Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Garbage disposals are far less of a problem when it comes to clogs and hazards to plumbing than toilets. People like to treat both like magic portals, but at least a garbage disposal would grind up a tampon or diaper before sending it down the pipe.

II loved having one for cleaning out the fridge. No more piling spoiled food into the garbage and then taking it out. Just put it down the drain, followed by some ice to clear any bits left on the blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

You change it once a day (or once every two days) after doing the dishes, they cost 100 yen for a pack of like 50, and there are no moving parts to break or get gummed up :psyduck:

It's not a question of cost, it's a question of convenience. A disposal costs a lot more than a trap, sure, but it's still not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and it's a nice convenience. Like, I'm less worried about the money I'm spending on the disposal than the money I'm spending on keeping the house 1 degree warmer than I "need" it to be.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm not walking over to my trash or bringing my trash over to my sink to empty out a little gross mesh thing. Goons these days.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Why would I bother when I have a perfectly good garbage disposal?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'm not walking over to my trash or bringing my trash over to my sink to empty out a little gross mesh thing. Goons these days.

Wow. We just have the garbage bin (with a bag in it unless you're disgusting) under or right next to the sink. When I was a kid it was just a ½-circular bucket screwed to the door but nowadays it's almost always some sort of pull-out mechanism.

e: Where is your trash anyway :confused:

Oh I guess that makes sense but still never seen one.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 20, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Seems like this is all irrelevant if you use a dishwasher, what with them not typically having macerators in them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wow. We just have the garbage bin (with a bag in it unless you're disgusting) under or right next to the sink. When I was a kid it was just a ½-circular bucket screwed to the door but nowadays it's almost always some sort of pull-out mechanism.

I wish I had space for something like that. My garbage is a freestanding bin because I have so little under-counter storage space.

Anyway, this argument reads like people who use brooms making fun of people who use vacuum cleaners, or people who use clotheslines making fun of people who use clothes dryers. Like, they're both valid solutions to the problem. One's more expensive and energy-intensive, sure, but that doesn't make it objectively wrong somehow.

tl;dr it's a stupid argument.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like this is all irrelevant if you use a dishwasher, what with them not typically having macerators in them.

I still wash a lot of cooking tools (pots, pans, knives, wooden spatulas, etc.) in the sink.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

people who use clotheslines making fun of people who use clothes dryers

:smugmrgw:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I think the confusion here is because apparently the US has sinks with drains big enough to fit crap through. All the sinks here have a standardized drain with six tiny round holes in 'em, which prevents basically anything but the tiniest food scraps from getting through. No need for a mesh or a garbage disposal when you can't stuff foodscraps down the drain anyway.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well our garbage bin is way too big to fit under a cabinet, not that there's space there anway. However, the trash is on one end of the wall and the sink is on the other, so against the wall is:

Base Cabinets|Sink|Base Cabinets|Stove|Base Cabinets|Trash

TheDarkOfKnight
May 14, 2003

All the world's a stage. Look at the lighting!
Presented without comment.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
American kitchens must be really weird from a scandinavian perspective, it's basically universal here that the garbage is under the sink. We have three different receptacles, metal, glass and general household waste.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TheDarkOfKnight posted:

Presented without comment.

Name checks out, that is mostly Euclidean geometry

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

His Divine Shadow posted:

American kitchens must be really weird from a scandinavian perspective, it's basically universal here that the garbage is under the sink. We have three different receptacles, metal, glass and general household waste.

In the United States, the space under the sink is reserved exclusively for cleaning supplies, and a plastic grocery bag full of more plastic grocery bags.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the United States, the space under the sink is reserved exclusively for cleaning supplies, and a plastic grocery bag full of more plastic grocery bags.

Where do you keep your bottles of vodka and jaloviina?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, but that's not really a garbage disposal problem since you can dump grease down any old drain.

I've had a disposal in my house practically my whole life. I actually get really annoyed not having one because then you have to scrape off bits into the garbage. I have learned not to go hog wild with it though and dump big stuff down the disposal. I've also gotten a lot better at composting, which takes care of a huge amount of my food waste anyway, but if you don't have a garden, then composting is pretty pointless.

