Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ah whoops lol. could have sworn artix found some updates to it a year or two ago though, must've mixed it up
artix did find some updates and iirc they actually did let you go past the timeskip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Endorph posted:

fantasy maiden wars, the literal best strategy rpgs ever made gameplay-wise

you have to import them off a doujin game site (or pirate them off a bootleg touhou fansite) and gently caress about with tl patches, but, well, they're good

Thirding this, they're super good.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ah whoops lol. could have sworn artix found some updates to it a year or two ago though, must've mixed it up

It does, but it's basically just Eliwood mode at that point, with the weird, broken characters from Lyn mode subbing in wherever appropriate. Nothing changes after like, C11.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Small request: years ago (possibly during Fire Emblem LP Season?) someone posted a video in FE7 where Nils was using dark magic, and it was great because he'd do his flute dance and then people would die. Does anyone have a link? I'd like to show my spouse who is just got to Nils' first level

e: don't know if it was through a glitch or from modding. It might have been posted in the FE mods LP thread?

biosterous fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 8, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

biosterous posted:

Small request: years ago (possibly during Fire Emblem LP Season?) someone posted a video in FE7 where Nils was using dark magic, and it was great because he'd do his flute dance and then people would die. Does anyone have a link? I'd like to show my spouse who is just got to Nils' first level

e: don't know if it was through a glitch or from modding. It might have been posted in the FE mods LP thread?

I think it was a quirk of Nergal's unique tome not having any sort of check on it, meaning anyone could use it and gain dark ranks off it
So they hacked in the tome for kicks and the game handles it by having Nils use his play animation, then running the tome's animation

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Found it :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPTpCWB62w

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, with the whole "Donate to Circles" thing, it's actually hilariously easy to remove. You just comment one line out of the FE8 skill system and boom, the 4th page with it is gone. If Kirb left it in, it's intentionally. Probably finds it funny.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stupid question; having bought the physical copy of FE Fates:Conquest, if I happen to come across a cheap copy of ' Birthright, can I buy that without issue or should I go get the DLC pack?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You get ingame bonuses for having both files on the same “thing” (cart, eshop app). So you can but the file for Birthright is probably the better deal unless it’s like $5.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Stupid question; having bought the physical copy of FE Fates:Conquest, if I happen to come across a cheap copy of ' Birthright, can I buy that without issue or should I go get the DLC pack?

The two main campaigns are DLC for each other. Different physical copies of them cannot interact in that way.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

One of Bioware's producers said they wanted to do a Dragon Age universe Fire Emblem at one point, but they're kind of imploding so that seems unlikely.

I'd be interested in a game like that if, yeah, Bioware wasn't about to be canned

It could be about the Grey Wardens or something to hammer home the permadeath aspects of FE

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So, I played through Terper's romhack.

Thoughts:

- I really liked all the extra scenes you added between all the units. Hope we get to see more of those as the game goes on.

- I also liked that you added a scene explaining why Artur and Lute continued following Eirika, it always bugged me that they just wordlessly tagged along in the original.

- I'm guilty of doing this myself when typing online, but I don't think the sentences beginning with and consisting of only question and exclamations marks look good in game. It just feels really off.

- Will Artur and Neimi be able to smooch in your hack? Will they be able to smooch anyone besides who they can in the original game? Cause Colm sucks, and while I like Artur/Lute I also like Lute/Kyle but the latter always makes me feel guilty for leaving Artur out in the cold.

- Did you change anyone's growths besides Eirika and Seth? Cause I was having some suspiciously bad luck with Ross.

- I encountered some kind of bug during 5x that hosed up Forde and Kyle's color palletes. I don't know if this is a known issue or what.

They were normal again during Chaper 8 so :shrug:

All in all, I really liked it and am looking forward to the rest.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Scrap Dragon posted:

- I'm guilty of doing this myself when typing online, but I don't think the sentences beginning with and consisting of only question and exclamations marks look good in game. It just feels really off.
I usually see/use

quote:

—!

quote:

—?

quote:

...!
and

quote:

...?
in games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey did that new translation of Thracia ever get finished? I'm kind of in the mood for it since I just finished Genealogy.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 10, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I always read "...?" as the Tim Allen grunt

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ive never minded ellipses sentences and such in vn style formats where you cant really portray a pause or body language on their own. that's just my opinion though, which means its the most important opinion

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

- Will Artur and Neimi be able to smooch in your hack? Will they be able to smooch anyone besides who they can in the original game? Cause Colm sucks, and while I like Artur/Lute I also like Lute/Kyle but the latter always makes me feel guilty for leaving Artur out in the cold.

