Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

So, the baseline for "full-time" is something I already toe or break on the reg. I told the ASM as much, to which she replied, "Don't worry, corporate will tell us to cut your hours soon."

Anyone who thinks this generation doesn't have any money because we're spending it on toast should be forced to drink a tall glass of yellow water from freshly-squeezed cats.
In the last 20 years, the only way to get full time is to step up to management, at least where I work. There was one bizarro 1 year period where the company was really pushing allowing full time because retention was at an all time low and morale was at an all time low.

I suspect getting full time at a lot of other retail places requires stepping into a management position. At least when I ever decide to step down I will maintain full time status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Lord Bude posted:

Cream and yoghurt are the worst spills outside the category of bodily fluids (which as someone not in management I’m prohibited from attempting to clean)

Oil is pretty bad too. Except coconut oil. poo poo stays solid at room temp.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Oil is pretty bad too. Except coconut oil. poo poo stays solid at room temp.

God gently caress oil. Its especially bad if your job for some reason decides that the clean up powder is some luxurious commodity and demands you only use it for vomit poo poo and piss. Have fun cleaning an entire bottle of corn oil with just paper towels!

E: Also at work our inventory schedule has been changed. Typically for me its the same ol', its done on Sundays by the upper managers. We don't get a load on Sundays so there is no interference. Now they demand inventory be done on Mondays, where we do get a load. So now I am to come in at 12 midnight on inventory nights to do my usual stuff, then when 2 am hits the upper managers come in for inventory and the other guy who comes in at 12 pulls off doing his stuff to help with inventory, and I take over his stuff. And then I'm still expected to do our load that can come in anytime between 3 am to 8 am. Oh and inventory is done every single month.

:shepface:

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 15, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oil Chat reminds me of the time I saw (thankfully was not working there at the time) someone knock over a display of olive oil. Had to be at least 5 gallons, probably closer to 10, just all over the floor between deli/bakery/produce. With the attendant amount of glass shards too of course. What a nightmare.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ijii posted:

In the last 20 years, the only way to get full time is to step up to management, at least where I work. There was one bizarro 1 year period where the company was really pushing allowing full time because retention was at an all time low and morale was at an all time low.

I suspect getting full time at a lot of other retail places requires stepping into a management position. At least when I ever decide to step down I will maintain full time status.

When I did retail the only full time positions at Barnes and Noble where the various shift managers, the receiving manager, and the two hear cashiers. Probably around 10 or so people. The actual staff list was around triple that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
One of my favorite things about cleaning up spills is how it is always complicated by the fact that every store I've ever worked at buys the cheapest piece of poo poo paper towels they can. Too thin to absorb anything, comes apart as soon as you stress them, and you can't scrub anything. What the gently caress.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

The replacement mop heads are under lock and key, in the same supply room that holds things like new uniforms and "those things that unlock the security tags".
No other consumable supplies are locked up, just the mop heads. Nobody knows why. Everybody thinks it is stupid.

My department currently has four (4) mop handles, only one has a head on it, and it is starting to disintegrate.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That kind of thing is why I sometimes consider taking up lock picking as a hobby.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Dang and my boss bought me new mop heads for Christmas because I'm the only one who cleans the floors.

:shepicide:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

If you clock in 7 minutes early or late for your shift you get an automated write up.

Coincidentally this is why I will now just immediately call off if I'm going to be late. The other day when my area got hit by a Nor'Easter there was an accident on the road I typically take to work meaning I had to spend 15 minutes going back and then taking another route. I called an ASM and let them know as soon as I was able. Unfortunately, this made me 11 minutes late and, because it was over 7 minutes, I was immediately written up which is exactly the same thing that'd happen for a call out without sick time to cover it.

Do either of you have sources for its legality by chance?

found this

https://www.chicagoovertimelawyerblog.com/2015/11/1340.html

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/70156-kmart-faces-california-wage-and-hour-class-action/

"Additionally, the FLSA requires employers to provide their workers with pay stubs that accurately reflect all time worked and wages earned within each pay period."

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hi grognan I hope you are well :)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yesterday the assistant store manager told me I was over on outs. She told me, "You're allowed twenty five, and you've got," she checked the paper. "Twenty-seven."

