Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
They're #5 nibs. I *think* a Nemosine or Knox nib should fit, but don't quote me on that because Bock and Jowo #5 nibs are shaped a bit differently. If you really want a black nib, you could get a Kaweco Perkeo and try swapping the nibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MJP posted:

Is it at all possible to get a replacement nib alone that isn't $25ish? Seems like it's either pay $25 for a Jowo F or $30 for a Levenger F. I was hoping I'd be able to do something like get just a nib rather than the whole assembly, if it's a friction fit feed. (Meanwhile "friction fit feed" is now my new favorite tongue twister)

Edit: oh, cool, this one has an all-black nib... so now the question gets added: is there a replacement all-black F or EF nib? :getin:

Edit 2: Looks like Levenger's a #5 nib, per http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301868-levenger-true-writer-looking-for-extra-fine-nib/ - does that seem correct?

I'd trust grack on this one, I'm still relatively new to fountain pens.

FWIW though, the Levenger L-Tech "Stealth" comes standard with an all-black nib that is available in F, but it's not really that great of a nib. Mine is fine, a bit scratchy, but the general consensus on them isn't glowing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I might just stick with the factory M nib, then. At least until I get to try it.

What's the consensus on extremely low-feathering black ink to go into this Levenger M nib? I'm told Lamy black or Pelikan Glistening Black are good low-feathering inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MJP posted:

I might just stick with the factory M nib, then. At least until I get to try it.

What's the consensus on extremely low-feathering black ink to go into this Levenger M nib? I'm told Lamy black or Pelikan Glistening Black are good low-feathering inks.

Pilot, Lamy, Pelikan, Waterman, Pelikan... just about all the basic blacks from large pen makers are pretty well behaved.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've had better luck with Pilot black over Lamy black, the latter dries fine and doesn't feather badly, but it also fades surprisingly quickly. Or possibly it doesn't dry as dark as Pilot to begin with.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I've had better luck with Pilot black over Lamy black, the latter dries fine and doesn't feather badly, but it also fades surprisingly quickly. Or possibly it doesn't dry as dark as Pilot to begin with.

I hope this isn't too pedantic, but just so I can get the right one - did you mean the Pilot Iroshizoku Take-Sumi black, or Pilot Namiki black?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Namiki Black.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yep, Namiki. Iroshizuku inks are great, but they will feather pretty badly on cheap paper.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
So will Pilot Black. It's fine on most cheap paper, but sometimes you get unlucky and then it feathers like a motherfucker out of anything wetter/broader than a pilot F.Luckily I have a ton of other colors, and this is just filler paper, so it doesn't really matter either way.

It's great otherwise, though. Very perfectly black, without any purplish notes or anything.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
What are some inks people like to use with a Pilot F nib? Mine's a little scratchy and I would be interested in anything that might help.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

What are some inks people like to use with a Pilot F nib? Mine's a little scratchy and I would be interested in anything that might help.

I've been using Diamine Aqua Lagoon in my Metro F. It looks lovely and I've never had an issue with it.

Also, I'm looking for a nice green that's closer to a vibrant kelly green than forest green for a Heritance F nib on a custom pen - the more feather-resistant for use on recycled paper, the better. I've got my choices down to R&K Verdura, Robert Oster Green Lime, Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel, and Diamine Meadow.

I'm trying to avoid sample fatigue so I'd rather not order four D:

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 18, 2018

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

umalt posted:

Pilot black works nicely in mine, but my Preppy (also a F) was an absolute pain in the rear end to get working nicely until I ran some Noodler's through it. So my go-to for fiddly nibs is to run some Red-Black through it. It's bulletproof, but since it's a pretty straightforward ink (unlike some of their more exciting colors), there's no real concern about pigments gumming up or anything like that. I figure any basic noodler's will do the trick here, just stay clear of the super-saturated or otherwise fiddly colors. Besides that, people generally say J. Herbin inks are nicely lubricated, so that ought to work well, too.

