Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

what's the diamond for food-grade ethanol look like

pretty tame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zil posted:

Reply from manufacturer: "Pour it down the drain."

Erin Brockovich just felt a great disturbance in the force

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Data Graham posted:

Erin Brockovich just felt a great disturbance in the force

Hell your local wastewater treatment plant is having a fit just imagining that poo poo hitting the water table.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Didn't they make a whole movie based on the town where everybody was dying from chromium VI in the groundwater?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

Didn't they make a whole movie based on the town where everybody was dying from chromium VI in the groundwater?

Yeah, "Erin Brockovich."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Notable for the epidemiology and toxicology not lining up to prove anyone had anything directly relatable to Cr-VI because its a lottery at the exposure levels in the community (in the background noise level of the exposure curve). On one hand this paints it as a NIMBY thing, on the other hand since it wasn't a closed loop when it could have been it was a homerun for them ignoring as low as reasonably achievable practices. Not to mention it got a lot of the actual malevolent bad actors with Cr-VI, like the dumping pickling/chroming liquor barely treated assholes, to take notice.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Over the past few days I suffered from repeated and prolonged exposure far in excess of recommended personal exposure limits.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rozzbot posted:

Over the past few days I suffered from repeated and prolonged exposure far in excess of recommended personal exposure limits.

I have no particular knowledge about fluorocarbons, but apparently KFC is an effective antidote.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Speaking of Chromium (VI), I think I linked in here a while some guy who wanted to build a hybrid rocket in his backyard using ethanol fuel... and chromium trioxide as the solid-state oxidizer.

E: yeah here it is

May as well just post the OP:

quote:

[open sentence 1]Hello, most I know about rockets I learned from Scot Manly and "vintage space" on YouTube, most I know about chemistry I also learned from YouTube, and reading what not to do on MSDS papers, I have access to lots of chromium trioxide and ethanol, and I wanna build a Hipergolic reverse hybrid rocket with liquid fuel and solid oxidizer, this one I'm working on it tiny, the grain is 2 cm wide and like 10 cm long , and I have all the equipment and knowledge to do it safely (hazmat too) asside from it spewing cancer out the nozzle, is there anything I should consider whether this setup?[close sentence 1] I'll post photos when it's ready, but I just wanted to run the idea by this subreddit

Fun fact, apparently the carcinogenic mechanism of Cr6+ is getting into your cell nucleus and forming heavy metal salts with your DNA.

Fender Anarchist has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Mar 19, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Seems about right for hexavalent chromium.

Lead basically plops its fat rear end in any zinc channel it can find and doesn't leave. Something like that at least. Whatever screw biochem.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Whatever screw biochem.

Hey, now - that's chromium VIs job!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Rozzbot posted:

Surely there's a suitable chromium isotope that could complete the hazard symbol pyramid

Yup that's the stuff I used to make glazes with.

Trick is to get it mixed *just* enough so the glassing agent coats the Chromium crystals before they start to decompose. (It tends to go clear if it's overheated because of side reactions with the glass)

It's a tricky color to make since you only have a ~10deg C window to hit where it will go glassy and before the Chromium starts to break down.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Speaking of Chromium (VI), I think I linked in here a while some guy who wanted to build a hybrid rocket in his backyard using ethanol fuel... and chromium trioxide as the solid-state oxidizer.

E: yeah here it is

May as well just post the OP:

Fun fact, apparently the carcinogenic mechanism of Cr6+ is getting into your cell nucleus and forming heavy metal salts with your DNA.

On the other hand, Cr(III) seems to have an important role in glucose metabolism, being part of a signalling complex formed when insulin binds to a cell wall. Cr(VI) specifically is bad, but chromium itself is an essential mineral.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

All the talk of horrifying rocket propellents reminded me of this fun (fictional) story about "red mercury".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ATP_Power posted:

All the talk of horrifying rocket propellents reminded me of this fun (fictional) story about "red mercury".

That's a good read. Totally fictional of course, but good.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

quote:

rocket scientist who spent the 1950s in California and New Mexico, as a graduate student researching rocket fuels under John D. Clark
:getin:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The truth about Red Mercury is its own entertainingly insane story, though it sadly also leads to people trying to disassemble land mines. :(

The Curious Case of Red Mercury
Campaign Against Red Mercury

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vavrek posted:

The truth about Red Mercury is its own entertainingly insane story, though it sadly also leads to people trying to disassemble land mines. :(

The Curious Case of Red Mercury
Campaign Against Red Mercury

Here's another interesting not an explosive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafnium_controversy

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200706/backpage.cfm

Imaginary Weapons, Sharon Weinberger's book on this subject, is a fascinating read.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Old "educational" videos are a goldmine for terrible lab practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGm80IFtbfA&t=196s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhuuOWteelc&t=866s

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Mar 25, 2018

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Old "educational" videos are a goldmine for terrible lab practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGm80IFtbfA&t=196s

Ah, a Jam Handy production! I recognized the narrator immediately.