An out is a tag with no product behind it, and they're checked somewhat frequently, usually every other day. Someone ( often the store manager ) will walk around each department, do a tally, and write'm all down on a piece of paper. Then someone ( the store manager ) will order a case for every single out, and often zero the item on our inventory software- usually without checking to see if we actually have it.

I may have complained about this before.

Every now and then I'd see a page like this floating around in the back, and I'd look at it. For some reason, I'd feel vaguely prideful when I'd see that my department was consistently lower than... pretty much everyone else. I don't know why. I'm not paid enough to care and pride in your work is poor compensation.

Twenty-seven sounded wrong to me. I did a mental walk of my department, yeah, I had holes, but that was high. So I asked.

Expired items that I discarded counted as outs.

Close-out items you're trying to sell through and get rid of counted as outs.

Items that you don't have because the loving warehouse ran out, yeah, those count too. Still, it seemed high. So I said, "I know I don't have twenty-plus outs in frozen food. There's no way. Ten, fifteen, tops."

"Yeah, but in ice cream..."

Words washed out and my inner monologue became a baseball player in a red hat mutely mouthing "gently caress".

Nobody had told me that ice cream outs were now my responsibility. It might not seem like a big deal, but let me tell you- I am already ( supposedly ) responsible for more SKUs than any other single person in the store. Every bank of freezers has twenty-one cabinets, and each of those holds somewhere between twenty and twenty-five SKUs. I have three walls of twenty-one coolers to manage, plus another eight on the back wall.

That's not counting ice cream, which is now my thing ( another 18 cabinets ).

That's not counting the other department I have to condition, or alcohol.

I did some rough math on that one and came to the conclusion that I was getting pissed off.

For reference, dairy is about thirty-five cases. While it is more SKU dense and labor intensive, our dairy guy, who gets eight more hours a a week than I do, has a hard time keeping up with it. And he doesn't even have to condition on his truck days.

Of those twenty-seven outs, about twelve were my actual department. Three of those were close-outs. Another two had passed their best-by and were disposed of by your's truly. One was a computer glitch. Three were items we had on promotional displays, but were not moved to fill the holes. Of the remaining four, I found and shelved three. It took about fifteen minutes.

You might ask, "Well, if it only took fifteen minutes, why don't you always do that?" and the answers are as follows:

1) I don't always have fifteen minutes.
2) I'm underpaid and I'm not a full-time employee. I see not having to care too much as part of my compensation.
3) If I'm going to be complained at for staying late and getting work done or for not doing the work, I might as well choose the option that makes me happier.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Your mamager sounds like a twatlord.

Ive been getting reamed lately about not having domestics done, by myself, on 4 hour shifts, and having 5 pallets of feeight a day our nightcrew doesnt work.

Last night the manager who said i wasnt doing my area had me taking care of hardware. He specifically called me over to mix 35 cans of 1 gallon paint cans for a guy who couldnt figure out wtf random colors he wanted. Spent 2 and a half hours with this guy. gently caress people. Why couldn't he have 7 individual 5 gallon drums? Because his house needs "good vibes" from a "managerie of colors".

He also just brought back 15 gallons claiming i mixed them wrong. Hes insisting i mix him more because i know what i was doing. But i mixed 15 gallons incorrectly. But i know what im doing. 15 gallons... doing... kill me please.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I remember when I worked a Walmart paint desk; some dude occupying hours of my time with mixing paint was brilliant because it meant I couldn't be hosed with sports or toys or whatever random poo poo the lone asst. manager wanted to drop on me.

"Oh no, I would love to cover all seven of those departments, Mike, but this fellow needs to paint his salon in just the perfect shade of off-white."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wouldn't worry about it Nerdy, it's just bog standard stuff they make up for excuses not to give you a raise come review time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I don't worry, because I know I am getting my tiny raise no matter what, and I know that I do my job well ( or well enough ).

I came back from my vacation and one of the better people I work with asked me how I do it. He said he had a hundred sixty-four piece truck and it wrecked him to do it with help. Two days later, I did a two-hundred ten piece truck by myself.

Every now and then I think that I am not any good at what I do, and then someone else does it, and I feel smug ( yet apathetic ) when I compare my work to their's. If I get my new position, I look forward to seeing what happens to my department when they slot someone else in there.

