Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Have you considered blueberries? You can make an actual small hedge.

that'd get bigger than I want. By "small" i mean like a couple feet in height max in this particular spot -- nothing above knee height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Thinking about buying some cherry trees and attempting a Belgian Fence espalier. Any tips or tricks I should know? I'm in 5b if it matters.

Also, there's a pretty large flower bed in my front yard which has been completely overrun with some kind of creeping vine and it really sucks. I want to make a plan to remove it now while most of it is still dormant, but there's still a TON. Is there any easy way to remove it while maintaining the perennial flowers, or is the only answer to go out there and start pulling like crazy?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Word. Curious to why the rosemary died, though. I'm in 8b and people landscape with it here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Word. Curious to why the rosemary died, though. I'm in 8b and people landscape with it here.

I know that "rye grass blast" was moving through the neighborhood, so that could have done it? maybe> I have one remaining plant that's alive.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Has anyone ever fashioned a jalouise (sp?) from a plastic greenhouse frame? Still having airflow issues with my covered frames. Nevermind the pests that enter the shelves and can't escape without destroying my seedlings... :sad:

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 29, 2018

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mozi posted:

I'm dealing with a headache-inducing aphid issue in my greenhouse; introduced some of those parasitic wasps a week ago but obviously it will take longer than that to have any effect. Getting some ladybugs to assist for the time being, but should I reintroduce more wasps in a week or two? I have some flowering plants so they have something to eat.

Nasturtiums make good aphid traps. You can also just pick the aphids off by hand (at least, brush off the denser regions and generally reduce the population).

The other thing to look into are ants. Those fuckers farm aphids, deliberately spreading them around your plants. If you have an active ant nest nearby, you may want to consider poisoning it. Borax is a pretty gentle ant poison if you don't want to go for something stronger.

Mikey Purp posted:

Thinking about buying some cherry trees and attempting a Belgian Fence espalier. Any tips or tricks I should know? I'm in 5b if it matters.

Also, there's a pretty large flower bed in my front yard which has been completely overrun with some kind of creeping vine and it really sucks. I want to make a plan to remove it now while most of it is still dormant, but there's still a TON. Is there any easy way to remove it while maintaining the perennial flowers, or is the only answer to go out there and start pulling like crazy?

In general with invasive vining things, you just gotta go out there and start pulling like crazy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/UrsulaV/status/979442033726287872

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*Taps head*
Know can know if your a bad gardener if you destroy the evidence

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
cats are worse than deer man need to build a fence around my window

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

cats are worse than deer man need to build a fence around my window

the only thing i have found to stop the neighborhood feral cats from digging up the dirt around my rose bushes and making GBS threads in it is chicken wire laid on top with the ends buried in the ground. none of the chemical cat deterrent products do anything. i didn't try mothballs though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I feel bad for you about that. I have a feral cat that sort of lives under my porch and doesn't dig anything up. The squirrels dig up everything when the cat isn't lying around in the sun and I haven't seen rabbits or any living rats/mice since it adopted my yard. It's one of the better things that's happened to my garden in the last year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Right plant right place.

Rosemary and sage are mediterranean herbs so they want a dry, low nutrient, poor soil. If you have nice soil then you have to add a shitload of gravel and sand and make sure the water can really drain out so you don’t end up making yourself a stagnant plant bucket.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This hurts me on many levels. other people have done the research already, plants haven’t needed to be sacrificed for 100 years :( :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

learnincurve posted:

Right plant right place.

Rosemary and sage are mediterranean herbs so they want a dry, low nutrient, poor soil. If you have nice soil then you have to add a shitload of gravel and sand and make sure the water can really drain out so you don’t end up making yourself a stagnant plant bucket.

Yeah, I think that's what happened.

Are there other herbs you'd suggest instead?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think that's what happened.

Are there other herbs you'd suggest instead?

I would say, based on med herbs not liking the patch, you could try: parsley, dill, fennel and cilantro :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

learnincurve posted:

I would say, based on med herbs not liking the patch, you could try: parsley, dill, fennel and cilantro :)

thanks!

I did have some success planting fennel already. The theory was to have a herb garden out front that would look nice and provide fresh herbs when we're cooking. I think I'll try the parsley and cilantro because it's always useful to have those fresh. Thanks!

