Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

The manufacturer limited warranty on batteries is practically worthless, I believe.

Though I haven't used it personally, I've heard pretty good things about tool/battery warranty for Milwaukee and Dewalt specifically. Like any return issue, the process is helped along immensely if you can pull up an original receipt to prove the age of the item. I like Home Depot's auto-emailed receipt (and of course Amazon/online) where I can squirrel it away in Gmail and pull it up later if there's an issue.

As for my Craftsman tools with 'lifetime' warranty, welp...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I got a card in the box with a product laying out the same fraud.

I sent a photograph to Amazon’s relevant department. Amazon didn’t give me my $10 (no good deed goes unpunished) and the product is still for sale, last I checked.

Unless you work for a major news organization, good luck getting past Amazon's level1 guys, who will just offer you a free month of prime.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

devicenull posted:

Unless you work for a major news organization, good luck getting past Amazon's level1 guys, who will just offer you a free month of prime.

Email Jeff Bezos at jeff@amazon.com

He won't reply, but there's a good chance he'll read it, and forward to an exec with just "?".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

devicenull posted:

The response I got from fraudsupport-cs@amazon.com was the following:

quote:

Hello [redacted],

I'm sorry to hear about this. Feedback manipulation is against seller policy.

I've forwarded the details you sent us to our Investigations team. Each report they receive is investigated and the appropriate action is taken. However, we won't be able to release the outcome of the investigation.

We appreciate you taking the time to notify us of this situation so we can investigate it.

Have a wonderful evening!

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
[redacted]

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

If you hated money what brand of chisels would you buy? Would you go with different brands for different types?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

bobua posted:

If you hated money what brand of chisels would you buy? Would you go with different brands for different types?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4080/chisels

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

bobua posted:

Lie Nielsen, Veritas, Ashley Isles, there are a lot of good, expensive options out there.

Though if I really hated money I would get a set from blue spruce: https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/collections/chisels

Though for mortise chisels I’ve heard the Ashley Isles ‘pig sticker’ chisels are excellent. I think Tools For Working Wood carry’s them.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 23, 2018

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I need Wheelbarrow or wagon. Are there any quality brands I should shop around for?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TheDK posted:

I need Wheelbarrow or wagon. Are there any quality brands I should shop around for?

Buy a 2-wheel wheelbarrow, then put solid tires on it and take care of the handles if possible. We got a Truper 2-wheel with an 8 cuft poly bucket, and it's been great. The tires dry-rotted, and the handles rusted out, so I replaced them with solid tires and wooden handles. Well worth the expense, IMHO. I've never had a landscape wagon that worked well.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I like this one, cheap enough that if you destroy it (I haven’t yet) you can just buy another. Way nicer to use than a wheelbarrow, and hooks to a tractor if you want to go that route.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Carts-1-200-lb-Heavy-Duty-Poly-Dump-Cart-GOR6PS/206762395

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I lost it in a divorce, but my favorite was a big rear end Jackson contractor wheelbarrow. I really like steel over poly because I abuse the hell out of barrows (throwing logs, stones etc) and don't mind the extra weight/cost. Solid tires are a must.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

uwaeve posted:

I like this one, cheap enough that if you destroy it (I haven’t yet) you can just buy another. Way nicer to use than a wheelbarrow, and hooks to a tractor if you want to go that route.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Carts-1-200-lb-Heavy-Duty-Poly-Dump-Cart-GOR6PS/206762395

That looks terrible to use if you have to navigate any steps. Great otherwise.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought some cheap toolboxes on a bored whim, and apparently they had a poo poo on of spanners in them. Turns out most of it is east German DDR stuff. A few Belzer, most WRF Radebeul. I managed to find some info, but not much. Anyone know anything? They certainly feel different from the cheap stuff found in stores today, so I guess they are either more poo poo, or decent? I'm far from an expert in tools.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I lost it in a divorce, but my favorite was a big rear end Jackson contractor wheelbarrow. I really like steel over poly because I abuse the hell out of barrows (throwing logs, stones etc) and don't mind the extra weight/cost. Solid tires are a must.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a metal bin over poly. Thanks for the input everyone!

