Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey my name's Shinji and my life sucks, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Something awful forums > ADTRW > Makes a lot of sense but is also stupid. The Neon Genesis Evangelion thread!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Monaghan posted:

Yeah I couldn't get passed how everyone got pissed at Shinji when you have Misato yelling in the background of 2.22 "gently caress Yeah Shinji! Do this because you want to!"

It's completely bonkers to blame this kid for something that no one could reasonably see coming.

Its almost like the characters of evangelion are not rational actors and their failures consistently revolve around reacting to their immediate emotional urges in unhealthy ways, or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are not rational actors is the laziest hand wave.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really isn't when a major part of literally every form of Evangelion is that the characters are hosed up individuals who make frequent bad decisions because of their own emotional and personal hangups.

Like even in original Evangelion 95% of the plot could have been much more simply resolved in literally everyone wasn't making terrible decisions because of their trauma, their sex drive, their personal hangups, or some combination of the three. 3.33 puts Shinji into a world with people who've been living in a lovely apocalypse for years and those people weren't exactly dealing well when they were living in a moderately crap apocalypse for years.

Edit:

Like people point to "Misato says one thing in a heated emotional moment and then does another when she's supposed to be doing her job" as a flaw in the storytelling and not Literally Misato's Character In A Nutshell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are not rational actors is the laziest hand wave.

Why is it a lazy hand wave? The guy is saying "these people act dumb", and the answer is "yes, they are dumb (for reasons related to their emotional health)".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes it’s true but that doesn’t really have to do with the first part of three.

They only act that way because it’s what the plot demands.

Really in general three is a loving mess that feels incredibly rushed which makes sense as it has a lot it needs to do.

I could maybe see the “rational actors” defense if we ever got to see their reasoning or their POV at all but it’s easier to handwave it away by intentionally not revealing anything. Leaving their motivation vague.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes it’s true but that doesn’t really have to do with the first part of three.

They only act that way because it’s what the plot demands.

Really in general three is a loving mess that feels incredibly rushed which makes sense as it has a lot it needs to do.

I could maybe see the “rational actors” defense if we ever got to see their reasoning or their POV at all but it’s easier to handwave it away by intentionally not revealing anything.

It absolutely does though.

The vast majority of the cast in 3.0 are new characters who are living in a horrifying hellworld that is at least partially Shinji's fault, accident or no. The kid caused an apocalypse and "it was an accident" isn't really an explanation most people are going to take for a kid they don't even know. The returning cast members are Misato (who is intentionally walling herself off to try to do her job, which is again Misato's character in a nutshell), Ritsuko (who is loving Ritsuko), Asuka (who is loving Asuka) and Toji's sister who is basically the nicest person to him. Nobody sits down and talks to Shinji because they're either emotionally distancing themselves or are super pissed off or they're being literally attacked by robo-angels. Nobody explains poo poo to Shinji in the original show either you'll notice, it's just Shinji's in a vaugly more comfortable situation and when he discovers the big secrets they're just as traumatic to him.

Like the only time anyone explains poo poo to Shinji in the original is when they're trying to gently caress someone else over.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Shinji caused Third Impact at the end of 2.22, which killed off humanity. They tell you that in 3.0 many, many times. Its why everybody is mad at him.

The characters say it suspiciously often - and the mess we see in 3.33 looks way worse than what Shinji caused at the end of 2.22. In fact I'm wondering if there's maybe a little more to this whole story...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I actually don’t have a problem with explaining poo poo to him and think it alone could work as Shinjis motivation to do what he does but outside of Asuka I absolutely do not buy that for any of the returning characters would act the way they do outside validating what shinji does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think a lot of this could have been smoothed over if the opening battle was cut in like half.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The characters say it suspiciously often - and the mess we see in 3.33 looks way worse than what Shinji caused at the end of 2.22. In fact I'm wondering if there's maybe a little more to this whole story...

That's the thing. 3rd Impact was stopped. There's a post credit scene in which Kaworu stops Shinji.

Scyantific posted:

Well 14 years did pass by, plenty of time to realize that maybe it wasn't the best idea at the time. Then you have Misato and company actively opposing NERV, probably because they actually figured out what the real endgame was. The mark 4b "Angels" they fight in the opening sequence are a clear indicator of this.

As for Kaworu getting snuffed so easily, he mentions in 3.33 that he had "been cast down as the first Angel to the thirteenth," implying that he's not at full strength and got played by Gendo and Seele

Everyone knows the final boss is the toughest. :v:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

That's the thing. 3rd Impact was stopped. There's a post credit scene in which Kaworu stops Shinji.

...and what we see in 3.33 is the aftermath of an entirely different incident (or multiple). Giant mouth in the landscape, giant Rei head, headless Lilith with two lances in the back, Eva Mk 6 with an angel trapped inside, the failures of infinity...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3.33 is such a beautiful movie. Where the flip is final

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Everyone knows the final boss is the toughest. :v:

The dialogue in 3.33 implies that 3rd impact was somehow restarted using the Mark 06 as a conduit instead of (or even maybe alongside) Unit-01.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Rebuild being a sequel and the time looping stuff isn't really concrete yet. I'm still of the opinion it's all kinda meta rather than in-universe.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The entire film makes a lot more sense if you view the setting and everyone in it as the kind of hell/punishment that Shinji would design for himself after being absorbed into Unit-01 following an averted Third Impact.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
One thing I noticed in 3.33, when they get Shinji out of Unit-01 they give him a designation with a number. It was probably to dehumanize him, but they also didn't seem certain that he actually was Shinji, and with the number they knew because they'd already gotten things that weren't Shinji. So what in the hell did they manage to pull out of Unit-01? Fake Shinjis? Reis? hosed up angel monster things?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely does though.

