Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rigging is a lot more fun when you are using quality line and blocks, not the garbage that kit makers supply. :v:

Sucks that the kit makers put crappy line and blocks into the kits, but that's the way it is. I throw out all the kit blocks and line and use aftermarket stuff from Syren - https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/about-us.php

Doesn't cost too terribly much, and it's a huge improvement on the finished model, as well as my enjoyment working with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fearless posted:

I've made more progress on my longboat. I have discovered that I do not enjoy rigging nearly as much as I do planking, but if I pace myself and set small, realistic goals it isn't so bad.

Excellent work so far! Really digging your work on this build.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Thanks! I got quite a bit of painting done today, and these guys are just popping to life.

Great work on these too! Tiny figs are loving hard to do, but you've really brought these guys to life.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

Rigging is a lot more fun when you are using quality line and blocks, not the garbage that kit makers supply. :v:

Sucks that the kit makers put crappy line and blocks into the kits, but that's the way it is. I throw out all the kit blocks and line and use aftermarket stuff from Syren - https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/about-us.php

Doesn't cost too terribly much, and it's a huge improvement on the finished model, as well as my enjoyment working with it.

Thanks for the advice. It's not quite the quality of the materials that is presenting the biggest hurdle, it's my decidedly not-dainty sausage fingers and gorilla hands. I've been waxing all of my lines and it has made them far easier to handle than the really slippery condition it's in as-issued.

Also, I just checked out that site and holy cats those lines are nice. When I move on to my next kit I know where I am headed.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Excellent work so far! Really digging your work on this build.

Thank you. It's by no means perfect but unless something is egregiously bad I'm not going back to fix it. Each error is a tiny little monument to the learning process. That said, I am mostly happy with it so far.

I've been painting and building models since I was six. Most of them were plastic, with a fair few metal and resin kits thrown in there. My first stab at building a wooden model ship did not end well, but I think that I am better positioned to build a kit like this now that I am older and more patient than I was 12 or 13 years ago.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 23, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Chillyrabbit posted:

So this has been a technically 1.5 year long project. I first did the hull/wheels in July 2016, then moved which made me pack away the model and then work kept me so busy I never had time to pull out the model and set up a workstation.

I finally moved into a nice place in November which gave me enough room to set up a mostly permanent workstation instead of having to clear off my work desk every time I wanted to do something. Especially painting.

Finally at the end after trying to personalize the tank with its markings I just gave up, hopefully you goons can give me some tips/tricks on the last portion. Now without any further ado the model!

Brush painted with mostly Tamiya but used my last bits of Testor enamel paint.

1/48 Tamiya IS-2 Tank

Complete album with manual.

Things I know I did wrong,
  • hatch broke off so you only have a half hatch
  • decal applied crookedly
  • white turret paint not straight, tried tape but it just got messy that's why its green white (any hints on painting it straight with a brush? especially when the top had those ridgelines)
  • the tow cables I feel like I did them wrong but I didn't want to muck with it too much.

Things I need to really buy/do next time

• bigger brush for large paint overcoats, Since I was too poor to buy the recommended Tamiya spray can I used my brush to paint Testors enamel olive drab.
  • Blutack? A putty thing to hold a model in place so I can use my other 2 hands for something else (saw it in this video)
  • More patience..... :bang:
  • Probably want to standardize on acrylic or enamel based paints, probably acrylic since I hate having to wait practically a full day for things to dry before I go to the next step and I'm running low on thinner.

Next project is going to be a ship or a plane, anyone want to suggest something?

don't worry about the identification stripes and numbers, these were mostly done in the field in a rush including being different per which unit the armor was sent to. If anything perfectly straight lines would look worse historically speaking. The factories just hosed the armor down in Russian green

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Nthing on the figures, nice job!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

Thanks for the advice. It's not quite the quality of the materials that is presenting the biggest hurdle, it's my decidedly not-dainty sausage fingers and gorilla hands. I've been waxing all of my lines and it has made them far easier to handle than the really slippery condition it's in as-issued.