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I recently bought a Dewalt 10” contractor table saw and I’ve seen remarks that the OEM blades shipped with them are low quality.

How do they compare to the DeWalt brand blades sold retail? My local hardware store is selling DeWalt brand 10” 60T blades for $15 and I was thinking of picking a few up for the future.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've read the last few pages of the thread, didn't see anything major, but anything terribly wrong with the Ryobi stuff at HD? I'm Joe Homeowner that needs a drill a couple times a year, and a 1/4" driver maybe monthly. If it's crap I'll step up to the Rigid tools with their LSA. My stepfather contractor swears by Milwaukee and I love his M12 and M18 powered tools, but probably overkill for the guy that needs a drill 3 times a year for 10 minutes at a time. Not terribly interested in the Ryobi ecosystem at this point, so it's not a selling point either way. Some of the Ryobi stuff is less expensive than Harbor Freight's tools right now. I'm at the point in my life where I'll spend a bit more for quality instead of throwing out lovely tools every couple of years, but don't want to overspend either.

Basically I'm thinking something along the lines of

(though I don't need the saw the combo is less expensive with it)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1..._-302859913-_-N

or stepping up to this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-..._-205762719-_-N

Part of me thinks I don't need the 2 separate tools and should just splurge on this instead

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22CT/204322452

edit: PS is there Grill chat anywhere? Need a new grill wondering if I should just get a Weber and be done with it.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 26, 2018

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've got Ryobi stuff and while I understand it's not the most powerful, I've found it super convenient. I have the drill, circular sander, weed whacker and blower. The blower is really weak and the only one I'm not pleased with but the others are great.

Disclaimer I don't do a lot of DIY stuff.

Interested to hear what others think too because I was planning on getting a reciprocating saw this weekend.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I have a Bosch 18v drill and driver and part of me wishes I bought into a bigger ecosystem like Ryobi.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just wanted to chime in with a trip report on a Makita XCU30PT1 electric chainsaw.

This is my first chainsaw, and note that I've got hearing difficulties (relatively amazing hearing, but with constant extremely high pitched tinnitus) so the volume level of these devices was a very important feature for me.

As you'd expect, the battery life is limited. I was able to delimb and section a ~40' pine in one charge of 2 batteries (saw uses 2 at a time), and I was able to just about delimb and section a larger tree (60-70', about 1.5' thick at the base) on a charge of both sets of batteries that came with the saw kit. So, if you need to be out there for hours, you'd spend a ton on batteries and dealing with charging them and it would not be worth it. On the other hand, if you only need to run a saw for 30-60 minutes at a go, then this seems totally fine. I don't have much experience with chainsaws so I can't speak to the power level comparison, but I have been a bit surprised at how torquey and powerful this saw is; getting through 1.5' sections of stump was no big deal at all. So far I've mostly been hacking up pine and other softwoods, I can post an update when I get to some of the harder stuff.

Anyway, as someone who worries about their ears with powertools, this one doesn't scare me, and I think a normal person might just use this with no ear protection and not really notice the noise at all. As someone who has ~10 acres that they are trying to do as much self-maintenance on as possible, I think this is going to cover about 75% of my chainsaw needs. I expect to get a gas saw of some kind to augment it later in the season, but that's a low priority.

Cross-compatibility with the rest of Makita's tools was of use to me because I am a long time Makita user and expect to get a recip saw and a few other things on the same platform this year. One ding against it, as others have noted: the power button will turn itself off after 4 seconds, as a safety feature since you can't hear the saw running. I don't find this that big a deal because my thumbs are not very thick so I don't have trouble operating the button with gloves on, but I understand why some people find it tempting to just keep fluttering one of the triggers to keep the saw on while idle, and that definitely seems like A Dangerous Idea.