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm being ambitious with my planting this year, got lots of seeds to sow and got lots of plans. Was looking for advice about how best to record my plans and track progress, should I buy a garden planner, use a spreadsheet, start a blog or is there an app for this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
RHS allotment journal, has advice and stuff but I use mine as a diary - nice thick pages so you can use a fountain pen.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a 2018 calendar from Day-Timers (my dad buys me one every year) that I use to map out important start/sow/transplant dates, and then in the monthly notes section I keep track of when and where I actually did those things. I also have a separate journal I use to keep track of miscellaneous stuff like what plants did well or poorly in which locations, and how long it took X varietal to produce fruit, etc.

Finally I have a few spreadsheets in Google sheets that I use to keep track of seed types and quantities because I accidentally kept buying the same seeds over and over again.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for the ideas,
I just don't want to forget what I've done or forget to do important things. My day job is quite demanding and I know if I don't write my garden stuff down I will forget it!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I spent some time in the past year (location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) growing things in pots to try and have some herbs on hand and maybe be able to make a curry with some home-grown peppers. So far I have determined that even I cannot kill basil in a pot.

Now that spring has arrived, I'm trying out some new things, including planting some thornless blackberries against my back fence, in the hope that this would eventually turn into something low-maintenance that I just have to keep trimming back. I also have two mandarin orange trees in pots.

Because I have difficulty stopping a thing once I start, I now find myself thinking about building raised beds in the backyard and other crazy projects, but my practical outdoor skills are pretty low. I have a pretty big fenced-in back yard, but I also have a dog in that yard. I have some additional space outside the fence where the power lines run, but it might be vulnerable to deer and suchlike.

What books would people recommend as a guide for someone who wants to start gardening but honestly has no practical experience and is unfamiliar with getting dirt under their fingernails at all?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I like How to Grow More Vegetables by Jeavons and The Resilient Garderner by Dieppe, but you may want to get something like Square Foot Gardening if you're just starting out.

Also the Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening is kinda out of date but a pretty great book regardless (especially if you can find a second hand copy cheap). Oh yeah it looks like there's an updated version too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I managed to kill all but one of my kale starts somehow they were supposed to be hardy

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Rand Brittain posted:

What books would people recommend as a guide for someone who wants to start gardening but honestly has no practical experience and is unfamiliar with getting dirt under their fingernails at all?

If American, Google your state + "master gardener" or "extension office". Local garden groups and universities put together regional guides that are fantastic - specific to your region with a lot of practical advice. I found this PDF for my state doing just that: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/id/id128/id128.pdf

I would also recommend hitting up your local library and just paging through the gardening section. There are a lot of different kinds of gardening books, like layout and planning guides, botanic guides to plants, photo books of different garden styles, and guides on how to compost and build garden structures. I recommend picking up a variety and figuring out what kind of reference is best for you. Start with anything published by Rodale - they produce some nice books.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
So the previous owner of our house has a defunct hot tub built flush into the deck measuring about 6'x7', with depth varying from~ 24-36". One of my spring chores is to cut it out so we can redo the planks and reclaim it as useable space.

Please talk me out of drilling holes into the sides and turning it into a giant sub-irrigated planter.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fill it with peat moss and make a loving deck bog.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Hubis posted:

Please talk me out of drilling holes into the sides and turning it into a giant sub-irrigated planter.

How about a pond for raising perch or tilapia? Fresh fish right out the back door!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it too late in the year to start a container garden? I wanna grow some San Marzano tomatoes and a bunch of peppers, and when I have the money I want to set some of these up on the side of my house and grow herbs in them. I’m in Zone 8B in Texas.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 11, 2018

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is it too late in the year to start a container garden? I wanna grow some San Marzano tomatoes and a bunch of peppers, and when I have the money I want to set some of these up on the side of my house and grow herbs in them. I’m in Zone 8B in Texas.

If your summers are anything like mine on the other side of the Gulf, I'd wait until September to start those tomatoes from cuttings. My December container peppers are struggling to keep up with the afternoon heat, and that's without accounting for the coming insect swarms. Determinate, drought resistant cultivars will help you once they're growing, as will hanging baskets or trellises for the vines.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pillow Armadillo posted:

If your summers are anything like mine on the other side of the Gulf, I'd wait until September to start those tomatoes from cuttings. My December container peppers are struggling to keep up with the afternoon heat, and that's without accounting for the coming insect swarms. Determinate, drought resistant cultivars will help you once they're growing, as will hanging baskets or trellises for the vines.