There are a whole lot of old educational, industrial and military films available if you have a Roku. Joe Screwdrivers Retro Tech Time Machine puts hundreds of them up for streaming. It saves having to search them out on YouTube.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This seems like it could potentially get pretty FOOF-y: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03977-w

Attempting to use AI to plan reactions for making new substances.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

wolrah posted:

This seems like it could potentially get pretty FOOF-y: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03977-w

That reminds me of a proposal I saw a while back; the idea was that with new developments in molecular sieves and chromatography and all that, we can isolate a molecule of anything from a mixture of reaction products, while the best method for creating new compounds is just "Throw some things in a beaker and wait for it to stop fizzing". So, why not take this to its full extent, and just throw everything in a vat to react together so we can isolate out interesting stuff later? The best part is that the whole vessel would proceed to equilibrium, so as we find and isolate anti-cancer drug #294, the vessel would produce more of it, while whatever muck we throw back in would be produced less. Will post it once I get home and can look it up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it's first drafts are pretty near an ideal synthesis candidate it's big news. But a lot of the more popular molecule churning softwares already had an index of possible pathway steps they could propose and it was a matter of getting the grad student to cross reference some of the roundabout or insane steps with something that made more sense.

Robots have been churning chemistry bullshit since mainframes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wolrah posted:

Oh good, so Skynet can *tell* some chemist that they've stumbled across the ultimate artificial sweetener when in fact it's the world's deadliest delayed carcinogenic substance.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Ignition posted:

Just as Wharton was starting his IBA work, there occurred one of the weirdest episodes in the history of rocket chemistry A. W. Hawkins and R. W. Summers of Du Pont had an idea. This was to get a computer, and to feed into it all known bond energies, as well as a program for calculating specific impulse. The machine would then juggle structural formulae until it had come up with the structure of a monopropellant with a specific impulse of well over 300 seconds.

It would then print this out and sit back, with its hands folded over its console, to await a Nobel prize.
The Air Force has always had more money than sales resistance, and they bought a one-year program (probably for something in the order of a hundred or a hundred and fifty thousand dollars) and in June of 1961 Hawkins and Summers punched the “start” button and the machine started to shuffle IBM cards. And to print out structures that looked like road maps of a disaster area, since if the compounds depicted could even have been synthesized, they would have, infallibly, detonated instantly and violendy. The machine’s prize contribution to the cause of science was the structure,
H—C=C—N N——H to
O O
F F
which it confidently attributed a specific impulse of 363.7 seconds, precisely to the tenth of a second, yet. The Air Force, appalled, cut the program off after a year, belatedly realizing that they could have got the same structure from any experienced propellant man (me, for instance) during half an hour’s conversation, and at a total cost of five dollars or so. (For drinks. I would have been afraid even to draw the structure without at least five Martinis under my belt.)

Sorry for the hosed up formula, I'm phone posting, hopefully someone will correct it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Claptain posted:

Sorry for the hosed up formula, I'm phone posting, hopefully someone will correct it.

quote this if you laugh every time

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Enourmo posted:

H-C-NOpe :stonk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Enourmo posted:

the definition of :stonklol:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Enourmo posted:

So what kind of horrible side effects would this have on the human body? Or would it just be straight up blowing you up into neat piles of ash and body parts?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Enourmo posted:

So apart from the context and the fact it involves Fluorine, can someone talk me through exactly how horrible this is?

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Mar 31, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That triple carbon bond looks so out of place.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Zil posted:

So what kind of horrible side effects would this have on the human body? Or would it just be straight up blowing you up into neat piles of ash and body parts?

I don't think that thing is subtle enough to have side effects. Everything it does is effects.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So apart from the context and the fact it involves Fluorine, can someone talk me through exactly how horrible this is?

I only did three semesters of chemistry in university, but my understanding is that the nitrogens want to be N≡N, and will become so as soon as someone looks at them funny, making all the oxygens, flourines and hydrocarbons blast out everywhere.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The NOF here stand for gently caress NO.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Enourmo posted:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zil posted:

I'm hoping that the dot above the right carbon atom is a chunk of cropped text and not a free electron somehow chilling on an alkyne group

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Is that a carbon radical? :allears:

edit: can't be that would be a 9th electron

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arglebargle III posted:

Is that a carbon radical? :allears:

edit: can't be that would be a 9th electron

This is the free radical form. The stable form has a couple of covalent Fluorines ([F2]:2 hanging off that C using only van der Waals. That should stabilize this thing just fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Enourmo posted:

So does this thing explode if you
A. look at it
B. think about it
C. the moment you write the formula down?

e: by C, i mean does the diagram itself go boom.

iospace has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mustached Demon posted:

The NOF here stand for gently caress NO.

I don't remember much from the two chem classes I took in college (besides the hot girl sitting beside me wearing near-transparent Daisy Dukes), but yeah, even I know that much, and was going to make that joke if you hadn't.