Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

As far as turning on the screen to show the time? Mine's always been super sensitive. Like I cough and it activates.

Yeah mine never was but now if I walk into the room it lights up. (S3)

Not complaining at all just weird that it would start doing it all the sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The newest update enabled nightstand mode in any configuration on the charger, not just specifically a near perpendicular angle from the table surface on its side. You may be seeing the effect of that?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Grassy Knowles posted:

The newest update enabled nightstand mode in any configuration on the charger, not just specifically a near perpendicular angle from the table surface on its side. You may be seeing the effect of that?

Yeah I'm enjoying that. I can tap my bedside table and my watch, sitting on its Belkin charger dock thing, will activate in bedside mode. Finally let me see chuck out the old digital clock radio.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Re: the guy looking for not looking at your phone advice

Yeah it’ll help ya look at your phone less, at least it did for me. What also helped was turning the phone screen black & white in the accessibility settings.

Also I‘d recommend the aluminium watch because I’ve heard the polished steel on the stainless steel one scratches easier. Dunno about the screen though. I’d get Apple Care and just forget about it. Or do what a colleague of mine does and wear the face on the inside of your wrist.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

I wish I could revert that behavior. now attempting to charge in my car during commute actually LOWERS the battery since it's so sensitive and keeps the screen lit up.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

xarph posted:

I wish I could revert that behavior. now attempting to charge in my car during commute actually LOWERS the battery since it's so sensitive and keeps the screen lit up.

Agreed. My watch sits on a nightstand with a white noise machine, and the tiny vibration from the blower keeps the watch screen lit up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xarph posted:

That shouldn't be possible - even with the screen lit the watch is using such a tiny amount of power that it should still charge fine.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apparently Sleep++ added autotracking for sleep. Anyone try it and see how it compares to AutoSleep now that both apps offer it?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I keep mine on one of these on the nightstand, forget which size it is. It fits perfectly.

I bought one of these and it's great, thanks for the suggestion. I just wish it were weighted instead of having adhesive on the bottom, sucks that I can't use it for travel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tonic posted:

I bought one of these and it's great, thanks for the suggestion. I just wish it were weighted instead of having adhesive on the bottom, sucks that I can't use it for travel.

IKEA’s been putting adhesive on them now? That’s news to me, mine are just bare cork.

I guess you could always stick it to a weighted base of your own creation...

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Whoops, sorry, I was referring to this: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Apple...ightstand+watch

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there like any way to buff out smaller scratches on the screen? I'm really doing a number on my watch. Definitely need an invisishield for my next one.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I don’t think it’s really adhesive, it’s like one of those rubber dash pads that’s tacky (until it gets all dusty/oily and you have to wash it).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've just opened mine a few minutes ago - it's not adhesive - like the post above it's that kind of tacky rubber that grips - I've seen it before but can't think where.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do the “breathe” reminders work? I configured it to remind me 10x a day yesterday, and I’ve been awake and wearing my watch (gen 1) for about 5 hours now today and it has reminded me to breathe 0 times.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do the “breathe” reminders work? I configured it to remind me 10x a day yesterday, and I’ve been awake and wearing my watch (gen 1) for about 5 hours now today and it has reminded me to breathe 0 times.

You seem to be doing ok on your own.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Watch app > Breathe app > turn everything off

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the option to delete the breathe app and send a mail directly to tim cook to berate him for foisting such garbage on us?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Turning off breathe is definitely a day 1 better experience change.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My cousin turned breathe reminders off and died :ohdear:

He got hit by a bus

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That’s cool that you guys all don’t like the breathe reminders and you can do you but that doesnt solve my problem.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: Why the absolute gently caress would you tie a feature to the screenshot button combo? But for it to work you have to turn off the screenshot feature. Just lol.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What important screenshots are you taking on your Apple Watch?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Run apps for the watch are feces in code form. Not a single one of them does their job competently, choosing one comes down to deciding what features you can live without.

They're pretty bad on the phone too, but the watch has unveiled a new tier of halfass development.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tonic posted:

What important screenshots are you taking on your Apple Watch?

I took one yesterday, actually. So take that!

I normally don't, however, but still. That's like programming something to CTRL ALT DELETE.

xzzy posted:

Run apps for the watch are feces in code form. Not a single one of them does their job competently, choosing one comes down to deciding what features you can live without.

They're pretty bad on the phone too, but the watch has unveiled a new tier of halfass development.

iSmoothRun is great, with only some slight wonkiness in the settings syncing between phone and watch. But yes, shockingly, RunKeeper, Strava, and NRC are all garbage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, ismoothrun is the least bad. But none of them are able to handle a treadmill run which is my default exercise in winter. The watch saves stride and distance measurements to Health and the apps are all "herpa derpa you ran 0 feet but somehow had a max heart rate of 175!"

To get stride I have to use my ant+ chest strap and foot pod like it's still 2010.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve used RunKeeper forever and it’s suited my (basic) needs just fine. The watch app on a first gen Apple Watch was horrible caca. Works fine on my LTE model even though the watch only GPS tracking is not precise at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve used RunKeeper forever and it’s suited my (basic) needs just fine. The watch app on a first gen Apple Watch was horrible caca. Works fine on my LTE model even though the watch only GPS tracking is not precise at all.

Yup, the GPS inaccuracy is why I shitcanned it. It seems like it would take one GPS sample every 15 seconds or so, so my maps ended up looking all hosed, with cut corners all over the place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The watch gps is bad but good enough that you can get a sense of your route. The phone gps a fair bit better so if you need more accuracy you gotta lug the brick.

If that's still not enough accuracy get a survey crew to follow you around. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How the hell are they allowed for an action to the screenshot gesture. How did that get past certification.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Probably because screenshots have been disabled-by-default since watchOS 3 and are secretly on their way down the Apple memory hole.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just use the default workout app :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

I just use the default workout app :shrug:

Yeah it's pretty good.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I mostly just keep using Runkeeper because I’ve been using it for years and giving that up is hard. If I were starting fresh I’d probably just use Workouts directly.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Molten Llama posted:

Probably because screenshots have been disabled-by-default since watchOS 3 and are secretly on their way down the Apple memory hole.

Yep, this. The built-in Workout app also uses the crown + side button combo to pause workouts (especially useful when swimming while Water Lock is on).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Yep, this. The built-in Workout app also uses the crown + side button combo to pause workouts (especially useful when swimming while Water Lock is on).

:aaaaa:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m having issues with the watch not being able to record my heart rate during workouts. I always have to move the watch around or re-tighten the band just to get it to take a reading. And then it’ll go for a few mins then stop again. I’ve been trying to clean the sensor off regularly, but it keeps happening.

Would a erase/re-pair possibly help? Should I go to da fruit stand?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deffo try a repair first. That solved a workout problem for me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Deffo try a repair first. That solved a workout problem for me.

To clarify for QoP and second their experience; a software re-pair, not a repair at the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I wish Apple allowed 3rd party music apps for Watch OS like they do iOS. :( Sucks not being able to browse playlists as a..list of songs. Instead, they're treated like an all or nothing thing. They need to bring back playlist browsing, and they need to have a shuffle button hidden at the very top of every playlist.