic about somewhere else fucker

Harsh, but fair

Still, trollin' my way towards a larger point there: it's somewhat pedantic to say any modern complex work "is" a tragedy or "is" a comedy; those kinds of strict genre distinctions arent' really coherent when applied to authors like Faulkner (or Kafka), they only make sense for works that actually fit within such strictures (Aristotelian plays; episodes of Frasier; whatever). If you read Faulkner and ignore either the tragic or comic elements you're missing a huge chunk of the work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What brought this up is a teacher saying that As I Lay Dying should be read as a dark comedy. Probably not the best perspective to try and convey to a new reader. However, at least the students are now aware that the book has comedic moments and can get more out of it than if they were to think everything is dreadfully serious and they shouldn't laugh or feel anything beyond sadness or the meditations of grief or whatever.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i dont think hes saying that there arent comedic elements to AILD but just that reducing the whole pathos of it to "this whole thing is supposed to be funny" is an oversimplification

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
books are just words man

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i dont think hes saying that there arent comedic elements to AILD but just that reducing the whole pathos of it to "this whole thing is supposed to be funny" is an oversimplification

Yeah. I agree, it's a weird oversimplification. I guess my point is, that, despite the oversimplification, it still conveys an aspect of the book that a student may just not get. There's a lot of people that don't think literature can be funny, and act like it's weird to say stories like Pride & Prejudice or some other classic is quite humorous.

This also reminded me of my teacher who said Moby Dick was a comedy and a satire.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 15, 2018

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Some people think they look smarter if they claim to find complex literary works simply "funny."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. I agree, it's a weird oversimplification. I guess my point is, that, despite the oversimplification, it still conveys an aspect of the book that a student may just not get. There's a lot of people that don't think literature can be funny, and act like it's weird to say stories like Pride & Prejudice or some other classic is quite humorous.

This also reminded me of my teacher who said Moby Dick was a comedy and a satire.

The humor in Moby-Dick is mostly situational. I personally found the idea of Ishmael sitting around musing about things humorous simply because for as long as the book is, 90% of the time he's generally sitting around staring at nothing in the hopes of seeing a whale, so the gravity with which he discusses the prospect of whaling being formulated against a backdrop of being stuck on a loving boat has an air of being at least amusing. Plus I actually laughed out loud at the incredibly grave scene of Queequeg dying of a fever and having his custom coffin built and then at the very last second he remembers he had some business to attend to and just instantly recovers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Now I'm picturing a man reading a book and all of a sudden laughing loudly at the book, in a public place

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

The humor in Moby-Dick is mostly situational. I personally found the idea of Ishmael sitting around musing about things humorous simply because for as long as the book is, 90% of the time he's generally sitting around staring at nothing in the hopes of seeing a whale, so the gravity with which he discusses the prospect of whaling being formulated against a backdrop of being stuck on a loving boat has an air of being at least amusing. Plus I actually laughed out loud at the incredibly grave scene of Queequeg dying of a fever and having his custom coffin built and then at the very last second he remembers he had some business to attend to and just instantly recovers.

Yeah, Moby Dick has humor, it was just another example of oversimplifying a book, like Moby Dick, a book with comedy, as just a comedy.

Shibawanko posted:

Now I'm picturing a man reading a book and all of a sudden laughing loudly at the book, in a public place

It's me. I'm that man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shibawanko posted:

if you have never done this: lol, just lol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

if you have never done this: lol, just lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shibawanko posted:

I was in my bedroom

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Heath posted:

Yeah but you won't finish it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heath posted:

blue squares posted:

Yeah but you won't finish it

I've splattered off it so many times I'm thinking about just giving it up.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

read all of the recognitions it's very good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Speaking of funny books, Recognitions is very funny. And if you don't finish it I hope your copy falls off its shelf and breaks your toe.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

