Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
What kinds of rooms do you guys all house your birds in? I'm in the very early stages of looking into bird ownership (after following this thread for years), thinking budgie or cockatiel, but I'm in a somewhat small house and looking for input. There's a tiled kitchen, carpeted dining room, living room with the tv on in the evenings, a closed in porch that gets chilly in the winter, and two upstairs bedrooms. There's plenty of room for a cage and to roam, but I just don't know if there's a GOOD room for one. How do you decide what's a good living space and where it should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Psychepath posted:

What kinds of rooms do you guys all house your birds in? I'm in the very early stages of looking into bird ownership (after following this thread for years), thinking budgie or cockatiel, but I'm in a somewhat small house and looking for input. There's a tiled kitchen, carpeted dining room, living room with the tv on in the evenings, a closed in porch that gets chilly in the winter, and two upstairs bedrooms. There's plenty of room for a cage and to roam, but I just don't know if there's a GOOD room for one. How do you decide what's a good living space and where it should be?

not carpet, somewhere were they can see your comings and goings from inside their cage if there is room. The verandah in the warmer months would be good if it's covered, and if your country doesn't have snakes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have a small space heater on my closed porch so I can put the birds on a play-ladder out there in the cold months.

I keep all my birds in the living room, which is wood-floored. You don't need a huge space to satisfy a bird; my house is small but I very quickly noticed that they were happier than they were in the apartment.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

We also keep our birds in our (carpeted) living room. In previous homes we had a separate dining area where we used to have the bird cage but they seem happier to be in the room we actually hang out in. If you end up keeping your birds in a carpeted area, you can put those plastic chair mats under the cage area to protect the carpet and make clean up easier.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop Monday

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My birds always stay wherever they can get the biggest flock vibe. I’ve always had the most success with living rooms because I literally think birds enjoy television.

Just have the backs of their cages against a wall. That way they don’t get too freaked out when they get spooked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All birds love Star Wars.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

My birds always stay wherever they can get the biggest flock vibe. I’ve always had the most success with living rooms because I literally think birds enjoy television.

Nugget definitely likes watching TV :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Televisions cannot possibly be displaying in the right colour palette for bird eyes. It's based around RBG, our three-cone colour vision, while birds have four-cone vision that can see into the ultraviolet. That said, they still love it.

Actually, birds on TV with non-curved beaks are not welcome, but I don't think he can distinguish between a hooked-parrot-beak and other types of hooked beaks. Sera once tried to make friends with a harpy eagle on a documentary I was watching.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

Televisions cannot possibly be displaying in the right colour palette for bird eyes. It's based around RBG, our three-cone colour vision, while birds have four-cone vision that can see into the ultraviolet. That said, they still love it.

Actually, birds on TV with non-curved beaks are not welcome, but I don't think he can distinguish between a hooked-parrot-beak and other types of hooked beaks. Sera once tried to make friends with a harpy eagle on a documentary I was watching.

They sure as hell can see something. When hockey comes on Serra the cockatiel gets silent and movers to a perch where she can stare.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Captain Log posted:

They sure as hell can see something. When hockey comes on Serra the cockatiel gets silent and movers to a perch where she can stare.

I bet Serra is trying to figure out how to perch on an ice hockey stick.

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/XFF781t.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 20, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

I bet Serra is trying to figure out how to perch on an ice hockey stick.

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/XFF781t.mp4

Every bird I've ever owned would crap themselves if they somehow got in my shirt. Cockatiels are special.

Serra constantly does the heart wings/wing stretching that makes me melt. I've never had a bird do that before.

Also, just in case anyone has missed this, it's a pro-click -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbOIp1GUJA

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Nugget prefers (American) football, but also likes hockey.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also, just in case anyone has missed this, it's a pro-click -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbOIp1GUJA

Certified pro-click.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
BIRDS!!

LET"S GET SOME BIRDS!

