Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've never watched DBZA myself, but I've seen a few comments recommending it to folks who want to get into Dragon Ball. I always found it a weird suggestion since the characterization must be really different or maybe exaggerated, not to mention it's taken them years to even get to the end of the Cell Saga. Plus, there's always the option to marathon Kai or even blast through the DBZ manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DBZA is not as good without prior knowledge of the series.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

amigolupus posted:

I've never watched DBZA myself, but I've seen a few comments recommending it to folks who want to get into Dragon Ball. I always found it a weird suggestion since the characterization must be really different or maybe exaggerated, not to mention it's taken them years to even get to the end of the Cell Saga. Plus, there's always the option to marathon Kai or even blast through the DBZ manga.

After the first season the characterization starts to drift from being all off-the-wall and wacky to just "canon characterization but exaggerated". It also gradually gets better at keeping the kinetic energy of a DBZ fight while maintaining a comedic tone, rather than relying on interruptions. The Super 13 movie is a good example imo. It's basically non-stop fighting while still being filled with great gags. I probably wouldn't recommend it as someone's first Dragon Ball experience but it does capture the appeal of Dragon Ball in its own way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Early DBZA is really hard to go back to because the writing and voice acting is really amateur but starts to pick up about the time they get to Namek. Also I think the acting for Freeza and Cell is real good. I honestly forget how actual Cell acts compared to his DBZA version.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Way too many of the jokes rely on the viewer having watched the original dub for me to ever suggest watching DBZA as your primary source for the series.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Glagha posted:

Early DBZA is really hard to go back to because the writing and voice acting is really amateur but starts to pick up about the time they get to Namek. Also I think the acting for Freeza and Cell is real good. I honestly forget how actual Cell acts compared to his DBZA version.

Its pretty obvious at this point that people's picture of Cell is borne out of DBZA and various videogames rather than what you really see in the series when you hear people talk about how they should bring him back or how he should have had Frieza's role in the Tournament of Power.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
DBZA Cell is just based off the dub for him anyway, moreso Kai.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sassy Cell leaks into DBFZ a bit imo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glagha posted:

It's less that and more that that personality was a creation of Bandai-Namco in the first place, starting from Xenoverse. Video-game Cell is a snarky, insulting, amazing mentor guy whose VA seems to be enjoying every second of his job.

Abridged did its own thing with a creepier but hilarious Cell, of course, but I wouldn't say they're one and the same or even connected. It's just that different things tend to have different interpretations and Cell seems to be loved for that for some reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Its pretty obvious at this point that people's picture of Cell is borne out of DBZA and various videogames rather than what you really see in the series when you hear people talk about how they should bring him back or how he should have had Frieza's role in the Tournament of Power.

Yeah, the games and especially DBZA made Cell a lot snarkier and more taunting than he really was in the show. The show just had him be all "I MUST BE COMPLETE" until he becomes perfect, at which point he basically becomes Freeza again but a little bit less of a sadist and a bit more of a showoff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Glagha posted:

DBFZ cell is absolutely channeling DBZA, from what I've seen so far. He's extremely saucy.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Cells Japanese voice actor makes me really wish I could speak Japanese

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

dr.acula posted:

Cells Japanese voice actor makes me really wish I could speak Japanese

Norio Wakamoto can speak English just fine. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLhw1mtCFA

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Norio Wakamoto can speak English just fine. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLhw1mtCFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsnxhALA-x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9079eim2LQ

Kild fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Once you go Wakamoto, you don't go Backamoto.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This burn deserved this edit.

https://twitter.com/Ju_Bai_Da/status/988513275494260737

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Mmmm on the one hand I like the Jiren Doing Things approach from the manga.

On the other hand, this is like the 3rd chapter since the ToP started and not even Kale or Caulifla had done anything. The anime at least reserved Jiren as the last new character to start fighting, and the build up was really well made, with every fighter noticing the arena trembling and the air getting thicker just from Jiren taking one step.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah I'm a lot more interested in Kale at least with how he's portraying her in the manga.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the manga sucks big time. don't read it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if i were forced to either watch dragon ball gt or read the dragon ball super manga, i might just watch gt

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Condiv posted:

the manga sucks big time. don't read it

Actually its ok and I will read it!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Condiv posted:

if i were forced to either watch dragon ball gt or read the dragon ball super manga, i might just watch gt

There's some things you just don't say, even as a joke. White Mage Trunks is almost GT-caliber.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If Trunks' timeline is doomed in both versions I don't think him not getting a JRPG finishing move is a disaster honestly.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The manga is just super mediocre. It reads like yet another fanboy of DBZ and other shounen of that era who didn't really get why the successful ones were successful, they just assumed "fights and power levels" and missed the heart.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

DBFZ cell is absolutely channeling DBZA, from what I've seen so far. He's extremely saucy.

he was insanely sassy in Xenoverse too, that just seems to be where they took him

e: my one complaint about video game cell is that they always insist on making his stupid barrier a super move

it's so lame

give him a multiform special beam cannon or something instead

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 24, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
With how that game's dub turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if Damien Clark just felt like making Cell as exaggerated as possible and the director just went with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dameon Clarke plays Cell like Handsome Jack nowadays

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Dameon Clarke plays Cell like Handsome Jack nowadays

I mean....they're both perfect.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The manga will only be interesting when it clears the ToP, and only so we can see how the anime will do the new stuff

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

my one complaint about video game cell is that they always insist on making his stupid barrier a super move

You don't want it as a normal move. You truly don't, even costing power. You don't want it as something to be spammed. Trust me on this.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Rudoku posted:

There's some things you just don't say, even as a joke. White Mage Trunks is almost GT-caliber.

The way it actually plays out is dumb, but I really like the ideas that becoming a Kai's official apprentice gives you magic healing powers due to arbitrary celestial reasons. And that Shin had no idea it would.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Cleric Trunks is one of the biggest lows of the manga. If I hadn't read it myself I would definitely think you guys were trolling

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The whole Goku Black arc in the manga was so disappointing. Especially compared to the anime itself.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Its all we got right now so I wont complain.

Do you think Zeno or the Grand Priest know about that weird board game dimension?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

The whole Goku Black arc in the manga was so disappointing. Especially compared to the anime itself.

Goku Black was the second best Super arc by a fair margin IMO

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Trunks not sticking around makes me sad :( He would have been so cool at the ToP

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You guys have forgotten what actual Cell was like? The dude was super sassy to begin with, after becoming perfect he spares Trunks just so he can throw a tournament, spends time making his own arena, gets bored waiting for the tournament to start and goes on TV to promote the tournament and he throws happy banter with everyone until he's pushed into a corner.

His disposition did really not just come from the games or DBZA alone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bloodly posted:

You don't want it as a normal move. You truly don't, even costing power. You don't want it as something to be spammed. Trust me on this.

I mean you say that, but meter builds up so drat fast in DBFZ. You can pretty much use it whenever if you're playing well.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I will never accept Perfect Cell because they ruined a pretty cool design by not sticking to giant cicada Cell and pushing for its success.
Toriyama giveth and Toriyama taketh away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zwiebel posted:

I will never accept Perfect Cell because they ruined a pretty cool design by not sticking to giant cicada Cell and pushing for its success.
Toriyama giveth and Toriyama taketh away.

Toriyama's editor giveth and taketh away, mostly. It's also why Androids 19 and 20 were rapidly shuffled from this mortal coil.