Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
This thread makes me feel like I need a cockatiel in the future, yours are so cute. I also need more budgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

EDIT: ^^^ Same

After losing my leopard gecko pal of 22 years half a year ago, I think I'm ready again for an animal companion. For some reason, a loud, smart, trouble-seeking, dumb, loud bird seems like a good choice. A lot of the links are dead in the OP, or telling me how to get huge with steroids, but I've been trying to get educated on birds. I've always loved cockatiels (and the other 3 people in the house are cool with it. They have had cockatiels around before). I have a few questions for the thread on stuff I may have missed.

Nobody is home from M-F 9am-2pm (I get home at 5) and I'd hope that a cockatiel wouldn't go nuts with that much alone time. I would plan on having the cage in the dining room, as it's central and people pass through a lot. My thinking is that it would help the bird not feel lonesome? Or does it stress a bird to have people pass through and not stop at the cage, in a sort of "hey, where are you goin?!" sort of way? Or is it one of those It Depends sort of things?

Do birds *do* second cages? If possible, I'd like to be able to bring the prospective bird into the (furnished) basement where most of my crafts and projects happen. Because crafts and projects are happening, I'd like to be able to keep the bird nearby to keep them company, but out of the way. Does that make sense? Will a bird ever think of it as a second hang out spot, or get bitter that it's being stuck in not-their-home, or Does It Depend?

What do you wish you knew when you got your first bird or specifically a cockatiel?

These might be dumb questions, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna make a bird housed but unhappy. Thanks in advance for any answers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes cockatiels have no trouble being alone for most of a working day. Just make sure to greet them in the morning, and give them plenty of attention in the evening. It's definitely best to have multiple birds who can keep each other company.
When you talk about bringing the birds along to your crafts room, what kind of crafts are those? Keep in mind that birds' respiratory system is especially sensitive, so anything that generates fine dust, or contains solvents, should be kept away from them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Assuming budgies are generally interchangeable. It definitely wouldn't die being alone from 9-2. 9 is a good time for morning sunshine and squawks with friends so make sure he gets some morning attention.

You can definitely do the two cages thing but once the bird is comfortable with you he will not want to stay in his cage while you do stuff. My bird has made painting very difficult recently because of his insistence on being part pf the process (perches on my brush, gently swat him away, bird screams, flies onto mason jar with brushes, stares at me and does his "I'm going to be lovely" head twitches, picks up individual brushes and flings them, flies onto paper, tears up the corners, flaps onto paint palette, pecks at the paint cakes [BAD], I flail, bird screams, flies back to his cage door, sings, bobs head, repeats)

So yeah they definitely like to "be there".

As for the traffic stressing the bird, it really does depend. If people walking around and not fussing over him becomes routine he should adapt. My bird doesn't like it when I pop in and leave, he'll signal for me for a bit.

It's great they've all had tiels before. My two housemates don't care much for the bird and one of them wants me to get rid of him because he's home all day and feels personally attacked by a few minutes of tweeting now and then.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The crafts is mostly painting miniatures or normal painting. Every once in a couple months I'll solder something small, but I wouldn't keep the bird around for that. There's a dehumidifier down there that filters air so I would hope nothing nasty lingers around.

I should also say that the other 3 haven't been cockatiel owners before, but have been around them, so they know that they'll squawk loudly but I don't think they would know, for instance, what a bird can/can't eat.

Thanks for the responses

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Rotten Cookies posted:

The crafts is mostly painting miniatures or normal painting. Every once in a couple months I'll solder something small, but I wouldn't keep the bird around for that. There's a dehumidifier down there that filters air so I would hope nothing nasty lingers around.

I should also say that the other 3 haven't been cockatiel owners before, but have been around them, so they know that they'll squawk loudly but I don't think they would know, for instance, what a bird can/can't eat.

Thanks for the responses

Paint throws up a bit of a red flag for me, actually. Depending on the type of paint, the fumes can be dangerous. I don't know much about paint beyond what I found in my quick Google search, however.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Model paints are pretty fumey.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Model paints are pretty fumey.

Most Warhammer/wamahordes/miniature fighting figure model painting these days is acrylic which gives up no fumes . If it's acrylic then the only fumes you would give up is spray priming which you always do outside.

Edit:. Unless you doing car / plane/ ship models then I am not sure but I do know people that paint those are very detailed oriented and will try to match the paint exactly to the point they would use the original paint if they could

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 28, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It's D&D/warhams type minis. Acrylics, no airbrushing. Not using anything wild to clean my brushes, no turpentine or harsh paint thinners.