Nesty Crouton does a ((((vibrate)))) while Galbedir keeps watch.

PLUMP BIRD

I do love how the cardboard reflects onto his white neck feathers turning them the same orange as his forehead :syoon:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also, turns out lovebirds go mad when they hear Mr Meeseekses on the computer.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Thanks for all the replies. Somehow in looking way too hard into this I'd seen people recommend against keeping the cage in the same room as the tv, so I was a bit frazzled. But the living room has a corner with some mild afternoon sunlight, line of sight to all the entrances, and plenty of activity to keep them from getting bored. So I guess I'll just have to see how it works out.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My budgie has reached that stage in being a bird in which he must selectively remove and toss around my paintbrushes from their jar.

E: oh dear god! My gerber daisies!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 21, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

E: oh dear god! My gerber daisies!

Ahahaha welcome to bird ownership. :)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pip pip pip posted:

We also keep our birds in our (carpeted) living room. In previous homes we had a separate dining area where we used to have the bird cage but they seem happier to be in the room we actually hang out in. If you end up keeping your birds in a carpeted area, you can put those plastic chair mats under the cage area to protect the carpet and make clean up easier.

thanks for this idea, I've been using a canvas drop cloth under Mochi's cage and it is a HUGE pain to vacuum on/around.

We have a teeny one bedroom apartment and I try to practice good sleep hygiene, so the only viable choice was our living room. I work from home but thankfully the boys rarely get loud enough to be distracting. I think if I was home and in my bedroom he and Bradbury would be pretty upset considering the little fucker can't let me pee in peace without needing a constant stream of communication and assurance he hasn't been abandoned. I think pet store living and having a stream of cage mates while going unadopted himself has made him think everyone will disappear if he can't see them.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 21, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm going on a 16-day trip to Japan, leaving Thursday next week. Obviously I'm more worried about the birds than myself. I have boarding arranged for them, what I'm unsure about is cage and whether to keep them in one cage or have them separate. The cage they would live in is the old one, the same model Steve has. It's definitely not large enough for either of them to get to fly at all, at most slightly assisted jumps, and I'm afraid the relatively confined space will make them more aggressive towards each other.
Would it be smarter to have them in separate cages after all?
Over-decorate them with toys to climb on, or leave open space to attempt to jump around?
Any "training" or similar I should do leading up to it?

And I will make sure to visit some bird cafes over there and report :)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nielsm posted:

I'm going on a 16-day trip to Japan

are you staying at the godzilla hotel!?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My dumb loving cockatiel got it into his head that my squirt of titanium white acrylic was sour cream, I think. He loves sour cream. After trying a few times to inch down to get at the paint he straight up flew into the middle of the palette, got paint all over his feet, made some footprints on the plastic tub I was using as a painting table, and then flew away, tracking paint. I had to corral and then burrito him and then wash his feet off. He was incredibly sulky about it.

He's forgiven me this morning, but I doubt he's learned a goddamn thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inspection time:

GoldStandardConure posted:

are you staying at the godzilla hotel!?

Sorry no.
(what?)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

My dumb loving cockatiel got it into his head that my squirt of titanium white acrylic was sour cream, I think. He loves sour cream. After trying a few times to inch down to get at the paint he straight up flew into the middle of the palette, got paint all over his feet, made some footprints on the plastic tub I was using as a painting table, and then flew away, tracking paint. I had to corral and then burrito him and then wash his feet off. He was incredibly sulky about it.

He's forgiven me this morning, but I doubt he's learned a goddamn thing.

lol, I've had to do this exact thing, but for ketchup. Birds love putting their feet in what they think is food for them and then tracking it everywhere.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He's been working on it every day.

https://twitter.com/joedonbaker/status/976478024135831552

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lmao he's tone deaf, that's adorable

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao he's tone deaf, that's adorable

He keeps working on it. He spent about 2 hours in the bathroom today working on it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahahahaha.

