Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jiren doesnt really seem like a villain to me. Although I dont know what these mysterious Pride Trooper motivations are yet since I didnt look at those spoilers. Ill give you my brain droppings on this matter in a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cell is pretty thin as a character outside of him being an insect that acts on pure instinct

But he's also voiced by Norio Wakamoto so he's perfect.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Jiren isn't a villain what the hell thread.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
He fills the role for the arc

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

would antagonist work better for you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

Opponent.

Future ally in the battle against immoral gods.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

Jiren actually fighting is great.

Jiren being STRONGER THAN YOU TIMES A GAJILLION when he stopped attacks by staring and poo poo was terrible.

This is why I don't get people saying power levels don't matter in Super they have entire sequences where Goku's various transformations are so weak that Jiren can just stand there and not even flinch when hit, same thing with Beerus and SSj3 they very intentionally say "if your power level is not high enough you aren't hurting this dude at all"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

This is why I don't get people saying power levels don't matter in Super they have entire sequences where Goku's various transformations are so weak that Jiren can just stand there and not even flinch when hit, same thing with Beerus and SSj3 they very intentionally say "if your power level is not high enough you aren't hurting this dude at all"

Jiren is the ghost of Power Levels past.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how much power levels matter changes from scene to scene honestly. sometimes it's a lot (like when the bad guy no sells someone's attack, which happens a lot) and sometimes they kinda ignore them for dramatic effect (like krillin's beam struggle with ssb goku)

the escalation is a little wonky at times too. any time someone is impressed that a new guy can blow up the planet, I just think back to master roshi blowing up the moon effortlessly in early dragon ball

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

the escalation is a little wonky at times too. any time someone is impressed that a new guy can blow up the planet, I just think back to master roshi blowing up the moon effortlessly in early dragon ball

It wasn't effortless, Roshi grunted and powered up quite a bit to destroy that moon. Piccolo on the other hand destroyed the moon effortlessly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJ-Z1BXMQc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

how much power levels matter changes from scene to scene honestly. sometimes it's a lot (like when the bad guy no sells someone's attack, which happens a lot) and sometimes they kinda ignore them for dramatic effect (like krillin's beam struggle with ssb goku)

They aren’t impressed someone will blow up the planet; they freak out because blowing it up will kill all the heroes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rutibex posted:

It wasn't effortless, Roshi grunted and powered up quite a bit to destroy that moon. Piccolo on the other hand destroyed the moon effortlessly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJ-Z1BXMQc

That video title is subtle, yet brilliant. I approve.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes, im much happier now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Jiren looked cool while fighting, which is literally all that's required of dragon ball antagonists.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll have poo poo taste, but that is your privilege.

I can kinda agree that Jiren's fight was cool looking, but we were talking motivation and character. And yes, Garlic Jr. was more interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mordaedil posted:

Ya'll have poo poo taste, but that is your privilege.

I can kinda agree that Jiren's fight was cool looking, but we were talking motivation and character. And yes, Garlic Jr. was more interesting.

None of the villians outside Black and Raditz had much in the way of motivation or character.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The heroic Pride Troopers starring Jiren losing to the tag-teaming evil of the villanous tyrant Frieza and the battle-hungry saiyan Goku who's never-ending lust for combat thrust them into a tournament for the future of their universes is a pretty clever upset of the usual heroic journey.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

raditz wanted his deadbeat brother to stop skipping out on work and tried to keep gohan away from him. bet he'd have gotten along well with chichi

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Freeza was just doing his job and then these uppity assholes started disrupting workflow.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

raditz wanted his deadbeat brother to stop skipping out on work and tried to keep gohan away from him. bet he'd have gotten along well with chichi

He just wanted to conquer a planet with his little bro:(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of the villians outside Black and Raditz had much in the way of motivation or character.

Not that I really want to sit down and go through every DB villain, but I really disagree.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Not that I really want to sit down and go through every DB villain, but I really disagree.

Technically they have motivation but they are painfully generic and don’t really come from anything specific to the character.

Most villians really exist to be a wall foe the Z fighters, nothing more.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mordaedil posted:

The only dragon ball villains to have any personality are the ones who stayed alive long enough to join the good guys (these are usually also the best ones)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sade posted:

The only dragon ball villains to have any personality are the ones who stayed alive long enough to join the good guys (these are usually also the best ones)

Except Tien.

Poor Tien.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Whoever created the Super Dragon Balls was probably stronger than Zen-Oh, since those dragon balls weren't erased when he erased the other universes.

So, there is some power hierarchy above Zen-Oh. Not that it's a big surprise or anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Except Tien.

Poor Tien.

dragon ball fighterz biggest accomplishment is making tien badass

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AutumnDDP posted:

Whoever created the Super Dragon Balls was probably stronger than Zen-Oh, since those dragon balls weren't erased when he erased the other universes.

So, there is some power hierarchy above Zen-Oh. Not that it's a big surprise or anything.

There is always another tier of gods in Dragonball.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AutumnDDP posted:

yeah presumably zen-oh is a GoD and he should have a supreme kai equiv

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, what is the best Dragonball videogame for me to get started on?

I have a 3ds, ps3, xbox 360, and pc (with modest specs). Any good recommendations? There are a lot of options and many of them are rather expensive, so I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. For what it's worth, I'm willing to pay good money for a very good game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AutumnDDP posted:

I have a 3ds, ps3, xbox 360, and pc (with modest specs). Any good recommendations? There are a lot of options and many of them are rather expensive, so I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal.

depends on what you're looking for? DBFZ, Budokai 3, DB Fusions, Xenoverse 2 are all good starts depending on what you want

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AutumnDDP posted:

I have a 3ds, ps3, xbox 360, and pc (with modest specs). Any good recommendations? There are a lot of options and many of them are rather expensive, so I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. For what it's worth, I'm willing to pay good money for a very good game.

Dragonball Fighter Z if you are good at fighting games, Xenoverse 2 if you are bad at fighting games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you like fighting games, dbzf; if you don't like fighting games but still want to act out dbz fights, xenoverse

hope you like fighting games and jrpgs

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man. I should note, I have no interest in online gaming at all. I'm attracted to a really good story mode that follows the series closely. The gameplay should be accessible without spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs, since I'm a little limited on free time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well this is just me but I played xenoverse entirely single player and it wasn't hard to wrap my head around. there is a bit of a grind tho, at least in the first game

idk if any dragon ball games have great stories? usually it's just an excuse to retell the story of dbz

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fighterz would not be good for you then.

As it has some fun interactions but the story itself is bleh and tedious as gently caress to get through.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If you want story, Xenoverse is probably your best bet. It's about changing time but it does a mediocre job so it follows the original story with changes far more minor than they should be until the last DLC.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

AutumnDDP posted:

I'd also say Xenoverse 2 would be best. I have the thread for DB games linked in the OP. I also updated it recently with up to date information on everything.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
If it follows the DBZ story closely then I think it has GREAT story since DBZ's story is legitimately good. I think I'll try DBZ Xenoverse 2. The PC requirements aren't very high and the gameplay looks very fun with a lot of characters.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

If you can somehow fandangle legacy of goku2 and fury of Buu (skip legacy1 trust me) for gba on your PC in recommend those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of old-school DBZ games, try "Legendary Super Warriors" on GBC. It follows the DBZ storyline very closely through cutscenes (part of why I like it). You battle foes in a turn based format, using cards and timing-combos to determine your attacks. I enjoyed it very much when I was younger, and it's very cheap too. It's not a game you hear about much, but it's definitely one of the best games on the system.