Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Frankenstein's monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Kill it with fire!

and ice!

robert oster style

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What could possibly be the point of welding three nibs atop each other?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

What could possibly be the point of welding three nibs atop each other?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TIj5853714U

If you haven't tried one of these you haven't lived. Good luck finding one though, they seem pretty much discontinued!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lowness 72 posted:

Frankentine's monster

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm closing this giveaway and announcing winners tomorrow, so get in while you still can:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhdZsK-l91f

Also, I got some of that new Sailor ink in today (the Ink Workshop thing where there are a hundred different inks). It's nice but I don't think it's worth the money.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

I'm closing this giveaway and announcing winners tomorrow, so get in while you still can:

Also, I got some of that new Sailor ink in today (the Ink Workshop thing where there are a hundred different inks). It's nice but I don't think it's worth the money.

Trying to participate but when I like the post I get a error code! Not a big deal and probably not something you have any control over.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iznogood posted:

Trying to participate but when I like the post I get a error code! Not a big deal and probably not something you have any control over.

Something must be wonky. I’m still seeing other people like the post as per normal.

I was expecting to get, like, 40 entries and not 400. It’s all been a bit overwhelming.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kessel posted:

Something must be wonky. I’m still seeing other people like the post as per normal.

I was expecting to get, like, 40 entries and not 400. It’s all been a bit overwhelming.

I made an Instagram account just so I could enter. :wave:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kessel posted:

I was getting an error when I tried liking it in a browser but it worked fine when I opened it on my phone. /Shrug

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

Meh no biggy. Already have one of your notebooks and another one I gave my mom. I'll let someone else win ;-)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Dad Hominem posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TIj5853714U

If you haven't tried one of these you haven't lived. Good luck finding one though, they seem pretty much discontinued!

That's kinda neat, but also seems as fiddly as one of those fude nib pens.

Also it kinda reminds me of those massive 72-part swiss army knives that are like 3" thick.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

That's kinda neat, but also seems as fiddly as one of those fude nib pens.

Also it kinda reminds me of those massive 72-part swiss army knives that are like 3" thick.

In my experience they're much more forgiving than a fude nib. Feels a bit like a chisel tip Sharpie, but less squeaky.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

That reminds me, I should probably add my brush pen to the huge pile of pens I really ought to have cleaned ages ago.

For a brush pen, best bet's probably going to be 10 minutes with a bulb syringe, right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kessel posted:

Is it too late to sign up?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is it too late to sign up?

You signed up in time, but sadly no goons won (as far as I know).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhl-ZbuFM31/

The new product will be announced tomorrow (i.e. in about 14 hours from now). I think you folks will like it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Just got back from Atlanta after attending the Atlanta Pen Show yesterday. It was my first pen show experience, while I had read some articles and watched some youtube reviews on pen shows, it was still a new experience for me. It was a nice experience overall, met a lot of great people, spent more than I intended, and went to the Pen Addict podcast live recording. Hanging out at the bar Friday night was good to get the feel of the crowd and get some insight as to what vendors had and what to scope out first thing. Missed getting some Colorverse Cat, but did snag 3 other inks. Also, picked up a pen, and got a new nib unit from Frank Christoph installed in my Edison. Jim Rouse, FC's nib man, was a wizard in getting the new nib setup, interpreted my feedback from test writing, and got me going in under 10 minutes after my pen was in his hands. FC's customer service blew me away as whole: they treated me like I had spent money on a new pen even though I bought a 25 dollar steel nib unit and they said if there was any question in my mind about the new unit to call them and they'll make it right.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm thinking of picking up some Colorverse samples with my next paper order from Goulet. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I'm thinking of picking up some Colorverse samples with my next paper order from Goulet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cat!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnqtPql4fn

Finally revealed. Price point should be around the 50-60 mark as discussed earlier. I'll post more details from the cases on our Instagram over the next few days. These should be available on the website after the Chicago pen show and there will be a goon discount as always.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kessel posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnqtPql4fn

Finally revealed. Price point should be around the 50-60 mark as discussed earlier. I'll post more details from the cases on our Instagram over the next few days. These should be available on the website after the Chicago pen show and there will be a goon discount as always.

So very, very pretty...

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Oh my. Those are reasonably priced and can be used for years. One of the things holding me back on the journals is that there's only so much use you can get out of them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Something like 4 months late, but here’s the pen and ink I received for Christmas!