I don’t know if that’ll work. I’m hoping to move to another city in mid-to-late August.

I’m really hoping I can put together a small garden sometime soon this year. San Marzano tomatoes and okra in some huge empty cat litter buckets on my patio, like 12 different kinds of peppers in the ground along the south side of my house (I might put the tomatoes here too), and a whole lot of herbs on my house wall right near where I want to plant the peppers.

The ground on the south of my house is perfect for gardening. That area gets a ton of sun, it’s right near a hose spout, and the dirt was replaced with garden soil about a decade and a half ago as part of an ill-fated attempt to plant a vegetable garden. There’s a bunch of weeds growing there now, but hopefully once I hit all that with some organic herbicide I should be good to go.

EDIT: For the okra I’m trying to decide between Clemson spineless and Louisiana green velvet. I’m leaning toward the Clemson spineless, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I should know about either one of them. Like does one taste better than the other, or is one easier to grow/better for pickling/better for frying/better for gumbo/etc?

EDIT 2: I’m also wondering if there’s any benefit to using organic okra seed as opposed to conventional, or if it’s just personal preference.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 12, 2018

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

EDIT 2: I’m also wondering if there’s any benefit to using organic okra seed as opposed to conventional, or if it’s just personal preference.

I'm too far north for growing okra, but whether seeds are organic or not shouldn't matter. The tiny amount of pesticide that could've been taken up into a seed is background noise, at worst (heirloom seeds usually grow tastier plants than regular, but that's a whole different thing).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Brass Key posted:

I'm too far north for growing okra, but whether seeds are organic or not shouldn't matter. The tiny amount of pesticide that could've been taken up into a seed is background noise, at worst (heirloom seeds usually grow tastier plants than regular, but that's a whole different thing).

It's down to whether you care about the environment in which the seeds were grown.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hi goons. I'm moving to a new place and want to start a balcony garden. However, my balcony faces NNW and there's another one above us, so it doesn't get a whole lot of direct sunlight, maybe 3-4 hours in the afternoon. Growing heirloom tomatoes and basil seems off the table, but what can I get away with? I'm in San Jose, CA so I have a nice Mediterranean climate to work with.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Most fruiting plants will have a tough time with that amount of light, but there are quite a few herbs that'll do just fine with with partial shade. Mint, parsley, cilantro, thyme, shiso, etc. There are also a lot of leafy greens and root veggies that'll survive in partial shade, they just won't be as big as their full-sun siblings.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah shade is especially good for leafy greens as they're less likely to bolt.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Good to know, thanks Goons. I have a half wine barrel that will take on leafy green + compost duty and I'm planning to build an elevated divided planter for herbs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im making another attempt at growing potatoes. I grew 4 bags of them last year, and while they were all beautiful plants, not one potato was found. Now im watching some old fart on youtube explain how he grows potatoes in 5 gallon buckets. Yield will be lower, but I want *something* at least. Also i'm trying those magic molly purple potatoes because gimmicks are a way of life for me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So far this week I’ve managed to get my potatoes in the allotment and cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, radish, spring onion, beetroot and carrots in the garden patch. Still need to rake half my allotment patch for seeds and get my onion sets in. Supid late spring.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

buglord posted:

Im making another attempt at growing potatoes. I grew 4 bags of them last year, and while they were all beautiful plants, not one potato was found. Now im watching some old fart on youtube explain how he grows potatoes in 5 gallon buckets. Yield will be lower, but I want *something* at least. Also i'm trying those magic molly purple potatoes because gimmicks are a way of life for me.

Did he say that for every 60l worth of compost you need only 2 or 3 seed potatoes? Honestly, you can just slash the bottom of a empty compost bag or potato sack for drainage, fill it half way up with a compost with added manure, place your potatoes and then cover 6 inches. As they grow add the rest of the bag to earth them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I seem to be incapable of sprouting tomatoes - my tomatillos, peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, and basil all sprouted but two varieties of tomatoes have refused to sprout.

I'm using a seed sprouting cloche and a warming mat. Any suggestions to debug?