If it's a worry, I just wouldn't paint around the bird.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

EVIL Gibson posted:

Most Warhammer/wamahordes/miniature fighting figure model painting these days is acrylic which gives up no fumes . If it's acrylic then the only fumes you would give up is spray priming which you always do outside.

Edit:. Unless you doing car / plane/ ship models then I am not sure but I do know people that paint those are very detailed oriented and will try to match the paint exactly to the point they would use the original paint if they could

Oh those kinds of models! I was assuming you were using the ones mentioned in your edit. My brother would do those kinds of models as a kid and those plus the turpentine = fume heaven

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's D&D/warhams type minis. Acrylics, no airbrushing. Not using anything wild to clean my brushes, no turpentine or harsh paint thinners.

If it's a worry, I just wouldn't paint around the bird.

Just as long as they don’t eat it they should be fine.

Tiels are relatively bomb proof as far as birds go. A typical work day will be no sweat as long as they have toys, maybe a radio or tv for ambient noise, and get to hang out in the evenings.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I worked 8 to 10 hour days with both cockatiels I had. They were both still well-socialized happy birds. Just make sure they get some quality time when you're home and they should be golden.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tendai posted:

I worked 8 to 10 hour days with both cockatiels I had. They were both still well-socialized happy birds. Just make sure they get some quality time when you're home and they should be golden.

I can't speak to 'tiels, but there was a brief period where my wife was working about the same hours I was and Yoshi was alone for eight hours, and it's this, I think. As soon as I got home, I unlocked him and actively played with him for awhile, and he was fine. Our vet says he's one of the most well socialized birds she's met (and we know she doesn't say it about every bird because of our previous budgie). We spend basically all of our time at home at least partially paying attention to him, though, and it's important to know that. He wants attention, constantly. He doesn't always know how to communicate exactly what he wants and sometimes just screams, for an intolerable amount of time. Sometimes, my wife, being pregnant, is tired and just wants to sleep, and he gets bad that our bedroom door is closed and screams until I show him that she is sleeping and would bore him.

EVIL GIBSON:

I also echo some of the concerns about paint fumes with fig-painting. Birds have very tiny respiratory systems and I would recommend researching your paints specifically, if you can. The other worry, really, is that you're going to have to keep constant vigilance, because birds like to play with your toys, and the way birds explore things is by licking them. If you are spending all of your time painting figs, your bird may want to play with it, and will, to make sure it is safe, lick it experimentally. Keeping your bird from doing this will be a headache and may make their excursions to Fig Painting Room a chore.

in terms of "second cage," I think a stand is good, if:

A) you are okay walking back and forth sometimes
or
B) the room in question is within flight distance of the cage and it's okay for birb to fly back and forth.

For awhile, our setup was such that I spent a lot of time in our office, so we kept a plastic stand with a boing there. If Yoshi wanted to stay with me, he'd sit on me, or keyboard, or walk around the desk, or sit on his boing. If he didn't, he'd just fly back to his cage.

All of those are the thoughts of a budgie owner, so take 'em with a grain of salt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My old cockatiel survived my alcoholism, and was possibly the sweetest animal ever. Cockatiels are pretty hardy, which makes them a good first time bird.

Parakeets are hysterical, but pretty insane and flighty.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

My old cockatiel survived my alcoholism, and was possibly the sweetest animal ever. Cockatiels are pretty hardy, which makes them a good first time bird.

Parakeets are hysterical, but pretty insane and flighty.

There’s a reason :derptiel: is called derptiel

They have a charming little :downs: approach to life; they’re dumb enough that you don’t have to keep them constantly supervised and will make you laugh at their stupid antics, but smart enough that they’ll occasionally dazzle you with momentary brilliance.

The cockatiels I’ve known have been dumber but sweeter than budgies. Budgies pack a lot of personality into a tiny package, enough that they often bully the sweeter-natured tiels. Tiles still have that tiny bird fury, but it’s oddly a lot more impotent despite being quite a bit larger than budgies. They’re a lot more cuddly and easier to handle though.

Basically tiels and budgies are perfect first birds, but for different reasons.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

There’s a reason :derptiel: is called derptiel

They have a charming little :downs: approach to life; they’re dumb enough that you don’t have to keep them constantly supervised and will make you laugh at their stupid antics, but smart enough that they’ll occasionally dazzle you with momentary brilliance.

