Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right. With Tarzan Alive you pretend it's real because that's part of the fun. But I have a very hard time imaging anyone not being in on the joke, because of course everybody knows Tarzan is a fictional character.

I can attest that the Scout Leader truly believed that Tarzan existed. He was not an educated man, and I don't mean to belittle him, but he was passionate in his belief. Farmer's book convinced him of something he'd always felt was true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Robot Wendigo posted:

I can attest that the Scout Leader truly believed that Tarzan existed. He was not an educated man, and I don't mean to belittle him, but he was passionate in his belief. Farmer's book convinced him of something he'd always felt was true.

There are a few iconic characters this seems to happen with; people tend to somehow reflexively forget that Sherlock Holmes isn't real, for example -- see, Scotland Yard and Arthur Conan Doyle's birthplace both building statues of Sherlock, not Doyle, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, that's fair enough. I used to think the Scarlet Pimpernel was real.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know a good book stand that won't scratch the surface it's on? I see a bunch of recs online, but none of them seem to have rubber feet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could always use a cork backed tablemat under it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

learnincurve posted:

You could always use a cork backed tablemat under it?
I could, but it'd just end up taking up a lot of space on my desk or wherever I keep it that way. Might as well get a smaller solution that does it all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I went on 4chan's literature forum once. Those people get all randy talking about Atlas Shrugged in just about every second thread.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Thats true tho, that's why I only read Ben Shapiro's tweets

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is he wrong?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

Is he wrong?

You've been underperforming recently

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
let's make sure the TBB contingent is represented in the great lowtax fundraising drive

e: because he's dying

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi TBB, I lurk but only sometimes post. I just wanted to blab about how I found the section of my district library that will download books directly to your Kindle. I wish it had more nonfiction I was interested in, but nevertheless this is extremely good and saves me from impulse purchases.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Given recent events I finally decided to start Sick Little Monkeys and came across this gem in the foreword:

Sick Little Monkeys: The Unauthorized Ren & Stimpy Story Revised posted:

It's not healthy for you to be so obsessed over someone you have never even met. Or to harass girls who have never done anything to you. You're gonna end up in a mental hospital or worse if you don't see a shrink.

All your crazy deeds are on record and are adding up. I'm sure people like bob are not going to like it when they find out you are using them to stir up your own trouble.

An email from John Kricfalusi to author Thad Komorowski. I think John intended this email for himself but accidentally hit send.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
gently caress, I just found out that Philip Kerr died fairly recently. He apparently had another Bernie Gunther book banked so Greeks Bearing Gifts won't be his last. Still, what a bummer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Is he wrong?

No.

It's like how average Russians actually read their national literature, because under Soviet rule there was no entertainment except classical literature, and even after the regime fell apart they haven't overcome this cultural deprivation.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

botl's rapsheet posted:

You've managed to generate more reports in five days, one of which you spent on probation, than the rest of the entire subforum has generated in the past several months.
:allears:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is that supposed to make him sound bad?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it just shows that those fixers can’t be arsed to engage with criticism (regardless of whether it's harsh or not) and instead just report because it’s "ruining our fun"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ruining nerdboi fanfiction, that's just too far

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One does wrestle with the question about why they should be afforded protections they did not offer to the original author

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://lmtribune.com/northwest/rancid-crabtree-loses-his-best-friend/article_902a5d9e-3444-581f-a79b-b90ad1690969.html

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Are there sites like Goodreads that aren't actually Goodreads? I find the interface to be neither good nor fun but I don't really know of any alternatives. Google turns up a few but I'd like opinions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Doc Fission posted:

Are there sites like Goodreads that aren't actually Goodreads? I find the interface to be neither good nor fun but I don't really know of any alternatives. Google turns up a few but I'd like opinions.

What exactly are you looking for? For example, I like LibraryThing as a way to catalog my books, but there's virtually no social aspect to it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I feel the pain though, I've virtually stopped using Goodreads after the last update a year or two ago where they made the home page feed a loving mess to navigate and read content from the people you follow. Blergh.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Goodreads is chill because like 99% of people just review like YA fiction or whatever and then there's genuine weirdos who review stuff by tedious Europeans from dalkey archive

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is also a weird sub culture of ANGRY AND LOUD OLDS in the forums who want the site to go back to how it was in 2006 and think their opinion means more than anyone else’s because they joined early on, and DEDICATE ALL OUR SPARE TIME TO BEING LIBRARIANS.

It’s amazing how they all still completely refuse to install addblock because it’s too “complicated” when they can deal with advanced librarian tools, and instead think the site should go subscription only so it can be free from the evil amazon overlords. You can tell who they are because their names read as stuff like “Linda *~hates the new homepage~*” (actual real example)

I like to annoy them.

The site is the wrong shade of white now gate was absolutely amazing “Goodreads turn the brightness down you are giving me a headache!” Was an actual thread title. Best part was they didn’t do anything that update but slightly change the font. “Give us our home page button back” drama was a real treat as well - they removed the button saying home because you could also click on “Goodreads” to go to the homepage. Oh the ruffled feathers and “I’m old I don’t understand!” On that one.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

advanced librarian tools

card catalogues and like a busted rear end computer from the 90s to process ill?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's a loving joke that you need a masters to become a librarian. The public sector is a pyramid scheme.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

jagstag posted:

card catalogues and like a busted rear end computer from the 90s to process ill?

he's actually talking about being a 'goodreads librarian', which means that you can edit the database on the site and correct book info if it's incorrect through a fairly stupid and unintuitive interface.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

despite reading hella books i have terrible reading comprehension

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How many books on Goodreads are actually rated less than 3??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How many books on Goodreads are actually rated less than 3??

i know at least 5 :hehe:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krankenstyle posted:

i know at least 5 :hehe:

Out of all the books ever written ever?? Those five must be awful.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
free bravest of the lamps, stop the persecution and rename this place the bitch barn immediately

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this broken hill posted:

free bravest of the lamps, stop the persecution and rename this place the bitch barn immediately

he was actually probated by the man who mods the podcast forum, but your rename suggestion is sound in any case

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is botl hassling marc maron now?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

this broken hill posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The new RGD mod allowed an open attempt to argue for BotLs freedom with a sixer if you lose.

I have accepted the risk in the name of justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The new RGD mod allowed an open attempt to argue for BotLs freedom with a sixer if you lose.

I have accepted the risk in the name of justice

you should attempt every six hours