Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Joe, sit at the desk.

Or we're going to make Barack sit there again.

Edit: that's a hell of a page starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Midjack posted:

Joe, sit at the desk.

Or we're going to make Barack sit there again.

Edit: that's a hell of a page starter.

lol

Though my fave will always be https://imgur.com/gallery/XgS2w

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The drastic change in the annunciation of key and well established devices was really jarring. Their voice direction in my opinion feels kinda flat compared to how the cast had rounded into shape by the end of the TV dub.

This didn't get any love.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oops wrong thread lol

Yep, eva and trump. My brain is forever broken.

Mike Pence would 1000% sit on the SEELE counsel if he was asked

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Mike Pence would 1000% sit on the SEELE counsel if he was asked
Isn't Pence unable to go anywhere without his... wife? mom? One or the other.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wark Say posted:

The perfect candidate to pilot Unit-04 :v:

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

It's his wife, but he calls her "Mother". So yeah he would probably fit right in at SEELE.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I used to live in Indiana, and when I moved away from there in 2014 (To a place I wasn't exactly thrilled to be going to) I at least took solace in knowing I wouldn't have to live under the governance of Mike loving Pence anymore.

Cruelest joke in the loving universe was played on me when Trump announced his Vice President pick. That itself felt like some Evangelion-esque plot development.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 20, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Safety Biscuits posted:

This didn't get any love.

Thanks. I knew someone would understand.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ykarps/status/975415746976210944?s=09

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

And a card-based RPG at that. Evageeks has some scans from the book itself, though not all of them.

Sadly it was never fan-translated, but anyone that really wants to play an Evangelion tabletop RPG could probably make a decent system using GURPS as the base.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can make just about anything out of GURPS but I don't know that I'd call the results "decent." :v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can make just about anything out of GURPS but I don't know that I'd call the results "decent." :v:

It would be way better than the time I tried to do an Evangelion campaign using a modified version of the setting and mechanics of 4th Edition Shadowrun. My group and I didn't take it very seriously but drat if it wasn't some hacked-together weird bullshit.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

RZApublican posted:

And a card-based RPG at that. Evageeks has some scans from the book itself, though not all of them.

Sadly it was never fan-translated, but anyone that really wants to play an Evangelion tabletop RPG could probably make a decent system using GURPS as the base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CthulhuTech

Always wanted to run a campaign with this as a base.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tormented posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CthulhuTech

Always wanted to run a campaign with this as a base.

CthulhuTech is a really bad game both mechanically and thematically. It's basically a transparent Evangelion / Macross mashup with a rape fetish, and their dice pool mechanic produces odds that look like this: http://anydice.com/

There's a F&F review here, if you want more detail on how bad an idea this is: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech/

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If it were me I'd either run it in a narrative/storygame system and focus on interpersonal drama between the pilots (so, like, an Evangelion hack of Monsterhearts), or pick some system that has balanced and varied tactical combat and focus more on the "defend your base from the monster of the week" aspect. Fragged Empire was designed to emulate X-Com (which is pretty close to Evangelion for these purposes) and has rules for players to fight both on foot and in starships, which you could probably tweak to use for mechs instead, but all kinds of things could work; FE is just what I know.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 20, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's not a real Eva ttrpg if your combat power isn't completely dependent on your relationship with your dead mom.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 20, 2018

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'm pretty sure I did once see a PbtA hack for Evangelion. I'll have a look later to see if I saved it or not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's a pretty in-depth Dark Heresy hack for Eva, that could maybe work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I haven't actually played it (or looked too much at it...or really have anything more than a surface level knowledge about it), but isn't Bliss Stage supposed to be heavily Evangelion inspired? How well does that play?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

My friend and I have been working on a Gundam based Dungeon World mod for over a year now that could probably be rigged to fit in Eva (I even made a joke sheet for Unit 01).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hah, I just recorded a podcast ABOUT Evangelion with this guy last night

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it were me I'd either run it in a narrative/storygame system and focus on interpersonal drama between the pilots (so, like, an Evangelion hack of Monsterhearts), or pick some system that has balanced and varied tactical combat and focus more on the "defend your base from the monster of the week" aspect. Fragged Empire was designed to emulate X-Com (which is pretty close to Evangelion for these purposes) and has rules for players to fight both on foot and in starships, which you could probably tweak to use for mechs instead, but all kinds of things could work; FE is just what I know.