Also, I just checked out that site and holy cats those lines are nice. When I move on to my next kit I know where I am headed.

FYI, if you didn't make the connection, Syren is Chuck Passaro's business - he's the guy who designed the kit you are making! His line and blocks are awesome to work with, no waxing needed.

Note that a potential long-term downside of waxing the lines is that they may collect dust much worse. I've never actually done this so I only know what I've read from others. YMMV, etc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you happen to recall how much is rope-walk and serving machines go for? His store is temporarily closed right now, and I'm just curious how affordable they are compared to the amazing but expensive as balls Domanoff Workshop stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Much cheaper than Domanovs stuff.

I can't give you an exact price, but I have both his and Domanovs serving machine, and I used his to serve all the lines on my sloop, and used Domanovs for some fiddly block and short line serving where it worked better to have the ends very close together.

If I could go back in time I would not purchase Domanovs machine.

I can probably find the price I paid when I get home tonight but it may not be a good current price.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Also Tamiya, they came with the SU-76 set.

Cool, their molding has gotten very good.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

FYI, if you didn't make the connection, Syren is Chuck Passaro's business - he's the guy who designed the kit you are making! His line and blocks are awesome to work with, no waxing needed.

Note that a potential long-term downside of waxing the lines is that they may collect dust much worse. I've never actually done this so I only know what I've read from others. YMMV, etc.

I saw that. I might send him an email when I am done this thing (and buy some of his stuff).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Reaching the final stages of weathering now. I'm trying to use pigments a lot more sparingly than with the sides. So far I like the effect on the side underneath the serial number the best, but it's proving difficult to replicate.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's the best "baby's first wooden ship" model to start with? I saw something a while back that was basically like a little rowboat and that seemed good to start with, but I can't remember what it was.

That longboat looks good, but I'm just wondering if it'll satisfy my need for "here's what you do with this wood, you idiot" handholding.

I'm too used to plastic :( I'm assuming I can reuse basically all the same tools as I use with plastic modeling, except with wood glue instead of cement?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

What's the best "baby's first wooden ship" model to start with? I saw something a while back that was basically like a little rowboat and that seemed good to start with, but I can't remember what it was.

That longboat looks good, but I'm just wondering if it'll satisfy my need for "here's what you do with this wood, you idiot" handholding.

I'm too used to plastic :( I'm assuming I can reuse basically all the same tools as I use with plastic modeling, except with wood glue instead of cement?

It sort of depends on what you think you'll enjoy. The longboat isn't bad, but it's also very small, and has some basic rigging. At the same price, and designed by the same guy but twice as large is the English Pinnace model, which has no rigging at all for a first wooden boat (both kits have an overall length of 11-3/4", but the longboat has a bowsprit and boom which are included in that length, the hull itself is only about 6" long, if that).

Pinnace - http://modelexpo-online.com/model-shipways-21ft-english-pinnace-1-24-scale

Longboat - http://modelexpo-online.com/model-shipways-18th-century-longboat-1-4-scale

Unfortunately the models that I used to recommend for babbies first wooden boat were from a company called Midwest who got out of the wooden boat model business a while back so their models are not easy to find or cheap anymore.

I recommend these two kits because both of the models above are designed by Chuck Passaro which means that they have good clear instructions written originally in English so no strange translation issues, and Chuck answers emails and questions about his designs if you have trouble (contact him via his company Syren posted above). There are also plenty of build logs on modelshipworld.com to reference for these kits.

If you want a smaller kit with some rigging, go for the longboat. If you prefer a larger model and no rigging, the pinnace.

Of course if making what is basically an overgrown rowboat doesn't seem fun to you, then you'll need to find something that you actually want to build, but without knowing what type of ship/boat that would be, it's hard to make any recommendations.