- Did you change anyone's growths besides Eirika and Seth? Cause I was having some suspiciously bad luck with Ross.

- I encountered some kind of bug during 5x that hosed up Forde and Kyle's color palletes. I don't know if this is a known issue or what.

They were normal again during Chaper 8 so :shrug:

All in all, I really liked it and am looking forward to the rest.

1. I personally think it looks fine in GBA-FE, and it's gotten mixed responses leaning mostly positive in stream chat. I don't think I will change it since I like it myself, but we'll see what the wider response is.

2. It's not a support I have planned out, but I can see it working, sure. I'm also planning on adding an Eirika and Neimi support, though I am not sure if it will end up being romantic or not.

3. I don't think I have. Ross's growths aren't actually that great, so.

4. Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Because I wanted the three of them to join with empty inventories in Chapter 8, I had to create three entire new characters and make them copies of Ephraim, Forde and Kyle. Basically, in 5x, you're playing with normal Ephraim and fake Forde and Kyle, but when they join you in Chapter 8, you recruit fake Ephraim and normal Forde and Kyle. I played with animations off during testing, so I never noticed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And thanks for playing it + the feedback! It will be difficult to add more group scenes since there are so many characters and a lot of story to exposit, but I'll do my best. I'm currently working on the ending of Chapter 10.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Finished New Mystery of the Emblem earlier on maniac. Definitely one of my favorite games in the series now; I'm honestly really impressed by how much they managed to get out of FE3's already reasonably-solid map designs by intelligently tweaking the AI / enemy layouts / enemy loadouts. Not really a fan of how many characters the game heaps on you despite half of them being useless, though - it feels like most of them could only have any value on normal or maybe hard mode. FE3 was actually the first game in the series I played back in 2010, so it was interestingly nostalgic going through 12.

With that, I've beaten the first twelve games in the series. I'd probably rank them like this.

Thracia 776 - kind of a mess, but I love its weird mechanics (especially the imbalanced staves and capturing)
New Mystery of the Emblem - feels like the most refined game in the series, I might like it better than Thracia
Radiant Dawn - the cycling parties have their low points and there might be too many OP characters, but conversely I appreciate that you're forced to use weaker characters a lot too. Plus the level design is generally very good and the height system is a great addition.
Path of Radiance - the difficulty starts to drop off a cliff around the time Ike promotes but until that point I feel this is one of the high points in the series for interesting levels. Just wish this game weren't one of the easiest in the series; I wonder if Maniac mode is actually fun or if it is as tedious as people make it sound. The Tellius games definitely have the coolest worldbuilding in the series (Path of Radiance moreso) for what that's worth.
Binding Blade - not a fan of the weird weapon accuracy but I do like that most of your characters usually have some kind of notable weakness, as well as how drawn-out some of the stages get. Easily the best GBA game.
Sacred Stones - I really enjoyed my playthrough but if I hadn't handicapped myself by completely avoiding all optional battles I feel it would have fallen apart.
Blazing Blade - good, compact levels, but the difficulty is so low it really lets the concepts some of the stages try to play with down. Whenever I unlock Hector's hard mode I might really get into this.
Mystery of the Emblem - solid, but on the easy side compared to what came later; FE12 really brings 3's stage concepts to life.
Genealogy of the Holy War - I like a lot of the gimmicks this game introduces, it's conceptually interesting, but the levels are often repetitive and not even as interesting as FE3's.
Shadow Dragon - I only played this once on normal (one of my first FEs) and wasn't very impressed. I should play one of the harder modes someday; I know the game has a lot of broken poo poo but maybe it's at least somewhat more interesting when it isn't comically easy.
Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light - neat first try, obviously almost all the later games are better but I enjoyed playing this one
Gaiden - lol

I'll have to play the 3DS games later. Mainly I'm really excited to give Fates Conquest a shot, and sometime after that I'll at least need to play Awakening too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hector Hard Mode is probably one of the most infamous challenges in the series, but in a good way unlike stuff like Awakening Lunatic and POR Maniac while also bringing out the best in FE7’s fundamental design, so probably try that with a 100% save to unlock it next if FE12 Maniac was fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Shadow Dragon - I only played this once on normal (one of my first FEs) and wasn't very impressed. I should play one of the harder modes someday; I know the game has a lot of broken poo poo but maybe it's at least somewhat more interesting when it isn't comically easy.

