Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hi there grappling thread.

I'm looking for pretty entry level leg lock defences. I've spent an hour or so on youtube. From you guys I'm looking no so much for specific techniques but guidelines. ie when opponent has my foot in this position, grab his head to prevent him moving backwards. Or, "don't put your foot there, dummy". Pretty basic stuff only, I've trained a bunch but not leglocks and I've been out of the game for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

I'm looking for pretty entry level leg lock defences. I've spent an hour or so on youtube. From you guys I'm looking no so much for specific techniques but guidelines. ie when opponent has my foot in this position, grab his head to prevent him moving backwards. Or, "don't put your foot there, dummy". Pretty basic stuff only, I've trained a bunch but not leglocks and I've been out of the game for years.

#1 - Hand fighting. Buddy has your leg? Grab his hands.

#2 - Work to get your knee out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

What do you want to know? :allears:

A lot of the poo poo you'll get into can be prevented with a few rules and not being lazy with your feetsies. If you want to start at the basic stuff:

1) If you don't want to get foot locked, make sure that you have both of your feet inside their feet. So, much like the rule about how to avoid getting triangled - never have 1 arm in their guard - either both arms in or neither, similar for foot locks. Examining the bottom of open guard, if you maintain double butterfly hooks, your feet are inside your opponents feet. If you and your opponent were both sitting on your respective butts, if your feet were in between your opponents feet, you'd have inside position (similar to how you want inside position when you're pummeling with your arms for double underhooks). This also leads into the next point:

2) If you don't have inside position, loving get inside position. Bad things happen when your feet are outside of your opponent's feet and start to get isolated. This is same as any other submission in BJJ - trap, isolate, submit. A lot of what you are going to do to defend is to clear issues that are preventing you from regaining posture, and then work on regaining your structure to prevent them from foot locking you.

3) IF you can get heel hooked, be cognizant of where your heels is and if it is exposed. Heel hooks are very solid submissions, so you always want to know where your heel is, and what you are doing to discourage your opponent from attempting to get a heel exposure. A lot of the time, making sure that your other foot is covering your heel to prevent that heel exposure (and eventual heel hook).

There may be a nugget in this rambling mess of instructions and half truths and I'm too lazy to delete it or start over :effort: - the best thing is to get into the gym with a leg lock guy and start going through the defences, because drilling >>> reading at this point.

EDIT: Remember to not instinctively pull your foot in when your opponent attempts to toehold you. This is exactly the :wrong: way to defend the hold, and you're going to hurt your knee. :smith:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 3, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that I feel like I am at the same level, but for about a month and a half now I've been doing really well against the blue belts at my school in sparring (tapping them more often than getting tapped). There are one or two guys who will pretty much maul me but the rest I'm actually making it competitive and stopping a lot of their offense and making them go on defense.

Granted I've basically been a white belt for forever thanks to moving around and such but it is a nice confidence boost knowing I'm able to be competitive with guys higher up than me when we roll.

As for actual grappling question, anyone have suggestions for stretching/yoga stuff to help with a somewhat stiff middle back (like opppsute side of the belly button)? I have a foam roller as well if that helps with making a suggestions.

Anyway sorry for the dumb ego post. Just thought I'd share as I've been doing BJJ since 2008 off and on and now that I'm much older I feel like I understand it way more than I did when I was in college.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 4, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know that you weren't looking for technique but this has been helpful for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frvt96SJa58

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

That looks like an awesome escape, but it is entirely premised that the leg that is being attacked is straight.

Most control positions will include some sort of bent leg, as its makes it easier to control (you now have a new handle - their knee) and harder to escape.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I mean there's the super basic one where you peel the reaping leg and then sit on the other side of it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

this was weird to watch cuz I just moved and train with the guy who isn't firas zahabi there

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean there's the super basic one where you peel the reaping leg and then sit on the other side of it.