Someone ran Hillfolk's Drama System with a different tactical game for big boy fights. In the EVA? Action time. Out of the EVA? Time to hurt each other's feelings.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's a pretty in-depth Dark Heresy hack for Eva, that could maybe work.

Adeptus Evangelion.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Adeptus Evangelion has been discontinued, so I think 2.5 or something is the last complete release, but I actually did run an AdEva game six or seven years back and it was pretty competent. Balance is a little all over the place and the writers introduced some kinda dumb weapons to round out the arsenal a bit, but it handled actual Eva on Angel combat and the collateral damage aspects of that event pretty well.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 21, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Unmature posted:

Hah, I just recorded a podcast ABOUT Evangelion with this guy last night

I’d give that a listen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I’d give that a listen.

It's gonna be a Patreon-exclusive show. It premieres April 1st here https://www.patreon.com/cartoons101

I'm super excited for it. Already recorded a few episodes with some great podcasters that I love like Tristan Cooper, Bob Mackey, Henry Gilbert, Dawn from the Anime Nostalgia Podcast and some more to come. Gonna have some cool interviews mixed in too.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let's talk about Kaworu, time looping, and the point of Rebuild for a moment.

What's the purpose of Kaworu time looping? I always thought it was cool when I first learned about it from Super Robot Wars (in which the Evangelion scenarios had input by Anno). But 3.0 didn't provide any info to talk about what time looping is supposed to do or how it is supposed to accomplish it. Based on the way Kaworu's character was handled in 3.0 you might as well forget that he appeared in the previous two movies.

In SRW, the characters get to live happily ever after. But is this what really Evangelion is about?

I always thought End of Evangelion was a hopeful movie and the ending was fine. Since it's so ambiguous, you can interpret anything you want out of it. My interpretation is that Shinji learned from the events of the movie and will live out the rest of his life according to what he learned in Instrumentality. I think it helped him come to term with his parents and the meaning of his life.

Sure, it might have been objectively better that Shinji never experienced those events at all. But in real life, there's no point in wishing otherwise. Thus I feel like Kaworu's time looping cheapens the original series, because it says what happened wasn't good enough. (It doesn't seem to have worked out in the end, so I wonder if Anno is throwing the finger at people who love this theory.)

Now I have no idea where Anno is going with Final (or if it will ever be made). But Shinji supposedly being a seed of life or whatever also rubs me the wrong way. What's the point of of it when the original series was meant to be about personal issues?

If it were up to me, Rebuild would be about the basics: Shinji and his issues with his self-esteem/parents. Kaworu's time in rebuild would be about using his looping experience to help Shinji deal with his problems in a better way, not making them worse. The result would be in the final scene, we have Shinji standing on the original beach, seeing the ghost Rei, and waving to her before turning around to leave and joining the rest of the survivors.

Now this also cheapens EoE but at least it makes people feel good and I think gives Kaworu a realistic purpose. Compared to 3.0 where he has a really ambiguous purpose and has failed in it. (Or can someone tell me how Kaworu can still be successful)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ehh I’m not sure. The problem with another story about Shinji dealing with his personal problems / parents is that we’ve already got that story. Why tell it again? I do like the slight aspects the Rebuilds have of Shinji going TOO overboard when he gets in the robot and prematurely causes third impact. I think that could be an interesting story to examine - yeah, it’s good to not be so guarded and to believe in yourself more, but too much of it can be bad.

The rebuilds haven’t leaned super heavily into this yet, but I think they could really make it A Thing in 4.44 if they wanted to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There are no time loops in Rebuild.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ehh I’m not sure. The problem with another story about Shinji dealing with his personal problems / parents is that we’ve already got that story. Why tell it again? I do like the slight aspects the Rebuilds have of Shinji going TOO overboard when he gets in the robot and prematurely causes third impact. I think that could be an interesting story to examine - yeah, it’s good to not be so guarded and to believe in yourself more, but too much of it can be bad.

