Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmt5Gq7_5HI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oh God they're even more unnerving when animated.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Is that.. All might..

Oh god that look so weird.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
@ girls fighting: What about Soul Eater? Or Twin Star Exorcists?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

@ girls fighting: What about Soul Eater? Or Twin Star Exorcists?

Not Shonen Jump manga. Although TSE runs in Jump Square, which is also a Shueisha publication.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'd be okay if this movie was just Deku and his skeleton dad going on a nice vacation.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kekkaishi was interesting because the female lead was explicitly weaker than the male lead despite the two of them sharing same basic power set, but she kept working at it and learned effective techniques that relied on fine control rather than brute force. it was also interesting in lots of other ways.

Yeah Kekkaishi was pretty decent if my memory serves me correctly. The female lead was pretty great too in how she went about doing things. Might be time for a reread

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I'd be totally down for Uraraka having a really kickass CQC fight with a villain and have it basically be every bit as blood-spitting as most of Midoriya's fights

Uraraka is cool and deserves a good serious fight

Super move: Throwing motherfuckers into orbit.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Wasn't one of the strongest people in all of bleach that unassuming female captain?

Also if you want a show with a strong female lead check out Twelve Kingdoms.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Also the original point is "Bleach is still better about letting women fight than MHA" which, like, still isn't wrong

To be fair though, MHA is 170 chapters in. At this point in Bleach I'm pretty sure we'd only gotten a short fight with Orihime getting her powers and the Yoruichi v Soi-Fon fight. Toga's had more action than that by herself.

There does need to be more asskicking from the ladies though, I agree.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Wasn't one of the strongest people in all of bleach that unassuming female captain?

Also if you want a show with a strong female lead check out Twelve Kingdoms.

technically but her only fight is basically feeding herself to kenpachi so he can power up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And then Kenpachi goes 1:3 in his last 4 fights.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Nephthys posted:

To be fair though, MHA is 170 chapters in. At this point in Bleach I'm pretty sure we'd only gotten a short fight with Orihime getting her powers and the Yoruichi v Soi-Fon fight. Toga's had more action than that by herself.

There does need to be more asskicking from the ladies though, I agree.

At that time Bleach was actually still good with female characters getting cool stuff. It wasn't really until after Rukia beat not-Kaien that it got bad about that. Lots of neato people showing up to do one mood then have their fight disappear off screen, but I think that ended up happening to every single female character introduced. None of the Vaizard ladies did anything after being introduced, maybe one token attack that got shrugged off by villains here and there? Then uh, Zombie making lady quincy and the one that made things explode? Cause Nel didn't do poo poo after spitting a couple explosions at people and Halibel did literally nothing.

Man, this series doesn't have a high bar to clear for giving its girls a time to shine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What about Claymore? That was a promising female-protagonist series that never devolved into stupid bullshit, right?

:shepicide:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I couldn't tell if the bullshit in Claymore was stupid or not because both the action and the story were incomprehensible. Dorohedoro is more easily parsed than Claymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Halibel did literally nothing.

But her top fought a desperate battle against gravity in every panel.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
How many extra chapters are there in Illegals? Is it just 6 (Alpha, Beta), 7 (Alpha) and 9 (Alpha)? Viz doesn't have the extras so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

At that time Bleach was actually still good with female characters getting cool stuff. It wasn't really until after Rukia beat not-Kaien that it got bad about that. Lots of neato people showing up to do one mood then have their fight disappear off screen, but I think that ended up happening to every single female character introduced. None of the Vaizard ladies did anything after being introduced, maybe one token attack that got shrugged off by villains here and there? Then uh, Zombie making lady quincy and the one that made things explode? Cause Nel didn't do poo poo after spitting a couple explosions at people and Halibel did literally nothing.

Man, this series doesn't have a high bar to clear for giving its girls a time to shine.

Zombie making lady actually turned out to be a crossdresser and this was revealed by the gay guy saying he 'reeked of semen'. Yes, really. For some reason I clearly remember that part more than the rest of that clusterfuck of an arc.

I actually stopped reading Bleach at around that time so that's some unsurprising news to me. Before that mid-Bleach was OK when it came to girls. Nel did get to whoop that misogynist dudes rear end before getting taken out by the plot, Halibel also got to have a full fight with Toshiro before becoming irrelevant, Soi-Fon had a fight, a bunch of B-list girls got to do stuff and Yoruichi contributed against Aizen. I think Yoruichi did actually get to do something in the later Quinchy stuff too but she always was treated as a top tier fighter iirc.

I think the main thing with both Bleach and MHA is that its main female characters aren't treated as being particularly strong and don't get to keep up with the male cast. Which sucks for MHA but I don't see it changing any time soon. At least Toga got to inexplicably whoop Deku's rear end that one time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Claymore was fun and crazy; it also ended pretty well. The show ending sucked because they decided to write their own instead of doing what Berzerk! did and just basically go "and read the comic if you want to find out what happens (then wait two decades lol)"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Claymore owns even if we never got to see the real war involving dragon people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could never get past the look because drat was claymore ugly to me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The mangaka is kinda bad at drawing which you can see in angel densetsu but he does get lot better through Claymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eej posted:

Claymore owns even if we never got to see the real war involving dragon people

none of the claymores had any reason to ever care even the tiniest bit about the war they were essentially an r&d lab in service of. they were trying to get free of all that bullshit and the monsters produced for it and they did, the end.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm fine with how it ended since going to the Dragon War or whatever would have just been unnecessarily extending the comic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eej posted:

The mangaka is kinda bad at drawing which you can see in angel densetsu but he does get lot better through Claymore.

the art is a lot better in his current series yea

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
My problem with Claymore is that every other character is a slim blonde woman with silver eyes and the same uniform and I can't tell anyone apart unless they're actively talking about each other by name.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/981511296075014144

mmmm that MHA placement isn't great

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yaiba, moving on up!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shokugeki fuckin dying :rip:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

what does this mean?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

what does this mean?

It’s how each series ranked for popularity by whichever chapter came out 7 weeks ago

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gmq posted:

what does this mean?

Table of Contents order is usually indicative of popularity

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Surprised at how high Yuuna is. And I'm one of those weirdos who like Yuuna.

I wonder if this MHA placement was determined around the very beginning of the new arc, which was still a bit slow.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s how each series ranked for popularity by whichever chapter came out 7 weeks ago

Makes sense. End of overhaul arc was a down period.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mirage posted:

Surprised at how high Yuuna is. And I'm one of those weirdos who like Yuuna.

this is how I feel about black clover

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My Hero Academia makes big bucks. I don't think we have to worry about it's rankings.

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is how I feel about black clover

Shits gotten pretty drat interesting over in Clover town.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m always pleasantly surprised when I see Neverland’s ranking. I’m glad it’s doing well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shits gotten pretty drat interesting over in Clover town.

looking at what was happening 7 chapters ago, I guess I can see it. it's pretty standard stuff but the kids this is aimed at wouldn't know or care about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Nice to see Dr. Stone doing well. It's a fun little manga.