Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Pendent posted:

Astropathic communication is a thing that exists as well. If they depended on ships traversing the warp for interstellar communication I'd understand saying they can't standardize a calendar, but with functionally instantaneous FTL communication it's down to incompetence which is much more 40k.

Sailing a ship through the warp, broadcasting a thought message through warp, both surely come with the same time fuckery problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, there's a pretty good bit of warp fuckery with one of the Imperial Guard books. Basically they get sent after a distress call from a desert planet, which gets attacked by tyranids. Only problem is when they get there, there's nobody there. Turns out the message they sent out as they were getting overrun was the original distress call. So they got sent to rescue themselves, but they only needed rescuing because they got sent.
It'd almost be better if it was just a munitorum error.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Astropathic communication is less "reliable FTL communication" and more "tormented psychics playing a game of Telephone by sending each other nightmares via the Warp".

(yes, some books ignore that and just make it a super-telegraph, but that's dumb)

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Khizan posted:

Astropathic communication is less "reliable FTL communication" and more "tormented psychics playing a game of Telephone by sending each other nightmares via the Warp".

(yes, some books ignore that and just make it a super-telegraph, but that's dumb)

This is what I love about WH40k travel. It's not science. It's a flea jumping onto a rabid dog and poking it up the rear end with a sharp stick in the general direction of where it wants to go.

And the dog runs through a minefield full of poisonous plants, toxins and flea eating monsters. And the dog arrives last week because gently caress YOU, that's why

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Warp travel, literally:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Astropathy has the same problems as warp travel, maybe it’ll get there yesterday, maybe a thousand years, maybe never. Maybe the wrong person in the wrong sector will get it, maybe it will be totally misinterpreted, who knows? I’m wracking my brain trying to remember which, but a book a just read had a few pages about how messed up and unreliable it is.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, a few books mention (one of the ones in Beast Arises I just finished does) that communications from the outer rim (whatever the far away parts from Terra are called in 40k) can take months to get to Terra. It isn't instantaneous.

Edit: Also in Beast Arises, they have to capture 3 ork psykers in different systems at the same time so they don't alert each other. They have a whole department to try and sync the time. 2 of the 3 manage to pull it off simultaneously and the 3rd fails because they weren't properly synced. So clearly they can try and sync and sometimes are able to, but not always.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
In one of the Ciaphis Cain novels they receive an astropathic message that was sent decades before, the sender having long since retired.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Preechr posted:

In one of the Ciaphis Cain novels they receive an astropathic message that was sent decades before, the sender having long since retired.

In the old BFG book, there was a story about an Imperial cruiser that went to its destruction answering its own time-displaced distress call.

Or the Ork Waagh that fell apart when the fleet got dumped back in time and encountered its past self, and the warboss in charge decided to kill his past self so he could have two copies of his favorite gun.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Cythereal posted:

In the old BFG book, there was a story about an Imperial cruiser that went to its destruction answering its own time-displaced distress call.

Or the Ork Waagh that fell apart when the fleet got dumped back in time and encountered its past self, and the warboss in charge decided to kill his past self so he could have two copies of his favorite gun.

Did he get both guns? I wonder how causality works in wh40k.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose-Alini posted:

Warp did it. Probably a mix of warp fuckery and ork belief systems making it work. Causality loops probably don't factor into ork thought process so as long as the ork reckons that he's there, the timeline won't shatter.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 10, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty good bit of warp fuckery with one of the Imperial Guard books. Basically they get sent after a distress call from a desert planet, which gets attacked by tyranids. Only problem is when they get there, there's nobody there. Turns out the message they sent out as they were getting overrun was the original distress call. So they got sent to rescue themselves, but they only needed rescuing because they got sent.

Oh poo poo, I remember this book. What was it called?

I’ve been watching a lot of the 40k Theories YouTube channel, it’s neat because the creator doesn’t just read off the wiki and actually throws some interesting ideas around.

One of my current favorite theories is about Yarrick and how he’s been able to withstand injuries that would kill a Space Marine, let alone a normal human: Orks are latently psychic and can make things happen because they believe them to be true, so Yarrick is unkillable because the Orks believe that he’s unkillable. :v:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of my favorite Yarrick bits is that he got a bionic laser eye installed because he heard that orks believed he had the evil eye and and he decided that if the orks thought his eyes could kill them, then goddamnit his eyes were going to be able to kill them. So, yet again, what the orks believe became true.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moose-Alini posted:

He now has both guns. Warhammer 40k causality works mainly on "He has one gun. He goes into the warp, lands on a planet and kills someone holding another copy of his gun. Now he has two guns." along with a smattering of "Blame Tzeentch". If the universe can handle "People respond to their own distress calls they put out in the future" I'm sure it can handle copying guns, especially when the orks sort out the pesky problem of "There are two copies of each ork in the waaaaaargh" for it.

Also, at this point, hasn't Yarrick's mindset gone partially orky? I'm kind of hoping that his mindset has gone orky enough that he doesn't die of old age, he'll just start to get bigger.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 10, 2018

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember this book. What was it called?

I think it was called Desert Raiders or something? The book was about a Tallarn regiment anyhow.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

Also, at this point, hasn't Yarrick's mindset gone partially orky?
No, but he's one of the few who realize that Orks aren't all dumb brutes and are a serious threat if they can get a good leader in place.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Randalor posted:

Also, at this point, hasn't Yarrick's mindset gone partially orky? I'm kind of hoping that his mindset has gone orky enough that he doesn't die of old age, he'll just start to get bigger.