Final note, this thing will absolutely take your leg off with ease, and all normal chainsaw caution should be applied, lightweight and electric or not.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 26, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

skipdogg posted:

I've read the last few pages of the thread, didn't see anything major, but anything terribly wrong with the Ryobi stuff at HD? I'm Joe Homeowner that needs a drill a couple times a year, and a 1/4" driver maybe monthly. If it's crap I'll step up to the Rigid tools with their LSA. My stepfather contractor swears by Milwaukee and I love his M12 and M18 powered tools, but probably overkill for the guy that needs a drill 3 times a year for 10 minutes at a time. Not terribly interested in the Ryobi ecosystem at this point, so it's not a selling point either way. Some of the Ryobi stuff is less expensive than Harbor Freight's tools right now. I'm at the point in my life where I'll spend a bit more for quality instead of throwing out lovely tools every couple of years, but don't want to overspend either.

Basically I'm thinking something along the lines of

(though I don't need the saw the combo is less expensive with it)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1..._-302859913-_-N

or stepping up to this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-..._-205762719-_-N

Part of me thinks I don't need the 2 separate tools and should just splurge on this instead

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22CT/204322452

Read page 190.

Ryobi stuff is great for the average home owner. For the price, its hard to beat their performance. Home depot also runs a lot of deals and special buys where you can get a tool with a battery for less than the regular price of just the tool by itself. With Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/Bosch etc you will likely spend nearly twice the price per tool and they rarely come with batteries. I don't have any personal experience with Rigid but most non-contractor grade tools have very similar features and build quality.

My only complaint about Ryobi is that I wish they would make a heavier duty impact wrench (400-500 ft/lbs) but the newer 3 speed 300 ft/lb is an improvement over the last one and it suits my needs for everything but seriously stuck auto fasteners. My drill, driver, saw, etc have all been fantastic for the past few years and I've never had a problem.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TheDK posted:

I've got Ryobi stuff and while I understand it's not the most powerful, I've found it super convenient. I have the drill, circular sander, weed whacker and blower. The blower is really weak and the only one I'm not pleased with but the others are great.

Disclaimer I don't do a lot of DIY stuff.

Interested to hear what others think too because I was planning on getting a reciprocating saw this weekend.

Ryobi is totally chill and fine if you’re doing occasional stuff, and assuming they honor their commitment to never changing their battery standard you should just be able to incrementally buy and upgrade things like forever

TheManWithNoName posted:

I have a Bosch 18v drill and driver and part of me wishes I bought into a bigger ecosystem like Ryobi.

I have a Bosch 18v drill that goes with all my Ryobi tools and god it’s so much loving nicer and it’s the tool I use the most so it’s nice to have a nicer piece of equipment but yeah bro g in a big ecosystem and being able to just swap out my batteries all over the place is great

But gently caress me if I’ll ever touch my Ryobi drills if the Bosch has any charge left in it

Though I do use a Ryobi impact

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

edit: PS is there Grill chat anywhere? Need a new grill wondering if I should just get a Weber and be done with it.

Just bought a Weber spirit 2 310 after reading this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

skipdogg posted:

Not perfect, but maybe the smoker thread would be helpful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just as a reminder for those looking to buy some cordless tools: Father's day is only about a month and a half away, and those drill/driver combos are usually on decent sale around that time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good idea, I’m in no rush so I’ll hold off. Good call

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I believe I want to sell my Makita 18v gear, I want to switch to Milwaukee so I can use just one charger for 18 and 12 volt. The kit I have is a hammer drill, 1/4" impact driver, sawzall, flashlight, two 3ah batteries, a charger and a bag. Would anyone in here be interested, or what would be a reasonable asking price in SA Mart? I tried going to a couple pawn shops, first one offered $55, second offered $100. I coukd futz around with getting shanked on Craigslist, or I can even try a local place called edrop which claims they will list it on eBay, Craigslist and other sites to try to get the best price. Really, I would like day prefer to see the tools go to family a goon that will put it good use.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

I’ve got a Weber Baby Q in some flavour. It is the tits. I’m usually cooking for 2-4 people and it’s more than adequate for that, if you think you need more room there are larger Q series.