My only other suggestion would be to make sure you're using a fairly new bottle of ink. In my experience, no matter how tightly you've closed a bottle, after a few years some of the water's still going to have vanished. While that isn't really an issue with wetter pens, you'll certainly notice it if you're using fines or otherwise dry pens.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Quick post. I bought a couple of Lamy Safaris from AliExpress, and I'm pretty impressed. The pics show a red one that I've had for some time, that I bought in the UK. The other two are the AliExpress versions. They weren't mad cheap - UK£7 - but they arrived in good time, and had the same brown card nodder to between the nib unit and the shaft.

The lids, the shafts, are interchangeable. (Please ignore the bleeding ink on my red one.)

The Chinese ones are fine, which might be the only reason why the white one is a little scratchy. But I'm pretty pleased with them so far. The brown is frosted - I think that's a factory finish offered by Lamy.

Are they genuine? Who knows? It's a mystery.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never seen a brown one, and the frosted finish exists on some of the limited editions like the Petrol and Dark Lilac.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

I've never seen a brown one, and the frosted finish exists on some of the limited editions like the Petrol and Dark Lilac.

Lamy Line Friends has a brown matte finish on the bear version.

Not bad for the knock offs.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Lamy Safaris are, like, the one pen that I would 100% always buy from a trusted fountain pen retailer. It has to be the most frequently counterfeited pen in the world (by sheer volume), and eBay/AliExpress/Taobao are all swimming in fakes. A few dollars' worth of retail mark-up is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

New TWSBI model: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bggn8z0HDX7

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

the step between section and barrel is really uncomfortable fwiw

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The whole pen looks awkward and uncomfortable to me, and I love a similar pen that lots of people seem to find awkward and uncomfortable (L-Tech 3.0)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
"My first kit pen" is an aesthetic I'm not really looking for in a TWSBI :crossarms:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It looks like a knockoff Kaweco. (Caveat: I've never used or held a Kaweco.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Looks like the (ugly as poo poo) love child between a TWSBI Classic and Caran D'Ache 849

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I get that it may be an ugly duckling and turn out to be a fantastic pen, or it's just a matter of taste and I have none, but that thing is ugly enough that it kind of makes me not want to buy other TWSBI pens, because what the heck are they thinking?

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
I already grip the threads on my other TWSBIs, wish they hadn't put that step in.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I wonder if the facets are at least aligned so you don't have an edge resting on your hand? I mean, you'd think so, but…

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

I wonder if the facets are at least aligned so you don't have an edge resting on your hand? I mean, you'd think so, but…

... but TWSBI couldn't figure out how to align the threads on the Vac Mini so the clip didn't rest on your hand when the cap was posted.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Writes better than I expected, a little scratchy, but nice.

Quoting from a few pages back, but my one of these just showed up.

Is it cool to just fill it up like that? Should I do anything special to help seal the threads?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dagon posted:

Quoting from a few pages back, but my one of these just showed up.

Is it cool to just fill it up like that? Should I do anything special to help seal the threads?

You'll want to put some silicone grease on the threads and o-ring. If you don't have any you can get it at plumber's supply or hardware stores as plumber's grease.

Also I bought one of these because it's a cheap, obvious knockoff of a Faber-Castell Ondoro: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELIKE-TIMES-hexagonal-barrel-fountain-pen-box-pens-/263556399968

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

MJP posted:

Also, I'm looking for a nice green that's closer to a vibrant kelly green than forest green for a Heritance F nib on a custom pen - the more feather-resistant for use on recycled paper, the better. I've got my choices down to R&K Verdura, Robert Oster Green Lime, Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel, and Diamine Meadow.

I'm trying to avoid sample fatigue so I'd rather not order four D:

Diamine Meadow is a yellow-green that is very bright to the point of lurid but behaves alright on cheap paper. It looks closer to this:
https://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/ink-review-diamine-meadow.html

than this:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/222750-diamine-meadow/

so may not be the colour you're looking for.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You all are not going to like how much the new TWSBI costs. It’s quite the step up

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a TWSBI Eco after everybody talked up how great it is and was sorely disappointed by it - spewed entirely too much ink, didn't like the threaded cap, was super hard to clean out. Then I got a Wing Sung and it's basically the same pen but everything about it is better except that it lacks the nib options of the Eco. And it's considerably cheaper cost.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Heath posted:

I got a TWSBI Eco after everybody talked up how great it is and was sorely disappointed by it - spewed entirely too much ink, didn't like the threaded cap, was super hard to clean out. Then I got a Wing Sung and it's basically the same pen but everything about it is better except that it lacks the nib options of the Eco. And it's considerably cheaper cost.

