Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
For some bullshit reason, I was not paid to interview for a promotion. So I had to come in a half an hour early for the interview which ran 15 minutes late because I asked questions which got the interviewer talking, as you do.

At the tail end of the interview, I learned that our new dairy guy has decided to gently caress off back to grocery, so a second full-time position is opening up. The store manager ( who was doing the interview ) mentioned this, and the fact that she just posted the listing.

So, I am 95% sure that I will not get the position I want, but may get the position she wants to give me. I am also sure that I can cause a hilarious trainwreck in her plans if I decide to not to apply for dairy.

On a related note, the dairy guy decided to do even less closing poo poo than he normally does on the basis of "gently caress it I am leaving not my problem", so between that and the interview running late, my day was off to a great start.

Our grocery truck, which was supposed to arrive at around seven, didn't hit the door until nine. He said he'd be returning to pick up our salvage- yeah, sure, we've got two hours before we close. Go for it buddy.

I had to show a manager how to access the CAO system and do a look up by manually punching in the UPC. With the realization that I've acquired enough knowledge to teach managers, I felt a decade older than I am. This is my life now.

Scrambling to finish the rest of my poo poo, I stopped again, this time to show the manager how to tie some bundles for salvage. I did not begrudge her for this, because she is a good manager who helped me in turn, and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. If you are a five-nothing skinny girl and you're willing to pull half-ton pallets off the back of a truck, you have my respect.

Half an hour after my shift was supposed to end, the salvage truck showed up. If I hadn't been running late, this would have left the manager to load it by herself. She insisted that I leave, I insisted that I help her, because I do not abandon people who pull their weight.

Two minutes before close, I left the store. :rip:

Edit: I just got my schedule. I'm being given an hour less than usual for inventory day.

Are you sure about that?

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Why would you get paid to do an interview? You actually had an expectation that an interview to benefit you would be done on the company clock? Just confused here, I've never seen a paid interview....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Why would you get paid to do an interview? You actually had an expectation that an interview to benefit you would be done on the company clock? Just confused here, I've never seen a paid interview....

Legally if you’re employed by the company you’re working for it’s considered work / on the clock so you should be clocked in. My last two companies were very clear you should be clocked in.

That being said, I’m sure a lot of companies just don’t follow that or care.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How much longer until this thread gets renamed: "I used to work in retail until my company shut down and now I work in an Amazon warehouse"?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lol the company we buy all of the candy/cigarettes/assorted other stuff totally hosed up and delivered two stores' orders to each other and want us to fix their fuckup

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

How much longer until this thread gets renamed: "I used to work in retail until my company shut down and now I work in an Amazon warehouse"?

"I used to sell liquor in Texas, but Wal Mart automated the industry. Now I live in a cardboard box under the overpass."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

"I used to sell liquor in Texas, but Wal Mart automated the industry. Now I live in a cardboard box under the overpass."

Terminator was right, the machines will kill us all; just not in quite as excitingly or as quickly as we'd like.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MC Hawking posted:

Man that's pretty impressive, I hear the rent on those boxes is crazy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

stab posted:

If the interview is at the same company you are already working at, it is customary for them to foot the bill for developing employees since it will directly benefit the company. But, you know, retail can be a real shithole. I personally would be looking for a different job if I found out my company didn't want to develop me.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Legally if you’re employed by the company you’re working for it’s considered work / on the clock so you should be clocked in. My last two companies were very clear you should be clocked in.

That being said, I’m sure a lot of companies just don’t follow that or care.

Yeah. I mean I imagine you aren't willing to push it Nerd, but at my previous company it was made explicitly clear that there are laws mandating that if you interview for another position at the company you must be compensated for your time and so not to schedule it during an employees lunch or something. So if you wanted to email HR about it, or talk to them, you'd get that paid.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At the tail end of the interview, I learned that our new dairy guy has decided to gently caress off back to grocery, so a second full-time position is opening up. The store manager ( who was doing the interview ) mentioned this, and the fact that she just posted the listing.

So, I am 95% sure that I will not get the position I want, but may get the position she wants to give me. I am also sure that I can cause a hilarious trainwreck in her plans if I decide to not to apply for dairy.

I enjoy reading your writing. As an English teacher, I'm impressed by your unique voice when it comes to writing, as well as your experimentation with figurative language. It comes across, at least in text, as charisma. If you have any of that same wit in your speaking, I think as you move up the retail ranks, you will find that it puts you far ahead of the competitors who can merely work hard.