I wish I could get a recording of Yoshi trying to whistle the Andy Griffith theme. I hadn't noticed it was something I did (and for life of me, I don't know why), but apparently I whistle it while I'm cleaning sometimes. For longest time, both my wife and I were trying to figure out what the hell he was trying to do, like, it was clearly something specific, but it was just a bunch of random, rapid whistling. Finally, one day, I was cooking and started whistling and my wife said "That's it!"

I am going to try and get a video of him doing the Pac Man noise, though. He does it often enough I just might catch it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I am going to try and get a video of him doing the Pac Man noise, though. He does it often enough I just might catch it.

I tried this and it wasn't hard!

Here's the "Pac Man," game I started playing with him with an old dead i-phone we've re-purposed as a bird toy (I whistle the "eating dots" noise until he taps the phone and then whistle the "Pac Man dies" noise):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGl1wZnSmHg

And here, after I dare to take a brief pause in the game, is him angrily doing his version of the noise, which he does whenever he wants me to play dead-phone-bird-Pac-Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHKXXyMj1Y

Please excuse the typical bird-mess on Yoshi's stand and the tissue that he has dragged onto the floor.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I tried this and it wasn't hard!

Here's the "Pac Man," game I started playing with him with an old dead i-phone we've re-purposed as a bird toy (I whistle the "eating dots" noise until he taps the phone and then whistle the "Pac Man dies" noise):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGl1wZnSmHg

And here, after I dare to take a brief pause in the game, is him angrily doing his version of the noise, which he does whenever he wants me to play dead-phone-bird-Pac-Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHKXXyMj1Y

Please excuse the typical bird-mess on Yoshi's stand and the tissue that he has dragged onto the floor.

Budgies are life.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:five:

This is loving awesome.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nielsm posted:

Inspection time:

Sorry no.
(what?)

Bird cafes are great and all, but Toho Studios run a hotel that is themed after the various Godzilla movies, and the hotel has a giant Godzilla on it you can see from down the road. If/when I ever get to holiday there, thats where I am staying.

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009
How I long for my own birb :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxJzcssqBs

And a gif :kimchi:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3SYmo2h

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
"Henlo scritches are yes"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi got his last shot today and he's seen this vet tech so many times recently that he started playing with her before she gave him the shot. Glad the whole thing is over and now hopefully he will be a healthy bird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Auri has started becoming more active in chewing on wood toys in the past few months than she'd ever been before. Today for the first time I've been seeing her not just chew on her wooden block toys or hold on to the ropes or wooden blocks with her feet while chewing, but even hang upside-down from her perch and even climbing on a little bit (or maybe hanging from) one of the biggest hanging toys. Makes me very happy since it's more exercise and will help develop her grip strength further.

I love watching this creature develop.

These days she just gets annoyed with me when I touch her or endures it if I pick her up (as opposed to having her step up) instead of panicking or getting mad. Slow, steady steps.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pip pip pip posted:

Nugget prefers (American) football, but also likes hockey.

Living remnants of dinosaurs love Bloodsport news at 11

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Budgie had to go have a small wing clip done because he'll be staying with someone else for three weeks in April.

He was so upset yesterday afterwards that he wouldn't step up without pecking my finger each time and was generally really sulky until I showed him his favorite bell and he immediately started bobbing and singing. :3

That particular bell overrides whatever stinky mood he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Ahahahaha.

I wish I could get a recording of Yoshi trying to whistle the Andy Griffith theme. I hadn't noticed it was something I did (and for life of me, I don't know why), but apparently I whistle it while I'm cleaning sometimes. For longest time, both my wife and I were trying to figure out what the hell he was trying to do, like, it was clearly something specific, but it was just a bunch of random, rapid whistling. Finally, one day, I was cooking and started whistling and my wife said "That's it!"

I think this is a popular piece among cockatiels, when I was a teen I had a boy who would whistle it as well from watching my dad watch TV