Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
a few days ago the NYT published an op-ed by David Reich about race and genetics, and now:
https://twitter.com/Anthrofuentes/status/978769607770148864
intellectual diversity, indeed

aware of dog has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

aware of dog posted:

a few days ago the NYT published an op-ed by David Reich about race and genetics, and now:

Sorry, a guy named David Reich is writing about race and genetics?

That's a little too on the nose even for you, NYT

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
David Reich the Third

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

not ny times, but race science related! sam harris published a spiritual sequel to his chomsky email exchange wherein he comes off like an absolte poo poo head and manages to let ezra klein of all people get the better of him lmao

https://twitter.com/samharrisorg/status/978766308643778560

warning: reading this may give you brain worm larvae

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

aware of dog posted:

My boss sent that article to us (he is a geneticist) and the article is actually generally correct and I agree with its point about it being counterproductive to deny the fact that genetic differences between human populations do exist, since that's just a thing that is kind of obviously true. The only significant thing I disagreed with was the idea/implication that there's any real significance to stuff like that gene predicting years in education (we're basically incapable of proving any causal relationships when it comes to behavioral traits like that which likely have countless genetic and environmental factors contributing to them, and I think most people will misinterpret "predicts" as "causes"). But the greater point about human populations that can be grouped together genetically existing and having actual differences that might have some tiny impact on certain complex traits is still valid, though I would make sure to heavily emphasize the relative insignificance of these differences and the fact that they're irrelevant when discussing individuals.

Generally speaking, there are a lot of non-scientists who just blindly assert things about this topic, and I think that's risky because, as the article says, it lets racists call them out as ignorant and dominate the discussion with their own flawed conclusions.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sorry, a guy named David Reich is writing about race and genetics?

That's a little too on the nose even for you, NYT

Ein David, ein Reich, ein Times.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

My boss sent that article to us (he is a geneticist) and the article is actually generally correct and I agree with its point about it being counterproductive to deny the fact that genetic differences between human populations do exist, since that's just a thing that is kind of obviously true. The only significant thing I disagreed with was the idea/implication that there's any real significance to stuff like that gene predicting years in education (we're basically incapable of proving any causal relationships when it comes to behavioral traits like that which likely have countless genetic and environmental factors contributing to them, and I think most people will misinterpret "predicts" as "causes"). But the greater point about human populations that can be grouped together genetically existing and having actual differences that might have some tiny impact on certain complex traits is still valid, though I would make sure to heavily emphasize the relative insignificance of these differences and the fact that they're irrelevant when discussing individuals.

Generally speaking, there are a lot of non-scientists who just blindly assert things about this topic, and I think that's risky because, as the article says, it lets racists call them out as ignorant and dominate the discussion with their own flawed conclusions.

I think the main complaint is not anything regarding genetics, but that "human population" is conflated with "race." I don't think there's any serious scientist that would deny there's differences between subgroups of human beings, but whether or not those align with our concept of race is a different matter

aware of dog has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Mar 28, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I love how these disingenuous, racist pieces of poo poo keep insisting that they are the brave ones for pushing a variation of something that has been the dominant ideology for 600 years. Charles Murray has an academic production that wouldn't get tenure at any 2nd rate university, and yet he gets paid 30-40k a pop per speech at all the most prestigious universities. If he wrote with the same "sophistication" about any non-racist topic he'd never get the light of day. And the evidence is that there are several experts that have thoroughly debunked Murray, but none of them get 1/1000 the attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/978942313853603842

the WARMONGERING new york times

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

*Holds aluminium tube against forehead*

Imminent threat to US national security

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The failing Guardian

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/978958099464753152?s=19

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

But if the talks fail, or simply drag on, the reactor could also be part of the justification for military action — at least if the past arguments of Mr. Trump’s newly appointed national security adviser, John R. Bolton, prevail. In March 2015, just before the Iran deal was struck, Mr. Bolton argued in a New York Times op-ed that neither negotiations nor sanctions would stop Iran from bolstering its nuclear and weapons programs. He has since made similar arguments about North Korea.