I know the guy they have in mind. He has little stocking experience. He's never worked frozen. He'll hate it as much as I did when I first started. If he doesn't ask for a transfer or his old job back after two weeks, I will be surprised.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stocking frozen was poo poo when I did it for a mid-square foot convenience store, I don't know how anyone does it in something larger.

Granted I at least thought far enough ahead to wear long underwear which at least prevented the horrible moment when you move and your leg touches the now well below freezing fabric of your pants, so I managed to do stock rotation and keep things where they should be instead of just throwing things anywhere they would fit but it was pretty crap nonetheless.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I get my new position, I look forward to seeing what happens to my department when they slot someone else in there.

As someone who did this, I can confirm it is very satisfying watching your old department crash and burn.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Two months ago we had a cart attendent switch to the backroom to handle our ship from store process and 1-hr store pickup. Today he was running behind on packing the ship from store stuff and missed the 1-hr goals on five orders but didn't tell anyone.

Naturally I get screamed at for this less than 5 minutes after I started today because "xxxxx is new to this why didn't you fix this!"

:kingsley:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean my response would almost verbatim be "gently caress you, I just got here and had nothing to do with this so get the hell off my back." Maybe I'm not a good fit for retail anymore. :shrug:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean my response would almost verbatim be "gently caress you, I just got here and had nothing to do with this so get the hell off my back." Maybe I'm not a good fit for retail anymore. :shrug:

They don't care.

I remember when I worked at the zoo in food prep, another zookeeper left the eggs on to boil (birds love hardboiled eggs. Kinda hosed but true.) overnight. He almost burned the entire zoo down, because the weather was dry and the food prep was right next to the hay barn. He didn't get blamed. I got blamed, because if I had been cooking the eggs, I wouldn't have left them on for 13 hours.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean yeah they can blame me all they want if it makes them feel better, I'm just not gonna give a poo poo.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Back when I had to take care of my outs, I was somehow supposed to get more of these offending items in, but without ordering them.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Didn't say anything after it happened, didn't want to admit I got clowned on by a high school kid or "create a hostile work environment" by responding how I wanted:

she asks if anyone wants a double chocolate loaf that a customer didn't want. I said "yeah sure" and you know what this absolute shithead says? "yeah of course you would, fat rear end" granted, in a joking way, because if I was actually fat and she called me that I would have some choice words do absolutely nothing because shes a loving kid and I'm spineless. But you know what ill let this slide, because she was "joking" and maybe I'm a little thin skinned

But then supervisor on her day off comes up to the window, walking I mean. Shes not in a car. HS coworker talks to her at window, speaker box dings, and shes still talking. I'm like "yo, theres someone at the box you need to answer" and she tells me to shut up? Are we loving serious right now?

I am so sick of high schoolers

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pentaghastly posted:

Didn't say anything after it happened, didn't want to admit I got clowned on by a high school kid or "create a hostile work environment" by responding how I wanted:

she asks if anyone wants a double chocolate loaf that a customer didn't want. I said "yeah sure" and you know what this absolute shithead says? "yeah of course you would, fat rear end" granted, in a joking way, because if I was actually fat and she called me that I would have some choice words do absolutely nothing because shes a loving kid and I'm spineless. But you know what ill let this slide, because she was "joking" and maybe I'm a little thin skinned

But then supervisor on her day off comes up to the window, walking I mean. Shes not in a car. HS coworker talks to her at window, speaker box dings, and shes still talking. I'm like "yo, theres someone at the box you need to answer" and she tells me to shut up? Are we loving serious right now?

Well that’s something that needs to be nipped in the bud.

I’m surprised, I’ve always found the 14-17 year olds to be the best workers. It’s usually the ones that come to you after they’ve hit University that have issues.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pentaghastly posted:

I'm at the age where I am old enough to be their parent. Most of the ones in my store actually listen to me.

Mainly because I take them aside on their first day and show them how to do poo poo that will make both their job and my job easier. I also point out that doing said things means we all get out sooner after close.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
The issue ive found with high schoolers is that this job is inconsequential to them. At least where I work.

They dont have rent to pay, they dont have bills or mouths to feed. "Well I have to pay my car insurance or my dad will take my car away" yeah? if I dont work I don't eat and I dont have a place to live. We have one (one!) coworker in high school who is awesome. She only works weekends because of school but she always gets poo poo done, she doesnt leave until it is done, and she doesn't ever need to be babysat and no one ever has to go behind her and fix things. She's rare. I wasnt like her at all in high school.

