Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Yeah, before the child psyker makes him turn the gun on himself, the psyker forces him to shoot a space marine, which is probably what you're thinking of. The gun fails on the first try, then Voke shows up and saves him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, before the child psyker makes him turn the gun on himself, the psyker forces him to shoot a space marine, which is probably what you're thinking of. The gun fails on the first try, then Voke shows up and saves him.

That was it, I only have the audiobook handy and had listened to that scene right before I posted. Thanks for the corrections!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When the Emperor gave Kurze his legion, and then said "all the new people will come from Nostramo" why wasn't Kurze just like, I'm good. Can I just have more dudes from Terra?

It's not like the World Eaters started taking novitiates from the slavery world, so clearly it was on option.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Kurze thought he had "cured" Nostromo so why wouldn't he recruit from his world?

Or he knew that poo poo was going to go down and he couldn't change it so why fight fate?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
God being a world eater has to be so rough. Like you're a little kid on terra, you get picked, go through the pipeline like In white scars and you get shipped off the loving world eaters and they jam some barbaric poo poo in your brain and your the only legion whose primary hates you

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

When the Emperor gave Kurze his legion, and then said "all the new people will come from Nostramo" why wasn't Kurze just like, I'm good. Can I just have more dudes from Terra?

It's not like the World Eaters started taking novitiates from the slavery world, so clearly it was on option.

Wasn't Curze's reaction to the emperor basically "gently caress you dad, I'm not Konrad, I'm Night Haunter", possibly while also blaring Evanescense and Linkin Park? It could also be that people recruited from Nostromo would already have some degree of respect and/or fear of him to help keep them in line.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waroduce posted:

God being a world eater has to be so rough. Like you're a little kid on terra, you get picked, go through the pipeline like In white scars and you get shipped off the loving world eaters and they jam some barbaric poo poo in your brain and your the only legion whose primary hates you

Meanwhile you join the iron warriors if you like RTS games and there's only a 10% chance you will be executed for incompetence by Pert because he's upset that his dad doesn't like his architecture.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Randalor posted:

Wasn't Curze's reaction to the emperor basically "gently caress you dad, I'm not Konrad, I'm Night Haunter", possibly while also blaring Evanescense and Linkin Park? It could also be that people recruited from Nostromo would already have some degree of respect and/or fear of him to help keep them in line.

I always figured Kurze was stuck in a self fulfilling prophecy since he had a vision that nearly killed him with the emperor ordering his death when they first met.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Fluff question for an RPG group:

My Dark Heresy players just drove into an Eldar Webway portal after the group Psyker activated the gate and told the gateway to 'Take them back to the ship'. The Psyker did not have Forbidden Knowledge Xenos, and therefore did not realize that Eldar Webway gates require gates on the entrance and exit, and therefore had no possibility of working as intended. The players did, and realized this was pretty much going to go badly, but it would have been worse to stick around (the planet surface was glassed minutes after their escape).

So. Where should I send them? And what are some reasonable side effects for flying through the Webway in a sanctified cargo van (or, for the 2-3 dozen guardsmen following them who couldn't fit in the van, flying through completely unprotected)?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

susan posted:

So. Where should I send them?

Commorragh.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Calastar right in the loving middle of the raging battle between custodians and daemons.

Alternatively have them appear on Titan and be all like..... this isn't where I parked my car....we'll just be going nowm...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I need some recommendations. I have read all of the HH series, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Pariah, Gods of Mars, Night Lords, Watchers of the Throne, Carrion Throne, Dark Imperium, Talon/Black Legion, and Titanicus. Also planning on grabbing Magos. What else is good in 40k? I just started 40/30k last summer so I haven't read anything else but this in that time and I am not ready to stop yet.

Edit: oh and I just picked up the first one in Beast Arises series since I figured I would enjoy that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

susan posted:

My Dark Heresy players just drove into an Eldar Webway portal after the group Psyker activated the gate and told the gateway to 'Take them back to the ship'. The Psyker did not have Forbidden Knowledge Xenos, and therefore did not realize that Eldar Webway gates require gates on the entrance and exit, and therefore had no possibility of working as intended. The players did, and realized this was pretty much going to go badly, but it would have been worse to stick around (the planet surface was glassed minutes after their escape).

So. Where should I send them? And what are some reasonable side effects for flying through the Webway in a sanctified cargo van (or, for the 2-3 dozen guardsmen following them who couldn't fit in the van, flying through completely unprotected)?