Lots of cities collect compost as part of trash and recycling services.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Jerry Cotton posted:

On the bar in the living room with the other spirits, glassware, etc., of course!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Plus our 55 gallon trash barrels won't fit under there. I'd have to empty my trash hourly if I used such a puny receptacle :911:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

In America we keep all of our chemicals, poisons and various cleaning things under the sink so our kids can get into them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's usually room for those as well even with the rubbish bin. Your plumbing just takes up 40000 times as much space as it should. (Maybe because of the finger-consumers?)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

extravadanza posted:

In America we keep all of our chemicals, poisons and various cleaning things under the sink so our kids can get into them.

Yep, no one has ever invented a way to keep kids out of cabinets.

wait.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

No kidding my house was renovated two owners ago by a narcoleptic. That was a fun discovery. It puts the "comic" in "tragicomic" every time I find a problem around here.

So, he just fell asleep in the middle of projects?

How much you want to bet someone walked down the middle, tripped or slipped and fell, sued because they couldn't reach the handrail, and this was the response/result?

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is why I ripped my place back to the brick, because the PO lived here for 60 years and did everything the lazy and/or cheap way.

Those dang laws! :argh:

Or that. "Handrails must be within blah, blah, blah."

Hexyflexy posted:

Nothing wrong with that, the switch is on and there's power?

I can't tell if you're joking or really missing something.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Top of the fridge.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've never lived in a house with a garbage disposal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

So, he just fell asleep in the middle of projects?

Yup, the inspector found him collapsed on the floor a few times. I found out when he inspected an A/C installation. It's why half of the tile in the kitchen was coming loose and breaking, I suspect.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You can but should you?

https://youtu.be/q-zE592PL4I

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Better than the sinks with about one inch of free room from the back of the sink to the actual spout, at least. Good luck if you drop anything down the gap at the back though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ruflux posted:

I think the confusion here is because apparently the US has sinks with drains big enough to fit crap through. All the sinks here have a standardized drain with six tiny round holes in 'em, which prevents basically anything but the tiniest food scraps from getting through. No need for a mesh or a garbage disposal when you can't stuff foodscraps down the drain anyway.

Clearly you aren’t trying hard enough to fit things through the small holes. Requires some finger work. Commercial kitchens often use similar drains in the sinks and you can cram some interesting stuff through them. If your lucky they’ll have something to collect chunks but not always. It all goes to a grease trap anyways so it doesn’t tend to end up in the sewer regardless.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I mean, you could stuff pencils through quite easily, but the question is why would you? Unless it's like, your worst enemy's kitchen or something.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kid sinister posted:

What a piece of poo poo. Drop ceilings don't belong in bathrooms, period. The tiles are basically puffed paper.

Also,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That'll get patched out in the next update

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

is it a slide for kittens

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It's a trap for skateboarders.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pour a concrete wall across the front, make it a planter, problem solved.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

On my sideboard, you heathen.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Safer than some of the electric jobs I've seen:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kid sinister posted:

Safer than some of the electric jobs I've seen:

No way that actually transfers enough heat to water though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the pipe goes outside, it might be enough to keep it from freezing, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

No way that actually transfers enough heat to water though.

Some googling suggests that a candle puts out about 80W. It takes ~3.8 kilocalories to raise the temperature of 1 gallon of water by 1C (hey, let's mix standard and imperial units! :haw:), and 1 watt-hour is a little bigger than 1 kcal, so if the shower was outputting 1 gallon per minute, the candle would raise the temperature of the water by about 80/60/3.8 = ~.4 degrees Celsius. Assuming all the heat of the candle were captured by the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Some googling suggests that a candle puts out about 80W. It takes ~3.8 kilocalories to raise the temperature of 1 gallon of water by 1C (hey, let's mix standard and imperial units! :haw:), and 1 watt-hour is a little bigger than 1 kcal, so if the shower was outputting 1 gallon per minute, the candle would raise the temperature of the water by about 80/60/3.8 = ~.4 degrees Celsius. Assuming all the heat of the candle were captured by the water.

This may be the gooniest thing I've ever seen.

I appreciated it.