What color is that amazing VP which I'm probably going to hunt down and get myself? It's so subtly sparkly, I love it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MJP posted:

What color is that amazing VP which I'm probably going to hunt down and get myself? It's so subtly sparkly, I love it.

Looks like Raden Galaxy. Be warned though, it's... uh... a bit of a price jump. As in, over double the cost of the standard VP colors.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MJP posted:

It’s called “Raden Galaxy” and mine is the last one Goulet had apparently.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MJP posted:

As others have said, it's the Raden Galaxy, it's very expensive and from what I have heard also out of production so yeah, good luck getting one. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Four loving weeks in Customs and they didn't even open the damned thing. I'm not sure if I should be happy or angry about that.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It looks like a very tasty popsicle

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I really wanted that finish, but not that shape. Does it handle okay?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's rather well balanced for writing, actually. Obviously it can't be posted. I'm actually thinking of just cutting off a chunk of the tail to turn it in to a more normal length pen.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Oh my. Those are reasonably priced and can be used for years. One of the things holding me back on the journals is that there's only so much use you can get out of them.

The cases are intended to be our entry-level product in terms of pricing, and should stay that way going forward. We actually think they are crazy over engineered for what they’ll be priced at, but it was really important to me that even the cheapest stuff we make reflected the approach we were taking to craftsmanship and construction. This will allow people who couldn’t justify the price of a one-use diary but still want to support our mission to finally get our stuff.

I’m still finalising but the regular should be around 55-60, the oversize perhaps five or ten more. With the goon discount it should drop even further. I think our quality should blow everything at a similar price point out of the water.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kessel posted:

The cases are intended to be our entry-level product in terms of pricing, and should stay that way going forward. We actually think they are crazy over engineered for what they’ll be priced at, but it was really important to me that even the cheapest stuff we make reflected the approach we were taking to craftsmanship and construction. This will allow people who couldn’t justify the price of a one-use diary but still want to support our mission to finally get our stuff.

I’m still finalising but the regular should be around 55-60, the oversize perhaps five or ten more. With the goon discount it should drop even further. I think our quality should blow everything at a similar price point out of the water.

I'm definitely in for one, but what kind of pens will fit in the oversize and not the regular? I don't want to get one that's way bigger than I need for my pens... but then if I ever get something larger like an M1000... maybe I should get one of each :ohdear:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

I'm definitely in for one, but what kind of pens will fit in the oversize and not the regular? I don't want to get one that's way bigger than I need for my pens... but then if I ever get something larger like an M1000... maybe I should get one of each :ohdear:

That’s exactly what will fit in the oversize. We’ll detail it soon but the regular is for 140mm pens and the oversize is 150mm, so the latter fits a 149 or an M1000 or a longer Nakaya. The regular is designed for most normal pens, such as your average Twsbi.

A small pen can still fit in the oversize but you’ll have more problems getting it out as it’ll be buried.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

grack posted:

Four loving weeks in Customs and they didn't even open the damned thing. I'm not sure if I should be happy or angry about that.

do you mind if I ask where you order these

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kessel posted:

:hellyeah: i'm definitely interested in one, the competition to beat is pilot pensembles.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Got my FPR pens!
3 first ones are the 3 for 25$ deal. The bottom one is the Himalaya . The orange one smells so loving bad. Not my first "Indian smell like poo poo pen" so I know it gets better with time. The Himalaya is darker than I had anticipated but it still is beautiful.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ArmZ posted:

do you mind if I ask where you order these

All but one off of Ebay, and one off of Etsy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

New job means new pen so I have a Lamy Studio on the way

Honestly because I'm going from one bank to another I should be getting higher-tier pens by now but I can't muster the enthusiasm for anything in the 2-300 range.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Speaking of expensive pens, I have a hankering for Nakaya. Some of their designs are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I know Heart of Darkness is generally acknowledged as the best black Noodler's ink, but how does it compare to Borealis Black? I've been using BB as my main black ink, but it tends to gum up and lose its smoothness after a bit if I'm not regularly dipping it in water, and then it turns into almost a gel on the page and smears. I don't know if it's something wrong with the ink or if I'm not writing enough with the pens it's in to keep it flowing. I'm ready to try another black ink, but I really like the depth and darkness of Borealis Black but I need one that doesn't require constant use and will play nicely with a fine nib.