I had a whole thing typed up but I got tuckered out.

Oh and I threw away that chocolate loaf right after that whole thing. Looking at it made me angrier.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Bide your time, marshal your spite. Let that ember of bitterness warm your heart, sustain you through the cold blizzard of life.

Nothing feels better than declining to help someone that hosed with you for no reason, and watching them go down in flames. :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

Bullshit. She's the one creating a hostile work environment--your employer is, actually, if they do nothing about it. This behavior is called bullying and it isn't cool.

I dunno, I know you don't want to create an awkward confrontation--that's why the bully has picked you for a target--so just saying "gently caress that, call her rear end out on it" won't be helpful advice and going to management about it will just make it worse (I know from experience... siiiiiiigh). So yeah, I got nothing better than what Nerdy said.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I'm doing better about keeping a blank face with annoying customer interactions, and a sickly sweet customer service voice for the shittiest interactions. No customer will know the purest hate I have for them, but my coworkers can feel it through the headset

Oh, and keeping tears in until my break and then going to my car to force them all out in 7 minutes which oddly leads to me sitting in the bathroom for the remainding 3 minutes of my break trying not to barf. Thats a weird thing that happens now. My brain thinks its time to force everything out when I do that

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:smith:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pentaghastly posted:

I'm doing better about keeping a blank face with annoying customer interactions, and a sickly sweet customer service voice for the shittiest interactions. No customer will know the purest hate I have for them, but my coworkers can feel it through the headset

Oh, and keeping tears in until my break and then going to my car to force them all out in 7 minutes which oddly leads to me sitting in the bathroom for the remainding 3 minutes of my break trying not to barf. Thats a weird thing that happens now. My brain thinks its time to force everything out when I do that

You need to find your inner Burgerpants. The only emotions I feel at work are a wan rainbow of annoyance and apathy as I shuffle closer to the grave, fifty shades of fey.

I exaggerate but really, there are a number of ways you can distance yourself from the things that make you miserable at work. I usually try brainstorming up phrases or descriptions or the first lines of stories I tell myself I want to write and then never do. Sometimes I think about plans, or my dog, or whatever, anything except whatever agitation has settled over me like a cage made of kazoos.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Find a different job? Easier said than done, but job searching can make your day by day better with something to shoot for.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
So I’m on the job hunt and I’m applying to anything and everything right now, from office jobs to food service and retail.

Application process for office jobs: send in my resume and cover letter, go in for an interview, maybe a quick computer test.
Average pay for those office jobs: $14-19/hr

Application process for retail: create an account on their ancient job site, upload your resume, upload your cover letter, re-enter everything from your resume into our forms, take a multiple page personality quiz, go in for an interview, go in for a second interview.
Average pay for those retail jobs: minimum wage

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Yet everybody that seems to get hired above high school age for retail are people so hosed up in the head that makes me wonder how they are able to get as far as they did in life.

Btw, I'm willing to take a $10/hr pay cut just to get out of retail at this point because I'm sick and tired of baby sitting these hosed up people. I just want an office job where I'm not stressing out about stupid asinine metrics. Yet I can't find anywhere to go where I can learn on the job. Where are these office jobs?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
For a while all of the good jobs were on a high shelf you weren't going to reach without being overqualified and experienced as hell, so without a connection, "decent office job" was basically a pipe dream for a lot of people. Interns aren't really helping that situation, either.

Retail will take anybody. They don't need good HR websites. In fact, making the application process a pain in the rear end probably helps them to weed out some people. This is why you typically enter a lot of companies at part-time. Your first few months of employment are basically a long-form application for a different position or more hours.

I'd like to get out but that just isn't happening without a friend or an education so I guess I am interviewing for full-time retail instead. :shepface:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Retail, am I right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Retail will take anybody. They don't need good HR websites. In fact, making the application process a pain in the rear end probably helps them to weed out some people.

This is exactly what it's for.

ijii posted:

Where are these office jobs?

You have to know someone on the inside to get one, unless it's truly horrible. Some office jobs are even worse than retail jobs, believe it or not.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Sounds like a pronounciation issue.

Retail (ree-tayle)

vs

Retail (reet-hell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
retoil