Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

academic capitalist economics is basically a junk science like astrology or chiropracty and is mainly an exercise in cheerleading

I'm still grateful for one of my econ professors explaining to us that the national debt is total bullshit and doesn't matter at all and anyone trying to compare it to a household budget is a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I'm still grateful for one of my econ professors explaining to us that the national debt is total bullshit and doesn't matter at all and anyone trying to compare it to a household budget is a loving moron.
let's say a bank gives $1000 to John to do some yard work for the bank

now let's say John takes that money and opens a credit deposit at the bank with his $1000

according to people scaremongering about the national "debt", the bank is now in debt by $1000 plus the interest they owe to John

the scenario of course becomes even more ludicrous if you make it so the bank is the sole issuer of the fiat currency for that $1000

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

National debt matters to the point where you can no longer service interest payments, in which case you can just issue more money to cover it. That might devalue your currency, but it's not going to cause any kind of default. A country could only default these days if there was a political will for it, and guess who was talking about defaulting on the national debt during 2016? :)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the US government doesn't even actually have to issue treasury bills that bears significant interest if congress decides it's not in the national interest

it's gonna require some extreme brain worms by deficit hawks to argue that the US government is somehow in "debt" when it issues treasury bills bearing literal negative interest rates as it has done so recently

the only real danger of issuing too much money is too much inflation

there's a zero percent chance of defaulting on currency you issue yourself. the talk of defaulting is all just a theater charade to justify gutting social welfare and other pro-workers programs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'll never know what the gently caress my professor was thinking when she assigned The World is Flat to us for our junior year "International Economics" course in college. This was at NYU Stern too, so it wasn't like some random college business program. Friedman's stuff just comes off as so obviously stupid that it's hard to comprehend how an educated adult with a PhD who literally studies economics could read that book and think "mm yes, very insightful, I should assign this to my students."

condolences on having spent a couple hundred grand to get the privilege of being propagandized to at a b-tier finance finishing school.

hopefully you got something useful out of it

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

National debt matters to the point where you can no longer service interest payments, in which case you can just issue more money to cover it. That might devalue your currency, but it's not going to cause any kind of default. A country could only default these days if there was a political will for it, and guess who was talking about defaulting on the national debt during 2016? :)

This is another fun reason why the EU is a poo poo show nobody should want a part of.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

condolences on having spent a couple hundred grand to get the privilege of being propagandized to at a b-tier finance finishing school.

they're all b-tier.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's shocking how few words you have to switch out to make this about the history of colonialism

all that "first inning" poo poo about promise and discovery and technical marvels could have come right out of the mouth of a white Victorian millionaire. same with the bits about how more people can compete and create and collaborate (within the capitalist framework of exploiting others) than ever before

the "second inning" lines up decently with how they eventually realized that people were starting to notice that this new lifestyle was powered by the brutal oppression of pretty much everyone else in a way that didn't really fit into their ethical framework, and so they came up with a kinder, gentler capitalism and foreign policy where everyone was still being exploited but the sharp edges were filed off the crushing brutality and narratives were created saying that it was for their own good

and naturally the finish lines up well with decolonialization, when the worldwide network of direct domination is deemed to be too expensive, and dismantled in favor of a soft domination using economic power where anything that threatens the "fair" economic competition between those unstable client states and the corporate conglomerations that sucked them dry for decades is considered a great threat to the world

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I'll never know what the gently caress my professor was thinking when she assigned The World is Flat to us for our junior year "International Economics" course in college. This was at NYU Stern too, so it wasn't like some random college business program. Friedman's stuff just comes off as so obviously stupid that it's hard to comprehend how an educated adult with a PhD who literally studies economics could read that book and think "mm yes, very insightful, I should assign this to my students."

economics departments exist to cheerlead for business departments

your teacher was a hack and your discipline is a lie

hth

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimesguild/status/979317613867294726?s=21

labor aristocrats

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like how he conflates the communist threat to "liberty" as the world itself. Like it would be a world-ending experience to, instead of being forced to live in a lovely apartment with little prospects for the future - you're forced to live in a lovely apartment, and also it's illegal to post antisemitic memes on the internet.

It's a good point. Though this is the guy who quoted somebody else saying "the business of business is not just business. The business of business is society" (god that was difficult to parse.) Tom Friedman lives in the eternal sunshine of the thoughtless mind

WampaLord posted:

Paul Krugman says this too

zeal posted:

hth

Yeah Ytlaya that'll learn ya for posting ITT in agreement with something and revealing your past intellectual crimes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haha, already gone

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Here's a little piece about the workingman's hero, Jared Kushner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/us/politics/jeff-sessions-jared-kushner-prisons.html

I once thought he was an influence-peddling wonder of nepotism. Thanks to this article, I can now see him as "the president’s reform-minded son-in-law."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

haha, already gone

if you didn’t see it the MTA was, for some reason, doing a Twitter Q&A and the nyt reporters union tweeted a picture of a homeless person sleeping on the subway at them and asked “when are you going to clean this up, why do we have to endure this???” (paraphrase)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Badger of Basra posted:

if you didn’t see it the MTA was, for some reason, doing a Twitter Q&A and the nyt reporters union tweeted a picture of a homeless person sleeping on the subway at them and asked “when are you going to clean this up, why do we have to endure this???” (paraphrase)

lmaooo please tell me someone got a screenshot

a callback to Michael Barbaro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

GalacticAcid posted:

here you go

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/979377241992978433

and bonus

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/979374792146149379

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
FAILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/979396635703889921

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shrike82 posted:

It was not particularly useful, though I did fortunately have a scholarship (though I was still out like $20k in loans; if I could go back in time I would have just gone to a state school that gave a full scholarship). The most useful thing I gained from it was a number of networking connections I'll probably never use since I no longer work in anything related to finance/business.