I've gotten a lot of reversals from the bottom against white/blue belts by grabbing a handful of lapel or sleeve and shoving a foot in their armpit. It's like catnip or something. No matter how bad they are at ankle locks they can't help but go for it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Craig jones shows a really good counter to that on his leg attacks from down under. Basically what you do is as they go to peel the foot off, you kick your leg straight (stripping their grip), pummel your inside leg to the same side as your other leg and go to double outside ashi. From there, you can finish the ankle lock, or transition to saddle (get to your knees, sit on their guts, and then slide off into the position). It's basically my favorite counter du jour as everyone attempts to peel the leg off when you attack the initial ankle lock.

EDIT: For Count Rolland (:v:):
http://www.grapplearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Modern-Leglocks-position-cheat-sheet.pdf

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

#1 - Hand fighting. Buddy has your leg? Grab his hands.

#2 - Work to get your knee out.

This is great.

Thanks to the others too. I can't really move my neck today so I don't know when I'll be back to class. When I do go I'll try and drill some of the base positions.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Riding a lovely ankle lock into top position/pushing through a lovely toehold until you’re on top is probably the greatest feeling that there is

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Random reminder that Quintet is next Wednesday and will be on UFC Fight Pass

Link: https://www.ufc.tv/video/quintet-1

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Riding a lovely ankle lock into top position/pushing through a lovely toehold until you’re on top is probably the greatest feeling that there is

this is extremely my poo poo, i love hoisting myself fatly on top of people that think they have my ankles or that i would care even if they did. break them bitch. i never ank

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009
A guy at my gym passes my guard every time with this super basic move that i can’t stop, and I’m sure it’s because I am missing one simple concept. Hoping you guys can help.

In my full guard, puts his face into my belly, grabs near my belt with both hands, elbows tight to my hips and close to the floor. He then pushes back away from me until my guard easily breaks around his very low posture. I think the hands at my sides also have lapel in the grip, to stop me from sitting into him. I’m basically pinned there and he passes his head under a knee to finish.

His head is tucked low and goes like a turtle head into his gi so a cross collar choke would just catch his forehead.

I haven’t seen or been taught this pass anywhere, so I definitely haven’t seen a counter, but it seems so silly that there must be something I can do.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Can you break his grips? If he's that tight to you you should be able to 2 on 1 an arm and clamp guard him or something like that to get the offense going.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

when people do poo poo like that to me I frame with one hand on their ear and the other on their hip and start shrimping.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but could you do a triangle from that low of a posture?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VRViperII posted:

A guy at my gym passes my guard every time with this super basic move that i can’t stop, and I’m sure it’s because I am missing one simple concept. Hoping you guys can help.

In my full guard, puts his face into my belly, grabs near my belt with both hands, elbows tight to my hips and close to the floor. He then pushes back away from me until my guard easily breaks around his very low posture. I think the hands at my sides also have lapel in the grip, to stop me from sitting into him. I’m basically pinned there and he passes his head under a knee to finish.

His head is tucked low and goes like a turtle head into his gi so a cross collar choke would just catch his forehead.

I haven’t seen or been taught this pass anywhere, so I definitely haven’t seen a counter, but it seems so silly that there must be something I can do.

Frame and technical stand up into a front headlock.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Frame and technical stand up into a front headlock.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I’ll report news of my victory.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Any good BJJ podcasts? I listen to Stephan Kesting

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

VRViperII posted:

If you do positional sparring at your gym, try doing your best impression of his technique to the upper belts when you get the chance and pay attention to what they do to shut it down, then try to do the same thing to him. If he's one of those upper belts, just ask the other ones straight-up how to deal with it, because goodness knows they've had to think about it even more than you have.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nestharken posted:

If you do positional sparring at your gym, try doing your best impression of his technique to the upper belts when you get the chance and pay attention to what they do to shut it down, then try to do the same thing to him. If he's one of those upper belts, just ask the other ones straight-up how to deal with it, because goodness knows they've had to think about it even more than you have.