The vast majority of the cast in 3.0 are new characters who are living in a horrifying hellworld that is at least partially Shinji's fault, accident or no. The kid caused an apocalypse and "it was an accident" isn't really an explanation most people are going to take for a kid they don't even know. The returning cast members are Misato (who is intentionally walling herself off to try to do her job, which is again Misato's character in a nutshell), Ritsuko (who is loving Ritsuko), Asuka (who is loving Asuka) and Toji's sister who is basically the nicest person to him. Nobody sits down and talks to Shinji because they're either emotionally distancing themselves or are super pissed off or they're being literally attacked by robo-angels. Nobody explains poo poo to Shinji in the original show either you'll notice, it's just Shinji's in a vaugly more comfortable situation and when he discovers the big secrets they're just as traumatic to him.

Like the only time anyone explains poo poo to Shinji in the original is when they're trying to gently caress someone else over.

There’s head people at nerv, I would get not telling Shinji anything. They are bastards and I can completely get them loving Shinji over and keeping him in the dark to advance their own ends.

I admit, I haven’t watched the original show in over a decade, but from what I remember a key difference is the two shows is that, Misato, Asuka and the rest of the NERV crew also don’t know what’s going on. Misato knows angels are attacking, if they reach central dogma, they all die. She tells the pilots this. She’s investigating things as the series goes on. She doesn’t really get the whole truth into end of eva, in which poo poo’s now going on to high gear. The people are involved are rational enough to go- hey here’s what’s going on and why you can’t pilot an eva, rather than just sticking a loving collar bomb on him.

Maybe 3.00 just pisses me off because the character growth and changes that happened in the first two movies might as well have been thrown in the goddamn dumpster, since it had zero effect on the story. The fact that there are seriously people speculating about time loops and all this other bullshit shows just what a mess the production of these movies has been.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

the story is that the films are inconsistent. the vast difference in what is previewed at the end of each and the final product are sufficient evidence of that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I thought the first two flowed well enough, it isn’t really until the third when it feels like it decided to do something different

Ironically three could probably work better as a stand alone film. It still would feel a bit rushed with some info missing but that is consistent either way.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Relin posted:

the story is that the films are inconsistent. the vast difference in what is previewed at the end of each and the final product are sufficient evidence of that

This is the first time I've heard of this particular interpretation and I'm already not a big fan of it. Why even bother discussing it at that point?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s not what interpretation means.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
3.0 is the only worth-watching Rebuild because it's the only one that's different, Mari is a non-character so her inclusion in 2.0 doesn't really do anything for the story or w/e and aside from her it's just a polished retelling of the first half of the series

3.0 is good

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the climax of 2.0 is one of the best things I've ever seen on film. :shrug:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Szmitten posted:

Rebuild being a sequel and the time looping stuff isn't really concrete yet. I'm still of the opinion it's all kinda meta rather than in-universe.
Anno hates people, and especially his fans so I'm waiting for the reveal that his Godzilla was actually 4.0

e: Or he's trying to pull a George RR Martin scam and stall long enough he dies of old age before he has to write the end of his series.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

Anno hates people, and especially his fans so I'm waiting for the reveal that his Godzilla was actually 4.0

e: Or he's trying to pull a George RR Martin scam and stall long enough he dies of old age before he has to write the end of his series.

I wish this misconception would die

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Rebuild movies were becoming something different every movie. The first movie was basically a one to one retelling. In the second one things started to diverge from the original series. Then the third movie comes along and goes way too hard in a different direction. If we had gotten another movie between the second one and the third one that made the transition smoother it would have worked much better.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm going to wait until it's done to start watching the Rebuilds.

Do we know when that will be?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Agronox posted:

Probably never, and tbh you're better off.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Agronox posted:

The year 42069

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Okay I'll watch whatever's out on my deathbed. As Anno intended

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I think the climax of 2.0 is one of the best things I've ever seen on film. :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ethiser posted:

The Rebuild movies were becoming something different every movie. The first movie was basically a one to one retelling. In the second one things started to diverge from the original series. Then the third movie comes along and goes way too hard in a different direction. If we had gotten another movie between the second one and the third one that made the transition smoother it would have worked much better.
Well there is the whole Kishotenketsu concept which might come into play in a four-part Japanese film series.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Agronox posted:

lmao I decided to do this in 2007 and three years ago I figured it would suck if I got hit by a bus or something before 4 came out and I decided I couldn't take the wait anymore. It's powerful and noble to say gently caress it and rewatch the old poo poo and jump into the rebuilds immediately after EoE. Just my take

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Well there is the whole Kishotenketsu concept which might come into play in a four-part Japanese film series.

The films are also numbered like a Noh play(Jo-Ha-Kyuu), though I think they dropped the actual concept during the production of the second movie.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
impossible, anno is a genius mastermind with a well thought out plan for all the films ahead of time

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hated both 3.0 and the Last Jedi for similar reasons:

They both
  • Are unnecessary cash grab additions to complete franchises
  • Hinted at interesting mysteries that were going to be solved... (Snoke / Mari, etc.)
  • But never get around to explaining them
  • Tried to go in a totally unique dark direction but replayed existing plot points (Rebel vs Empire conflict / Episode 24)
  • Make old characters unlikable for the sake of drama (Luke / Misato)
  • Have terrible stakes (What's the point of the Rebellion / WILLE winning?)
  • Say "gently caress you" to fans

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Luke was awesome, is the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Were people really watching EVA all this time for the whatever plot about robots fighting monsters all this time and not the characters? That seems crazy to me. It's been a while since I saw 2.0 but I remember it being fairly different in the ways that mattered, even if the same story was there.

Anyways I don't know how anyone can watch the piano scene in 3.0 and not like the movie.