I think that was the Ork Hunter regiments fluff

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Biplane posted:

I think it was called Desert Raiders or something? The book was about a Tallarn regiment anyhow.

Yeah it's Desert Raiders. Nothing spectacular but still one of the better books in the IG series they did a few years back.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah it's Desert Raiders. Nothing spectacular but still one of the better books in the IG series they did a few years back.

Yeah it was pretty mediocre but the 40k as hell twist raises it to good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I recently started re-listening to A Distant Mirror and it occurred to me that someone somewhere should make a list of, like, 40k-adjacent media. Stuff that informs/shapes your understanding of 40k outside the actual 40k texts themselves.

Mine would probably be:
A Distant Mirror (classic overview of high middle ages and feudalism which informs a lot of how I view the Imperium)
Dune (obvious, no comment needed)
Brazil (the movie not the country)
Paranoia RPG (the darker/straighter iterations mostly)

Not sure what else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Starship Troopers

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Starship Troopers

I'd say this is more the movie than the book though, because that movie is the closest thing to the Imperium and IG that we've gotten in live action to this point.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Event Horizon

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
2000ad features many a similar vein of a very British dystopian facist future cynicism, with Judge Dredd and Psi Judge Anderson being the two most obvious standouts for 40K adjacent themes. (Adeptus Arbites, Inquisition - especially re: psychic stuff, oppressive Mega-Cities, irradiated wastelands etc.)

Could possibly make a case for ABC Warriors and Rogue Trooper, too?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Metalshark posted:

2000ad features many a similar vein of a very British dystopian facist future cynicism, with Judge Dredd and Psi Judge Anderson being the two most obvious standouts for 40K adjacent themes. (Adeptus Arbites, Inquisition - especially re: psychic stuff, oppressive Mega-Cities, irradiated wastelands etc.)

Could possibly make a case for ABC Warriors and Rogue Trooper, too?

I want to break into the Judge Dredd/2000AD "thing" but it seems like a lot of stuff to cover. Is there a good place to start?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Schadenboner posted:

I want to break into the Judge Dredd/2000AD "thing" but it seems like a lot of stuff to cover. Is there a good place to start?

The Judge Dredd Case Files are nice chunky collections of a year of Judge Dredd stories each. While many essential elements are in place from the off with Case Files 1, it is goofier and so I've seen people recommend starting at Case Files 5. I started from 1 and worked my through to 15 before being seduced by Marvel comics, but I do intend to come back one day. They go full colour in Case Files 12 FYI, if black & white comics might put you off, and I believe the 90s was a down period for Dredd, but that's from what I recall from others, as I didn't get that far.

Of course, early goofiness cohering into something grimmer and darker, though still frequently funny, is very Games Workshop.
There are also fun crossovers with (variously) Batman, Predator and Aliens, if you want a smaller taste, and the America trade is a classic Dredd story. But otherwise, the Case Files are chronological so you don't need to worry if you want to try Psi Judge Anderson as well it's not hard to seed them in alongside Dredd.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Metalshark posted:

The Judge Dredd Case Files are nice chunky collections of a year of Judge Dredd stories each. While many essential elements are in place from the off with Case Files 1, it is goofier and so I've seen people recommend starting at Case Files 5. I started from 1 and worked my through to 15 before being seduced by Marvel comics, but I do intend to come back one day. They go full colour in Case Files 12 FYI, if black & white comics might put you off, and I believe the 90s was a down period for Dredd, but that's from what I recall from others, as I didn't get that far.

Of course, early goofiness cohering into something grimmer and darker, though still frequently funny, is very Games Workshop.
There are also fun crossovers with (variously) Batman, Predator and Aliens, if you want a smaller taste, and the America trade is a classic Dredd story. But otherwise, the Case Files are chronological so you don't need to worry if you want to try Psi Judge Anderson as well it's not hard to seed them in alongside Dredd.

It looks like, for whatever reason, I already have Complete Casefiles 1-27 in my library (including what I assume is re-released colorized 1-5?), I'll give 5 a look.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Find something written by Dan Abnett and go from there for broader 2000AD exposure I guess.

The Ballad of Halo Jones is basically Necromunda too, it's really worth reading.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Ardent Communist posted:

This sounds amazing. Would love to read this.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yiiiisssssssssss.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The first thing I thought of was American History X.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished the Warmaster. I really liked it but it could have done with another 200 pages.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Now I'm really pissed off at that song since, on reflection, "Emperor"/"To The Emperor" scans way better than "Redeemer"/"The Redeemer".

That being said, I think I've found my Entrance Theme once they release for Newcromunda?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 11, 2018

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Now I'm really pissed off at that song since, on reflection, "Emperor"/"To The Emperor" scans way better than "Redeemer"/"The Redeemer".

Youre hella wrong.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just popping in to say I recently found The Regimental Standard and think it's the bee's knees. I guess it's technically not part of the Black Library, but it's got a lot of neat fluff., I'm surprised it's not in the OP.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

It looks like, for whatever reason, I already have Complete Casefiles 1-27 in my library (including what I assume is re-released colorized 1-5?), I'll give 5 a look.

Casefiles 28-30 are currently available to add to your library.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Willy Style posted:

The first thing I thought of was American History X.
That may be intentional.

I do love that old comic though, it was great.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Anybody listen to any of the agents of the throne audio dramas? Are they well produced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Had to doublecheck that wasn't from Nemesis the Warlock