Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've decided that the one great thing this FANTASTIC mess might accomplish is that everyone is so much more likely to embrace the more obscure corners of fantasy and sci-fi looking not to just to make a quick buck with poo poo for a budget (like so many lovely SyFy movies of the week and miniseries and more) but to actually mine this stuff for GREAT ideas and concepts and adapt them in a more perhaps loose and freewheeling model at times. I look at the way that PK Dick's work has been adapted as a great model, to be honest. Take the core concept and the most indelible images and concepts, and discard the rest. It worked with Dick because he was NEVER regarded as a particularly tremendous and great literary wordsmith and luminary of our times, but rather a speed-addicted madman jotting down insane visions which (hopefully) maintained internal consistency from start to finish. I think he was a potentially great writer of short stories and that most of his novels probably SHOULD'VE BEEN short stories. But then, short stories don't pay the bills.

Anyway, I was reading that Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness is supposedly finally moving out of development hell and being given a short series treatment in the vein of the very successful (critically and otherwise) adaption of Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. If we are at the point where we are FINALLY getting real adaptations of the really revolutionary sci-fi that we were getting in the '60s and '70s, then it's potentially very exciting.. If the asoiaf TV series lead to successful adaptations of REAL and GREAT sci fi rather than more of the pulpy foul-smelling rotten garbage that we got for a seventh season, then this show will have done good work.

And speaking of anime I don't even want to talk about how excited I was when Ghibli announced an Earthsea adaptation, and instead of getting the REALM yazaki we got nepotism in the form of his gently caress-up son Goro Miyazaki being given the film as his first project and making lovely and embarrassing mess of it with animation that made the characters and environment look about as lively and realistic as a loving Hanna Barbera cartoon. Ach, it was so sad - even Hayao publicly said his son's first film was garbage, in so many words.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Wild Cards not getting a Hugo nomination? Are you japing me?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Woodpile posted:

Wild Cards not getting a Hugo nomination? Are you japing me?

One day GRRM's life's work will get its due recognition.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

One day GRRM's life's work will get its due recognition.

drat dude. That's dark even for this thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
GRRM's LiveJournal IS DEAD

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wow he sure stayed away from not-a-blogging for long:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

spoiler: He's talking about football

second spoiler, this is how many fingers he's shoving up your rear end

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/03/26/yowza/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

Wow he sure stayed away from not-a-blogging for long:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

spoiler: He's talking about football

second spoiler, this is how many fingers he's shoving up your rear end

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/03/26/yowza/

No, Geroge, that's not how you do a Loss edit. Christ :manning:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
With the switch, I wonder if banned accounts will work now. For a friend. Wondering for a friend.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

No, Geroge, that's not how you do a Loss edit. Christ :manning:

ha

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woodpile posted:

With the switch, I wonder if banned accounts will work now. For a friend. Wondering for a friend.

I'd bet comments get disabled on anything that isn't football.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

can I just say that this is the stupidest front cover for any book iv ever seen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The quality of that painting is way better than the concept deserves.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is "Low Chicago" a poker thing? Because, like, all the others have been stupid poker references afaik.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is "Low Chicago" a poker thing? Because, like, all the others have been stupid poker references afaik.

yeah it's some poker variant

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You'd think after all the loving WILDCARDS books they've published over the years that they'd be all out of poker slang by now...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nopantsjack posted:

Do they not even bother at this point to show the actual author of the books?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

really? I think its aight. half cat half 1930s gangster, in chicago I'm assuming. not sure how that makes sense, since I thought jokers were a more recent thing, but w/e.

Way more kick rear end than this old poo poo:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That lady is way too confident about her chances against the giant spider. I mean yeah an M4 is a great equalizer, but at that range? Then again Chompy there is about to chomp off one of his own legs so :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

really? I think its aight. half cat half 1930s gangster, in chicago I'm assuming. not sure how that makes sense, since I thought jokers were a more recent thing, but w/e.