Just make a decent sized flow-chart style branching map, with choices of "Left", "Right" and sometimes "Middle". The more times they give the wrong answer and go further away from the exit closest to where they want to go, they find more and more Dark Eldar. The more right choices, Eldar. Have the exit spit them out near an Eldar outpost for shits and giggles (And depending on the disposition of the Eldar towards your group, have the Eldar's reaction be their equivalent to "Stunned silence").

As far as "How does the human body take to the Webway" going by the fluff... surprisingly well actually. I think there are areas where the webway is thin and the warp can seep in, but novels have characters walking and talking in the webway without issue (Okay, some temporal shenanigans, but that may be more "Psyker projection" rather than actual "Ran into his own past self") except for the backwash from fast-moving ships flying through larger webway tunnels.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 18, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

D-Pad posted:

I need some recommendations. I have read all of the HH series, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Pariah, Gods of Mars, Night Lords, Watchers of the Throne, Carrion Throne, Dark Imperium, Talon/Black Legion, and Titanicus. Also planning on grabbing Magos. What else is good in 40k? I just started 40/30k last summer so I haven't read anything else but this in that time and I am not ready to stop yet.

Edit: oh and I just picked up the first one in Beast Arises series since I figured I would enjoy that.
Double Eagle is solid though not particularly remarkable, and perhaps best described as a kind of 40k Battle of Britain.

…actually, wait, did you forget to list Gaunt's Ghosts or did you really not read any of it? Because if it's the latter you have your work cut out for you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

D-Pad posted:

The Inquisition War :getin:

The Word Bearers omnibus wasn't a bad read, IMO. The Ciaphas Cain novels aren't bad either, I think only a few of them are specifically tied together, while the rest are semi-seperate (The novels are his memoir, edited into a series of reports by the Inquisition and make frequent passing references that not even the Inquisitor editing the novels is quite sure he's referring to)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pick up the Armageddon Omnibus if you haven't read it. Helsreach and Blood and Fire in one package.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

susan posted:

It could be fun trying to explain to the Custodes how they accidentally infiltrated the Imperial Palace on Holy Terra, but that's likely a campaign-ender.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Double Eagle is solid though not particularly remarkable, and perhaps best described as a kind of 40k Battle of Britain.

…actually, wait, did you forget to list Gaunt's Ghosts or did you really not read any of it? Because if it's the latter you have your work cut out for you.

Oh yeah, I read the first 3 Gaunt's Ghosts so I will start over and read the whole series. Considering I read everything on that list in under a year (and that's all 48 HH books) I am not intimidated.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

It could be fun trying to explain to the Custodes how they accidentally infiltrated the Imperial Palace on Holy Terra, but that's likely a campaign-ender.

Especially given what happened to that particular webway portal in Master of Mankind

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Non-damaged web ways are pretty drat safe which is why the emperor was making his own for humanity to use.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pendent posted:

Especially given what happened to that particular webway portal in Master of Mankind

Woops, demons and a warp vortex ate Terra. Womp womp!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Woops, demons and a warp vortex ate Terra. Womp womp!

That does seem like a reasonably appropriate end for most role playing groups I've been involved in.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Man, The Magos was loving good, too bad we'll have to wait like 5 years for the next book.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

susan posted:

It really depends on if you only want them to suffer a bit but survive or kill them all in a spectacular manner.

Some lovely ideas:

- Commorragh, probably the end, but you can at least do some Spartacus style gladiatorial games.

- A Maiden World, hope they like dinosaurs.

- Some freaky adventures inside the webway, ancient eldar graveyards, then dump them in a remote imperial world.

- The Black Library, let them get a peek, wipe their memories and throw them somewhere else.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
An inactive Necron ship that, upon their arrival, slowly begins to stir. Necron ships don’t generally have any life support. Can the party escape before their air runs out? Can they disable the ship before the crew revives? Where are they?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

The Cain books or Gaunt's Ghosts series, Shira Calpurnia trilogy, Baneblade/Shadowsword (can you tell I play Guard?).

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

susan posted:

- Go Ravenor style and dump them on a world swarming with tyranids
- Fun rapey time in Commorragh
- Have a near miss as Jaghatai Kahn roars past on his bike asking for directions
- Interrupt an AA meeting consisting solely of Bloodthirsters
- Warhammer Fantasy

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

susan posted:

IMO, this is just a take on the classic D&D "warp the wish" game. They said "Take us back to the ship!", so where they come out should have something to do with their ship, only in a way that's terrible for them.