Edit: You can build a basic wooden model with nothing but wood glue, a hobby knife, and some sandpaper.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 24, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Perfect! Thanks so much. Looking back, I think the Midwest skiff was the model I was thinking of having seen before. I'll probably go with the Pinnace just to have a little variety in this thread :whatup:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 41

A short and deceptively easy one. We continue with planking in the forward section of the ship. The manual fails to mention it, but we need to give all the planks a slight upward twist so they follow the line of the deck above.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I take it the bow will need some stealers or drop planks in there to fully fill it in?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

In a sailing vessel, yes. Luckily this is a modern ship and we're not going to see any of the planking when we're done. So what we're going to do is just lay down as many full width strips as possible and then shape some cutoff to fill in the remaining gaps. It helps that both the first and second planking are 1,5 mm thick. This gives plenty of material to sand the hell out of the whole thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Greyhawk posted:

In a sailing vessel, yes. Luckily this is a modern ship and we're not going to see any of the planking when we're done. So what we're going to do is just lay down as many full width strips as possible and then shape some cutoff to fill in the remaining gaps. It helps that both the first and second planking are 1,5 mm thick. This gives plenty of material to sand the hell out of the whole thing.

I noticed that in my long boat kit that sanding with wild abandon made the hull frighteningly thin in certain places. I did not expect basswood to be as soft as it is.

In related news, I have all the rigging done on my kit and now I'm left to prepare some oars and the base to call it done. This has been a radically different experience from what I am used to and I am glad for the learning experience-- when I started the rigging, in particular, I found that I continually refined the processes I followed to make the chainplates and so on, so by the end of it the product was far better than the start. It's by no means perfect, but I really like the end result and I regard the imperfections as reminders of what to do better next time.

My wife has been prodding me to consider a new kit in the near future. Bluenose, probably the Artesania Latina version, is something I intend to start eventually but I am open to suggestions if anyone has any for something a little more advanced than this was.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That looks great!

I'm looking at models of El Pilar, Hemingway's boat. That thing is one pretty boat.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Fearless posted:

In related news, I have all the rigging done on my kit and now I'm left to prepare some oars and the base to call it done. This has been a radically different experience from what I am used to and I am glad for the learning experience-- when I started the rigging, in particular, I found that I continually refined the processes I followed to make the chainplates and so on, so by the end of it the product was far better than the start. It's by no means perfect, but I really like the end result and I regard the imperfections as reminders of what to do better next time.

Fearless posted:

My wife has been prodding me to consider a new kit in the near future. Bluenose, probably the Artesania Latina version, is something I intend to start eventually but I am open to suggestions if anyone has any for something a little more advanced than this was.

Artesanias Swift 1805 might be something you want to look at. It's the first of their new kits with awesome instructions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

I noticed that in my long boat kit that sanding with wild abandon made the hull frighteningly thin in certain places. I did not expect basswood to be as soft as it is.

Great job, and you blew through that quickly! What was your approximate start date on this?

On the 'next kit', I would take the time to review build logs on Modelshipworld.com of whatever kits you might be interested in. You can learn a lot about the quality of a kit and the instructions by reading what others went through while building them.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Something incredibly great is coming for the wood modeling enthusiasts from Amati. I saw the prototype at the toy fare in Nuremberg earlier this year and was completely floored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2PjgeogvQk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Something incredibly great is coming for the wood modeling enthusiasts from Amati. I saw the prototype at the toy fare in Nuremberg earlier this year and was completely floored.

Their video is terrible, but gives some interesting peeks at it. Not something that really interests me at all, but I bet a lot of rail enthusiast modelers will love this.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I DID manage to sneak a photo of the prototype by security. The horrible decals were preliminary stickers. They've been replaced in the actual kit coming out in the next few months.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That drive to improve is a motivator, not a hindrance I think.

The Locator posted:

Great job, and you blew through that quickly! What was your approximate start date on this?