The cockatiels I’ve known have been dumber but sweeter than budgies. Budgies pack a lot of personality into a tiny package, enough that they often bully the sweeter-natured tiels. Tiles still have that tiny bird fury, but it’s oddly a lot more impotent despite being quite a bit larger than budgies. They’re a lot more cuddly and easier to handle though.

Basically tiels and budgies are perfect first birds, but for different reasons.

My old parakeets would come out to play when old Wandy was in her cage. She would poof up in a bottom corner and hiss at everything until they went back in for the day.

It was hysterical.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spencer update: He's been with us for about a month now and we're beginning to get accustomed to his body language which is quite different from Scout's. Scritches are still on his terms only but that has become more frequent as he seems to be getting used to us. Yesterday evening I braved The Beak and let him preen my beard which was kind of a thrill because it was sweet as he was more exploring my beard than preening, and ultimately didn't involve my face being mutilated.

I think there are two big challenges ahead: his cage dependence and our apprehension at the capability of his beak. We're making progress on both fronts. The cage dependence I view as matter of us gaining his trust, and showing him we're not just another foster home. His beak is also a trust issue but for us. We weaned Scout off of hard biting and Spencer is mostly already there but we don't know him well enough to trust it implicitly and he will lunge when he gets uncomfortable which causes us to recoil from him.

Lots of learning for all of us ahead and the small steps made so far have been really great, especially since that it shows that he's able to work with us.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

"Help I bought 2 mangoes and one tried to bite me so I had to put it in a cage... strangest mango"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy and Sera are sharing millet. are they friends now?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RoboRodent posted:

They could just be apeshit for millet :kimchi:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

They could just be apeshit for millet :kimchi:

Why not both?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm scratching my head here -

My juvenile cockatiel, Serra, eats all day. She is a healthy weight and constantly snacking. But I haven't found a non-Cheese Nip treat that will motivate her to do things. Millet? She'd rather have a scritch. Yoghurt balls? Scritch please. Nutriberries? Great, but I'd like a scritch first.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Speaking of Tiels, Darby just wanted to drop in on this thread and say hello.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My juvenile cockatiel, Serra, eats all day. She is a healthy weight and constantly snacking. But I haven't found a non-Cheese Nip treat that will motivate her to do things. Millet? She'd rather have a scritch. Yoghurt balls? Scritch please. Nutriberries? Great, but I'd like a scritch first.
That doesn't seem like a problem, that seems like a feature.

A good bird.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i had the cleaners in today and the first thing archer did was say, "whatcha doing!?" to them. the second thing he did was start flirting with them

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shark Sandwich posted:

i had the cleaners in today and the first thing archer did was say, "whatcha doing!?" to them. the second thing he did was start flirting with them

Judah used to flirt outrageously with any loud man who came into my house, be it the Safeway delivery guy or my landlord. Loud men were extremely his thing, apparently. Cockatiels are great

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jerm324 posted:

Speaking of Tiels, Darby just wanted to drop in on this thread and say hello.

oh my GOD look at his face

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Log posted:

My dog is the same way. Pill pockets? Actually, would you scratch my butt? Mmmmmmmmm peanut butter? *turns 180, puts butt near hand*

The only treat my dog goes for are those super lovely cardboard-like Milkbone treats they use at shelters. I think I'm getting her to be less afraid of dehumidified chicken strips though, probably helps that they legitimately taste amazing even to a human.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RoboRodent posted:

Seagrass mats!! Irresistible to any birb!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

https://i.imgur.com/DMil2ZB.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This summarizes budgies and why each and every one of you will go and get a budgie right now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahahahahahahaha. I can totally see this happening, but I'm amazed that they managed to film it.

Also I have that exact pink ball.

e: also, the entire couch being set up as the budgie's playground, with toys strewn throughout it rings extremely, powerfully true

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My female parakeet is completely yellow and as my father said, "A very hate filled, grumpy bird."

I swear her life is nothing but mean muggin' things.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every time I come back to this thread and see that budgie I just lose it :allears:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Does everyone else accurately hear which noises it's making and when?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been 20 years since I had budgies but I can still hear that furious skreeking noise

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A budgie is about 16 people's worth of sheer emotion crammed inside something that weighs as much as a compact disc.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

A budgie is about 16 people's worth of sheer emotion crammed inside something that weighs as much as a compact disc.

A pro-parakeet click -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlF5SwQePFA&t=66s

BABY CHICKEN!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Shamefully stealing this, repeatedly and often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I already own a Fiona Apple album.