The rebuilds haven’t leaned super heavily into this yet, but I think they could really make it A Thing in 4.44 if they wanted to.
I don't really understand how you think Rebuild hasn't leaned heavily into this. Its like the big point of the end of 2.22, and 3.33 is Shinji making the same mistake again.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2018

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

There are no time loops in Rebuild.
I don't really understand how you think Rebuild hasn't leaned heavily into this. Its like the big point of the end of 2.22, and 3.33 is Shinji making the same mistake again.

It's heavily implied that Kaworu is a time looper in SRW, and there's been at least one interview (with Kaworu's voice actor) suggesting that he is a timelooper in Rebuild. I think a lot of Kaworu fans have taken it to be fact.

What mistake did Shinji make in the anime series? There's no way he or anyone else could have prevented the events of EoE from happening. I guess it's too bad that he also wanted Instrumentality to happen after witnessing a series of traumatic events.

As for Rebuild, I have no idea what is happening with the internal logic of that world, so I also have no idea who made what mistake. The best explanation I've seen for what happened involves a clone Shinji, which makes a lot of sense but is also stupid.

The setting of 3.0 is also uncompelling. The Earth is hosed and it seems that 99% of people are already dead. In that case, what are the stakes? WILLE is not sympathetic to me so that doesn't help matters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Tbh It’s been so long since I watched rebuild 3 that I forgot it was so heavy in it, I mostly just remember it being the end of 2, and then 3 passively as the aftermath of 2. I really need to rewatch them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's heavily implied that Kaworu is a time looper in SRW, and there's been at least one interview (with Kaworu's voice actor) suggesting that he is a timelooper in Rebuild. I think a lot of Kaworu fans have taken it to be fact.

As for Rebuild, I have no idea what is happening with the internal logic of that world, so I also have no idea who made what mistake. The best explanation I've seen for what happened involves a clone Shinji, which makes a lot of sense but is also stupid.

The setting of 3.0 is also uncompelling. The Earth is hosed and it seems that 99% of people are already dead. In that case, what are the stakes? WILLE is not sympathetic to me so that doesn't help matters.
The SRW games, as fun as they are, are basically just fanfiction and completely irrelevant to the plot of the Rebuild movies (At best, SRW games are included among the works that Rebuild's metacommentary on reactions to Evangelion, Evangelion fans, anime in general etc. since the original show ended is reacting to). Same with the voice actor's comment- he's just a voice actor, his comments don't have a whole lot of bearing on the text of Rebuild itself.

Shinji caused Third Impact at the end of 2.22, which killed off humanity. They tell you that in 3.0 many, many times. Its why everybody is mad at him. Its what the entire plot of that film is predicated on. I have no idea where you're getting this stuff about Shinji being cloned.

The stakes of the plot in Rebuild are almost entirely based around whether Shinji will (Metaphorically) turn into another Gendo or only continue to make mistakes in an attempt to redo the past. That's all that a Shinji with more self-confidence but who is not able to stop dwelling on his past mistakes is. Evangelion, from the beginning, has been focused more on its characters like this with its world/plot/sci-fi elements being entirely secondary to that.

quote:

What mistake did Shinji make in the anime series? There's no way he or anyone else could have prevented the events of EoE from happening.
I mean, the Shinji of the original series wished for "everybody to just die" in EoE. Like yeah he was in a dark place at the time but that's not a good desire to have. In fact, its bad and uncool to want that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s unfair to call what Shinji did in 2.0 a mistake as I feel like a mistake is something you could see coming and there isn’t really any way to predict what happened was gonna happen.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I really really want to like 3.33 but there's such a disconnect from the end of 2.22 that it's very hard to like it.