That said, I think you must be a lunatic for wanting produce over dairy. Produce is not a game you can ever hope to win. Dairy can be streamlined into a flawless and perfect machine.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

I enjoy reading your writing. As an English teacher, I'm impressed by your unique voice when it comes to writing, as well as your experimentation with figurative language. It comes across, at least in text, as charisma. If you have any of that same wit in your speaking, I think as you move up the retail ranks, you will find that it puts you far ahead of the competitors who can merely work hard.

That said, I think you must be a lunatic for wanting produce over dairy. Produce is not a game you can ever hope to win. Dairy can be streamlined into a flawless and perfect machine.

On the subject of my writing: thanks. I don't think that I have any voice at all, or if I have one, I don't like it very much. It's probably my biggest bone to pick with myself whenever I try writing fiction, and one of the biggest reasons I stopped. I keep meaning to jump into the Creative Convention, get to writing again, maybe Thunderdome, but I just haven't had the energy or will to focus on it lately.

On the subject of departments... yeah. I don't know much about produce, but I do know they don't get out later than 7PM. This has big, big appeal for someone who has ended up on the closing side of things almost every day for going on two years. Closing blows, because everything that goes wrong means you're getting out that much later.

I get out late, then when I come home, I can't go right to sleep. So I stay up. So I wake up feeling tired. So I go into work dragging a little bit, so I get out late, so I get home late, so I stay up- rinse and :rip:eat.

I'm tired of being tired.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Our company doesn't pay people for interviews either. Also I never heard of interviews for non-management positions for employed people within the company.

I'm getting really pissed off at our excessive allocations. We are supposed to be the store setting an example of having clean, organized back rooms. How am I supposed to do this when the company keeps distributing too much product over a week ahead of planned sale period.

Normally I can maintain 0 pallets of product in our cooler and freezer combined. I'm stuck with 2 pallets in cooler and 2 pallets in freezer plus a massive wall of product in our cooler, all because the company forced product on us. I think our buyers in Phoenix are inept. Hopefully the person(s) responsible will hurry and get some experience.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I have so much poo poo to tell, and not enough time to tell it. But for the main crux of the issue: the assistant manager was transferred to another store to be manager. the second key holder then dropped her two weeks in, and then decided to not show up her last two scheduled days. One of the part timers went on Spring break two weeks ago and has not shown back up since. I have not had a day off since last saturday, and I vaguely remember showing up to cover some one that day.

And my store may have almost gotten robbed, as a daycare worker says she saw a guy with a gun start to pull on a mask outside our store. But she ran in, locked the door and screamed for my manager before anything could happen.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ijii posted:

Our company doesn't pay people for interviews either. Also I never heard of interviews for non-management positions for employed people within the company.

Yeah, management is wanking pretty hard over the whole conducting interviews for highly coveted full time positions thing. Just reading about it, you can feel how impressed with themselves they are, that their dedication to seemingly pointless schedule fuckery is paying off so well. The few good employees they have are desperate just to be full time wage slaves!

Also, failing to assume that a person who has put in their 2 weeks is not going to show up for work and arrange for someone else to work those shifts would just be gross incompetence on management's part. But every store has someone who's a good worker and too timid to tell management to go gently caress thrmselves when they're worked to death to cover for lazy assholes. :sigh:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 24, 2018

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hey work:
I put my two weeks in. My last day is tomorrow. Don't loving come to me begging for any advice I'll give you because there will be none. The time for my advice was three months ago before y'all completely hosed up my schedule and the job I actually did enjoy.

(P.S.: I sure enjoyed scooping up two inches worth of dead feeder goldfish this morning. Have fun dealing with that when the DM visits 'cause your golden boy doesn't scoop deads when he opens.)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Vonnie posted:

Unfortunately he's also not the only person who keeps loving about working dairy. The other main dairy person has on multiple occasions done things that could have ended with other associates or even customers getting hurt, like the time he left an empty pallet jacked up near a bunker, so if someone turned the corner they could have tripped or stepped on the pallet and hurt themselves. He's slow, though not as slow, as the first guy, but he still needs help to get 6 hours done in a night. He also likes to listen to audiobooks on his phone as max volume, and talk about his sex life/fantasies in the break room, a real class act. He's been reported for just about everything wrong you can do with a pallet sans dropping one on someone, and abandoning spills, and breaking cold chain. He's been reported by 4 different people for different reasons, he's a problem.