Or you could just ask the guy how to defend against it. If he's not a complete turd he'll tell you.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

Any good BJJ podcasts? I listen to Stephan Kesting

Grappling Central is pretty good, a lot of big names coming on and talking at length about a good mix of technique and personal experiences/stories.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

VRViperII posted:

I use this and similar passes a whole lot. For it to work I need #1 to have your hips stuck to the ground and #2 flatten you out. So you want to be off your back and not getting your hips sucked in underneath me, that's where the battle is. You have a lot of options especially with the gi - spider guard, posting feet on knees/hips, seated guard, etc. This is really an underappreciated skill I think, you can use it to shut out larger or more aggressive guys and it's a defense against people looking to latch on to the hips and stall.

In terms of specific techniques/approaches you could maybe look at Marcelo Garcia's seated guard stuff.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Am I at all off base for wanting to roll my eyes every time one of my coaches talks about needing to represent for "the team" at competitions? The other day one of them brought it up "School X got more points than us last year at this comp so we really want to show up and get the title back."

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you want

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Am I at all off base for wanting to roll my eyes every time one of my coaches talks about needing to represent for "the team" at competitions? The other day one of them brought it up "School X got more points than us last year at this comp so we really want to show up and get the title back."

Nope. Everyone should be encouraged to compete, but absolutely no one should be forced to compete.

Also, rival gyms are like the dumbest poo poo ever. The 80's called, they are tired of your poo poo.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Nope. Everyone should be encouraged to compete, but absolutely no one should be forced to compete.

Also, rival gyms are like the dumbest poo poo ever. The 80's called, they are tired of your poo poo.

It's not even the competition mentality that makes me want to roll my eyes. It's the idea that jiu jitsu is in some way truly a team endeavor.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It absolutely is! It's hard to get better without training partners, but it doesn't mean you're a slave to the gym. It's a two way street though, not a one way.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

It absolutely is! It's hard to get better without training partners, but it doesn't mean you're a slave to the gym. It's a two way street though, not a one way.

I think it's pretty fair to distinguish trainer partners from team mates. Competition is an individual endeavor. Training is a group endeavor.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm weirded out by dads in camo pants with mohawks screaming as their 9 year old fights my 9 year old at jiu-jitsu tournaments.

Like, I haven't heard one of these dudes yell "break it!" yet at little kids, but they get pretty intense over it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

I'm weirded out by dads in camo pants with mohawks screaming as their 9 year old fights my 9 year old at jiu-jitsu tournaments.

Like, I haven't heard one of these dudes yell "break it!" yet at little kids, but they get pretty intense over it.

Combat sport parents are literally the worst.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Apparently at my gym, you don't get blue belt if you've never competed...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spb posted:

Apparently at my gym, you don't get blue belt if you've never competed...

Isn't that up to the person in charge though? If they have that rule, then that's just the way it is?

I got into bjj because my kids have been doing it forever and I just enjoy the hobby of learning to fight (and also actually fighting).

I don't think I'll ever compete, and I'll be just fine if I'm a white belt forever just so long as I get to keep doing it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Isn't that up to the person in charge though? If they have that rule, then that's just the way it is?

Yes, but it's a stupid rule.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yuns can probably speak on this more but my brother told me Renzo's requires you to get three stripes before you can do nogi or free roll at all which I found interesting.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Yuns can probably speak on this more but my brother told me Renzo's requires you to get three stripes before you can do nogi or free roll at all which I found interesting.

I think that's probably fine. Requiring students to have a certain level of proficiency before they train unsupervised or with potentially dangerous attacks is reasonable.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

omg chael crash posted:

You need 3 stripes on your white belt before doing no gi because no gi starts as an intermediate class but you can roll with no stripes at all. It is typically positional rolling rather than pure free rolling but there isn't a prohibition to the best of my knowledge. It's mostly that new white belts should be working mostly on guard passing and positional work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

Yes, but it's a stupid rule.

It's dumb yeah and thinking of changing gyms because of it tbh