Way more kick rear end than this old poo poo:

Can I just say that that WILDCARDS logo looks like it came of an old also-ran Filmation animated series from the 80s. I can practically hear an off-brand take on the He-Man theme in my head just looking at it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

mind the walrus posted:

That lady is way too confident about her chances against the giant spider. I mean yeah an M4 is a great equalizer, but at that range? Then again Chompy there is about to chomp off one of his own legs so :shrug:

To be fair, that spider has a top knot, and is scratching it's head in confusion with one of it's legs.

Hasselblad posted:

Do they not even bother at this point to show the actual author of the books?

I've wondered this as well whenever someone links a latest Wildcards book. Which is often. Who writes a book and doesn't put their name on the cover?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

nine-gear crow posted:

Can I just say that that WILDCARDS logo looks like it came of an old also-ran Filmation animated series from the 80s. I can practically hear an off-brand take on the He-Man theme in my head just looking at it.

It reminds me of the WildCATS logo, frankly.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

nine-gear crow posted:

I can practically hear an off-brand take on the He-Man theme in my head just looking at it.

*chanting*
HO-MON

*off-brand theme with flat notes*
do doo doo doo dunn daaaaaaa

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It reminds me of the WildCATS logo, frankly.
Out of all of the initial Image lineup--Youngblood included--WildCATS is the only one where I wonder what they were thinking.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair, that spider has a top knot, and is scratching it's head in confusion with one of it's legs.
loving wildcards out beating up on mentally ill spiders smh

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've wondered this as well whenever someone links a latest Wildcards book. Which is often. Who writes a book and doesn't put their name on the cover?

there is a rotating cast of writers, so like 5 authors per book or something. It's a bit traditional in that "shared universe" poo poo that they not flood the covers with authors.

nine-gear crow posted:

pretty much nailed it. I mean, they a totally derivative 80s rip off in lots of ways.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Out of all of the initial Image lineup--Youngblood included--WildCATS is the only one where I wonder what they were thinking.

I dunno, when I was 10 they were awesome. Super 90s, absolutely, but here's the facts, they got power to the max. They're tough as nails. When all else fails, call the WildCATS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I dunno, when I was 10 they were awesome. Super 90s, absolutely, but here's the facts, they got power to the max. They're tough as nails. When all else fails, call the WildCATS.
This sums it up frighteningly well.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
So not only is the book never coming out, but we have to wait another year for the bad, no good show to end things huh

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike N Eich posted:

So not only is the book never coming out, but we have to wait another year for the bad, no good show to end things huh

read the leaked plot notes - even if fake, they are still as good as any ending you will get.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany dies as she lived. Covered in poo poo and failing at being a leader.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The show got delayed again?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ZearothK posted:

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! How can people live with these kinds of delays?!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully it will continue to be delayed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I hope no one ever finishes the story, but instead keep creating new mediums to show us 80% of it. Can’t wait until 10 years from now when the Broadway hit game of thrones isn’t finished either.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

TellTale Games' Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 17: Still No Closure: Requiem: Origins

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
With Avicii and Verne Troyer I'm thinking literature completes this trifecta. If I was the fat man I'd be taking it easy on the mince pies for a few days.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What do other authors think of GRRM and his lazy ways? He clawed himself up from irrelevance solely on the merits of his work, then stopped giving writing the instant HBO cashed his first check. That's got to wrinkle some noses right?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jealousy I’m sure. Fantasy writers especially.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mind the walrus posted:

What do other authors think of GRRM and his lazy ways? He clawed himself up from irrelevance solely on the merits of his work, then stopped giving writing the instant HBO cashed his first check. That's got to wrinkle some noses right?

They probably feel just like this reviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIy_uLF6xI8

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ZearothK posted:

And here we thought the show wasn’t tracking the books anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If they delay the show for years and then cancel it it'll become the greatest adaptation of all time.