“The inconvenient truth is that only military action like Israel’s 1981 attack on Saddam Hussein’s Osirak reactor in Iraq or its 2007 destruction of a Syrian reactor, designed and built by North Korea, can accomplish what is required,” Mr. Bolton wrote. “Time is terribly short, but a strike can still succeed.”

Before and after the announcement of Mr. Bolton’s appointment last week, the National Security Council did not respond to several requests for comment on the evidence that North Korea’s new reactor is being started up. Mr. Bolton assumes his new role on April 9.

Look at this poo poo here. John "I still think the Iraq war was a good idea" Bolton is the lone voice warning about the need for airstrikes on North Korea, while the feckless NSC ignores the incredible danger this nation, with it's GDP equaling a whole seventieth of Apple's net worth, surely poses. But don't worry, Bolton's gonna be taking over soon and he'll whip those bastards into shape!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If anybody wants to mock Tom Friedman his latest column is entitled "how Mark Zuckerberg can save facebook...and us"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
hahaha jesus

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

If anybody wants to mock Tom Friedman his latest column is entitled "how Mark Zuckerberg can save facebook...and us"

"By shuttering the company" doesn't really feel like something that could be easily stretched into a full column.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

docbeard posted:

"By shuttering the company" doesn't really feel like something that could be easily stretched into a full column.

only someone completely unfamiliar with tom friedman's work could think he wouldn't be up to that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ross douthat has a column today titled "marco rubio must be destroyed" which manages to argue both that liberals and high school students yelling at marco rubio for being an NRA shill is making him unpopular and make some baby steps on gun control moderation and also that liberals and high school students need to be nicer to marco rubio or else he wont work with them

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think if I were a publisher, my newspaper wouldn't have an opinion section.

Way back in the day, maybe you only hear opinions from random mouthy jerkoffs and the opinion page. Nowadays, everybody's got a megaphone and they're bitching nonstop. Readers don't need your opinion page, and it only serves to piss them off. Maybe just turn the whole page into letters to the editor.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I think if I were a publisher, my newspaper wouldn't have an opinion section.

Way back in the day, maybe you only hear opinions from random mouthy jerkoffs and the opinion page. Nowadays, everybody's got a megaphone and they're bitching nonstop. Readers don't need your opinion page, and it only serves to piss them off. Maybe just turn the whole page into letters to the editor.

ideology and outrage are the product, not the news.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/978746895047774208

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A failing goatee

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

docbeard posted:

You could probably stretch a description of Deus Ex's Tracer Tong ending

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/979066326542180353

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Did everyone see Thomas L. Friedman's newest column? His descriptions of the world and understandings of recent events make me want to die! Also, baseball metaphors.

In much the same way he claimed the world was flat 15 or so years ago, Friedman tells us that the world has become fused

And the big finish

And final thoughts:

Tim Freeman is a sheltered rich rear end who is playing at ideas like a child playing with his (OR HER) hands

He got exposed as a dumb gently caress during the iraq war and has been payed very well over the last decade and a half to continue exposing himself as a dumbfuck bi-weekly or whatever

All of you knew all of this already.

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Mar 28, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
suck on this

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Over Easy posted:

A good take, I like the image thing, makes it a bit easier to read

Also for docbeard's benifit, oh ye of little faith, notice that the entire contents of this column is:

• poo poo happens
  • poo poo has happened, and IT WAS AWESOME
  • poo poo has happened quite recently that is bad, but was in no way predicted or could be anticipated
  • what to do about it? Here are some vague totally unhelpful business blandatries from a guy I'm describing as an expert
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME

I've no goddamn idea how long Friedman has been writing op eds at the NYT but suffice it to say aside from the being a mouthpiece for whatever mad dog in the GOP is barking about foreign policy, he's been publishing the same column with the same content for like - 20 years?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Over Easy posted:

Did everyone see Thomas L. Friedman's newest column? His descriptions of the world and understandings of recent events make me want to die! Also, baseball metaphors.