On the 'next kit', I would take the time to review build logs on Modelshipworld.com of whatever kits you might be interested in. You can learn a lot about the quality of a kit and the instructions by reading what others went through while building them.

It arrived on 12 April and I got started that same day so it's been two weeks and probably a total of about 50 hours. It's mounted on a base now and it's time to clean up my writing desk so I can formalize my log entries and record some of the processes I figured out for seizing lines and making subcomponents. I believe I shall have to check out modelshipworld and see what catches my eye.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

That drive to improve is a motivator, not a hindrance I think.

It arrived on 12 April and I got started that same day so it's been two weeks and probably a total of about 50 hours. It's mounted on a base now and it's time to clean up my writing desk so I can formalize my log entries and record some of the processes I figured out for seizing lines and making subcomponents. I believe I shall have to check out modelshipworld and see what catches my eye.

Really great result for a very quick time for that model. Makes me wonder if I should do that kit (except I already know I'm replacing the wood) and try to finish it in time for IPMS Nationals since it's in town here this August. Plan to enter the AVS but it would be cool to have a little longboat to enter too.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

Really great result for a very quick time for that model. Makes me wonder if I should do that kit (except I already know I'm replacing the wood) and try to finish it in time for IPMS Nationals since it's in town here this August. Plan to enter the AVS but it would be cool to have a little longboat to enter too.

Full disclosure: I am unemployed and currently in a lull between the end of school for the semester and the start of my final field placement to finish a BSW so I have the time to really plow into a model at the moment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

Full disclosure: I am unemployed and currently in a lull between the end of school for the semester and the start of my final field placement to finish a BSW so I have the time to really plow into a model at the moment.

Sort of figured that when you said your estimate of number of hours put into it. :) Thanks though, appreciate it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The SU-76M is complete! This guy sat on my bench for about 4 months, so it's probably about time. I tried out a few new techniques to mixed results. But first, the photos!

Album link

The first new thing I tried was oil dots. For those of you not familiar with the technique, you splatter on a bunch of oil paints in the primary colours, let them dry a little, and then work away at the surface with a damp brush to create streaking and subtle change in shades, imitating how real paint would fade and discolour over time. This had okay results. The bright "salad green" parts of the modulation faded into the gradients a little better (you can compare the colour of the upper front plate to the air intake fins under the mufflers, which is the only place I didn't apply the oils to). On the other hand, parts that were supposed to pop out like the tools blended in too. I do, however, like the effect that ended up happening around the driver's hatch. This is definitely something I will experiment with in the future, but maybe more carefully, since my first reaction after applying it was that I ruined the model.

The second new thing was pigments. I tried pigments before, but this time instead of just working them into the model with a finger or a brush I put down a bit of liquid to get them to stay. The first was my oil paint thinner, Taltine, an odourless synthetic turpentoid. It was easy to work with, since it dries slowly, and the pigments clumped together in it, forming fairly realistic looking mud. The downside was that it took ages to dry, and touching the pigments even a little during this process would dissolve them into a paint-like substance that was impossible to remove while wet and very difficult while dry. The dry version did have interesting properties that would make it look like rust or heavily weathered paint, which I will probably work into a wreck diorama at some point. Another unpredictable occurrence was that the Taltine didn't just flow downwards, but also upwards. This made the dirty areas less controllable, and explains why my pre-fender photos look like they do.

The other pigment fixer I tried was alcohol. You can see it on the front mudflaps. Its effects were much more predictable, but it dried almost instantly. The resulting layer was much easier to scrub off, however, so this is probably the way to go in the future.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Really came out great IMO EE. Looks fantastic. I think the oil drop thing is called a 'dot filter'?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The SU-76M is complete! This guy sat on my bench for about 4 months, so it's probably about time. I tried out a few new techniques to mixed results. But first, the photos!