I just find it amusing because, even as far as economics goes, Thomas Friedman is particularly stupid. Like, there's plenty of other mainstream economics stuff that isn't quite as obviously stupid. Usually they manage to at least write things in a way that comes off as impressive and complex to laypeople, but Friedman is obviously a fool who has no idea what he's talking about.

zeal posted:

hth

Hey, it isn't my discipline (thank god); I double majored in information systems and now work as a programmer at a public university for a web tool used by geneticists/biologists.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I also had a Friedman excerpt assigned in college, in an "International Political Economy" course. It was an excerpt from Lexus and the Olive Tree and his thesis was that telecommunications let financial transactions happen faster and he came up with a new metaphor of an "electronic herd" to communicate that this led to the development of a herd mentality that made it so all the money piled into one trade that could destabilize the market or spill over into the rest of the economy by driving a company into bankruptcy by speculators bidding up their borrowing costs into a self-fulfilling trade or something, since that had never happened before they invented computers.

Badger of Basra I recall you took some classes or worked for a prof in the same department, it was McDonald.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

one of the big paper assignments from my introductory ir course was a book response — lexus and the olive tree, jeffrey sachs' the end of poverty and one similarly insipid title i can't remember. i spent the whole paper ruthlessly attacking friedman and got an a

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Consistently weirds me out how many people in the politics shitposting forum have like actual degrees in things

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

Consistently weirds me out how many people in the politics shitposting forum have like actual degrees in things

im getting a phd lol

e: imo its not really a new phenomenon most of the dada movement which was basically the shitposting movement of their time in response to the 1910s and 1920s were ubereducated

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Mar 30, 2018

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

im getting a phd lol

e: imo its not really a new phenomenon most of the dada movement which was basically the shitposting movement of their time in response to the 1910s and 1920s were ubereducated

HowToBasic is the Deschamps of our generation

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

i have a masters in economics lol im going to loving kill myself

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
America must stay in Syria for the long term in order defeat the vast Persian empire, says random Brookings shithead.

It's hilarious how quickly he hops from "The world seems to be dreading Bolton's inevitable Iranian clusterfuck," to "Okay, but if you really want to take down the Iranians you gotta spread that clusterfuck around the whole region."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

TrilliontonNixon posted:

America must stay in Syria for the long term in order defeat the vast Persian empire, says random Brookings shithead.

It's hilarious how quickly he hops from "The world seems to be dreading Bolton's inevitable Iranian clusterfuck," to "Okay, but if you really want to take down the Iranians you gotta spread that clusterfuck around the whole region."

For the sake of intellectual diversity, the NYT now has to publish an article titled "How The United States Used The Saudi Model to Dominate The Arabian Peninsula"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Crane Fist posted:

dictatorship of the proliterate*

*in another thread a goon getting their Phd taught an intro class on the Russian revolution, and had to grade many papers, and to lessen the pain shared the more amusing insanity/typos with us, this is one of them

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Crane Fist posted:

higher education teaches that everyone, especially you, is retarded, primarily for being there in the first place

not like me im gonna take my degree and work in INDUSTRy and then KiLL MYsELF over it

fabergay egg has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Mar 30, 2018

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Iranian imperialism: good now that a NYtimes opinion writer is against it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That classic modern geopolitical reality, the Iranian Empire

gently caress off

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LinYutang posted:

Iranian imperialism: good now that a NYtimes opinion writer is against it

the NYT defender has logged on

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
proxy death squads: extremely woke when the CIA isn't involved

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:gb2d&d:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, man, the Palestinians said this was going to be a peaceful protest, and then we shot and killed a bunch of them. What a bunch of loving liars, those Palestinians.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/979742812672585728

I seem to remember yesterday or something Israel setting up like 100 snipers on the border wall in preparation for this slaughter.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

a callback to Michael Barbaro

This pisses me off, like how do you see this and not be sadned by this human tragedy abbr think only of it "being dangerous"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

KomradeX posted:

This pisses me off, like how do you see this and not be sadned by this human tragedy abbr think only of it "being dangerous"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

KomradeX posted:

excuse me he also thought it was unacceptable

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, man, the Palestinians said this was going to be a peaceful protest, and then we shot and killed a bunch of them. What a bunch of loving liars, those Palestinians.

I seem to remember yesterday or something Israel setting up like 100 snipers on the border wall in preparation for this slaughter.

does that tally include the random farmer they shot with a tank for no reason this morning before the protests even started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidSPJM/status/979744132661956608

i thought this guy was a parody but then checked his bio and nope he actually is a rabidly zionist new york media editor