In much the same way he claimed the world was flat 15 or so years ago, Friedman tells us that the world has become fused

And the big finish

And final thoughts:

Tim Freeman is a sheltered rich rear end who is playing at ideas like a child playing with his (OR HER) hands

He got exposed as a dumb gently caress during the iraq war and has been payed very well over the last decade and a half to continue exposing himself as a dumbfuck bi-weekly or whatever

This defies parody

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

A good take, I like the image thing, makes it a bit easier to read

Also for docbeard's benifit, oh ye of little faith, notice that the entire contents of this column is:

• poo poo happens
  • poo poo has happened, and IT WAS AWESOME
  • poo poo has happened quite recently that is bad, but was in no way predicted or could be anticipated
  • what to do about it? Here are some vague totally unhelpful business blandatries from a guy I'm describing as an expert
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME

I've no goddamn idea how long Friedman has been writing op eds at the NYT but suffice it to say aside from the being a mouthpiece for whatever mad dog in the GOP is barking about foreign policy, he's been publishing the same column with the same content for like - 20 years?

yes

his books are also the exact same thing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao i read it and what the gently caress purpose does the inning metaphor even serve??? it explains nothing

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
As I saw the robot car slam into the woman at 80 mph, killing her instantly, I could only look at her mangled corpse and say: "And welcome to the Jam."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

I like how he conflates the communist threat to "liberty" as the world itself. Like it would be a world-ending experience to, instead of being forced to live in a lovely apartment with little prospects for the future - you're forced to live in a lovely apartment, and also it's illegal to post antisemitic memes on the internet.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like how he conflates the communist threat to "liberty" as the world itself. Like it would be a world-ending experience to, instead of being forced to live in a lovely apartment with little prospects for the future - you're forced to live in a lovely apartment, and also it's illegal to post antisemitic memes on the internet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

yes

his books are also the exact same thing

I'll never know what the gently caress my professor was thinking when she assigned The World is Flat to us for our junior year "International Economics" course in college. This was at NYU Stern too, so it wasn't like some random college business program. Friedman's stuff just comes off as so obviously stupid that it's hard to comprehend how an educated adult with a PhD who literally studies economics could read that book and think "mm yes, very insightful, I should assign this to my students."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol at thinking any business school has academic merit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'll never know what the gently caress my professor was thinking when she assigned The World is Flat to us for our junior year "International Economics" course in college. This was at NYU Stern too, so it wasn't like some random college business program. Friedman's stuff just comes off as so obviously stupid that it's hard to comprehend how an educated adult with a PhD who literally studies economics could read that book and think "mm yes, very insightful, I should assign this to my students."

friedman has made an extremely lucrative career of writing "gee globalization sure is changing everything and reaches everywhere" over and over again while studiously refusing to do any analysis which makes it the perfect cirriculum for business people to make them aware that the modern neoliberal world is hosed up and unintuitive and not designed for human livability but also to train them not to think about why it is that way

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GalacticAcid posted:

David Reich the Third

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/979088208825741313?s=19

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Their job is to see how few people they can employ and still technically gull others to create news-flavored text, and they are clearly good at it. The system works!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the metaphor would have been so much better and actually made some kind of sense as him communicating there had been some sort of paradigm shift with some kind of reversal if he said now it was the bottom of the inning and suddenly we were playing defense. or something. what are the other seven innings going to be? did the other team, who i guess is technical failures, score a lot on us and now we have to get in more runs? is humanity exactly 1/9 of the way through technological development?

thats one of the worst friedman metaphors in quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

academic capitalist economics is basically a junk science like astrology or chiropracty and is mainly an exercise in cheerleading

richard wolff who studied economics at stanford and yale and got his phd at yale in economics basically says this a lot whenever he talks about the current academic field

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-186-executive-producer-feat-richard-wolff-21818