About half of the Recognitions went over my head and the other half was amazing and darkly hysterical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i admit i hadnt heard of it so i looked it up and lol whoever wrote this on the wikipedia: "Like James Joyce, he uses an em-dash to mark the beginning of speech, not standard quotation marks. He leaves it up to the reader to deduce who is talking by the speaking style, other behavior or attributes of the speaker, or the context."

im pretty sure most books ive read are written like that, wtf

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
looks interesting but im not reading any more books over 400 pages long this year. havent posted a dumb opinion in a while so here you go friends: books should just not be that long. its kind of hard not to find it arrogant to write a book that long imo. how many words do you really need to say what you're trying to say, and how much is self indulgence?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

honestly I'm getting real tired of long books too. Whatever happened to book lengths like The Stranger, or The Bridge of San Luis Rey? Those are real good imo.

I guess part of it is perceived value for money. not a lot of people want to pay 15 bucks for 120 pages... Luckily I have a bunch of short story collections i bought for virtually nothing used (lots of glimmer train, some randoms) so I use them to buffer the bricks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There are plenty of short contemporary novels so perhaps your issue is a lack of diversity

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbf I just passed up on a Saunders collection at my local bookstore the other day because it was super thin (maybe approx 100 pages?) but still $15 which seemed excessive. I still bought Lincoln in the Bardo for the BotM and then found The Face of Another by Abe in their sale section.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking through the library's shelf of books removed from the collection. Nothing grabbed my eye until I spotted a translation of Sophocles's Antigone.

I grabbed at it so fast that it was embarrassing. It wasn't like there was anyone else there who was going to take it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I was looking through the library's shelf of books removed from the collection. Nothing grabbed my eye until I spotted a translation of Sophocles's Antigone.

I grabbed at it so fast that it was embarrassing. It wasn't like there was anyone else there who was going to take it.

There was a used book store that converted to a record store in town, and they just dumped all their old stock on the street in boxes labelled free

I got some loving good poo poo from those boxes

Guy A. Person posted:

tbf I just passed up on a Saunders collection at my local bookstore the other day because it was super thin (maybe approx 100 pages?) but still $15 which seemed excessive. I still bought Lincoln in the Bardo for the BotM and then found The Face of Another by Abe in their sale section.

Extrapolating the value of a novel by how long it takes to read it is the definition of pervasive capitalism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There are plenty of short contemporary novels so perhaps your issue is a lack of diversity

recommend some then, ya :argh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Extrapolating the value of a novel by how long it takes to read it is the definition of pervasive capitalism

Yeah no duh, I'm not saying I ain't pervaded by capitalism

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

im pretty sure most books ive read are written like that, wtf

I would say quotation marks are common. I believe emdashing is a French thing.
Also derf can gently caress off, as usual.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

recommend some then, ya :argh:

Solar Bones
What Belongs to You
Grief is the Thing with Feathers
Signs Preceding the End of the World
The Last Wolf
The Story of my Teeth
A Brief History of Portable Literature
Train Dreams
Every Day is for the Thief

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 16, 2018

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah no duh, I'm not saying I ain't pervaded by capitalism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Solar Bones
What Belongs to You
Grief is the Thing with Feathers
Signs Preceding the End of the World
The Last Wolf
The Story of my Teeth
A Brief History of Portable Literature
Train Dreams
Every Day is for the Thief

nice! thx :)

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Speaking of overly long books, I just finished a re-read of 2666. There’s an off-handed moment in the final part, where Archimboldi describes the punishment of Sisyphus as being a distraction from which his ingenuity will allow him to escape. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I feel like there’s a lot going on in that moment.

Bolaño is so good at conveying moods. Before this I hadn’t really thought about him since 2010 or so, so it’s crazy to see he still has “new” books coming out. I picked up The Third Reich, hoping to get around to reading it soon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How does someone have "new" stuff when he's been dead fifteen years?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

How does someone have "new" stuff when he's been dead fifteen years?

He was crazy obscure until Savage Detectives so people are still translating his backlog

Just like Laszlo K just had a hard back release of a book from the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What, you mean you don't all read in the Spanish?