It's like,
Misato: Do it Shinji! DO IT!
Shinji: I did it! :)
Misato: Oh my god you did it, you monster!
Shinji: :saddowns:

Everyone: We hate you!
Shinji: Why?
Everyone: We're not gonna tell you! Also, here's an explosive collar. Now why don't you go do the thing!
Shinji: does the thing
Everyone: Oh my god you did the thing, what's wrong with you!!
Shinji: :smith:
Kaworu: splort

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it feels like the plan shifted during the development of three which is weird as it’s largely unnecessary as he is so self loathing that he would have probably done the same thing whether they were supporting or not.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

The SRW games, as fun as they are, are basically just fanfiction and completely irrelevant to the plot of the Rebuild movies (At best, SRW games are included among the works that Rebuild's metacommentary on reactions to Evangelion, Evangelion fans, anime in general etc. since the original show ended is reacting to). Same with the voice actor's comment- he's just a voice actor, his comments don't have a whole lot of bearing on the text of Rebuild itself.

I believe he was told by Anno that Kaworu was a looper. Here is a link to the interview:

http://17th-angel.tumblr.com/post/36791631446/akira-ishidas-interview-on-kaworu-from-evangelion

Kaworu being a looper isn't an idea I pulled out of my rear end. I don't think it's definitively canon right now that he is a looper, but I think it was an idea worth exploring.

quote:

Shinji caused Third Impact at the end of 2.22, which killed off humanity. They tell you that in 3.0 many, many times. Its why everybody is mad at him. Its what the entire plot of that film is predicated on. I have no idea where you're getting this stuff about Shinji being cloned.

I read a fan idea that Shinji was cloned. It wasn't even a theory, just a way to explain what happened between 2.0 and 3.0 in a way that makes more sense to some people. No, I don't think 3.0 logically follows from 2.0, but it's a discussion that's been had millions of time already.

quote:

I mean, the Shinji of the original series wished for "everybody to just die" in EoE. Like yeah he was in a dark place at the time but that's not a good desire to have. In fact, its bad and uncool to want that.

No, he shouldn't have said that but everyone was going to die whether or not Shinji said so. Either way I don't see why it's great to have a film series where someone makes the same mistakes again but that's just me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it’s unfair to call what Shinji did in 2.0 a mistake as I feel like a mistake is something you could see coming and there isn’t really any way to predict what happened was gonna happen.

I agree but some people, like the poster above, think that he should have known better for some reason.

Ak Gara posted:

I really really want to like 3.33 but there's such a disconnect from the end of 2.22 that it's very hard to like it.

It's like,
Misato: Do it Shinji! DO IT!
Shinji: I did it! :)
Misato: Oh my god you did it, you monster!
Shinji: :saddowns:

Everyone: We hate you!
Shinji: Why?
Everyone: We're not gonna tell you! Also, here's an explosive collar. Now why don't you go do the thing!
Shinji: does the thing
Everyone: Oh my god you did the thing, what's wrong with you!!
Shinji: :smith:
Kaworu: splort

This is the shortest way to explain why 3.0 fails to resonate with me and a lot of other people.

Also the weird thing is Kaworu had a super strong AT field in the anime and could have shrugged off several N2 mines. Now he dies due to a choker? Why was he nerfed?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's one thing to no-sell something when you're trying, it's another when you let it happen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it feels like the plan shifted during the development of three which is weird as it’s largely unnecessary as he is so self loathing that he would have probably done the same thing whether they were supporting or not.

Yeah I couldn't get passed how everyone got pissed at Shinji when you have Misato yelling in the background of 2.22 "gently caress Yeah Shinji! Do this because you want to!"

It's completely bonkers to blame this kid for something that no one could reasonably see coming. It just seemed like an excuse to get back to mopey shinji again, when the ending of 2.22 had a more confidant character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well 14 years did pass by, plenty of time to realize that maybe it wasn't the best idea at the time. Then you have Misato and company actively opposing NERV, probably because they actually figured out what the real endgame was. The mark 4b "Angels" they fight in the opening sequence are a clear indicator of this.

As for Kaworu getting snuffed so easily, he mentions in 3.33 that he had "been cast down as the first Angel to the thirteenth," implying that he's not at full strength and got played by Gendo and Seele