Vonnie posted:

I have a useless coworker like that too. Guys has to be a compulsive liar or something because no matter what anyone says to him, he'll always say that he does it too, or has a story about how he's the only one who did that thing at his old job (McDonalds). I'm sure that if I brought stopping shoplifters up he'd immediately have a dozen stories about how he totally stopped the shoplifting equivalent of a bank heist within the last month.

Vonnie posted:

So my poo poo coworker got a talking to by management last week about constantly loving around with his phone and wandering off. This week consisted of him going about the same crap anyway. I do wish I could have seen his face when he left his hiding spot only to be face to face with the manager on duty waiting for him..

Vonnie posted:

It really sucks to say to someone "Man this dude has gotten like nothing done today, he's had his phone out near constantly today" and the response to be "Yeah he's probably going to get fired, but that'll really suck cause who will get their work done?"

Like, who exactly is getting the work done now? It's not them, hence the problem?

Vonnie posted:

That would make more sense if the person was a manager, dudes just weird.

The guy who doesn't get things done is, from what I've been told, on his last chance before he's gone as of today.

Man has it really been over three months? Well it's over now, dude was let go. I really hope it was all worth it dude.

It's not like he was all bad or anything, when he deigned to do his job he could actually do a good job, but not only did that rarely happen, he just couldn't seem to not gently caress off.

Honestly, I'm a little jealous that he felt secure enough that he didn't need to keep this job, sure wish I had parents I could mooch off of like he does.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 25, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So warehouse woes. We ordered 10 cabbage and only got 4 cabbage and for some reason 6 cases of loose romaine lettuce. We also ordered 14 cases of cilantro but instead got 14 cases of curly parsley. Apparently while the manager called the warehouse up about it they gave him guff about "how did you not notice this earlier, do you not check it when it arrives". Mother fucker, its like 12 pallets that come in off the truck, do you want us to stop your trucker from working while we deconstruct the pallet, check it against the manifest, then rewrap the pallet for storage and repeat? Cause we can do that, we can totally keep the truck driver in the building for an extra hour before he can go to his next stop.

Or your loving warehouse goons can learn the difference between loving cilantro and parsley, and while we are talking about it how about the difference between cabbage and lettuce?

Besides that, yesterday when the truck showed up I told him I got some stuff to return. He refuses, and says that he isn't going back to the warehouse (....so where the hell is he taking the truck after he finishes his deliveries?). We again get in touch with the warehouse, and someone DOES come back later in the day. And wants to take 4 romaine. Not even the correct ones, he was going to take the romaine we actually do sell. The manager ends up going back to the store to talk with them, and the guy refuses to take the additional 2 boxes of romaine and the 14 parsley. So we had to CALL THE drat WAREHOUSE AGAIN before we could FINALLY get rid of this poo poo that we never loving ordered in the first place!

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Leal posted:

So warehouse woes.

It sounded like you were talking about my own warehouse, up until your manager tried to make them fix it. Around here we just challenge the bill, update our inventory balance (optional step), and slash prices trying to unload as much product as possible before it rots.

I feel like they intentionally use the bean sprouts itemcode as a dump code. We get actual bean sprouts maybe 1/3 of the time, normally it's just random garbage we don't normally carry.

We'd sell plenty if we reliably had them

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Came in today to find 8 hours deleted from my timecard. Considering I worked 158/144 hours I'm allowed a month before OT triggers, I'm not sure what the plan was here tbh, but the intent was definitely to short me OT pay again.

Anyway, after some careful application of pressure, I not only got my 8 hours back, but also the 14 hours of overtime they owed me for the month.

That's $500 I wouldn't have if I weren't keeping track of my timecard. Keep track of your timecard.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HazCat posted:

Came in today to find 8 hours deleted from my timecard. Considering I worked 158/144 hours I'm allowed a month before OT triggers, I'm not sure what the plan was here tbh, but the intent was definitely to short me OT pay again.

Anyway, after some careful application of pressure, I not only got my 8 hours back, but also the 14 hours of overtime they owed me for the month.

That's $500 I wouldn't have if I weren't keeping track of my timecard. Keep track of your timecard.

Find a new job Jesus Christ .

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
It's amazing how lovely companies' payroll software is. Despite working for a huge grocery company, they still have a payroll system where it's possible you wouldn't get paid your vacation time.