A 4.5kg has bottle lasts me at least 6 months of 1-2 time’s a week usage. I really can’t recommend it enough.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I just wanted to chime in with a trip report on a Makita XCU30PT1 electric chainsaw.

This is my first chainsaw, and note that I've got hearing difficulties (relatively amazing hearing, but with constant extremely high pitched tinnitus) so the volume level of these devices was a very important feature for me.

As you'd expect, the battery life is limited. I was able to delimb and section a ~40' pine in one charge of 2 batteries (saw uses 2 at a time), and I was able to just about delimb and section a larger tree (60-70', about 1.5' thick at the base) on a charge of both sets of batteries that came with the saw kit. So, if you need to be out there for hours, you'd spend a ton on batteries and dealing with charging them and it would not be worth it. On the other hand, if you only need to run a saw for 30-60 minutes at a go, then this seems totally fine. I don't have much experience with chainsaws so I can't speak to the power level comparison, but I have been a bit surprised at how torquey and powerful this saw is; getting through 1.5' sections of stump was no big deal at all. So far I've mostly been hacking up pine and other softwoods, I can post an update when I get to some of the harder stuff.

Anyway, as someone who worries about their ears with powertools, this one doesn't scare me, and I think a normal person might just use this with no ear protection and not really notice the noise at all. As someone who has ~10 acres that they are trying to do as much self-maintenance on as possible, I think this is going to cover about 75% of my chainsaw needs. I expect to get a gas saw of some kind to augment it later in the season, but that's a low priority.

Cross-compatibility with the rest of Makita's tools was of use to me because I am a long time Makita user and expect to get a recip saw and a few other things on the same platform this year. One ding against it, as others have noted: the power button will turn itself off after 4 seconds, as a safety feature since you can't hear the saw running. I don't find this that big a deal because my thumbs are not very thick so I don't have trouble operating the button with gloves on, but I understand why some people find it tempting to just keep fluttering one of the triggers to keep the saw on while idle, and that definitely seems like A Dangerous Idea.

Final note, this thing will absolutely take your leg off with ease, and all normal chainsaw caution should be applied, lightweight and electric or not.

Thanks for the writeup! Thats pretty much exactly what I thought the battery life would be, I'm glad its working out for you. Sounds like a great little saw as long as you aren't doing anything serious. You're making me want one as a backup for small poo poo

Crotch Fruit posted:

I believe I want to sell my Makita 18v gear, I want to switch to Milwaukee so I can use just one charger for 18 and 12 volt. The kit I have is a hammer drill, 1/4" impact driver, sawzall, flashlight, two 3ah batteries, a charger and a bag. Would anyone in here be interested, or what would be a reasonable asking price in SA Mart? I tried going to a couple pawn shops, first one offered $55, second offered $100. I coukd futz around with getting shanked on Craigslist, or I can even try a local place called edrop which claims they will list it on eBay, Craigslist and other sites to try to get the best price. Really, I would like day prefer to see the tools go to family a goon that will put it good use.

Would you be willing to sell some of it or are you trying to sell it as a package

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I might sell the sawzall and flashlight separate as bare tools because I feel like trying to sell the drill and impact as bare tools would be difficult. . . Really it would just depend on what piece your interested and if I can get rid of the leftovers, I never asked either of the pawn shops if they would buy just the tool but I would guess that would significantly reduce their offer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

I might sell the sawzall and flashlight separate as bare tools because I feel like trying to sell the drill and impact as bare tools would be difficult. . . Really it would just depend on what piece your interested and if I can get rid of the leftovers, I never asked either of the pawn shops if they would buy just the tool but I would guess that would significantly reduce their offer.