Personally, I'd do something with their ship's name. If they wanted to go back to the Ravenous, they get a deathworld filled with monsters. If they were trying to get to the Citadel of Faith, they come out of an ancient hidden gate on a besieged Shrineworld. The Dark Lady buys them a trip to Commorragh. Etc.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Khizan posted:

IMO, this is just a take on the classic D&D "warp the wish" game. They said "Take us back to the ship!", so where they come out should have something to do with their ship, only in a way that's terrible for them.

Minor Ravenor spoilers below

Wasn't this something that happened to Ravenor's group when they were trying to use the warp-fuckery door to get home? It was somehow damaged and trying to interpret what they were asking it. So when they needed to find water it dumped them on an ocean planet, etc? (I actually loved that whole sequence with all the freaky worlds and universes.)

Although it did bug the sperg in me when they refer to the Tyranids as not having a name yet when there's a throw away line in Eisenhorn referring to "the foul tyranid".

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

Although it did bug the sperg in me when they refer to the Tyranids as not having a name yet when there's a throw away line in Eisenhorn referring to "the foul tyranid".

The Eisenhorn line is the lore incorrect one here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

I'm pretty sure Genestealer cults were a thing in the Imperium during Eisenhorn's time, so maybe he was referring to them? But yeah, it's just that Tyranid were a thing since Rogue Trader and Dan Abnett probably just realized after he wrote Eisenhorn that they're about 500 years before Tyranids truly arrived in the setting.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dog_Meat posted:

Wasn't this something that happened to Ravenor's group when they were trying to use the warp-fuckery door to get home? It was somehow damaged and trying to interpret what they were asking it. So when they needed to find water it dumped them on an ocean planet, etc? (I actually loved that whole sequence with all the freaky worlds and universes.)

They 'wish' to be returned to their ship but are instead transported to a space station with the same name 1000 years earlier.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hopterque posted:

They 'wish' to be returned to their ship but are instead transported to a space station with the same name 1000 years earlier.

I always legit felt bad about that poor surgeon. Why didn't she make the jump to M41 when Ravenor gave her the option? :(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

- Warhammer Fantasy

I like this one

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Randalor posted:

As far as "How does the human body take to the Webway" going by the fluff... surprisingly well actually. I think there are areas where the webway is thin and the warp can seep in, but novels have characters walking and talking in the webway without issue (Okay, some temporal shenanigans, but that may be more "Psyker projection" rather than actual "Ran into his own past self") except for the backwash from fast-moving ships flying through larger webway tunnels.
Even better as it happens. If you gently caress around the webway for an extended period of time it has a rejuvenating effect. Inquisitor Czevak from Atlas Infernal went from being on the verge of death supported by an exoskeleton to a man in his prime after spending enough time in there.

As for where they end up, the webway is a maze like no other. I'd say they stay completely lost and have some adventures in the ruins of a long abandoned Eldar city.
Then some Harlequins help the group out for shits and giggles. After trolling them for a bit first, of course.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Then some Harlequins help the group out for shits and giggles. After trolling them for a bit first, of course.

This, but the group are forced to travel with them to a craft world to perform an interpretive dance recital of the fall of the Eldar in front of Eldrad :D

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

Man, The Magos was loving good, too bad we'll have to wait like 5 years for the next book.

BL isn't loving over its authors anymore, so we might see something sooner.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My vote would be it interprets it, and drops them on an actual sailing ship off shore (of Eldar construction, but no high tech) on a hidden Maiden world.

Bonus points if they get to land and encounter the Eldar who look Exodite have been sacrificing Commoragh style to stave off Chaos, and the reveal can be the planet is already in the Eye, and has been for the last 10,000 years. Commence warp hijinks.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Odd question:

I read most of the books here involving Eisenhorn and his successor in the floating brain-chair. Sorry, it’s been a while.

Anyways, are there any books set in the 40k universe that are more sci-fi, weird atmospheres, and sense-of-scale focused rather than what are essentially action/intrigue/spy novels? I loved the ones I read, but I got a little tired of those tropes (I also noticed many objects in the universe were called like, I dunno, slag-lance or rip-coal. Those two word combos Abnett uses worked for a while, but after long grew stale).

For instance, the Baba Yaga under water environment was SO COOL. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Read like..... anything else by (almost) anyone else?

Eye of Terror
Titanicus (abnett)
The of Mars series. I think it starts with priests
Night Lords
Emperor's legion
Talon of Horus
White scars
Dante
The Inquisition War
Ian Watsons Space Marine as a comedy option