For example, if I schedule someone a 1 week vacation and put it in like I'm supposed to, it's still up to the payroll person to manually put it in. Even though clocking in and out properly will get you paid properly automatically, some reason vacation and personal days will not get paid automatically despite being put in the schedule properly.

So every time a new or backup payroll person takes the helm for a week, it's pretty much a guarantee he/she will miss some people's vacation pay. The one backup payroll lady somehow forgot to do a whole week's worth of vacation pay for several people a couple weeks ago.

So yea, I second about paying attention to your timecard / paycheck. Since I'm a single penny pinching full time cheap rear end, I have a real bad habit about not worrying about how much I get each week. Now I'm trying to chase down a bonus check that got lost at our store because I was two weeks late in picking it up (hey, when I clock out, all I can think about it is going home).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Me: hey we need to start carrying these bread and butter items in back stock. we keep running out. please up your minimum order.
Boss: OK, no problem.
*shorts order for a month*
Me: hey, we're running out of XY items repeatedly. can you please up the minimum order, I know it's taking up space in the back but we've been sitting on this other poo poo that doesn't move for months and I have people walking out because we're out of this other bread and butter item. Just order more, it's cheap and you're making money.
Boss: OK, no problem.
*shorts order for another month*
Me: We really really need to up the minimum order on this. I am going to put it on the order sheet with extra cases, just do it. Running out of this item is hurting your business and I'm going to start calling hot shots on this if we don't start having at least a case in reserve at all times. It's cheap as dirt and baffling as to why we keep running out. This is your lean time and people are predominantly buying cheaper liquor. We absolutely need this stuff in reserve.
Boss: OK, no problem, can do.
*shorts order for another month*
Me: Damnit man, why are you shooting yourself in the dick repeatedly.
Boss: I bought 5 cases of (product that doesn't sell) it was a good price!
Me: :shepicide:

Of course, this goes both ways. I generally have carte blanche to order whatever I deem "a good deal" from the independent distributors that come to the door. I loathe dealing with the two big boys since they rotate salesmen like clockwork and nobody gives a poo poo. Getting favorable deals, actual quality shelf placements, and a place on tasting rotations is a goddamn But the independent folks can be quite favorable and competent if you throw 'em a few bones and develop a good working relationship.

For instance, in revamping the beer and nonalcoholics cooler, I wrangled the beer guys into giving me some extra shelve dividers, the marketing people into doing the back-end work on figuring out what we're actually selling, reset the cooler, and a handshake deal between competing distributors to divy up space. I wrangled my night security/floor guy in and asked what he wanted to see done and how he'd like to see things go. This is good for morale, as he feels like he's helping and has tangible input on shelf usage. We reset the nonalcoholics and installed the shelf dividers I got from the beer guys.

I then got an independent distributor of liquor goods to drop off his nonalcoholics list, asked my coworkers what their input would be on what goods they'd like to see, fed it back up the pipe, got a tact "just make it cheap" approval and started negotiating. My independent guy came in for a order on his regular stuff, pitched a few items and I snagged a half price entry that he needed for commission. He calls me up an hour after leaving, says "hey, if you snag X $75 case to bump you over a thousand on this order, I will personally cover your $120 in nonalcoholics and come in to do tastings on my portfolio. I agreed and now we got a screaming deal on some excellent tequila, a very competent vodka (which I got a bulk discount on because I snagged the commission item), and at least one broad spectrum tasting. Everyone is happy, the shop makes money, and my boss doesn't ask any questions.

It's a good feeling when all the disparate elements come together.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 26, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL how TF can you own a liquor store and not understand that most people buy the same bottles month in and month out and if they don't have your bottle, you go to another store?

Sometimes if I ask feeling cashy or l have a special occasion to shop for I get something nice, but every month or two I buy Tito's vodka, Appleton Estate rum, and Altos tequila. If my store ran out of those I would go to the store across town. If my store ran out twice I wouldn't go back.

Dude should listen to you is what I am saying.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You don't have to tell me that, I'm imminently aware. Poor folks around here gotta have they fuckin' Kentucky Deluxe goddamnit. There is no good reason why we don't have an extra case of that in the back when on a slow week we'll burn 2x half gallons, 1x 1L and 1x 750ml. Same goes for Takka. There isn't a lot of money in it, but that's a bread and butter item for any liquor store. Why he's buying five goddamn cases of Castillo rum, an item which i swear to gently caress we'll burn a case in two months "because it's $2/bottle cheaper" is beyond me.