It's still comically easy on max difficulty, it just requires breaking the game in half using Warp staves.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Shadow Dragon's early game on higher difficulties is kind of a loving mess. Hyman (C3 boss) has 14 speed and 22ish attack. He'll double most of your army including Jagen. The strategy I hear for dealing with him is just "give Ogma the Killing Edge and hope for a crit".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow dragon's interesting if you find intensely maximized low turn count stuff and debates over which chapters to warp skip interesting, and intensely boring if you don't. ive slid way more towards min/maxing in how i play fe over the years and even i dont find that stuff fun, so i give it a pass.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The DS version of reclassing also ties into that mode of play really well. You're rewarded heavily for asking "what class should this character be this chapter" rather than what class they should be period

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Shadow Dragon's early game on higher difficulties is kind of a loving mess. Hyman (C3 boss) has 14 speed and 22ish attack. He'll double most of your army including Jagen. The strategy I hear for dealing with him is just "give Ogma the Killing Edge and hope for a crit".

Yeah, this is what has me a bit wary. Given FE1's not-especially-great map design, I wonder if annoying scenarios like that persist throughout the entire game unless you start exploiting broken things like warp staves / Sedgar and Wolf / the wing spear. I'm not expecting anything near New Mystery's level of quality but whenever I replay Shadow Dragon I do want to see how H4 or 5 holds up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

anyone able to recommend good video LPs of lunatic+ mode of Fire Emblem? not fussed about which one.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dondon151 has 0% growth LTC runs with commentary of Thracia, Shadow Dragon H5 and Binding Blade Hard that are fantastic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tithin posted:

anyone able to recommend good video LPs of lunatic+ mode of Fire Emblem? not fussed about which one.

I asked around and got linked this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9AyQVwGOs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/sisuko1016/status/990917317872648192

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Onmi posted:

I asked around and got linked this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9AyQVwGOs

KTT's newer versions of that run are cleaner and several hours faster, so they might be better to watch.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
listening to echoes' soundtrack and admiring its art and thinking "man imagine if this game was actually fun to play"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ungulateman posted:

listening to echoes' soundtrack and admiring its art and thinking "man imagine if this game was actually fun to play"

i dont have to imagine

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

cheetah7071 posted:

i dont have to imagine

I had tons of fun with Echoes on my first run. The game just doesn't lend itself well to replays. There's not much room in the design for trying new strategies or gimmick runs so you pretty much get everything your going to get out of the game the first time around.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
School publications are great. I once got interviewed at an open house event at my undergrad, and somehow the quote the reporter went with from me was an offhand mention of the fact that I was recovering from an eye infection.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time I got interviewed for being the only white person at an anime convention in Taiwan

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQmZAD-obys

Yes, Awful Emblem is still ongoing, five years later. Here's a sampling of what we've done over the past month.

For those who don't know, Awful Emblem was an FE7 romhack started by some of us here back in 2013 as the FE Romhacks LP thread was going on. We spent a lot of time in the first few years working on the hack until program issues came up and stopped us dead in our tracks. Fast forward a year and a half later and we've begun work again with new, functional programs, but this time using Sacred Stones as the base. We've had to essentially rebuild the whole game from scratch but in doing so we tossed out our old script and got to write a new one we're feeling much more happy about.

New maps and chapters will show up, character join times have been shuffled and we may even see a previously unplayable character or two join the army over time. There are a few quality of life enhancements and we might mess around with the custom skill system to slightly augment or revamp the existing FE8 skills. There's still a lot of work ahead of us, but for the first time in years we're actually excited to work on this project again.

Known issues in this video:
-Judith's Sagaris axe should be effective against mounted/armored units but isn't for some reason. I'm looking into it.
-Payne doesn't have his custom palette inserted yet.
-A line of dialogue in the ending doesn't have an A press attached to it and will skip through pretty fast.
-Hit rates and doubling chances can be shaky at times due to forests and enemy base stats. We may drop some enemy speeds a bit to speed up the maps (though I am a notoriously slow FE player).
-Since recording the video, Lily has been given an extra point of base speed to allow her to double more often.
-I wanted to keep square pixels in the video so sorry about the black bars.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 4, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

-I wanted to keep square pixels in the video so sorry about the black bars.
I cannot believe that in TYOOL 2018 someone would apologize for not stretching their video file into the wrong aspect ratio.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

FPzero posted:

Yes, Awful Emblem is still ongoing, five years later.
holy moly

also unsolicited critique: something about Fia's eyes is still bugging me a tiny bit, can't quite place it though

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im glad awful emblem is still with us

now to get my VBA for mac working again, since it's been hosed ever since i transferred to a 2015 macbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want help with playtesting or anything @ me, i play fire emblem games very fast and i think my post history proves that im good at writing way too long diatribes on the minutiae of fire emblem game balance

regardless, glad to see it back since i enjoyed the demo way back when, good luck with this