Is Eco plastic really that flimsy?

I've never held an Eco, but I own 580 and a WS698, and the difference between the two materials can't be overstated. The former is a hefty, lovely-feeling polycarbonate, while the latter is basically made from plastic Easter egg material.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought the Wing Sung 698 and TWSBI 580 were made from the same type of plastic, with the Eco being the odd one out.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Got my PenBBS Hawaii and then I bent the "leaves" on the feed while trying to change out the nib. I still didn't manage to remove the nib from it; is there some special trick?

That red isn't part of the resin; it's because I filled it with Noodler's Qin Shi Huang. It still seems to write okay, and I have no idea how to fix this, so I'm gonna leave it as-is for now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

inklesspen posted:

Got my PenBBS Hawaii and then I bent the "leaves" on the feed while trying to change out the nib. I still didn't manage to remove the nib from it; is there some special trick?

That red isn't part of the resin; it's because I filled it with Noodler's Qin Shi Huang. It still seems to write okay, and I have no idea how to fix this, so I'm gonna leave it as-is for now.

My secret is, grab a newspaper rubber band and double it over a bunch over the feed, then tug with steady even force on the sides (shoulders) of the nib.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

Is Eco plastic really that flimsy?

I've never held an Eco, but I own 580 and a WS698, and the difference between the two materials can't be overstated. The former is a hefty, lovely-feeling polycarbonate, while the latter is basically made from plastic Easter egg material.

I have a vac 700r, diamond mini and brand new Eco and I love all of them. The Eco does feel a little cheaper when you hold it and inspect it but the nib (broad) has been fantastic for me. The Eco writes very well I have nothing to say for the price it is insane. I also own one of it's clones (lambitou) and the construction is comparable but nib is not. The Lambitou is scratchy and feels very cheap when writing where the eco is the same as my other Twsbies.

Ordered the Eco with Noodler's Hearts of darkness (what a ink!) and Navajo turquoise (gave my other bottle to a friend). Hearts of darkness is the most amazing black I have seen but I am terrorized by it's bullet proofness (afraid I'll ruin clothes).
Got a second charlie pen (first one with Nikita red) and this one is much better than the other one. No burping at all.

Where are you guy's buying PenBBS's so cheap? I can only find 30+ CAN$ on ebay.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 21, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Iznogood posted:

Where are you guy's buying PenBBS's so cheap? I can only find 30+ CAN$ on ebay.

It depends on the model and finish you want. 323s are cheap, a lot of 308 colours can be had at $22-25 and some 309s can be had for $25.

It is adorable. Pretty decent nib as well.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm going to Tokyo shortly and I want to poke my head into a couple good fountain pen shops and maybe buy some nibs or some inks. (Looking for a nice #5 fine or extrafine nib to put in my wing sung 698.) Anyone have shops to recommend? I basically don't speak any Japanese, but my friend does, and also there's Google Translate.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

inklesspen posted:

I'm going to Tokyo shortly and I want to poke my head into a couple good fountain pen shops and maybe buy some nibs or some inks. (Looking for a nice #5 fine or extrafine nib to put in my wing sung 698.) Anyone have shops to recommend? I basically don't speak any Japanese, but my friend does, and also there's Google Translate.

Itoya in Ginza is the best one I went to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

inklesspen posted:

Itoya has already been mentioned. Maruzen, Kingdom Note and Bungubox will have shop exclusive inks (and perhaps some exclusive pens). For non-exclusive pens and inks, the best prices should be at Sekaido in Shinjuku - you might also find good deals at Yodobashi and/or Bic Camera. You should definitely go to Eurobox just to gawp at the vintage pens (there's a great video about them on Youtube). And then I hear that Fullhalter and Shosaikan are nice, but I've never been.

I don't think you're likely to come across loose nibs for sale, however. Maybe try Eurobox?

Oh and you can also try to make a booking at Ink Stand Kakimori to blend your own ink.