Album link

The first new thing I tried was oil dots. For those of you not familiar with the technique, you splatter on a bunch of oil paints in the primary colours, let them dry a little, and then work away at the surface with a damp brush to create streaking and subtle change in shades, imitating how real paint would fade and discolour over time. This had okay results. The bright "salad green" parts of the modulation faded into the gradients a little better (you can compare the colour of the upper front plate to the air intake fins under the mufflers, which is the only place I didn't apply the oils to). On the other hand, parts that were supposed to pop out like the tools blended in too. I do, however, like the effect that ended up happening around the driver's hatch. This is definitely something I will experiment with in the future, but maybe more carefully, since my first reaction after applying it was that I ruined the model.

The second new thing was pigments. I tried pigments before, but this time instead of just working them into the model with a finger or a brush I put down a bit of liquid to get them to stay. The first was my oil paint thinner, Taltine, an odourless synthetic turpentoid. It was easy to work with, since it dries slowly, and the pigments clumped together in it, forming fairly realistic looking mud. The downside was that it took ages to dry, and touching the pigments even a little during this process would dissolve them into a paint-like substance that was impossible to remove while wet and very difficult while dry. The dry version did have interesting properties that would make it look like rust or heavily weathered paint, which I will probably work into a wreck diorama at some point. Another unpredictable occurrence was that the Taltine didn't just flow downwards, but also upwards. This made the dirty areas less controllable, and explains why my pre-fender photos look like they do.

The other pigment fixer I tried was alcohol. You can see it on the front mudflaps. Its effects were much more predictable, but it dried almost instantly. The resulting layer was much easier to scrub off, however, so this is probably the way to go in the future.

Nice! I'd like to see some more pics when you get the crew finished.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The crew is in position!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Wow, those look nice

Scharnhorst issue 42

We finish planking the rest of the the fourth hull segment.

This marks the 30% done spot, so let's have another look at everything built so far.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

The crew is in position!

Oh yeah, that's the one with Commander Putin.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So if I wanted to make some 1/72 tarps, is magic sculpt the best way to do it, or is there a hardware store epoxy alternative?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Get yourself some sticking plaster tape and PVA glue it onto the surface you want to have a tarp on it TBH.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
drat, I hate Eastern Express sometimes. Their BT-7 was coming together fine, and then I put on the wheels. Turns out they aren't exactly parallel. I had to take them back off, and ended up damaging the model in the process :( Good thing I didn't use my full set of aftermarket parts on this one. I suppose I'll have to write it off as a learning experience.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I wound up getting a new kit, the Model Shipways Bluenose. I opted for this kit because most of the other Bluenose kits out there reproduce the replica that is currently a sailing ambassador for the province of Nova Scotia. I wanted to build the original and so here we are.This version is somewhat different from the original in that the deckhouses are quite a bit bigger than what was found on a working Grand Banks schooner (and in that Bluenose II has an engine and screws). The cordage that came with the kit isn't terrible, but I intend to replace it with Syren ropework when I get to that stage. I will also need to procure a new flag as this model inexplicably came with a Maple Leaf-- the original Bluenose wore the Canadian red ensign. This one will progress far, far more slowly than the last one as I am starting the final practicum of my social work degree in a couple of days and starting a master's immediately afterwards.

Hasn't stopped me from getting a start though!

After assembling the keel of the model I spent a couple of hours meticulously marking out registration lines on both sides of it. Initially, I had planned on laying out the lines for the rabbet on a piece of tape and using that as a template but instead I opted to measure out a dozen and a half points on both sides of the keel, then used a batten clamped or pinned in place to draw in the curves. This is kind of reminiscent of the manner in which plans are scaled up in real shipbuilding on a lofting floor.

And here is the keel with rabbet cut and bulkheads added with some scrap wood used to fabricobble some braces to stiffen everything up until the planking begins. In this kit, there is quite a bit of construction that happens before any sort of planking is added so it will be a while before I get there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Very nice. The Bluenose is a beautiful vessel, looking forward to watching your progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Awesome. This will be interesting to watch.