Like, in developing the lobes for business you're gonna gently caress up. I get that. But there is just some poo poo that's not worth buying. Especially when you don't get any kickbacks from the salesmen on their bullshit shelf placements for things nobody wants, or when the stonewall on doing returns on busted bottles on an order or poo poo that's been mistagged.

I've ordered the same case of Sauza Silver 100% Agave for the last three weeks. The same case of Sauza gold 100% agave keeps coming back to the shop because it has been tagged at the warehouse as silver. I've sent it back repeatedly with increasingly loud words of "STOP loving UP" but nobody listens or cares. You'd be absolutely flabberghasted at the amount of crap that was in the back storeroom when I started here years ago. I sat on a case of Bellows Blend for two years because the dude who bought it got cancer and stopped drinking.

I generally cut anywhere from 4-8 cases from every order that I haven't meticulously listed out and even then I'll cut 2-3/truck on a sixty case order. In house salespeople are beyond inept and my boss does not look at his own stock to make sure what they're telling him is the truth. God help me if I get another case of beer that was not ordered that he accepts the deliver of that we've already got six cases in the cooler because some loving rear end in a top hat at warehouse modifies the delivery sheet so they don't have to unload the truck. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE EXTRA OF AND REJECT THE SURPLUS.

Edit: Stop buying Titos. It's watered down everclear and Tito is an rear end in a top hat. Buy 360 Vodka instead. It's cleaner, smoother, and has less fusel and esters in it which leads to a lower body-load. However your other alcohol choices are excellent.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 26, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My manager said, "You want to work tomorrow?" Joking, but not joking. I thought about it for a moment.

I was on my fourth day. I had one day off, with four days of work in front of me.

Nine days on. During inventory.

"Nah," I said. "I ain't full-time yet."

"But that's when you need the work the most!" She countered, and I laughed. Then I assured her that I busted rear end and got all my poo poo squared away. Everything was fine.

She's weird, because she gets that she can only expect so much from people who are paid what we're paid, but she also expects people to be ready to take all the time she'll give them. She doesn't get why the cashiers ( who get little time ) all want to bounce as soon as their shift is scheduled to end. "They can't wait five more minutes?" is something I've heard said in earnest.

I think I gently caress with her sense of things, because I will work through my breaks, and I will grind out however long I have to go in order to get poo poo done- but I want to leave as soon as I can every single night.

therobit posted:

LOL how TF can you own a liquor store and not understand that most people buy the same bottles month in and month out and if they don't have your bottle, you go to another store?

Sometimes if I ask feeling cashy or l have a special occasion to shop for I get something nice, but every month or two I buy Tito's vodka, Appleton Estate rum, and Altos tequila. If my store ran out of those I would go to the store across town. If my store ran out twice I wouldn't go back.

Amen. I think I'd slit my wrists if I went to the liquor store and they didn't have Evan Williams 1783 or Turkey 101. Baby needs his bourbon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

Edit: Stop buying Titos. It's watered down everclear and Tito is an rear end in a top hat. Buy 360 Vodka instead. It's cleaner, smoother, and has less fusel and esters in it which leads to a lower body-load. However your other alcohol choices are excellent.

I am probably outing myself as a classless piece of poo poo here but I like Tito's more than the Grey Goose my wife used to make me buy before I found Tito's.

Even still when my current supply runs out I will look at the price of 360 and see if it is worth a shot. I live in Oregon and the state owns the spirits on the shelves of every liquor store. They set the prices the stores can sell at and it is apparently high when compared to other states. The pricing between different brands does not always make sense.

therobit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 26, 2018

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Our raise in April was hyped up so here I was expecting like maybe $.50 more an hour, maybe they'd even bump me up to $10 an hour!

nope it's a 2% raise, in addition to the 2% raise we got in January. Oh boy what should I do with the extra 20 cents/hour??!!

We also got a stock grant of $500 that vests in a year but you have to stay with the company

I'm a little bitter but I dont know what I expected

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Been working roughly nine hour days since last Tunday, and have had a nasty flu/cold.

Not getting a full day off until Wednesday, and on Tuesday to do inventory, I need to come in at 6 am, work until 10, leave then come back at 4 until close, and my closing partner is a guy who hasn't shown up in two weeks. I'm trying not to complain because the Manager has been busting his rear end even harder, like full 6 to 10 days for about the same amount of time.