How old? The batteries are worth the most if they're newer, but much less if they're 3+ years old. Brushless tools? LED flashlight? Teal or black charger?

If it's the same vintage as my original Makita stuff (7 years old), I'd say $150 is about the best you'll do as a package. Split it up, you might get $200.

eBay examples:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-18V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-XPHO1-XDT04-XRJ04/292400475503
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-18-V-Li-ion-Cordless-4-Tool-Combo-Kit-w-Battery-Hammerdrill-Sawzall/382439844244
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-Drill-Driver-Reciprocating-Saw-Circular-Saw-Combo-Kit-/232735414601

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I honestly don't know the age, what I can tell you is my Dad originally purchased the gear, he is NOT a DIYer by any means, they sat in a storage unit for ??? years, most likely at least a year. He was cleaning out the storage unit, I said "can I have your Makita poo poo?" thinking he would say no and he said "sure". So although the batteries are probably older, I'm certain they have not had many cycles on them. The charger is teal *edit* I'm 99% sure the charger is teal but I would need to dig it out to check as is the rest of the gear, I believe the flash light uses a regular bulb, and they are not brushless tools. If it helps determine the age of the batteries, neither the batteries or tools have a charge indicator. I will try to make an SA Mart post full of pictures once I get home from work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo if you've got good, working tools just keep using them till the batteries are done.

the desire to only use one charger for your batteries shouldnt drive you to sell off perfectly good tools and buy new ones

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Tim Raines IRL posted:

So I have the Milwaukee 18v Circular Saw and the thing I have noticed is that it will run the batteries down fairly quickly; HOWEVER, the Li batteries charge pretty quickly as well, meaning that even under heavy use I have effectively constant operation if I just swap them in to/out of the charger when one runs down. I expect the Makita charger is similarly quick. This isn't going to help you if you're out somewhere clearing stuff, but it's worth keeping in mind if you're around a power source.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

imo if you've got good, working tools just keep using them till the batteries are done.

the desire to only use one charger for your batteries shouldnt drive you to sell off perfectly good tools and buy new ones
I sorta agree but new Milwaukee gear would be more shiny. And if I want to buy more 18v tools, like a circular saw, I would really prefer to buy Milwaukee instead of Makita. Is it stupid and uneconomical? Kinda, but if I can sell these for enough to cover most of the cost of a Milwaukee drill/driver combo I think I will be happy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Crotch Fruit posted:

if I want to buy more 18v tools, like a circular saw, I would really prefer to buy Milwaukee instead of Makita.

out of curiosity, why?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

out of curiosity, why?
I feel like there is usually a larger selection of Milwaukee gear at Home Depot for me to drool over, I like red, and IMO I feel like they are just slightly better made or thought out tools. I like the idea of the Bluetooth link to set clutch and RPM looks pretty cool, I'm not sure Mkaita has this. At the end of the day, if I were buying new tomorrow I think most people in here would agree choosing a tool brand is largely just picking your favorite color so long as they close to the same price range/quality, not Ryobi vs Milwaukee. If I were buying g new tools tomorrow and didn't have Makita, I would go with Milwaukee, so for me having Makita just feels like being locked into a tool battery system that is not my favorite color the brand I want.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
As lame as it might sound, color was also one of the reasons I went with Milwaukee. I've always hated teal colors :v:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'm pretty much 100% makita but when I was 8 and my dad was building a shed he had one nice power tool and it was a makita corded drill and my grandpa mentioned something about how solid makita was and I think that was my power tool version of my first playboy type thing. My preferences will forever be based on November of 93's centerfold's breasts.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I like the idea of the Bluetooth link to set clutch and RPM looks pretty cool, I'm not sure Mkaita has this.

Bluetooth controlled drill is a thing? WTF? Why would you want that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So it can tweet that you just switched to a 13/64" HSS on speed 3, on your behalf. Otherwise you gotta do that yourself and that's basically all my shop time these days right there.