I'm so tired and frazzled I'm starting to think it's a good idea to just start screaming at the next parent who lets their kid come in and just ruin whatever section of the store they think has the most interesting garbage.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

therobit posted:

Because then how can we blame online for putting down the little mom and pop businesses

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pentaghastly posted:

I'm a little bitter but I dont know what I expected

Expect nothing, be pleasantly surprised. That's what I do.

I had to leave work this morning due to food poisoning. That's a solid 4.5 hours off my check that I can't make up because we are so tight on labor/shifts. I hate getting sick.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I think I gently caress with her sense of things, because I will work through my breaks, and I will grind out however long I have to go in order to get poo poo done- but I want to leave as soon as I can every single night.

You are certainly not doing yourself any favors here. I had this attitude for a while in retail but it will get your nowhere.

Not only that but you're invariably loving with someone else's break time. I hated trying to go meet my girlfriend for a measly 30 minute lunch only to have it pushed back by 20 minutes because someone else just had to finish a cart instead of going on break when they were scheduled.

Your workload will still be there when you get back.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The other day I was ordering a part for some ancient guy. This guy would not stop making noises with his mouth. It sounded like he was smacking his lips or moving his tongue around in his mouth. It was loving gross.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Dentures?

We had this one woman who had some sort of tick that required her to keep a folded paper towel between her lips and teeth. If she took it out her jaw would chatter. Fine, no big deal, certain people have things they can't control, I get it.

What was really loving gross is the towel would inevitably be soggy as hell. She'd set it on our counters, use her hands to dig through her purse, and always paid in cash. Anyone who help her would finish and lather themselves in germx and wipe down the area with Lysol wipes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

You are certainly not doing yourself any favors here. I had this attitude for a while in retail but it will get your nowhere.

Not only that but you're invariably loving with someone else's break time. I hated trying to go meet my girlfriend for a measly 30 minute lunch only to have it pushed back by 20 minutes because someone else just had to finish a cart instead of going on break when they were scheduled.

Your workload will still be there when you get back.

No, because I work alone. Nobody helps me unless I ask, and even then, it will be a manager. I really don't have a great interest in a 30 minute unpaid lunch when it just means I'll end up eating some junky food and getting bored, although some days I do it on the basis of why not.

And my ever-expanding workload is why I don't take lunches. I am a shark swimming through poo poo and if I stop I will drown in it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anora posted:

Been working roughly nine hour days since last Tunday, and have had a nasty flu/cold.

Not getting a full day off until Wednesday, and on Tuesday to do inventory, I need to come in at 6 am, work until 10, leave then come back at 4 until close, and my closing partner is a guy who hasn't shown up in two weeks. I'm trying not to complain because the Manager has been busting his rear end even harder, like full 6 to 10 days for about the same amount of time.

That's the manager's problem. Just call off. A day's rest will work wonders.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

No, because I work alone. Nobody helps me unless I ask, and even then, it will be a manager. I really don't have a great interest in a 30 minute unpaid lunch when it just means I'll end up eating some junky food and getting bored, although some days I do it on the basis of why not.

And my ever-expanding workload is why I don't take lunches. I am a shark swimming through poo poo and if I stop I will drown in it.

Fair enough about working on your own. That has to be pretty nice in of itself. But without being a cynical rear end in a top hat; working through breaks is just signaling to management that you're willing to do all kinds of ridiculous poo poo. You will very rarely be compensated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MC Hawking posted:

You don't have to tell me that, I'm imminently aware. Poor folks around here gotta have they fuckin' Kentucky Deluxe goddamnit. There is no good reason why we don't have an extra case of that in the back when on a slow week we'll burn 2x half gallons, 1x 1L and 1x 750ml. Same goes for Takka. There isn't a lot of money in it, but that's a bread and butter item for any liquor store. Why he's buying five goddamn cases of Castillo rum, an item which i swear to gently caress we'll burn a case in two months "because it's $2/bottle cheaper" is beyond me.

First Rule of Retail: Restock what sells.

Second Rule of Retail: Never kill a customer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

First Rule of Retail: Restock what sells.

Second Rule of Retail: Never kill a customer.

Third rule: rule number two is arbitrary depending on your manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No no, the first rule is The Spreadsheet Is Always Right